Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by mink-e
I'm guessing you haven't been following this release at all since the region was announced.
Since the region announcement came after the quantity-change announcement, I don't think the question is relevant.

Had you been remotely interested in the release, I have a hard time believing that you wouldn't have come across this detail in the month and a half (almost two months) after it was announced before they started shipping.
I am thoroughly and excruciatingly interested in:

the movie and how it looks and sounds on the disc

the on-disc extras

I am not a whit interested in:

the 'limited edtion'-ness

the packaging

the paper extras (cards, etc.)

And you keep saying that you don't care about this change, but a lot of your responses in this thread have been bordering on rants, so you obviously do.
I think I've been pretty clear, more than once, that while I don't personally care for or about the numbering, I do care that any customers who do care about it could be mislead and I don't care to see companies making these claims or failing to live up to them.
Old 12-22-10, 03:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Good luck. I've had two other orders with Amazon.uk this year. One arrived in five days, the other took nine weeks.
I order from the UK all the time, so the wait is not uncommon for me and considering the weather over at the moment, it's no surprise that it is playing havoc on the postal service, but still - I'm just so itchin' for this bluray, (along with my music order from action records; the latest Manic Street Preachers single)
Old 12-22-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I order from the UK all the time, so the wait is not uncommon for me and considering the weather over at the moment, it's no surprise that it is playing havoc on the postal service
My orders were earlier enough in the year that weather shouldn't have been a factor. I expect the delinquent order was probably held up in customs. Luckily for me, the one that arrived quickly has about ten times the content of the other, so it made twiddling my thumbs easier while I waited.
Old 12-22-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I haven't gotten mine yet, and who knows when with the snow.
My copy of Metropolis just arrived a couple of days ago, and it shipped on November 20th.
Old 12-22-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope. I just wanted them to do what they said they were going to do before I handed them my money to do it. Crazy me!
If you ordered it from any reputable online store, they did. No big store charges until they have stock in hand.
Old 12-22-10, 03:56 PM

Mine should be coming from the Arrow office, in fact, I need to send them a note chastising them for being liar, liar, pant on fires.
Old 12-22-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Mine should be coming from the Arrow office, in fact, I need to send them a note chastising them for being liar, liar, pant on fires.
A nice 'Please honor your numbering scheme or don't do it at all' wouldn't go amiss.

Do it for the children.
Old 12-22-10, 04:07 PM

There is a mean joke in there I won't tell.
Old 12-22-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just looked back at my order history. I placed my order on 10/21 and it was labeled as a special edition, not a limited edition. So this talk about the limited edition numbers being thrown in our faces in nonsense. Amazon didn't even list it as limited until at least the 22nd, after the correction had already been made.

I wish they would up the number to 100,000 just to see this guy's head explode.
Old 12-22-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't understand the big deal here.
There is no big deal whatsoever. It's just one vocal weirdo.
Old 12-22-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read all FOUR PAGES since I last posted in this thread, but the fact that this was a "Limited Edition" played zero part in my interest in buying it. I think the complaint only applies if a premium price tag is attached -- that makes it special. I paid 14.99 GBP for it, which is totally reasonable, and felt no rush to do so other than my own desire to finally have a working copy of the movie again (it's been years).

There was a truck analogy made that I saw: guy with a yellow truck says "Hey, you wanna buy a red truck?" The problem with the analogy is that the guy is purposefully duping the customer, and the duping is also blatant. I believe Arrow intended to press only 5,000 during the time they were claiming there would only be 5,000.
Old 12-22-10, 04:40 PM

Mine came this morning, after having it pre-ordered for months. (dang the bad weather atm)

I squeed at the prettyness of it, I've only had it on region 2 dvd before so this is a major step up.
Old 12-22-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love how people just throw out terms like 'bait-and-switch' without fully understanding what they mean.

