HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Old 08-03-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah Lucas is an asshole and he wonders why a lot of his fans disrespect him. He does it to himself. There's absolutely no reason other than his own stubborn minded never ending takes on how he can change the original trilogy with each subsequent re-release that he can't release the films the way they originally came out in good quality. I would buy a set that included the originals (no changes whatsoever), the shitty re-releases, and even the prequels if it were to be put out. The fact that he's so adamantly against it especially when fans want it and we're talking Star Wars fans here who eat up practically anything (which is good and bad because sadly a lot will just buy what he gives) it's not like it's some obscure franchise or something is ridiculous.
I remember a while back when he was interviewed by the New York Times, he said “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

I just though to myself, George, you run Industrial Light and Magic, the biggest visual effects house in the world. You run Skywalker Sound, the biggest post production studio in the world. You run THX. You are one of the richest men on earth. You have produced, written, and directed some of the most successful films of all time and you are worth more money than almost anyone on earth. Why do you care what a clique of people on the Internet say about you? Are you really that insecure? I kind of feel sorry for you if that's the case.

The key problem now is that after the 2006 release, there's a catch-22 where they can say "Well, we released it, and people still complained!" I thought high-quality releases should be a given, but apparently not.
Old 08-03-13, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

DVDS?!??!

I must have THESE!!!!
Old 08-03-13, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
DVDS?!??!

I must have THESE!!!!
Old 08-03-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

DVDS?!??!

I must have THESE!!!!

Maybe they're doing combo packs because the DVDs have been out of print for the past couple of years, and they're putting these out so they only have one SKU for both formats.
Old 08-03-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the new OT set cover. But seems like it's just a re-release of the same trilogy sets. I think they said there'd be a new comm. track from archive interviews.

If they were serious, they'd have included ultraviolet - it's the future, man.
Old 08-04-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. I wonder if they'll be some good deals on the current sets as retailers make room for the new ones.
Old 08-04-13, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
Hmm. I wonder if they'll be some good deals on the current sets as retailers make room for the new ones.
Doubtful. They will sell side by side until exhaustion or sent back like every other set that gets re-released.

Limited space in stores now so the combining of the SKU is probably a requirement.
Old 08-04-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep wondering if these are just stray pressings of the 2004 & 2008 releases they still have lying around, or if they keep releasing them again and again because they keeps selling well, I assume the latter.
Old 08-04-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I think they could benefit from pulling a Disney Vault move. Yank 'em for a few years.
Old 08-04-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I keep wondering if these are just stray pressings of the 2004 & 2008 releases they still have lying around, or if they keep releasing them again and again because they keeps selling well, I assume the latter.
There's the possibility that these DVDs will be based off the Blu-ray versions, which had changes from the 2008 release. So they then couldn't possibly be left over discs.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think they could benefit from pulling a Disney Vault move. Yank 'em for a few years.
Disney may end up doing that when Lucasfilm regains distribution rights to 5 of the six films in 2020; meanwhile Fox likely wants to milk these films as much as it can before they lose the rights.
Old 08-04-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So how many of us actually held off on buying the Blu-rays all this time and how many eventually broke down and bought it?

I've held off obviously because of all the ridiculous changes that just became too much but mostly because I realized I've had the original trilogy on DVD since it was released the first time and still haven't watched them.

If and when the unaltered trilogy is released I finally pick it up.
I rented the DVDs and BDs, but I didn't buy them. I've been waiting for versions without the crappy special effects and gratuitous scenes.

As others have said, someone should just release both versions, original and special edition. How hard is that? It's done ALL THE TIME with other films.
Old 08-04-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's the possibility that these DVDs will be based off the Blu-ray versions, which had changes from the 2008 release. So they then couldn't possibly be left over discs.
Great, so those vile things can be further ingrained into the consciousness of the public and continue selling and reducing the chances of the originals coming out!

Disney may end up doing that when Lucasfilm regains distribution rights to 5 of the six films in 2020; meanwhile Fox likely wants to milk these films as much as it can before they lose the rights.
I don't want to wait that long!! And in any case, even if they Disney vault it, you'll be able to find copies almost anywhere for a pittance, it's not like it's rare or something.

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
I rented the DVDs and BDs, but I didn't buy them. I've been waiting for versions without the crappy special effects and gratuitous scenes.

