Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 02:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Look at those numbers again after I tell you that there are 40+ million BD Players in homes in the USA.
That is so dumb. With that logic, not even Avatar did good. As if all it's sales are only in the first three days.
Old 09-23-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
That is so dumb. With that logic, not even Avatar did good. As if all it's sales are only in the first three days.
Again, they haven't been. Pre-orders have been going on for months.
Old 09-23-11, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Again, they haven't been. Pre-orders have been going on for months.
Like any other blu-ray catalog title, they had preorders for months. The sale is not counted till the street date. What other blu-ray catalog titles sold more than Star Wars in it's first week including the months of preorders?

It's just funny how people manipulate the numbers to make it look like a failure.

Last edited by Texan26; 09-23-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't Star Wars generate more pre-orders than Avatar? I don't consider a $70+ set to be an impulse purchase.
Old 09-23-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think Lucas is looking at these numbers and thinking how much more money he can make releasing the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray. Maybe even as a bonus to the eventual 3D release to boost sales of them (depending on how they do in the theater).
Old 09-23-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course it's a failure. I saw Costco dropped the price $1 today.
Old 09-23-11, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Still a success.
Not really. When it can only garner that little sales with tens of millions of Star Wars fans. This is pretty much the 'ultimate' release in terms of just about any film. Eh. I bought my copy. Still need to watch the final two films.
Old 09-23-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

$85 million? Nice, now George can finally afford to add that epic scene with the Gungans to Empire like he had always intended.
Old 09-23-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not really. When it can only garner that little sales with tens of millions of Star Wars fans. This is pretty much the 'ultimate' release in terms of just about any film. Eh. I bought my copy. Still need to watch the final two films.
Yes really. I'm not sure why you expect Star Wars to sell significantly more then every single other Blu-ray title that's been out so far.
Old 09-23-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$85 million? Nice, now George can finally afford to add that epic scene with the Gungans to Empire like he had always intended.
Don't give him any ideas.
Old 09-24-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, no, no. He's going to replace the Ewoks with Gungans and give them walkie talkies.
Old 09-24-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Who gives a flying fuck what the sales numbers are? No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.*

If you wanted a $90 warmed-over turd in 1080p, you got one. Congratulations. For me, there is no price point that could entice me to add this to my collezione.

*H.L. Mencken
Old 09-24-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Who gives a flying fuck what the sales numbers are?
C'mon, you've been around long enough to know this is a Star Wars thread. I'm sure we'll be talking about Blu-ray Rot in upcoming weeks.
Old 09-24-11, 10:46 AM

Who gives a flying fuck what the sales numbers are? No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.*

If you wanted a $90 warmed-over turd in 1080p, you got one. Congratulations. For me, there is no price point that could entice me to add this to my collezione.

*H.L. Mencken
But yet, in the Barnes and Noble coupon thread you posted this:

"Received shipping notification for the Star Wars set at 11:53 last night."

hmmm
Old 09-24-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

"It's for a gift"....
Old 09-24-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
"It's for a gift"....
It doesn't count because it's a pre-order.
Old 09-24-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

But yet, in the Barnes and Noble coupon thread you posted this:

"Received shipping notification for the Star Wars set at 11:53 last night."

hmmm
Indeed I did, Sir. I ordered the Complete Saga and the OT way back when, during a B&N 50% off sale. Got 'em for $44 and $22 respectively. If you are interested in one or t'other, check out "BuckNaked2k" over on half.com.....a 796 rating with 100% positive feedback.
Old 09-24-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Indeed I did, Sir. I ordered the Complete Saga and the OT way back when, during a B&N 50% off sale. Got 'em for $44 and $22 respectively. If you are interested in one or t'other, check out "BuckNaked2k" over on half.com.....a 796 rating with 100% positive feedback.
So you do not take drugs, but you are willing to deal.

Could you do me a favor, obey the rules of the forum and clean up the language.

