Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Thanks
Old 11-23-15, 01:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently the new Star Wars clip show playing at Disneyland uses blu-ray footage, however the clip of Vader throwing the Emperor removes the "Nooooo!" dialogue. This has at least one person speculating that "Lucasfilm is currently sitting on a yet fifth edit of these films that maintains the bulk of Lucas’ changes while dialing back some of the more contentious alterations".

Just a rumour, but in the absence of theatrical versions, I wouldn't be upset if they did this.
Old 11-23-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shooba
Apparently the new Star Wars clip show playing at Disneyland uses blu-ray footage, however the clip of Vader throwing the Emperor removes the "Nooooo!" dialogue. This has at least one person speculating that "Lucasfilm is currently sitting on a yet fifth edit of these films that maintains the bulk of Lucas’ changes while dialing back some of the more contentious alterations".

Just a rumour, but in the absence of theatrical versions, I wouldn't be upset if they did this.
Seems pointless. Either stick with the way it is since 99% of the population don't care, or release the originals to please the small percentage of the population. Doing anything in-between seems like an awful lot of work for something that frankly wouldn't be important to most buyers.
Old 11-23-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do they know it's playing Blu-ray footage rather than the previous edit? Or even using the prints created for the theatrical release of the SE's? Just curious.

Personally I would prefer they gave us the OOT with as few changes as possible (cleanups and the like). Not some new edit that combines some of the new with the old.
Old 11-23-15, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
How do they know it's playing Blu-ray footage rather than the previous edit? Or even using the prints created for the theatrical release of the SE's? Just curious.

Personally I would prefer they gave us the OOT with as few changes as possible (cleanups and the like). Not some new edit that combines some of the new with the old.
Not sure. They could be incorrect. I read it at Micechat (not allowed to post a link).

I'd like to see a release of the theatrical prints for those who want them. I'd also like a version with the cleaned up effects, but without things like Greedo shooting first. For all of the bad changes, I really do appreciate things like eliminating matte lines.

It would be hard, admittedly, to come up with a version that pleases everyone. I like the new ending for ROTJ, but the dance number in Jabba's is cheap. Some of the death star battle in ANH looks great, but it clashes with the old footage.
Old 11-23-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooba
Not sure. They could be incorrect. I read it at Micechat (not allowed to post a link).
People on Micechat are often full of it.

They could have seen a scene that obviously is not part of the OOT. But the source Disney for the montage source could be anything since the SE's were first created, all not but the BD not having the "Noooooo..." added.
Old 12-09-15, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Can the blu-ray discs of the US 2015 edition of Star Wars: The Complete Saga (with Darth Vader striding on the cover) play in region B/2 Europe?

The product details for the US 2011 edition says Region Free, but for the US 2015 edition it says Region A/1.

Still, one can not be sure, if they are essentially the same discs. Does the US 2015 edition have Swedish subtitles? If so, that might be an indication that the discs also play in region B/2.
Old 12-09-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrier
Can the blu-ray discs of the US 2015 edition of Star Wars: The Complete Saga (with Darth Vader striding on the cover) play in region B/2 Europe?
Blu-ray.com is a good place to get region info, but for the 2015 edition, other regions so far are untested:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-W.../#RegionCoding

However, this review indicates that it's the exact same discs as in the 2011 set:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-W...7/#UserReviews
Well, shame on me for not doing my homework. I purchased this edition thinking it was an updated version of the complete saga previously released in 2011. Imagine my surprise when I compared this edition with the 2011 I already own on Blu-ray! Every detail; the disk's colors, the contents, the content's order etc. are the same. The disks even have the 2011 year printed on them. The additional features, all three disks, contain the exact same features in the exact same order!

If you own the 2011 Blu-ray edition of "The Complete Saga", then save your hard-earned money. There's nothing new here at all other than the package itself.
This post also seems to confirm the discs are exactly the same:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=55809

Another place to check for the "actual" region coding is this site, although in this instance it doesn't separate out the 2011 and 2015 sets:
http://bluray.liesinc.net/
Old 12-09-15, 05:43 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks a lot Jay! You are marvellous.

I suppose that even though the contents are identical, they still may have changed the Region Free coding to A/1 for marketing purposes (there are B/2 versions sold in Europe. However the covers are somewhat clotted with region information symbols, so I prefer the US edition). Not sure if that would mean lots of extra work for them to re-code.
Still, since the discs look identical and even still have 2011 printed on them, it sounds likely that they haven't done anything at all to them. I guess I may be rather safe in purchasing this for my B/2 player.
Old 12-09-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrier
Thanks a lot Jay! You are marvellous.