A bait-and-switch is where a seller advertises a certain product at a certain price without ever intending to sell that product at that price. Then, when people show up to buy that product at that price, they are told it is no longer available, etc. But, the seller offers potential buyers a substitute product that is either more expensive or at the same price but an inferior quality.

A company that makes a product and before release changes some specs on that product is not at all the same. Arrow made an announcement and then due to overwhelming pre-orders at Amazon, etc. they decided to increase the production run to satisfy demand. Not to mention Arrow announced that the run would be increased due to demand.

There's nothing at all even remotely similar to what Arrow did and your classic bait-and-switch scenario.

I am not a whit interested in:

the 'limited edtion'-ness

I call BS on that. Nothing you've posted in the past four pages would suggest that you don't care about how limited the run is.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
However, I did wait until I knew it was region-free. That probably means that in my case, I probably benefited from the increase in production. So I pre-ordered it as soon as I knew that all the other specs about the set were right for me.
That was the same for me. In hindsight, I should have just pre-ordered it before a region free announcement was made and then have canceled it if it was going to be region locked, but I waited until the announcement. I'm sure I benefited from the increased run, so I have no problem with it. And even if I had pre-ordered it thinking it was limited to 5,000, I wouldn't care when it was upped to 10,000. In fact, I'm pretty sure when I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk it still said 'Special Edition'.
Old 12-22-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like others say it's about the movie any packaging or whatever is worthless; today or in the distant future. Enjoy the movie because in the end the packaging will just collect dust on your shelf and you will not give a shit about it after awhile. I have the LE tin and it's in a box full of other DVDs. Worthless. Seriously, there are better things to argue about.

I finally looked at the movies and to me it looks way better than either the NTSC or PAL cuts from Tartan. There seems to be a softness in some scenes but others are quite clear. A lot of the extras are taken from the LE tin release such as the trailers and what not. But overall I'm pretty much satisfied with it. I'm looking forward to what Anchor Bay will do with this but I doubt it will be any better. If your into extras and such, the comic and other extras will keep you occuppied for all of five minutes and I doubt you'll look at it twice. Still, for $20 bucks it's an awesome deal.

Last edited by mrhan; 12-22-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I love how people just throw out terms like 'bait-and-switch' without fully understanding what they mean.
I understand what the classic textbook terminology behind 'bait-and-switch' means, but the theory remains the same on a general level: luring the buyer in under one pretense, then switching the availability of the offerings later on. It's just an easier way to say it.
Old 12-22-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyway, that's not what Arrow was doing.
Old 12-22-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I wasn't referring to their making the discs; I was referring to their printing 'limited edition' numbers on them.
Then you need to learn what the phrase "whole selling point" means. Because you used it incorrectly.

Even the way I think you meant it is incorrect. The 3 selling points of the 5000 numbering was:

1) That this meant it was limited to a relatively small number of copies.
2) That each copy would have a unique printed number within the range of pressed copies.
3) That the specific number of copies was 5000.

So the specific number was only a part of the "limited edition" selling point, and not even the main part.

If I didn't want people to disagree with my opinion, I would've left long ago (or, more precisely, wouldn't have aired it). I was just attempting to correct his notion that I was 'complaining to complain'.
And I was correcting your mischaractarization of people disagreeing with you as being unreasonable and "enraged." The people who disagree with you have as much reasoning and emotion for posting their opinions as you do. That you can't see that seems to indicate you're not as for an open discussion as you feign to be.

I think I've been pretty clear, more than once, that while I don't personally care for or about the numbering, I do care that any customers who do care about it could be mislead and I don't care to see companies making these claims or failing to live up to them.
This is the problem though: you're not arguing for yourself, but for some hypothetical customer that doesn't apparently exist. This is where the "complaining to complain" argument comes in: if you weren't personally harmed by the change, and don't know of anyone who was (even an anonymous person who posted somewhere on the net), then why are you complaining?

