Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I would view the digital painting out of Natalie Portman's nipples (which were plainly visible through her white jumpsuit in the theatrical release) as damaging to the film, personally.
Crud, forgot about that. Was thinking just about the bit where she falls out of the gunship.

Still can't believe I didn't grab the maquette with her cameltoe showing when it was available...
Old 05-11-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know about any of these things. Can some pics be posted of what we're talking about?
Old 05-11-11, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would view the digital painting out of Natalie Portman's nipples (which were plainly visible through her white jumpsuit in the theatrical release) as damaging to the film, personally.
Maybe it's cuz I've seen it so little in general but I never heard about that.
Old 05-11-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Still can't believe I didn't grab the maquette with her cameltoe showing when it was available...
Maquette? Do you mean plate photography composited with pre-vis animation or something like that?
Old 05-11-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No it was one of those really detailed little statues. About 6-8 inches tall and a very visible cameltoe.
Old 05-11-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Did they really remove them?

I remember seeing the movie in the theater and thinking it strange she was sporting Hoth nipples in a desert environment.

On the DVD, the effect isn't as prominent. Didn't know if it was just because I was watching it on a sixty-foot screen, if they were removed for the home video release, or if my mind exaggerated the whole thing (ala the Sloane undressing scene in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off.")

I think we need some "before and after" pictures to compare.
Old 05-11-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I just need the "before" pictures.
Old 05-11-11, 10:59 PM

2011 is the year of blurays!
Old 05-11-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I remember thinking the first time I saw AotC on digital projection opening night how much her nipples were visible. I just grabbed this pic off Google images:

Spoiler:

Might be an "after" shot
Old 05-11-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah. By doing so, he raped my manhood!
Old 05-11-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I just need the "before" pictures.
Or you could see hundreds of thousands of different nipples just by typing the term on a Google image search.
Old 05-12-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Did they really remove them?

I remember seeing the movie in the theater and thinking it strange she was sporting Hoth nipples in a desert environment.

On the DVD, the effect isn't as prominent. Didn't know if it was just because I was watching it on a sixty-foot screen, if they were removed for the home video release, or if my mind exaggerated the whole thing (ala the Sloane undressing scene in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off.")
Don't ask me to dig this up because I'll never find it again, but some time after the DVD was released, a person who worked at an FX house that does digital touch-up work (wire removal and the like) confirmed in a forum thread somewhere that his company had "fixed" this problem for the DVD.
Old 05-12-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I haven't bothered to look but did they fix the nip slip in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi for the last couple of DVD releases?
Old 05-12-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree with this. If Lucas just changes some subtle effects shots (Battle of Yavin comes to mind) or (changing Obiwans Home), fans like me wouldn't have been up in arms about the changes. Sure there would be a fanbase that would demand the originals, but it would be much smaller.

The change that tipped me over the edge was removing Shaw from the Ghost Scene and adding Hayden. That killed any argument for Saga fans to say, "Well, if you don't like the PT, you don't have to watch em!!" Well, now I have to see Hayden Christenson in ROTJ everytime I watch it you stupid idiots!
I can always defend that particular change because they kept Shaw in the scene with the actual dialouge which I thought was more important. In the beginning I had heard rumors they had put Hayden's face and voice in place of Shaw there as well.

Hayden showing up at the end at least solidified an idea in Lucas's mind that Force ghosts are supposed to look the way they did when last "filled" (for lack of a better term) with the light side of the Force.

Yes I know there's just as much a counter point that if Anakin went back to the light right when he killed the Emperor shouldn't he have stayed in Shaw form but one can choose to state he wasn't living enough to fully encapsulate or something like that.
Old 05-12-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I haven't bothered to look but did they fix the nip slip in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi for the last couple of DVD releases?
I think it's still there, guess Femi Taylor doesn't have as much pull as Natalie Portman.

(Fun fact, she was brought back to film additional scenes for the SE's in 97 and was in such good shape that she looks barely changed from 1983).
Old 05-12-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I saw Attack on Spike HD over the weekend, and they were plain as day during the final battle.
Old 05-12-11, 04:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah. I for one don't notice any difference between what I saw at the theater and what I see at home on DVD. Portman's nips look like they could poke a wookie's eye out in all versions I've ever seen. I think you folks need to calibrate your TV's.
Old 05-12-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. The breast pop is still in Return of the Jedi. It's still in the '04 DVDs, so it survived two special editions.

2. Regarding AOTC, Nat's nips can still sort of be seen in the DVD version, so I don't think Lucasfilm scrubbed every trace of them, but I do recall at least one scene in the theatrical version where they're really prominent and pokey. Looked like she was smuggling a couple of marbles under that tight white top. And that isn't on the DVD.

3. I don't think Nat requested the removal, since the real things can be seen in a few of brief shots of "Closer." (Yeah, I know she was supposed to be more naked in Closer, and that nude scenes were allegedly filmed, but the nip slips in "Closer" survived to DVD and HD.)
Old 05-12-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd just like to say that I'm infinitely more interested in this thread now that it's found its new topic, "Natalie Portman's nipples". Let's all stay in the here and now and forget about this Star Wars BD release that looks to be pretty crappy, anyway.
Old 05-12-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't think Nat requested the removal, since the real things can be seen in a few of brief shots of "Closer." (Yeah, I know she was supposed to be more naked in Closer, and that nude scenes were allegedly filmed, but the nip slips in "Closer" survived to DVD and HD.)
I need to watch my DVD of Closer again (as well as get the BD).
Old 05-12-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

At least the useless chatter has now become interesting
Old 05-12-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
At least the useless chatter has now become interesting
The Classic Trilogy Legacy:

-The Death Star
-Darth Vader
-The Force
-'I am a your father!"
-Millenium Falcon
-Slave Leia

The Prequel Trilogy Legacy:

-Jar Jar Binks
-Natalie's nipples in AOTC
Old 05-12-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

GL's birthday is May 14. He turns 67. Will only nice things be said about him for that day?

TFN says it's confirmed that audio is DTS-HD MA and covers are non-lenticular.
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...its_138126.asp
Old 05-12-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The Classic Trilogy Legacy:

-The Death Star
-Darth Vader
-The Force
-'I am a your father!"
-Millenium Falcon
-Slave Leia

The Prequel Trilogy Legacy:

-Jar Jar Binks
-Natalie's nipples in AOTC
Have we forgotten about "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" already?
Old 05-13-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I think we've forgotten that entire trilogy already.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.