Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything I know about, excluding the recent steelbooks with the UV codes.
Old 11-08-15, 07:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I read an article that put the prequels in a different light for me (http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ a lengthy but fascinating read), so I think I'd like to own the prequels on BD to complement the despecialized editions I have of the OT. As far as I understand it, the PT set currently available doesn't have all the extras from the complete saga set, right? Does it have any extra discs at all? I notice that Best Buy has individual episode steelbooks that might be fun to get, but if it means losing extras from the PT set, which has already lost extras from the complete set, I may just split the difference and buy the PT set.
I want to go on record that that guy's theories are complete shit, I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

The similarity between Jedi and The Phantom Menace is not the result of some fabulously brilliant cyclical "ring" construct but rather a product of the sequence the films were made in. There was a 16 year hiatus but the fact remains that when Lucas rolled on TPM the last Star Wars thing he'd done was Jedi. The similarity of their construction is a by product of his choice to make a monotonous continuation of a tired premise instead of moving in some new direction.

Furthermore, being able to recognize (or fabricate) a complex "ring"-like structure to the 6 film saga does not alter the fact that the prequel films themselves contain lagging narrative trajectory, ill defined characterization, and excessive dialogue and exposition. A complex construction alone does not make something great.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-08-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 11:25 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I want to go on record that that guy's theories are complete shit, I award him no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

The similarity between Jedi and The Phantom Menace is not the result of some fabulously brilliant cyclical "ring" construct but rather a product of the sequence the films were made in. There was a 16 year hiatus but the fact remains that when Lucas rolled on TPM the last Star Wars thing he'd done was Jedi. The similarity of their construction is a by product of his choice to make a monotonous continuation of a tired premise instead of moving in some new direction.

Furthermore, being able to recognize (or fabricate) a complex "ring"-like structure to the 6 film saga does not alter the fact that the prequel films themselves contain lagging narrative trajectory, ill defined characterization, and excessive dialogue and exposition. A complex construction alone does not make something great.
The guy doesn't say that the prequels are flawless or masterpieces. He says that this construction is deliberate and brilliant in its own right, regardless of the quality of the rest of the film. Now, you can say that the construction is not enough to redeem the prequels, and that's fine. But all he's arguing for here is the construction. And I do think there's enough evidence here that I buy it. If it were just Jedi and TPM, you might be right (although honestly I find your premise far more shaky than the author of that article's), but the inversions in Clones and Sith seem more than just coincidence to me.

Hey, maybe it's the 9/11 truther version of a Star Wars theory, but I found it compelling and I've since rewatched TPM and found it much more enjoyable (not good, but enjoyable) watching it with this theory in mind.
Old 11-09-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for providing the link. I found it fascinating. I've never had the disdain for the prequels that most have, but maybe it will bring some respect.

I don't see the yin yang in this AOC shot, is the actual symbol there, or is the author just referring to the dark and the light? I'm guessing its the rough circle in middle with dot of clouds.
Spoiler:

Old 11-09-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article doesn't really cover anything new. People have been pointing out the connections as each movie was released, and then again when the complete saga box set was released. I think most people acknowledge how well that aspect was done. What still holds true is that there was so much focus on those aspects, that what made the OT movies and characters fun and enjoyable, was lost or ignored in the PT. Case in point... how much enjoyable each scene with R2D2 and C3PO are in the OT vs. being lame or eye roll worthy in the PT.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-09-15 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it's any surprise that there are connections between the films, but the particular structure employed was not something I've seen anyone comment on or even hint at before.
Old 11-10-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

"“there’s a hint of how Obi-Wan had learned to give up his physical being and become one with the Force [in A New Hope].” 6 So, the scene also connects to the end of the ring by helping to explain how Anakin becomes one with the Force and appears as a “Force ghost” at the conclusion of Jedi (presumably, he learns the path to immortality from Obi-Wan, Yoda, and/or Qui-Gon)."

