Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Ranger
Project 4K 77 says they are almost done. Maybe around the end of Jan. That will be exciting to check out.

Any updates from Harmy?
I haven't been following as closely as I have in years past, but I get the sense that Harmy is no longer has the time to work on these. He's not a student anymore and he has a real job and real responsibilities. My gut tells me we've gotten everything we're going to get from him. I think the last thing he was working on was a revision of Empire. Hopefully I'm wrong and it sees the light of day.
Old 12-26-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Fuck that nonanamorphic dvd shit. We’re almost in 2018. That crap may have flown 10+ years ago but I wouldn’t spend a dime on that bullshit today.
They're basically the "Faces" LD versions, correct? I suspect most of already had them before Lucas decided to finally include them as-is as a 'special feature". That said, I do feel pretty stupid for not picking up a copy of each LE DVD set (or even picking up as many copies as they had) when I saw them basically giving them away as a clearance item at Costco years ago. Has no idea they would sell out and fetch the kind of prices they do now.
Old 12-26-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The 2 hour Empire of Dreams documentary is still not available in HD. It's one of the main reasons why I still keep the special edition dvd box set.
Old 12-26-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the feature length doc on the Episode I DVD set also not in the saga set? In fact I think there are a few prequel trilogy features missing from the Saga set.
Old 12-26-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Isn't the feature length doc on the Episode I DVD set also not in the saga set? In fact I think there are a few prequel trilogy features missing from the Saga set.
Also Episode 1 was altered on the blu version to make Yoda CGI so he looks more like the prewuel verison
Old 12-26-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also Episode 1 was altered on the blu version to make Yoda CGI so he looks more like the prewuel verison
You mean so he looks like the CGI Yoda in the other prequel movies. Before the change, puppet Yoda was also a prequel version.
Old 12-26-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The Beginning: Making Episode I isn't on the Blu-ray set, although Lucasfilm uploaded the entire documentary to Youtube on their Star Wars channel:

It'd actually be great as a "BD-Live" extra. Remember those?
Old 01-08-18, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I know the Episodes IV - VI Trilogy DVD set that was released in 2008 is the only way to get the theatrical versions of those respective films (aside from their limited individual releases).

What's the deal with the other set from 2008, the Episodes I - III Prequel Trilogy? Does that have anything special (i.e. the unaltered versions)? Or is that particular set simply a repackage of the widely available individual DVD releases?
Old 01-08-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rjh_54
So, I know the Episodes IV - VI Trilogy DVD set that was released in 2008 is the only way to get the theatrical versions of those respective films (aside from their limited individual releases).

What's the deal with the other set from 2008, the Episodes I - III Prequel Trilogy? Does that have anything special (i.e. the unaltered versions)? Or is that particular set simply a repackage of the widely available individual DVD releases?
Nobody cares about the "unaltered" prequel movies, because no matter what the edit, they suck.

As far as I can tell, the 2008 Prequel Trilogy DVD set is just the original DVDs repackaged:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...ilogy_box_sets

The original DVD releases of the prequel films all had changes from the theatrical release in some way. The Blu-ray release had even more changes:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...requel_Trilogy
Old 01-08-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It'd actually be great as a "BD-Live" extra. Remember those?
I do, and I'm glad it didn't become the norm. I'm definitely one of those people that has kept old DVD's around because they have features on disc that are not on the BD's. In many cases, the material was available via some kind of BD-Live option, but I have no interest in trusting they will always be available. Much rather have on disc content.
Old 01-08-18, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Nobody cares about the "unaltered" prequel movies, because no matter what the edit, they suck.

As far as I can tell, the 2008 Prequel Trilogy DVD set is just the original DVDs repackaged:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...ilogy_box_sets

The original DVD releases of the prequel films all had changes from the theatrical release in some way. The Blu-ray release had even more changes:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...requel_Trilogy
Wow, this was very thorough! Does anyone know what the deal is with Disc 2 for Revenge of the Sith in that Prequel Trilogy set? Some places I'm seeing just a standard "Disc 2" with Yoda on it and other places I'm seeing the "Story of Star Wars" (which I know was a Walmart exclusive at one point) that serves as Disc 2, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. Oddly enough I've seen that this is the case for some copies of the standalone 2-disc set as well. It's a little confusing.

