Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
There should be a poll added to this thread about who is caving in and buying it after they said they wouldn't.
I posted earlier, but I didn't cave today as I thought I would. I really thought once I would start seeing commercials and reviews that I would cave, but I keep thinking of Katie Lucas's tweet, "The haters will hate and complain, and then they will buy this set." I work in a family business and I was taught 'the customer is always right.', and that shows me she is just a spoiled brat who probably has never worked a day in her life with a comment like that.

Hey Katie, thanks for the motivation to avoid your fathers products.
Old 09-16-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be a poll added to this thread about who is caving in and buying it after they said they wouldn't.

I'm not touching this set unless I can find it used at some point and that's just for the bonus discs alone, not the six films in it I have no intention of watching.
Still not buying it. I remember when the '04 DVDs were released I was tight on cash and I was so upset that I couldn't buy them on release date. I ended up never buying it actually. For this release, I'm mostly indifferent, and a little sad. It should be a momentous day because Star Wars is on Blu-Ray, I just can't get myself excited over it.
Old 09-16-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Which version of Phantom Menace is in this set? The theatrical, the DVD version, something with new changes? I know they changed Yoda, but any editorial changes?
Editorially, it's identical to the DVD version. Besides the new Yoda there are some very tiny changes almost not worth mentioning. One shot of the Nemoidians looking at a screen is a wider take and the Jedi running effect near the beginning is a little different.
Old 09-16-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad I got this set! It is fantastic!
Old 09-16-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you happen to go to the Target I work at.. I put all the star wars sets in plastic cases. The Saga fit nicely in the big ones and the trilogys fit great in the small ones.
Old 09-16-11, 03:52 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just picked mine up at London Drugs here in Canada ($69). I'm at work now and can't wait to get home and start watching these movies.
My set didn't come with the 8 lithographs. Are they really that good? I'm wondering if I should have paid the $10 more at Futureshop to get them. Best Buy has a free t-shirt.
Old 09-16-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am feeling pretty good right now. i told myself not to buy this release, and i haven't. this morning, the urge did hit me to want to get over to Target/BB to check them out, but in the end even the crummy t-shirt or lithos did little to stir me up this time 'round. i just know that this set will collect dust on my shelf if i bought it, and even the old BestBuy tin set with the original versions is still sitting on the shelf as it is, barely watched. it's really tough to break these movies out to watch more than once, i gotta say. i'm glad those of you that bought your copies today will enjoy the new versions!
Old 09-16-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't preordered anything in a long time. This time I got a little worried and caved in and preordered it at Best Buy. I go to Target today and there's TONS of them! Whatever, I bought it at Target and will just keep my $5 film cell.

I watched the spoofs which was neat, but I wish they had a menu and you could select what you wanted to watch as opposed to 96 minutes straight of the spoofs. If I want to watch one of them I have to fast forward through it to find the one I want.

I am currently watch Episode I and the audio is phenomenal!
Old 09-16-11, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not touching this set unless I can find it used at some point and that's just for the bonus discs alone, not the six films in it I have no intention of watching.
I'm in best buy right now and I'm tempted to grab it.
Must resist!
Old 09-16-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Nope. And I'll even make sure all my relatives know not to get it for me for Christmas or anything.

I've considered getting it used like you, but I may just wait till the deleted scenes show up on those places where videos show up.
Old 09-16-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't buying it anyway, but the Best Buy near my apt in Los Angeles had fucked up every single copy of the complete saga with that spider wire crap.
Old 09-16-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

For anyone who wants this set just for the Deleted Scenes, you can go on Youtube as they have a load of them (alot of them from Luke on Tatooine). It is cool to see something new, but I usually just watch stuff like this once anyway, so thanks Youtube!
Old 09-16-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got my set in the mail today...
Old 09-16-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I had $50 in Best Buy Gift Cards and picked it up today for about $36 after tax.

Looking forward to checking this out, but after checking out the documentaries section, I was very disappointed they didn't include an HD version of "Empire of Dreams." Why wasn't it included?

Luckily I still have the DVD box set that has it, but that sucks for anyone who sold their DVD sets to get this.
Old 09-16-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuck and god damn it. I swore up and down I wouldn't pick this set up. I decided to stop by Future Shop, as I do almost every Tuesday and ended up walking out with it. Now I'm at home, with it open on my table and have a regret stomach ache. Why the hell did I buy this? ugh.
Old 09-16-11, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Looking forward to checking this out, but after checking out the documentaries section, I was very disappointed they didn't include an HD version of "Empire of Dreams." Why wasn't it included?

Luckily I still have the DVD box set that has it, but that sucks for anyone who sold their DVD sets to get this.
The didn't include anything from the previous releases save for the audio commentaries.
Old 09-16-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this set BD only or does it include digital copies?
Old 09-16-11, 07:51 PM

TPM hasn't aged well at all. The DNR done to this is pretty bad. Not Predator bad, but still it looks pretty bad, and the CGI doesn't stand up too well.

It's almost as if the framerate is often really fuzzy when there's too much action on screen, and when there are still shots, everything on screen is soft and waxy.

It's strange, but whenever something isn't in focus, there's a fuzzyness to the screen, not because it's out of focus, it's different. Like static? I'm not sure how to describe, but the PQ is all over the place.

The space shots are the best, and a lot of the long-shot environment views are gorgeous.

No digital copies.
Old 09-16-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently they're calling the Boba Fett cartoon an easter egg, even though it's not particularly hidden. I'm still wanting to know what else is hidden about.

Correct information on finding the cartoon:
OT Bonus Disk - Episode IV - Pursued by the Imperial Fleet - The Collection - Boba Fett Prototype Costume - First Look
Old 09-16-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to my local target and they ran out of Lithographs pretty quick. I think the fact that they also sold the lithos for 9.99 separately, customers most likely grabbed multiples to make a profit on ebay or just bought the lithos and made their purchases elsewhere because of the Spider wire alarms ruining all their complete sets. It made my decision pretty easy and i left the store without picking it up at Target, since the pkg were all ruined.
Old 09-16-11, 09:34 PM

Anyone have any custom covers? I was hunting a cover for the original trilogy and the prequels, and then a cover for the bonus discs. I found some 3 disc blu-ray cases I was going to get from ebay to save shelf space
Old 09-16-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by shacmasta
....or just bought the lithos and made their purchases elsewhere because of the Spider wire alarms ruining all their complete sets.
These movies were ruined long before any clerk put "spider wire" on them.
Old 09-16-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought both sets for $30/each (PM at Bestbuy). I just want the movies so I didn't want to pay $20-30 more just for the Complete Saga. I don't like ep I through III, but the PQs is really nice so I say what the heck for $10/movie.

While I don't like the changes Lucas made, it doesn't bother me at all since 99.9% of the movie is intact.
Old 09-16-11, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Is my Target the only one that didn't have the sets in any kind of security devices? Mine had them right at the check out with no spider wraps or plastic cases. It was really cool, since the DVD section is at the back of the store, I went in saw them sitting there and didn't have to venture any further into the store. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. And they had a few lithographs left, I had no idea they were doing that until I got there, so it was a nice surprise. I don't know who the hell would pay $10 for those, for free, I was completely fine with it.
Old 09-17-11, 12:12 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Natedogg
Anyone have any custom covers? I was hunting a cover for the original trilogy and the prequels, and then a cover for the bonus discs. I found some 3 disc blu-ray cases I was going to get from ebay to save shelf space
I don't think you are going to save any space, if anything you might lose space, because it looked to me like the set was maybe a little bigger than two standard blu cases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.