I suppose that even though the contents are identical, they still may have changed the Region Free coding to A/1 for marketing purposes (there are B/2 versions sold in Europe. However the covers are somewhat clotted with region information symbols, so I prefer the US edition). Not sure if that would mean lots of extra work for them to re-code.
Still, since the discs look identical and even still have 2011 printed on them, it sounds likely that they haven't done anything at all to them. I guess I may be rather safe in purchasing this for my B/2 player.
Yeah, studios are actually really lazy. Making actual changes to the discs would mean not just minor re-authoring, but since these are pressed discs, making new master plates.

Also, the packaging often misstates the region coding for Blu-rays, hence the sites I mentioned.

Why are you buying the US release though? My Understanding is the Europe, or at least the UK, got the same packaging.
Edit: And if I had read your post better, I would've seen you answered my question: because of the ratings plastered on the front of the European version.
Old 12-10-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Who spends that kinda money (a lot for a set) without checking it out first? I saw it came out and owning the first set I went on the Internet to see if there were any differences and there weren't other than cooler packaging. But that's on them for not checking.
Old 12-10-15, 05:35 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Edit: And if I had read your post better, I would've seen you answered my question: ....
If I had written more clearly, and used paragraphs better, you would have seen it.
Old 12-21-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Could somebody pelase give a quick run about who/what are on the six steelbook covers. I was looking at osme of them and wans't sure.
Old 12-21-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Still haven't pulled the trigger on this set. My ideal would be BDs plus codes for Disney Movies Anywhere.
Old 12-21-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Could somebody pelase give a quick run about who/what are on the six steelbook covers. I was looking at osme of them and wans't sure.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-lim...lbook-blu-ray/

Ep 1: Darth Maul
Ep 2: Yoda
Ep 3: General Grievous
Ep 4: Darth Vader
Ep 5: Storm Trooper
Ep 6: Emperor Palpatine

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-21-15 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks!
Old 12-21-15, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

those are simply dreadful!
Old 12-21-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I have to admit I have all the Star Wars movies...but none are on Blu-Ray. I still even have the Box Set of the first three on VHS. I got the DVD THX Remastered Set and have the Phantom Menaced, Attack of Clones and Revenge of the Sith on DVD Widescreen.

Can someone tell me why the heck is the DVD versions going for high $$$$ and are the latest Steelbooks are worth it?
Old 12-21-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Can someone tell me why the heck is the DVD versions going for high $$$$
I assume because it has less of the stuff King George added later to further fuck up the OT and because it's now OOP
and are the latest Steelbooks are worth it?
If anything, I think you'd be better getting the $90 box set because
1) it comes in a nice compact case
2) it has three discs of extra content
3) those Steelbooks are hideous
Old 12-21-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Ep 2: Yoda
Ep 5: Storm Trouper
Kind of weird that it's all villains except Yoda.

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Who spends that kinda money (a lot for a set) without checking it out first? I saw it came out and owning the first set I went on the Internet to see if there were any differences and there weren't other than cooler packaging. But that's on them for not checking.
The Star Wars brand is a license to print money. Look at Episode VII. Even if it wasn't good, the pre-sale tickets alone were record-breaking. People will show up for Star Wars products sight unseen.
Old 12-21-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Kind of weird that it's all villains except Yoda.
I just assumed it was characters that they don't have to pay likeness rights to use.
Old 12-21-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would've put a Clone Trooper on the cover for Attack of the Clones, but hey, that's just me.
Old 12-21-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I acquired the Despecialized Editions of IV-VI and watched them recently. Really reminds you how well those films work without anything added. I've got the DVD editions of the SEs but never bought the BDs because of even more changes. That "Nooooo!" in the throne room scene of RotJ killed it for me. Ruins the emotional impact of that moment. I'm hoping the originals will come out one day - they've got to, Disney loves money, they'll work out a deal - but until then these 720p/DTS 5.1 fan edits are a great alternative.

Last edited by islandclaws; 12-22-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-22-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartload
I would've put a Clone Trooper on the cover for Attack of the Clones, but hey, that's just me.
Villain Steelbooks:

Ep 2: Clone Trooper
Ep 5: Boba Fett

Hero Steelbooks:

Ep 1: Padme
Ep 2: Anakin Skywalker
Ep 3: Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ep 4: Luke Skywalker
Ep 5: Yoda
Ep 6: Han Solo
Old 12-22-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Can someone tell me why the heck is the DVD versions going for high $$$$ and are the latest Steelbooks are worth it?
Originally Posted by Decker
I assume because it has less of the stuff King George added later to further fuck up the OT and because it's now OOP
If it's the 2006 set (my wife paid a bit, but not an absurd amount for that set a few years back), it's probably because that's the only set with the unaltered OT on them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.