Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Damn, I'm wrong all over the place. Except my last post

@Jay: I trusted you to know when I said stuff, you have disappointed me...
Old 12-23-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Thank you, guys, for the fascinating experience. It's such an intriguing phenomenon to me to witness how many people imagine me all bent out of shape because I posted an unpopular opinion and then proceeded to answer folks' questions about it.
Communication is a two-way street. If one person here thought that you were ranting and bent out of shape over this, then that person may have misread your posts. However, since multiple people here think that you're ranting and bent out of shape, the problem is more likely with your communication style, which is conveying meanings you apparently don't intend, to the point that when you say "no, no, I really don't care that much," people don't believe you.

Keep in mind that your posts are all we have to go on to know your meanings and intentions. So you may not personally need to "calm the fuck down," but your writing style certainly does.
Old 12-23-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Note that he did preorder before specs were announced, such as how many discs or what the special features would be, which were announced on October 20th.
I remember seeing a pretty thorough description of what the set was expected to include, but it was not yet an official announcement.

I love all this exploration of the minutiae of my order which I've said repeatedly has nothing to do with my position. You guys are such a curiosity.
Old 12-23-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a properly-subtitled version of the director's cut (which I'm assuming would be the Tartan special edition)? All I've seen is Starmax's version, and the text leaves a lot to be desired. I'm actually stoked to see that cut with a new subtitle translation, even though I know that my preference lies with the theatrical version.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 12-23-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-23-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However, since multiple people here think that you're ranting and bent out of shape, the problem is more likely with your communication style, which is conveying meanings you apparently don't intend, to the point that when you say "no, no, I really don't care that much," people don't believe you.
Fair point and that's entirely possible, but the volume of paranoiac replies has caused me to second-guess myself and look back at my posts. Maybe I'm too close to it, but man... it's just not there.

I really think my own theory may have something to it. Most people who post unpopular opinions just defend/explain them once or twice and then say "Whatever, man... I've said my bit" and proceed to ignore the follow-up questions/comments. People probably aren't familiar with seeing anyone spend this much time defending/explaining an unpopular opinion without insane ranting.

Keep in mind that your posts are all we have to go on to know your meanings and intentions. So you may not personally need to "calm the fuck down," but your writing style certainly does.
That's precisely why I keep inviting/requesting people take a look back. If you can point me at my insane ranting, I'd love to be enlightened about it. I've answered a couple of snarky, demeaning comments in a tone commensurate with their level, but that's the full extent of my incivility.

Seriously, maybe I am insane, but please give me something to go on here. When you're trying to convince someone of something, evidence is always a help.
Old 12-23-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may not make much sense after it's written, but I partially agree with Doctorossi. For me personally, I immediately ordered this from Amazon.uk after reading about the limited availability of 5000 posted here. I knew this would be a pretty popular release due to its "cult" status, so I didn't wait (as I normally would) for confirmation of extras, region coding, etc. I have a few numbered edition releases, but I don't have any as limited as 5000 so that was a selling point to me, and Arrow had stated pretty confidently that no more would be made. When the announcement that it was raised to 10,000 was released, I was torn. Part of me was disappointed that some of the coolness factor (to me) was gone as I do have other xxx of 10,000 releases, but at the same time I felt relieved that I now was pretty much guaranteed to at least receive one. Was the numbering the only reason I was getting this? Absolutely not (I currently have the Starmax and was definitely looking at this as an upgrade), but it was a part of it. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of it even if there is a little lingering disappointment.
Old 12-23-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

All this talk about the numbering and "limited edition" sets is crazy IMHO. I'm just waiting for my set to arrive...
Old 12-23-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
All this talk about the numbering and "limited edition" sets is crazy IMHO. I'm just waiting for my set to arrive...
Yes, the great numbering debate is utter silliness, but at least it's something that involves some discussion.

"Still waiting for mine."

"Me, too."

"Wonder if it'll come today."

etc.

doesn't really get us anywhere, IMO.
Old 12-23-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still waiting for mine
Old 12-23-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Me too.
Old 12-23-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Has anyone ever seen a properly-subtitled version of the director's cut (which I'm assuming would be the Tartan special edition)? All I've seen is Starmax's version, and the text leaves a lot to be desired. I'm actually stoked to see that cut with a new subtitle translation, even though I know that my preference lies with the theatrical version.
Well, if you don't mind "Mom" spelled "Mum" then your all set because the subs are pretty spot on.

