Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by leem6453
So far as the movies go I've watched Ep I and II. TPM is leaps and bounds better than the dvd. The pink is gone and the picture is glorious in most places except for a few moment with some DNR. It doesn't ruin the experience though. AOTC looks great as well, but it's hard to appreciate it because the DVD looked great too. I'm hearing that ROTS is Avatar level in terms of PQ so I'm looking forward to that.
You're in for a treat. Episodes I and II were very good releases, but Episode III is just phenomenal. Reference, in my opinion...
Old 09-19-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I take a different approach to all this...I bought the set because it's yet ANOTHER version of the movies, plus for all the bonus goodies. This IS a very well put-together Blu-ray release, regardless of what you think of the changes to the movies. I still have both my widescreen laserdiscs and the non-anamorphic OT that were released on DVD a few years back to go look at if/when I want to see the unaltered versions.

These posts are fun to read though...I particularly enjoyed the guy who said he had it in his hands with about a 1% chance of buying it. Really? If there was a 1% chance, why did you even pick up the box?
Old 09-19-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I don't think so either really. For me it's more of, why would I want to pay 80-90 bucks for something that I know I won't like? Just doesn't make sense.
Precisely.

No boycotting, just rather buy something that will be enjoyed.
Old 09-19-11, 01:47 PM

Lol @ whiners...

I personally still love the movies, those small changes are not a big deal for me. Ppl who bought the movie and all they do is just complain, just sell the damn movie. I'm sure there are a lot of other ppl that will be happy with it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if its really making your life miserable because Lucas did something to the Star Wars movies, I think you have better things to do then think about how Lucas made you miserable.

The problem is that ppl are not open minded and doesnt like change, some times its good and sometimes its bad. Nothing anyone can do really, boycotting is just pure BS and I doubt ppl/Lucas would really care.
Old 09-19-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I am a huge SW geek (I even own my own Jedi costume) but I am sitting this one out, just like I did with the last versions of them on DVD (the ones with the letterboxed OOT) because for me, it's about voting with my wallet. I want the original trilogy unmolested. I don't mind most of the changes, but I won't support G.L. thinking we will forget what we saw in the theater 30+ years ago.

Not a big deal, as I have nice HD caps of the OT, and they will "work" for now, without giving Lucas more money.
Old 09-19-11, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

So, how are the sales doing so far? Anyone have numbers, or know where to find them?
Old 09-19-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if its really making your life miserable because Lucas did something to the Star Wars movies, I think you have better things to do then think about how Lucas made you miserable.
This is a straw man argument. Nobody has said that Lucas has made their life miserable. However, many people don't like the changes to the OT, don't like the PTs at all, and don't like that getting the relevant extras require paying a high price tag.

The problem is that ppl are not open minded and doesnt like change, some times its good and sometimes its bad.
That might apply to some, but I don't think it applies to the majority of posters. For example, I haven't heard any complaints about the removal of matte boxes from around certain effects. That's certainly a change, but almost everyone recognizes it as a positive one.

To me, the biggest complaints have been toward changes that been towards ones that people feel negatively affect the film, the ones that change the characters or story.

Nothing anyone can do really, boycotting is just pure BS and I doubt ppl/Lucas would really care.
It's doubtful that Lucas himself will care, but it's possible people around him might. After all, people within Lucasfilm managed to get the unaltered originals out on non-anamorphic DVD as an extra, despite Lucas's stated indifference to near displeasure of those versions. I do think vocal complaining probably has more of an impact than any attempted boycott would.

That said, even if it has absolutely zero impact, people still have a right to complain about what they dislike about this Blu-ray set. If you don't like it, ignore it. Don't try to dismiss their opinions though; they're just as valid as yours.
Old 09-19-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I love how not buying something (because you know you wouldn't enjoy watching it) is "boycotting."

I guess I'm "boycotting" Spooky Buddies as well now.

Old 09-19-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I am a huge SW geek (I even own my own Jedi costume) but I am sitting this one out, just like I did with the last versions of them on DVD (the ones with the letterboxed OOT) because for me, it's about voting with my wallet. I want the original trilogy unmolested. I don't mind most of the changes, but I won't support G.L. thinking we will forget what we saw in the theater 30+ years ago.

