Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The sad part is she's right. The dumbed-down masses are probably snapping up this warmed-over piece of detritus in record numbers, and it will wind up netting them another tall pile of filthy lucre.
Exactly as you hear the constant rationale as to why fans are buying despite that they hate Lucas constant tinkering, "But....its Star Wars!"

I swear Lucas could take a dump in every boxset, and people would still buy it, "I know this boxset smells like shit, but its still Star Wars!"
Old 09-19-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah..that's the sad part. People will bitch...but most will buy it. Suckers.
Yep, that this is why any of us are still subjected to this nonsense. If some people who claim to love movies in general or even just a "fan" of SW would stop buying into this drivel, we'd have what we were meant to have this entire time.
Old 09-19-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I agree that arguing with Katie Lucas on Twitter is ridiculous, but she was dumb enough to egg on the fans with her post, "The haters will hate and complain...and then they will buy the boxset." She was almost inviting every idiot who hates her dad to reply to it.
Given the way online Star Wars fans are, i'm sure she was getting bombarded with idiots prior to the ****y response, so I bet it was warranted. Good for her.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yep, that this is why any of us are still subjected to this nonsense. If some people who claim to love movies in general or even just a "fan" of SW would stop buying into this drivel, we'd have what we were meant to have this entire time.
I love movies in general and bought the set. I understand there's a "principle" thing about not supporting movies because they shouldn't be tampered with, but the end result of my viewing experience doesn't really change after everything that's been done.
Old 09-19-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Bought the set Saturday at Target (with the lithographs) and am happy with it. I grew up with the OT and while I'm not happy that I will likely NEVER seem them as I did on the big screen as a kid on a current format, I still enjoy them enough that I'm not going to pass them up now that they are out in a hi-def format. I guess, like many of you, I could simply break out one of the many untouched versions I have on VHS or laser if I REALLY had to watch them as they were.

After finally seeing some of the more famous deleted scenes, I wish he WOULD make some changes! Adding in at least some of the earlier Biggs scenes would make his reunion with him and his subsequent death at the end of ANH more meaningful.

Love what could have been the opening scenes on Tatooine in ROTJ.

Anyway, enjoying the set so far. It is what it is. The good thing about it is, if you don't want to buy them, you don't have to. I guess that's why I don't understand all the complaining.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 09-19-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-19-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I love movies in general and bought the set. I understand there's a "principle" thing about not supporting movies because they shouldn't be tampered with, but the end result of my viewing experience doesn't really change after everything that's been done.
I love movies too. Hell, one of my degrees are in film. However, I think "revisionist cinema" is bullshit and that's why I will never pick up the set.

If you're a director and you couldn't release the film you wanted to make due to factors outside of your control, like studio politics, the MPAA giving the film a harder rating than desired, budgetary issues, whatever. Then you're allowed to make a director's cut.

If you're a director and you got to make the film you wanted, why are you going back to the well? Do you have no other ideas? "Well, technology is better now than it was in 1977." No, get out of here.

How many times has Ridley Scott gone back to the well and edited Alien and Blade Runner? However, what's been present on the DVD and Blu-ray releases of those films? All of the cuts starting with the theatrical. James Cameron, who practically now swims in money like Scrooge McDuck, what does he do? He makes multiple cuts of his films like Aliens, The Abyss, T2, Avatar, etc. What's on the DVD and Blu-ray release of those films? All of the multiple cuts.

I used to be a fan of Star Wars, but the way Lucas has been treating his fans for years has just put me off. Paramount has learned (some of) the errors of the ways with the way they treated the Star Trek franchise. You think maybe Lucas would do the same...
Old 09-19-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The sad part is she's right. The dumbed-down masses are probably snapping up this warmed-over piece of detritus in record numbers, and it will wind up netting them another tall pile of filthy lucre.
Exactly as you hear the constant rationale as to why fans are buying despite that they hate Lucas constant tinkering, "But....its Star Wars!"

I swear Lucas could take a dump in every boxset, and people would still buy it, "I know this boxset smells like shit, but its still Star Wars!"
Originally Posted by pinata242
Out of curiosity, this means that if you bought the 2004 DVD's you're part of the problem, no? I don't have the mentality of a big Star Wars fan so I've never been angry about all the changes, but given the changes on the DVD were far more extensive I don't see why the Blu-ray is where people are taking a stand, or somehow had different expectations of the release.
Old 09-19-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If he had taken the "Blade Runner" approach with this release not a single negative word would've been spoken.
Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I highly doubt that.