I can't believe no one on this board got their copy yet.
Old 12-23-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Did this thread take a turn...

Wonder if it'll come today.

I don't recall has anyone commented on it that actually has it? I don't want to wade back through 5+ pages of numbering discussion.
Old 12-23-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
Well, if you don't mind "Mom" spelled "Mum" then your all set because the subs are pretty spot on.
BRITISH ENGLISH?!

(insert insane ranting here)

Old 12-23-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is not here yet. Amazon UK has been slooooooow this month. I usually get Royal Mail in 1 week and it's been taking 2-3 since November. The only people I've been seeing get it so far are those that paid for Express shipping.

Please todaaay.
Old 12-23-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
This may not make much sense after it's written, but I partially agree with Doctorossi. For me personally, I immediately ordered this from Amazon.uk after reading about the limited availability of 5000 posted here. I knew this would be a pretty popular release due to its "cult" status, so I didn't wait (as I normally would) for confirmation of extras, region coding, etc. I have a few numbered edition releases, but I don't have any as limited as 5000 so that was a selling point to me, and Arrow had stated pretty confidently that no more would be made. When the announcement that it was raised to 10,000 was released, I was torn. Part of me was disappointed that some of the coolness factor (to me) was gone as I do have other xxx of 10,000 releases, but at the same time I felt relieved that I now was pretty much guaranteed to at least receive one. Was the numbering the only reason I was getting this? Absolutely not (I currently have the Starmax and was definitely looking at this as an upgrade), but it was a part of it. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of it even if there is a little lingering disappointment.
Same thing happened to me with the Alien Anthology Egg packaging. I was at Comic-Con and Fox said it was an exclusive to Comic-Con, so I got it. Later on I found out anyone could buy it off their website. Not much of an exclusive anymore so the luster wasn't quite as bright.

Ohwell. Life goes on. As for Battle Royale, I would've liked to have seen Arrow keep the numbered sets to 5,000. They then could produce as many as they wanted without the number. Again, no biggie to get upset about.
Old 12-23-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRITISH ENGLISH?!
Those bloody wanker **** twats, how dare they.

SIR, I SAID GOOD DAY.

[Still waiting for my copy.]
Old 12-23-10, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ohwell. Life goes on. As for Battle Royale, I would've liked to have seen Arrow keep the numbered sets to 5,000. They then could produce as many as they wanted without the number. Again, no biggie to get upset about.

They are doing that, only with 10k sets.
Old 12-23-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Did this thread take a turn...

I don't recall has anyone commented on it that actually has it? I don't want to wade back through 5+ pages of numbering discussion.
So far I'm the only one. I posted pics on page 10 with my number. After that the thread went nuts with the current discussion.

I did a little comment on the pic quality and other stuff that came with it on page 15.

Last edited by mrhan; 12-23-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-23-10, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checked...Nope, but I did get a package from Amazon. Metropolis! (Ooh! I really like the lenticular cover.)
Old 12-23-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Mine arrived yesterday, but I wasn't home to receive it, so I'm picking it up today on the way home. Hopefully that bodes well for others here.
Old 12-23-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yes, the great numbering debate is utter silliness, but at least it's something that involves some discussion.

"Still waiting for mine."

"Me, too."

"Wonder if it'll come today."

etc.

doesn't really get us anywhere, IMO.
True but it's better than getting upset over a number. BTW, my set is here:

Photobucket

And this is just for you Doctorossi:
Photobucket
Old 12-23-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha. You're in the 5,000+ club. What a loser.
Old 12-23-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the nice pics, LorenzoL! BTW, word on the street says the even-numbered ones have higher bit-rate video.
Old 12-23-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
BTW, my set is here:

Photobucket
Thanks for posting! It is a DVD-sized case, right? My eyes are playing tricks on me (it looks shorter).
Old 12-23-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for the picture!

I was going to pass on it but I'm almost tempted to order after seeing pictures of the actual set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.