Not a big deal, as I have nice HD caps of the OT, and they will "work" for now, without giving Lucas more money.
By having and wearing a Jedi costume, are you not promoting the franchise thus putting more money in GL's pockets and working for free? lol
Old 09-19-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I love how not buying something (because you know you wouldn't enjoy watching it) is "boycotting."

I guess I'm "boycotting" Spooky Buddies as well now.

That series has gone downhill since it moved away from what made it great in the first place: dogs playing sports. I'm voting with my wallet and hitting Disney where it hurts!
Old 09-19-11, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I take a different approach to all this...I bought the set because it's yet ANOTHER version of the movies, plus for all the bonus goodies. This IS a very well put-together Blu-ray release, regardless of what you think of the changes to the movies. I still have both my widescreen laserdiscs and the non-anamorphic OT that were released on DVD a few years back to go look at if/when I want to see the unaltered versions.

These posts are fun to read though...I particularly enjoyed the guy who said he had it in his hands with about a 1% chance of buying it. Really? If there was a 1% chance, why did you even pick up the box?
Agreed 100%. And it happens to be the first version in HD. And could someone who LOVES a movie (or in this case 3 movies) go from that to not liking it because of changes that really amount to about .5% of the trilogy. I just don't get it. Their loss I guess.
Old 09-19-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This is a straw man argument. Nobody has said that Lucas has made their life miserable. However, many people don't like the changes to the OT, don't like the PTs at all, and don't like that getting the relevant extras require paying a high price tag.
Hell, if anything he's made my life better by allowing me to walk away
Old 09-19-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That series has gone downhill since it moved away from what made it great in the first place: dogs playing sports. I'm voting with my wallet and hitting Disney where it hurts!

Old 09-19-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Hell, if anything he's made my life better by allowing me to walk away
And yet here you are in the Star Wars thread.

EDIT: FWIW, I felt the same way after I felt betrayed by Heroes. After I gave up on that show after Season 3, I still had to chime in to the Season 4 threads occasionally because my hatred was so strong, haha...
Old 09-19-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I agree that arguing with Katie Lucas on Twitter is ridiculous, but she was dumb enough to egg on the fans with her post, "The haters will hate and complain...and then they will buy the boxset." She was almost inviting every idiot who hates her dad to reply to it.
She only did it cause people had signed on to her twitter account simply to bash her father, thats when she put that post on her page.
so ofcourse shes going to make a comment like that.
last I checked we arent our parents( we might have traits and qualities like them but we arent them), so using a his daughters twitter page to bash him was uncalled for,not to mention pretty pathetic.
Old 09-19-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take a different approach to all this...I bought the set because it's yet ANOTHER version of the movies, plus for all the bonus goodies. This IS a very well put-together Blu-ray release, regardless of what you think of the changes to the movies.
I still don't understand how this argument can be made. I'm not nitpicking in some crazy way here...this set just doesn't reach a really generalized bar set by other boxes with similar or lower price tags, like Lord of the Rings, Alien, Blade Runner, Avatar, or even Back to the Future, primarily by not carrying over the existing extras and allowing me to retire my DVDs. The inclusion of those extras would give two of the three prequels and all three OT films comprehensive documentaries, round out the prequel deleted scenes, and add a handful of featurettes focused on the making of the movies. Sorry, but I could live without a 90-minute reel of spoofs (a gallery of spoofs with some sort of commentary, via interviews or otherwise, would've really been better) and a feature doc about fans in costume. Those might be perfect "additional" extras on a set, but as the main course, I think that's mighty underwhelming given we're talking about Star Wars, and the set has a $90 price tag. (I also think it would've been pretty easy for Lucasfilm to include the uncompressed LD masters, which, even unrestored and in SD, would've been a great way to appease both sides of the debate, but this is more of a "wishful thinking" scenario than carrying over DVD extras.)
Old 09-19-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I love movies too. Hell, one of my degrees are in film. However, I think "revisionist cinema" is bullshit and that's why I will never pick up the set.

