DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   BD announcement of the century: Troll 2 - Oct. 5th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/577892-bd-announcement-century-troll-2-oct-5th.html)

bse 08-17-10 06:58 PM

Re: BD announcement of the century: Troll 2 - Oct. 5th

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10325884)

Cash grab all the way.

please explain to me what releases are not "cash grabs"

Gizmo 08-17-10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bse (Post 10326941)
please explain to me what releases are not "cash grabs"

Err, well in this case, Troll 2 is regarded as one of the worst movies ever made. Having a 20th Anniversary edition of the film, along with a tagline ("Nilbog") that only fans of this shitfest would know, and typing into the Best Worst Movie Ever release just screams super cash grab. It's not like Sony thought "The Messenger" would sell well (just an example, I could name hundreds on the BD format like GI Jane), they just released it to pad out some releases. And since MGMs releases are just so fucking random, they made a point to tout this release.

PhantomStranger 08-17-10 09:04 PM

The decision to release this film on Blu-ray is just mystifying, when MGM can't even bankroll new movies anymore. Honestly I had never heard of this film in my entire life, and my DVD/BD collection numbers in the thousands. Based on the announcement, I watched it off the MGM HD channel the other day to see what merit, if any, this movie possesses. The sheer stupidity of it drove me to delete it off the DVR an hour into the movie. Only a person on narcotics or heavily intoxicated could possibly enjoy watching this dreck.

Just remember each studio has limited slots to pick which catalog titles come out on Blu-ray. Troll 2 is basically taking the place of a much better film on Blu-ray. That is a travesty.

Gizmo 08-17-10 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 10327125)
The decision to release this film on Blu-ray is just mystifying, when MGM can't even bankroll new movies anymore. Honestly I had never heard of this film in my entire life, and my DVD/BD collection numbers in the thousands. Based on the announcement, I watched it off the MGM HD channel the other day to see what merit, if any, this movie possesses. The sheer stupidity of it drove me to delete it off the DVR an hour into the movie. Only a person on narcotics or heavily intoxicated could possibly enjoy watching this dreck.

Just remember each studio has limited slots to pick which catalog titles come out on Blu-ray. Troll 2 is basically taking the place of a much better film on Blu-ray. That is a travesty.

In some cases, yes. A catalog title being released is taking the place of another one (I know of many that were canceled/post-poned for various reasons, like a different catalog choice or a low supply of discs). But in MGMs case, they are doing the ol' 'whatever sticks to the wall' treatment and releasing random titles for some extra cash. Troll 2 will probably sell really well for them.

I don't care, I'm buying this.

LosingMyMind 08-18-10 01:46 AM

Extras, plus the fact that I must save the studio, have me buying this.

Eric D. 08-18-10 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 10327125)
Honestly I had never heard of this film in my entire life

Wow man, that's pretty impressive. I take it you're not really into horror or cult movies then?

PhantomStranger 08-18-10 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10327458)
Wow man, that's pretty impressive. I take it you're not really into horror or cult movies then?

A big horror devotee, but the Troll series had escaped my attention until the announcement of this disc. Apparently I was not missing anything.

Adam Tyner 08-18-10 04:10 PM

Best Worst Movie just showed up on Amazon as its own individual release, and the distributor is listed as New Video. That should be a near-guarantee that it won't be on the Troll 2 BD. :-/

LosingMyMind 08-18-10 08:01 PM

I just ordered 40 copies from amazon to give away at my Halloween party. MGM better be pleased.

SterlingBen 08-18-10 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 10328607)
I just ordered 40 copies from amazon to give away at my Halloween party. MGM better be pleased.

Why are you throwing a party for people you hate?

bse 08-18-10 10:25 PM

you should place that order through a distributor or one stop, save some cash.

i'm happy for the best worst movie announcement, i'm just happy its getting a release and i pre-ordered.

PHMustang2000 08-19-10 12:07 AM

"There Eating Her, Then Their gonna eat me! Oh My GoooooooooooooooooooooooooooD!!!"

SterlingBen 08-19-10 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000 (Post 10328928)
"There Eating Her, Then Their gonna eat me! Oh My GoooooooooooooooooooooooooooD!!!"

I hate to be a grammar troll (or goblin as the case may be) but really? Twice and two different ways?

*They're

Greg MacGuffin 08-19-10 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10328304)
Best Worst Movie just showed up on Amazon as its own individual release, and the distributor is listed as New Video. That should be a near-guarantee that it won't be on the Troll 2 BD. :-/

Not a huge Troll 2 fan, but Best Worst Movie is one of my favorite docs of the past few years.

Abe. 08-26-10 08:08 PM

Think about the cholesterol!

The Reaper 08-27-10 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10328711)
Why are you throwing a party for people you hate?

rotfl

tylergfoster 08-27-10 02:04 PM

Excepting myself, obviously, every time this thread is bumped without a list of special features, I flood a motorhome with popcorn in anger.

Zen Peckinpah 08-27-10 04:58 PM

That song I like so much will never sound better than on Blu-ray!

tylergfoster 09-08-10 10:48 PM

Bah. I have no concrete confirmation but it sounds like there aren't actually extras after all. If that's true, that's disappointing, but not exactly unexpected.

Adam Tyner 10-05-10 06:58 AM

My review!
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/45274/troll-2/

Seriously, Troll 2 looks pretty gorgeous in high-def. The lack of extras is a definite disappointment, but it really, really is worth the upgrade.

SethDLH 10-05-10 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10411835)
My review!
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/45274/troll-2/

Seriously, Troll 2 looks pretty gorgeous in high-def. The lack of extras is a definite disappointment, but it really, really is worth the upgrade.

Yessssssssssssssss. I am unbelievably excited to get this.

Also- Your undying love for the movie makes me smile. I'm getting close to that point with the movie myself. I've seen it 8 times now (rarely do I actually keep track of how many times I've seen a movie) and it just keeps getting better.

Adam Tyner 10-05-10 07:24 AM

I always forget just how gorgeous that blonde halfway through is...the one who's gobbled up in the church for the "oh my Gawwwwwwwwd" chestnut.

In a movie that's kind of top to bottom ugly, she seems so out of place.

kstublen 10-05-10 02:11 PM

Good review Adam. Too bad they didn't use the old flipper of Troll/Trol 2 as the Bonus DVD. Not sure why they couldn't have just thrown that in instead of putting in the new DVD, same transfer. Not a deal-breaker though, I mean, who really cares about Troll? I think I'll pick this up, but will probably hold off for a better price. I mean, it's gotta drop below the $14.99 on Amazon sooner or later.

This is by far my favourite line of the review:

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...and here it is on Blu-ray. We're around four and a half years into the life of the format, and there's no Jaws, no Sunset Blvd., and no Star Wars, but we do have...well, this, and that's kind of amazing.

highclassrob 10-05-10 04:14 PM

now thats a party I want to go to.

Toddarino 10-05-10 07:41 PM

I was shocked to find this at Wal-Mart today for $15. If it already wasn't such an expensive month I would have picked it up.