He lost me there. How would Anakin learn it from Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan was just about to start down the path of learning it himself?
Old 11-10-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
"“there’s a hint of how Obi-Wan had learned to give up his physical being and become one with the Force [in A New Hope].” 6 So, the scene also connects to the end of the ring by helping to explain how Anakin becomes one with the Force and appears as a “Force ghost” at the conclusion of Jedi (presumably, he learns the path to immortality from Obi-Wan, Yoda, and/or Qui-Gon)."

He lost me there. How would Anakin learn it from Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan was just about to start down the path of learning it himself?
Obi Wan learned it while in seclusion on Tattooine, Yoda on Degobah. As for Anakin's force ghost at the end of ROTJ, the idea is that both Yoda and Obi Wan were able to help Anakin crossover.
Old 11-10-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Obi Wan learned it while in seclusion on Tattooine, Yoda on Degobah. As for Anakin's force ghost at the end of ROTJ, the idea is that both Yoda and Obi Wan were able to help Anakin crossover.
Yeah, so Anakin didn't learn the technique himself at any point.

The idea that it was a technique that had to be learned is an invention of the prequel series in any case. When watching the original films, it just seemed like something that happened to Jedi when they died.
Old 11-10-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah in the Original Trilogy I always saw it as just being a Force ghost is just what happens to Jedi in the afterlife. I don't think it really needed explanation as to them needing to learn how to achieve being a Force ghost after they passed.
Old 11-11-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly what The Force can or can't do has always been fairly nebulous.
Old 11-11-15, 09:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We definitely need a lot more dialogue about midichlorians. I think that will make any Star Wars movie better...
Old 11-11-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lurk on these forums I feel like a Force ghost.
Old 11-11-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I saw the steelbooks in target last night, and they do look very nice. But I am curious if the 20th century fox opening has been removed for the blurays.
Old 11-11-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I saw the steelbooks in target last night, and they do look very nice. But I am curious if the 20th century fox opening has been removed for the blurays.
It's still Fox putting out these blu-rays, so no.
Old 11-11-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Damn, you spend some serious time there in the shitter. Or maybe it's only when you're on this thread and Spectre.
Perhaps he's in the shitter "taking the piss", which he seems to do an awful lot these days.
Old 11-11-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, apparently the X-Men: Apocalypse trailer will be attached to The Force Awakens, so maybe Disney and Fox are making nice? I can dream.
Old 11-11-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But seriously, seeing this new movie without the 20th Cent Fox logo and the Tinkerbell flying around Cinderella's Castle in Disney World logo will just feel... off.
Old 11-11-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 742 Likes on 367 Posts

I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll get a Disney Logo, just the Lucasfilm logo. We don't get Disney logos in front of Marvel films.

That's what they have on the digital releases of the PT and V and VI, if that's any indication.
Old 11-11-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll get a Disney Logo, just the Lucasfilm logo. We don't get Disney logos in front of Marvel films.
There's a rumor going around that we won't be getting an Episode number in the opening crawl either - but I doubt that's true.
Old 11-11-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, Lucasfilm will probably be the only logo shown as part of The Force Awakens.

Turns out the steelbooks have a part of the standard poster art on the back and cool custom inside art. If I didn't already have the complete saga set I would be tempted to pick up the steels once they went on clearance.
Old 11-11-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There's a rumor going around that we won't be getting an Episode number in the opening crawl either - but I doubt that's true.
It hasn't been called Episode VII in any of the marketing, so it's quite possible.
Old 11-11-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
But seriously, seeing this new movie without the 20th Cent Fox logo and the Tinkerbell flying around Cinderella's Castle in Disney World logo will just feel... off.
Maybe Disney will have TIE fighters and X-Wing fighters flying around the castle.
Old 11-11-15, 05:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It was already mentioned last month that there will be no Disney logo before the Force Awakens.

http://screencrush.com/no-disney-log...force-awakens/
Old 11-11-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
All of the Star Wars toys are prominently branded with the Disney logo, while the Marvel toys aren't. Hard to tell what we'll get.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.