Amity, I hear you. It's a shame that the bitching and vulgar posts seem to be far louder and more plentiful than the positive ones. Them the interwebs for ya.
Sure you would get the nitpickers, but that would be about 1% of the fanbase. I have friends who don't post on the internet, don't hate Lucas at all, enjoy the PT, but are shaking their heads at the constant changes every several years. One of my friends is a huge Lucas defender, but he couldn't believe the NOOOO change in Jedi.

And please stop he is in a no way situation. If he released the OOT fully restored in 2004 with the SE back then on DVD, there wouldnt be loads of frustrated fans like you hear now. This has built up for years because we know there is some bullshit that will accompany every SW release.
This is the problem (bolded). He took way too long to finally get into the DVD market, and when he finally did, he was always a step behind. He used to call himself a trailblazer, but his DVDs (and now this Blu, apparently) are just run-of-the-mill releases. It's almost shovelware at this point. And yet he can't just shovel on 16x9 transfer of the originals?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And remember how long it took to get ANYTHING "Star Wars" AT ALL on DVD?? When The Phantom Menace came out, it was only on VHS (and on Laserdisc in Japan, no US release.) The reason was that Lucas wanted to "do something REALLY special" with the DVD release, but it would have to wait since he was working on Episode II- like it would take as much work as shooting an entire movie to make a fucking DVD of a movie that's already been made. I never bought it on DVD when it did come out later, but I heard it wasn't worth the wait (merit of the movie itself notwithstanding- I won't get into bashing it, I just accept it for what it is.)
Regarding the TPM DVD. It's not bad actually, there's a fairly good docu on there called The Beginning that's a pretty good look at the making of the film. Deleted scenes, trailers and such, etc. The prequel DVDs really aren't terrible. The worst thing is like I mentioned above, at times they're just throwing stuff on there because they know we'll buy whatever.
Old 09-19-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I was part of the problem in 2004. I kept thinking it was just a matter of time before the originals hit. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I thought the 30th anniversary was a good time to do it. Did he in 2007? Yes, but the non-anamorphic table scraps he threw us wasn't enough for me. In fact, all it did was make me realize his full mentality.

I haven't given his empire a single cent since then and I was a very big fanboy.
Old 09-19-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I love movies too. Hell, one of my degrees are in film. However, I think "revisionist cinema" is bullshit and that's why I will never pick up the set.
More power to you. I just don't believe the idea that anyone that loves movies necessarily need to share that stance

Sorry for being one of the people "ruining" it for the fans by not purchasing the set
Old 09-19-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with the changes, I'm still enjoying the hell outta this set. I think it's kind of funny though how with all the changes Lucas has made, there are still glaring issues. For example, the FOX fanfare in the beginning of Episode IV sounds like absolute garbage. Why not just sub in the fanfare from any of the movies for continuity? I'd rather just have the originals, but if you're gonna make updates, then make some good ones.
Old 09-19-11, 11:05 AM

I'm proud to ruin it for you whiners and complainers. This blu-ray set is nothing short of AMAZING. My wife and I have spent the whole weekend devouring each and every moment and we could not be more pleased.

The haters are going to hate and the real irony is that they are depriving themselves of a sublime experience over a change that amounts to .005% of total screen time.

Go ahead and boycott. No one will even notice that you are gone and THAT bothers you more than the actual changes do. These films belong to George Lucas and he can do what he damn well pleases with them. If you want the originals, simply invent a time machine, go back in time, create Star Wars and then you will have a say. Otherwise STFU! George does not need you and everyone else is sick of the bitching.
Old 09-19-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Katie.
Old 09-19-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by packaok
I'm proud to ruin it for you whiners and complainers. This blu-ray set is nothing short of AMAZING. My wife and I have spent the whole weekend devouring each and every moment and we could not be more pleased.

The haters are going to hate and the real irony is that they are depriving themselves of a sublime experience over a change that amounts to .005% of total screen time.

Go ahead and boycott. No one will even notice that you are gone and THAT bothers you more than the actual changes do. These films belong to George Lucas and he can do what he damn well pleases with them. If you want the originals, simply invent a time machine, go back in time, create Star Wars and then you will have a say. Otherwise STFU! George does not need you and everyone else is sick of the bitching.
You're talking about one change in one iteration. We're talking about the collective impact of not only nonsensical "OMG LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO NOW!" changes, but fundamental character and thematic moments.

That's fine, you can have your pretty package with all the gloss and sheen, but it's still an inadequate product. I'd rather have the content I want. Since that's not there, I'm not losing any sleep over it. There's plenty more out there to enjoy in this day and age, I don't feel obligated to buy into this crap yet again.
Old 09-19-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much more are people going to keep posting in this thread that they're NOT going to buy it? Okay, it's not for you, so why keep posting in this thread? Move on...
Old 09-19-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Star Wars is 121 minutes long, so a change of a single second (such as Greedo shooting first) affects approximately .0138% of the total screen time.