As others have said, someone should just release both versions, original and special edition. How hard is that? It's done ALL THE TIME with other films.
No other franchise has a creative owner as obsessive about which version he out out and which version he wants to get rid of than Lucas. The man is passionate about it, good, bad, or indifferent.
Old 08-04-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I thought they only had SWIV until 2020.
Old 08-05-13, 12:24 AM
Suspended

I'm more amused some people think we will still be able to buy movies on discs in 2020. What retailers will be selling them? Will Best Buy even exist?
Old 08-05-13, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This maybe a dumb question, but could FOX put out the OOT remastered sometime in the near future on BluRay if they wanted to? Lucas took his future SW business to Disney, so they have no loyalty to him anymore, and they still own the Home Video rights, why don't they just milk the OOT for all its worth now?
Old 08-05-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox actually owns distribution rights for Ep 4 in perpetuity. However, they have the distribution rights to Eps 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 until 2020.

I'm more amused some people think we will still be able to buy movies on discs in 2020. What retailers will be selling them? Will Best Buy even exist?
Best Buy may not exist, but discs are still a possibility. Hell, music is still released on vinyl, which I doubt people a decade ago thought would still be occurring. Video discs may end up being a niche market, but it's still one that could be filled by the studios, even if it's reduced to something like burn-on-demand for many titles.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This maybe a dumb question, but could FOX put out the OOT remastered sometime in the near future on BluRay if they wanted to?
It's complicated, and it's a bit of an unknown since it likely depends on distribution contract Fox and Lucasfilm have. Fox currently has distribution rights for all the films, but Lucasfilm owns the copyrights for all of them. It's possible that Fox only has the rights to distribute what Lucasfilm gives them to distribute.

Even if Fox has the right to distribute other versions of the films without Lucasfilm approval, they may have difficulty getting the materials for an OOT remaster. Lucasfilm has the original negatives in their possession, and I believe that Lucas went on a quest to recall as many prints as possible of the OOT, so Fox may not even have a print available.

Even if they did have a copy, and did have the rights to distribute it without authorization from Lucasfilm, they still may play nice with Lucasfilm. Fox owns the rights to Ep 4 in perpetuity, but they likely know that it's worth most as released with the rest of the trilogy, so they may be wanting to work with Lucasfilm and Disney in a combined distribution deal for at least the first 3 films. So they won't do anything to deliberately antagonize Lucasfilm or Disney, especially if the trade-off is only to please a relatively small part of the market for these films.
Old 08-05-13, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Best Buy may not exist, but discs are still a possibility. Hell, music is still released on vinyl, which I doubt people a decade ago thought would still be occurring. Video discs may end up being a niche market, but it's still one that could be filled by the studios, even if it's reduced to something like burn-on-demand for many titles.
I think Vinyl is more of a 'fad'-type situation. It's cool to collect, and the hipsters love it, but it's far from a money-maker. Wonder what the stats are on Vinyl.

As for discs, it'll be an online only type deal aside from some new releases. Studios are already pushing Digital pretty damn hard.
Old 08-05-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have the right to the six movies until 2020, but they have the rights to the original film in perpetuity.

Hopefully yes, probably not.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This maybe a dumb question, but could FOX put out the OOT remastered sometime in the near future on BluRay if they wanted to? Lucas took his future SW business to Disney, so they have no loyalty to him anymore, and they still own the Home Video rights, why don't they just milk the OOT for all its worth now?
It begs a number of questions. Do they have OOT prints? Could they restore them, or would they have to go through Disney? Would either of them be willing to restore them? Could Disney and Fox reach an agreement about the profits if it's necessary for both parties to be involved? How profitable is the OOT to them?

It's complicated, and it's a bit of an unknown since it likely depends on distribution contract Fox and Lucasfilm have. Fox currently has distribution rights for all the films, but Lucasfilm owns the copyrights for all of them. It's possible that Fox only has the rights to distribute what Lucasfilm gives them to distribute.
But since Lucasfilm is owned by Disney now, wouldn't they have to go through them? I assume until 2020, Disney's hands are tied and Fox can release what they want?

Even if Fox has the right to distribute other versions of the films without Lucasfilm approval, they may have difficulty getting the materials for an OOT remaster. Lucasfilm has the original negatives in their possession, and I believe that Lucas went on a quest to recall as many prints as possible of the OOT, so Fox may not even have a print available.
Lucas supposedly went on a purge to find and destroy as many OOT prints as he could. I've often wondered, if they scanned the OOT footage to create the SE, wouldn't that still be on file someplace? Again, there's so much behind-the-scenes stuff that we don't know about, it's difficult to say anything for certain.

Even if they did have a copy, and did have the rights to distribute it without authorization from Lucasfilm, they still may play nice with Lucasfilm. Fox owns the rights to Ep 4 in perpetuity, but they likely know that it's worth most as released with the rest of the trilogy, so they may be wanting to work with Lucasfilm and Disney in a combined distribution deal for at least the first 3 films. So they won't do anything to deliberately antagonize Lucasfilm or Disney, especially if the trade-off is only to please a relatively small part of the market for these films.
Rumors are a-flying, but I think it's all just fanboys blowing smoke right now.