And thank you insulting all of us that bought a movie we love. I have enjoyed watching my "turd" in GLORIOUS 1080p HD.
Old 09-24-11, 04:08 PM

Why not sell it for a lower price than Amazon? Don't you want to get rid of it?
Old 09-24-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Or better yet - Burn them on a barbecue.
Old 09-24-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Why not sell it for a lower price than Amazon? Don't you want to get rid of it?
I guess George Luca$ isn't the only person interested in making a buck.

(BTW, I have no problem with this.)
Old 09-26-11, 01:28 AM

Bestbuy and Target have now raised their prices to $100 for the complete saga. I bet amazon will follow soon.

Just watched Phantom Menace on bluray for the first time, and now I have no regret getting this set. I don't know why people hate that movie so much. Just because it didn't fulfill some nerd fantasy on what it should have been, it's still a good background movie for the rest of the saga, has epic light saber battles (way better than the unathletic fighting in the OT), and a lot of the scenery/backgrounds are just gorgeous and imaginative. No movie could live up to the nostalgia felt for the OT, but I think these did their job. And the dts audio on this set was awesome, even on my cheap 5.1 system.

If/when the 3D original trilogy is released in theaters to celebrate the 35th anniversary, and the subsequent 3D blurays are released (including theatrical versions of the OT), I will buy them again if they make the UOT bluray quality, and not some lazy laser disc transfer. It would be more noticeable on bluray.
Old 09-26-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by mgdeals
Just watched Phantom Menace on bluray for the first time, and now I have no regret getting this set. I don't know why people hate that movie so much. Just because it didn't fulfill some nerd fantasy on what it should have been, it's still a good background movie for the rest of the saga, has epic light saber battles (way better than the unathletic fighting in the OT), and a lot of the scenery/backgrounds are just gorgeous and imaginative. No movie could live up to the nostalgia felt for the OT, but I think these did their job.
The action is awesome, saber fights were great. The podrace is an amped up Speeder Bike thing which is cool. Portman and Neeson were good. The movie falls apart because of the backdrop of the whole movie. Politics and trade tariffs make for a boring space opera in spite of the individual action pieces. I've probably seen it a half dozen times and I still couldn't tell you what the hell the movie is about.
Old 09-26-11, 11:03 AM

Do you guys actually think GL is losing any sleep over those sales numbers? Not at all. The set could've sold a lot worse. If I don't like a movie, or changes to a movie, if it sells well, I'll admit. It won't bother me a bit.

I can't believe some of you guys are actually trying to spin it. Grow up!

Oh and this will be my last post! JK, I'll post again.
Old 09-26-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mgdeals
Just watched Phantom Menace on bluray for the first time, and now I have no regret getting this set. I don't know why people hate that movie so much. Just because it didn't fulfill some nerd fantasy on what it should have been, it's still a good background movie for the rest of the saga, has epic light saber battles (way better than the unathletic fighting in the OT), and a lot of the scenery/backgrounds are just gorgeous and imaginative.
I just wanted to point out that my dislike for the PT has nothing to do with expectations, or my personal fantasy of what it "should have been" and everything with the films being overall mediocre to terrible movies. TPM in particular has an atrocious plot that is both dumb and convoluted, terrible pacing, bad acting and tin-eared dialogue. Not to mention one of the single most grating characters ever put on the big screen.

Now, I Love the original Star Wars, but I can admit it's not perfect. TPM, on the other hand, is just on a whole other level of bad. I will admit that the effects are visually impressive in places, but parts like the space battle at the end, while visually impressive, just aren't as tension-filled and exciting as the original trench battle. And if I ever just rewatched a part of TPM, it'd be the Darth Maul end lightsaber battle, but one impressive fight sequence does not a good movie make.

I agree that "no movie could live up to the nostalgia felt for the OT," but even with severely reduced expectations, the PT still fall short. I mean, I went into Ep3 with about as low as expectations could go, and even then I cringed at many places in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.