However, it's amazing what an affect a change of a single second can make. And Lucas had made several questionable changes of that sort of impact.

Go ahead and boycott. No one will even notice that you are gone and THAT bothers you more than the actual changes do.
I'm not buying the set, but not because I think my "boycott" will have a financial impact. I just simply justify spending the money on this set.

These films belong to George Lucas and he can do what he damn well pleases with them.
Do you know who disagrees with this sentiment? George Lucas.

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeecha...aledition.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lucas
A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history...

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.. it will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control....

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten...

The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests.
Lucas is free to make whatever changes he wants to the films. However, to refuse to release quality versions of the original versions of the films is a dick move that no other director has done, and a move that Lucas has previously decried himself.

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-02-12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm proud to ruin it for you whiners and complainers.

How are you ruining anything?

NOTHING you have said or could possibly say affects me in the slightest regarding this Blu-ray release. Can't speak for anyone else but you place far too much importance on your one insignificant opinion.

My opinion is just as insignificant.

Therefore nothing anyone here says will really make a difference to anyone else either way.

Ruin it for whiners and complainers?

Get over yourself.
Old 09-19-11, 12:04 PM

I am really enjoying this set so far. I spent the weekend going throught the bonus discs, which are much better than expected. There's a plethura of info on all 6 movies on discs 7 and 8, and the docs are pretty cool on disc 9.

The Star Warriors doc in particular was really interesting. It was like watching a Star Wars fanatics reality show. The part that really touched me was the guy who's son had Lukemia...really sad story.

So far as the movies go I've watched Ep I and II. TPM is leaps and bounds better than the dvd. The pink is gone and the picture is glorious in most places except for a few moment with some DNR. It doesn't ruin the experience though. AOTC looks great as well, but it's hard to appreciate it because the DVD looked great too. I'm hearing that ROTS is Avatar level in terms of PQ so I'm looking forward to that.

The audio on these films will blow your windows off. The podrace scene in particular was amazing on all levels, and the surround channels really got a workout.
Old 09-19-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the set because I love ESB. I don't believe I am contributing the problem and here's why.... Lucas is going to do whatever he wants. Whether he sells a billion copies or a hundred. All these Blu-ray sales probably won't make him what his merchandise does in a single month. So I don't think that voting with your wallet is really going to make a difference.

Having said that, I wish Lucas would remember where he came from, an auteur born out of that late 60's/early 70's rebellious era in Hollywood. Guys like Scorsese, Coppola, and Spielberg making movies because they loved movies. I wish he saw Blu-ray as not just a product to market like his action figures but as something for film buffs as well. I feel like his attitude is almost like "Want to watch the original Star Wars trilogy? Go find a 35mm print in a museum." It's just disappointing.
Old 09-19-11, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
How much more are people going to keep posting in this thread that they're NOT going to buy it? Okay, it's not for you, so why keep posting in this thread? Move on...
THIS! It isn't like you are visiting this thread looking for news about the set. You know what the set is and isn't. You keep posting just to say LOOK AT ME!!! I'm in the .000000001% minority, BUT I'M GONNA BE HEARD, REGARDLESS OF HOW IGNORANT I LOOK!
Old 09-19-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

THIS! It isn't like you are visiting this thread looking for news about the set. You know what the set is and isn't. You keep posting just to say LOOK AT ME!!! I'm in the .000000001% minority, BUT I'M GONNA BE HEARD, REGARDLESS OF HOW IGNORANT I LOOK!
No kidding?
Old 09-19-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 09-19-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does one look ignorant for voicing their displeasure about the set?

--THX
Old 09-19-11, 12:43 PM

And I wonder how many of those guys will actually stick to their guns and not eventually pick it up. Yes the OOT is not on this set, but if you're a Star Wars fan, you're missing out if you don't pick up this set.
Old 09-19-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
How does one look ignorant for voicing their displeasure about the set?

--THX
Hyperbolic use of made up percentages?

Originally Posted by leem6453
And I wonder how many of those guys will actually stick to their guns and not eventually pick it up. Yes the OOT is not on this set, but if you're a Star Wars fan, you're missing out if you don't pick up this set.
1,457.999997% of us.
Old 09-19-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I bought the set because I love ESB. I don't believe I am contributing the problem and here's why.... Lucas is going to do whatever he wants. Whether he sells a billion copies or a hundred. All these Blu-ray sales probably won't make him what his merchandise does in a single month. So I don't think that voting with your wallet is really going to make a difference.
I don't think so either really. For me it's more of, why would I want to pay 80-90 bucks for something that I know I won't like? Just doesn't make sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.