Last edited by rjh_54; 01-09-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I sent a private message to one of the mods because I had some information and wanted to know if it would be OK for me to post it based on the rules at DVD Talk.

The mod wrote back to me and said that I should not post a direct link, but that it was OK for me to tell everyone that the Internet Archive / archive.org (a legitimate, legal website which does not host bootlegs) is hosting a legal version of a 35mm print of the 1977 version of Star Wars.
Old 01-09-18, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
the Internet Archive / archive.org (a legitimate, legal website which does not host bootlegs)
I'm very familiar with Internet Archive and their intended mission, but 3 seconds worth of searching reveals that this part of your statement is not the least bit true.

Last edited by rocket1312; 01-09-18 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
but 3 seconds worth of searching reveals that this part of your statement is not the least bit true.
Everyone can just copy and paste this to reply to all of grundles posts.
Old 01-26-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Yea, it's the Team Negative1 version, which is a fan scan, and not legally allowed. But it's still up there.
Old 05-30-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I was searching around to rewatch one of the better segments in the "Star Wars Holiday Special"

As far as I knew, the Holiday Special has only been available to watch in washed-out Nth-generation VHS crappy quality, so I was very surprised to find a version that had surprisingly decent SD image quality:

I'm not sure where this version came from, but it's best I've seen it look.
Old 05-30-18, 07:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You were pleased? It's the holiday special. It needs to be watched in washed-out Nth-generation VHS crappy quality.
Old 05-30-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
You were pleased? It's the holiday special. It needs to be watched in washed-out Nth-generation VHS crappy quality.
Hey, a crappy show I can sit thru, but crappy image quality too?! No, that's a bridge too far.

Now with the SW Holiday Special with decent image quality, I think I'll finally get around to doing that RiffTrax sync!

BTW, I was searching just to rewatch the Jefferson Starship song video, which is one of the better things in the SWHS, and I found another video where someone synced up just that segment (from the crappy VHS version) with the song in good audio quality stereo:

Old 05-30-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

You sons a bitches! I came in here expecting a bump that the original trilogy was finally getting a blu-ray release. Instead I get a bump talking about the Star Wars Holiday Special....

*sadly closes out of thread mumbling quietly*

...the freaking Star Wars Holiday Special....

*wipes away tears*

...sons a bitches.
Old 05-30-18, 11:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If it makes you feel better, the Star Wars Holiday Special is now in beautiful SD quality.
Old 05-31-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You sons a bitches! I came in here expecting a bump that the original trilogy was finally getting a blu-ray release. Instead I get a bump talking about the Star Wars Holiday Special....

*sadly closes out of thread mumbling quietly*

...the freaking Star Wars Holiday Special....

*wipes away tears*

...sons a bitches.
Eh...you may be bitching but go ahead and admit it...you rewatched the Holiday Special.

And I agree with the original poster...that's the best I have ever seen it look. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-31-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Eh...you may be bitching but go ahead and admit it...you rewatched the Holiday Special.

And I agree with the original poster...that's the best I have ever seen it look. Thanks for the post!
Thanks. I put the link here because the most recent thread about the SWHS is from 2007 so I figured posting here was better than making an 11 year bump.

And have a Happy Life Day!
Old 05-31-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Yea, it's the Team Negative1 version, which is a fan scan, and not legally allowed. But it's still up there.
It's not the 4k77 version everyone's been talking about, lest anyone be confused.
Old 06-02-18, 05:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not the 4k77 version everyone's been talking about, lest anyone be confused.
Anyone downloading/downloaded it? I'm tempted... but the 4K file is apparently like 100GB.
Old 06-02-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I admit I watched a few minutes just to see the quality. I also admit to rewatching the Holiday Special a few years ago when someone posted that they found the whole special on YouTube. I don’t remember the quality being very great on that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.