If you're a director and you couldn't release the film you wanted to make due to factors outside of your control, like studio politics, the MPAA giving the film a harder rating than desired, budgetary issues, whatever. Then you're allowed to make a director's cut.

If you're a director and you got to make the film you wanted, why are you going back to the well? Do you have no other ideas? "Well, technology is better now than it was in 1977." No, get out of here.

How many times has Ridley Scott gone back to the well and edited Alien and Blade Runner? However, what's been present on the DVD and Blu-ray releases of those films? All of the cuts starting with the theatrical. James Cameron, who practically now swims in money like Scrooge McDuck, what does he do? He makes multiple cuts of his films like Aliens, The Abyss, T2, Avatar, etc. What's on the DVD and Blu-ray release of those films? All of the multiple cuts.

I used to be a fan of Star Wars, but the way Lucas has been treating his fans for years has just put me off. Paramount has learned (some of) the errors of the ways with the way they treated the Star Trek franchise. You think maybe Lucas would do the same...

Well technically it wasnt till a few years ago that fans of blade runner got anything other than the 90s directors cut of Blade Runner on home video.
Amd for a decent period of time the only versions of T2, The Abyss, and Aliens were the directors cut. Scott and cameron have obviously since changed that in a big way, but for a long time you could only get the extended or directors cuts of those films. heck even star Trek TMP was only on dvd as the directors cut untill the bluray came out. And STar Trek Vi was only available as the home video edition from its VHS days until the Bluray finally gave us the original theatrical cut along with the original theatrical aspect ratio, not the Nicholas Meyer prefered 2:10 aspect ratio.

There are actually quite a few movies out there were we havent yet been able to get a copy of the theatrical cut for on dvd or bluray, but star wars seems to be the main one creating all the heat.
Old 09-19-11, 02:58 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was watching the deleted scenes for Ep2. Are there more out there that haven't been included on the DVD and BD release? I remember seeing a couple of parts in a Ep2 trailers:

- OBI-Wan and Anakin arguing how Anakin hasn't learn't anything
- Jimmy Smits saying the line "We must stop them" or something like that.
Old 09-19-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
And yet here you are in the Star Wars thread.

EDIT: FWIW, I felt the same way after I felt betrayed by Heroes. After I gave up on that show after Season 3, I still had to chime in to the Season 4 threads occasionally because my hatred was so strong, haha...
I still want to care.
Old 09-19-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not? Pick it up, take a look. I wanted to get a feel for it. I'm a sucker for nice packaging, and like I said earlier, I love the design.

There was the tiniest possibility that the thought of having Star Wars in HD, coupled with an impressive box, would be enough to inspire me to buy. The chance did exist.

I didn't, not because I'm boycotting, but just because I don't care enough about the product. Love the OT, enjoy the spectacle of the PT, but I expect more of Star Wars than this. Had it been as loaded as the Alien Anthology set, I would have paid $100 without hesitation.

--THX
Old 09-19-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I still want to care.
Old 09-19-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry, if this has been asked/answered before, but I might have missed in in 2800+ posts...

Is there a list of all the Spoofs in the blu-ray set? I'd eventually like to sit through all of them, but right now, I'm just kind of poking around. I thought they'd each have their own chapter point, but this is not the case.
Old 09-19-11, 03:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Technical problems

I've got a panasonic bd 80. Is anyone else experiencing extremely long load times? Not just when inserting the discs but also while navagating around disc 7,8, and 9

Also there doesn't seem to be any English subtitles on TPM. Subtitles for when the aliens speak. Whats the deal?
Old 09-19-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Sorry, if this has been asked/answered before, but I might have missed in in 2800+ posts...

Is there a list of all the Spoofs in the blu-ray set? I'd eventually like to sit through all of them, but right now, I'm just kind of poking around. I thought they'd each have their own chapter point, but this is not the case.

Please don't derail this thread by asking questions about the box set!
Old 09-19-11, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

Wow, a legitimate question about a Blu-ray feature on a Blu-ray disc. WOW. And I bet there won't be answer to this for pages and pages and pages and...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.