Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by MWB
And Wicket the Ewok's on there twice!
Look more carefully- he's on there thrice!
Old 08-23-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Wow. Um, wow. That picture.... Uh, what the fuck?
Maybe one of George's kids made it and, after praising it to the heavens and giving it pride-of-place on the refrigerator, George knew he'd lose credibility with the only fans he really cares about if he didn't back up his kudos with a pro commission.
Old 08-23-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lack of creative artistic abilities aside, I don't like how they just ushered Luke, Leia, Lando and Han in the top right corner and then gave the biggest amount of space to Qui-Gon and Anakin... maybe that sums up Lucas though?
Old 08-23-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Look more carefully- he's on there thrice!
The one between Chewie and Leia? I don't think that's Wicket. Looks more this guy:

I don't know his name. He's pictured on the vintage Paploo action figure's cardback, but he's not Paploo.

Paploo:

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Lack of creative artistic abilities aside, I don't like how they just ushered Luke, Leia, Lando and Han in the top right corner and then gave the biggest amount of space to Qui-Gon and Anakin... maybe that sums up Lucas though?
How does fucking Temuera Morrison occupy as much real estate on that thing as the four main stars of the original trilogy combined?
Old 08-23-11, 12:01 PM
Suspended

Veers looks like The Toxic Avenger, and Shmi has a grin like shes saying "yeah, you bought this piece of shit"
Old 08-23-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't see Natalie Portman anywhere in that drawing. Time to download some custom artwork
Old 08-23-11, 12:14 PM
Suspended

What you talking about, shes standing in front of the Qui Giant Jinn.

I bet if Lucas daughter didnt get such a shit storm thrown at her about her picking the cover, she would have tweeted already that she picked all these wonderful pieces.
Old 08-23-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
What you talking about, shes standing in front of the Qui Giant Jinn.

I bet if Lucas daughter didnt get such a shit storm thrown at her about her picking the cover, she would have tweeted already that she picked all these wonderful pieces.
Its a joke. Saying the rendition looks nothing like her.
Old 08-23-11, 12:16 PM

Wow...

Wow.

I've seen better art at State Fair spray paint booths. Seriously.

Wow!
Old 08-23-11, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
It looks like Jessica Alba.
Old 08-23-11, 12:27 PM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

What are the chances the bonus discs would be available for rent at a Red Box or Netflix so I don't have to buy this thing?

I don't think I've ever really cared about packaging one way or the other but all of that artwork is horrible and I just don't think I want to pull a favorite film out of a sleeve of puke like that. So many of the "paintings" are based on on-set photographs or straight from the films; I wish they'd just used those. Those are so iconic, particularly the original trilogy ones like the one of Yoda.

The collage picture has been available as a poster for a while now. If you think it's bad now, consider this: someone at Lucasfilm photochopped it to make the characters appear the way they do on the DVD. Here's the actual poster at an online poster shop (click this link to go to the poster shop and see a bigger version by clicking "zoom"):

I like how they shoehorn in Luke, Leia, and Han.

I'm surprised they edited out George Lucas who actually appears in the original poster!

Puke.

Last edited by story; 08-23-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by stingermck
No shit.
Old 08-23-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
The collage picture has been available as a poster for a while now. If you think it's bad now, consider this: someone at Lucasfilm photochopped it to make the characters appear the way they do on the DVD. Here's the actual poster at an online poster shop (click this link to go to the poster shop and see a bigger version by clicking "zoom"):

I like how they shoehorn in Luke, Leia, and Han.

Puke.
Time well spent, LFL, time well spent...
Old 08-23-11, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
these are blu-ray discs...they don't scratch from packaging like this. My Alien Anthology discs are holding up just fine
Do they just slide out or what?
Old 08-23-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyb
Do they just slide out or what?
you lift up one end and slide the disc out.

Is it a pain? a little, but blu-ray discs are resilient.

Honestly, there will be probably hundreds of custom art designs for this set done to be used with regular packaging, so I can't understand people not wanting to pick this set up because of that
Old 08-23-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I'm surprised they edited out George Lucas who actually appears in the original poster!

Puke.
Yes, but they did a terrible job removing him. He was behind Dooku. If you look now, you can see right over Dooku's shoulder a blue-green shirt collar.

Somehow, while photoshopping this poster for the Blu-Ray artwork, they removed Lucas but left his shirt.
Old 08-23-11, 03:52 PM

Based on that picture I'm tempted to throw away the box art. I'm printing out custom covers anyway.
Old 08-23-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

While that picture is dreadful in every sense of the word, I wouldn't exactly call it "box-art" and throw out the packaging just because of it. Looks like it's just the interior pages of where the insert is going to go.
Old 08-23-11, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
While that picture is dreadful in every sense of the word, I wouldn't exactly call it "box-art" and throw out the packaging just because of it. Looks like it's just the interior pages of where the insert is going to go.
My bad...wrong choice of words on my part. I really don't mind the outer box art, although it wouldn't be my first pick. That inner art is almost enough to ruin the whole package. It's not going to stop my purchase though.
Old 08-23-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the story here? I hadn't heard this.
Old 08-23-11, 05:33 PM
Suspended

When photos of the cover came out a few months ago, she tweeted that she picked them. Then everyone started about how she is like daddy and the future of SW looks even worse and so on. So she either retweeted or in an interview said some shit, like "haters gonna hate and still spend their money on it". People got even more made about those statements. But proof is in this awful looking set.
Old 08-23-11, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I've never been happy with any Star Wars art for home video.

The only two that look good are the Original posters for SW and ESB that were used for the first VHS and LD releases. After that...

-I've never liked the poster for ROTJ that was subsequently used for the first VHS
-The Definitive laserdisc set had no artwork, just white letters on black background
-The "faces" art looked cheap and half assed
-The theatrical posters for the 1997 Special Edition (which were rolled over onto VHS and laserdisc) are terrible in my opinion, too cluttered and drawn with too much detail in an effort to make it more photo real.
-The 2004 DVD cover art is awful beyond belief.
Old 08-23-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus that collage is bad.
Old 08-23-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When photos of the cover came out a few months ago, she tweeted that she picked them. Then everyone started about how she is like daddy and the future of SW looks even worse and so on. So she either retweeted or in an interview said some shit, like "haters gonna hate and still spend their money on it". People got even more made about those statements. But proof is in this awful looking set.
wasn't that "haters gonna hate" bit about the special features included in this blu-ray set? Not necessarily specific to the cover art?
Old 08-23-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Yes, but they did a terrible job removing him. He was behind Dooku. If you look now, you can see right over Dooku's shoulder a blue-green shirt collar.

Somehow, while photoshopping this poster for the Blu-Ray artwork, they removed Lucas but left his shirt.
what a bunch of idiots!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.