Studios are already pushing Digital pretty damn hard.
It's probably cheaper for them (to say nothing of offering them more control, but I'm paranoid).
Old 08-05-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But since Lucasfilm is owned by Disney now, wouldn't they have to go through them? I assume until 2020, Disney's hands are tied and Fox can release what they want?
As Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney, any deals Lucasfilm now makes would likely have to get approval from Disney. As for what Fox can and can't release, again it's hard to say. As evidenced by the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray combos, Fox can at least re-release material they already have. Whether that extends to them being able to restore and release the OOT on their own is anyone's guess.

Lucas supposedly went on a purge to find and destroy as many OOT prints as he could. I've often wondered, if they scanned the OOT footage to create the SE, wouldn't that still be on file someplace? Again, there's so much behind-the-scenes stuff that we don't know about, it's difficult to say anything for certain.
This is an excellent article if you want to know about the state of the OOT, and what was done to it when creating the SEs:
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

The short version is that the films weren't completely digitally scanned to make the SEs, and most of the restoration in '97 was done photochemically. Parts that were replaced with new digital effects weren't restored at all. Lucasfilm likely still has all the original elements though, so a digital restoration is still possible.
Old 08-05-13, 12:09 PM

I doubt Lucas would have destroyed all the original elements, he was most likely just trying to get a hold of them and prevent them from circulating.
Old 08-05-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Vinyl is more of a 'fad'-type situation. It's cool to collect, and the hipsters love it, but it's far from a money-maker. Wonder what the stats are on Vinyl.
So you don't know any "stats" on vinyl, but already definitively stated its far from a monkey-maker. Oh, and the hipsters love it.
Old 08-05-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney, any deals Lucasfilm now makes would likely have to get approval from Disney. As for what Fox can and can't release, again it's hard to say. As evidenced by the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray combos, Fox can at least re-release material they already have. Whether that extends to them being able to restore and release the OOT on their own is anyone's guess.
I would guess probably not, but like you said, it's the upper level business dealings of two gigantic media conglomerates, there's probably a lot we don't know.

This is an excellent article if you want to know about the state of the OOT, and what was done to it when creating the SEs:
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

The short version is that the films weren't completely digitally scanned to make the SEs, and most of the restoration in '97 was done photochemically. Parts that were replaced with new digital effects weren't restored at all. Lucasfilm likely still has all the original elements though, so a digital restoration is still possible.
Extremely disappointing, but hardly surprising. But it does probably reduce the chances even further, since it would make a restoration of the OOT even more costly and time-consuming.

Originally Posted by My Other Self
So you don't know any "stats" on vinyl, but already definitively stated its far from a monkey-maker. Oh, and the hipsters love it.
We could all dress up like hipsters, and make fun of our exes. Yeah.
Old 08-05-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Some recent articles:
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12...ss--83471.html
While the percentage of digital downloads continues to increase, a revival of vinyl sales has, as well. According to Statista, album sales were relatively flat from 1993 (roughly a third of a million vinyl albums) to 2007 before things began to pick up in 2008, and 3.9 million albums were sold in 2011.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ar...pagewanted=all
About a dozen pressing plants have sprouted up in the United States, along with the few that survived from the first vinyl era, and they say business is so brisk that they are working to capacity. Thomas Bernich, who started Brooklyn Phono in 2000, says his company makes about 440,000 LPs a year, but a giant like Rainbo Records, in Canoga Park, Calif., turns out 6 million to 7.2 million, said Steve Sheldon, its general manager.
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...-revolver.html
According to the Nielsen Co. SoundScan and Billboard’s 2012 Music Industry Report, vinyl-album sales in the U.S. rose to 4.6 million, up from 3.9 million in 2011. Last month, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry reported vinyl sales reached $171 million worldwide in 2012, compared with $53 million in 2007...

Mary Papenhausen, a buyer and promotions director for Zia Record Exchange, which has eight locations, including four in the Phoenix metro area, said vinyl represents about 15 percent of Zia’s sales today, compared with about 2 percent a decade ago.
http://www.businessinsider.com/vinyl...surging-2013-7
Here's the latest chart from Paul Resnikoff at Digital Music News: projected U.S. vinyl music sales for 2013, based on first-half data from Nielsen Soundscan. This is no longer a fad
Old 08-06-13, 05:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the upcoming release, guess prices for the existing DVD sets will change. Since I've got mine, I hope they go up!
Old 08-07-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't the Library of Congress have good prints of the originals? Seems to me these movies were included in their film preservation program. Even if Lucas himself never allows it, they exist and could be reproduced someday long after he's gone. They've already up and done it to Kubrick, against his and his family's continued wishes, with Fear and Desire.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.