Even if it's just for the "principle" of the matter, companies changing details on an item before it's release, it's been pointed out that this isn't a unique situation. It's happened before, regarding other selling points or features, and the majority of people here (i.e. everyone but you) is of the opinion that as long as it's announced well ahead of release, this isn't really an issue.
Old 12-22-10, 06:46 PM

Maybe they just weren't expecting the international consumer attention this UK exclusive release got. They found out quickly how big a scope the fan base really was.
It could have gone worse. Little reaction and they changed this title to an MOD.
Old 12-22-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
I wish they would up the number to 100,000 just to see this guy's head explode.
Originally Posted by doctorthodt
It's just one vocal weirdo.
I love the way you guys have all determined that I'm a flaming lunatic out on the picket lines about this, simply because I've actually responded to you all as you keep trying to throw stones at my opinion.

I would just like to remind you that I made one- count 'em, one comment about it and since then have been responding to assorted cries, explicit and implicit, of "Explain yourself, heretic!"
Old 12-22-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the way you guys have all determined that I'm a flaming lunatic out on the picket lines about this, simply because I've actually responded to you all as you keep trying to throw stones at my opinion.
I think the lunacy claims come from the fact that you so frequently and fervently argue about that you claim you care "not a whit" about.

I would just like to remind you that I made one- count 'em, one comment about it and since then have been responding to assorted cries, explicit and implicit, of "Explain yourself, heretic!"
You made one initial post, which people disagreed with. How many posts need to be made before someone's allowed to disagree with it? Also, if nobody disagreed with you, how many additional posts about it would you have made?

Since that initial post, however, you have repeatedly defended your position, in post after post. If you truly didn't care, you would've let the initial dissentions just stand without response, instead of replying to almost every post made since then.

Also, instead of trying to paint yourself as a martyr who's being "stoned" or branded a "heretic," how about responding to some of the more recent counter arguments? Either continue arguing the point or let it go.
Old 12-22-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then you need to learn what the phrase "whole selling point" means. Because you used it incorrectly.
I'm not aware of it being anyone's 'official' phrase with a singular and universal definition- it's a fragment of a sentence of my device.

Even the way I think you meant it is incorrect. The 3 selling points of the 5000 numbering was:

1) That this meant it was limited to a relatively small number of copies.
2) That each copy would have a unique printed number within the range of pressed copies.
3) That the specific number of copies was 5000.

So the specific number was only a part of the "limited edition" selling point, and not even the main part.
WHAT?! What are you on about? It doesn't matter if you call it all one idea, break it down into three as you have done here or break it down into 1,000 sub-points, my point remains.

And I was correcting your mischaractarization of people disagreeing with you as being unreasonable and "enraged." The people who disagree with you have as much reasoning and emotion for posting their opinions as you do. That you can't see that seems to indicate you're not as for an open discussion as you feign to be.
And which mischaracterization would that be? When did I call anyone else unreasonable and enraged?

Even if it's just for the "principle" of the matter
And, indeed, for me it is.

companies changing details on an item before it's release, it's been pointed out that this isn't a unique situation. It's happened before, regarding other selling points or features, and the majority of people here (i.e. everyone but you) is of the opinion that as long as it's announced well ahead of release, this isn't really an issue.
Ok. And you're more than welcome to feel that way about it. I disagree with you on the matter. Why you feel the need to keep hammering me on it because we disagree, I don't know, but for the record, I certainly have no expectation of either of us changing our minds.

Last edited by Doctorossi; 12-22-10 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and since then have been responding to assorted cries, explicit and implicit, of "Explain yourself, heretic!"
In all fairness, I was never interested in seeing you explain yourself, explicitly or implicitly.
Old 12-22-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not aware of it being anyone's 'official' phrase with a singular and universal definition- it's a fragment of a sentence of my device.
There's no "official" meanings or definitions for words or phrases in English, but there are commonly accepted definitions and meanings. The way you used it was not in a way that's used by anyone else. You can continue to use it incorrectly, but then expect to be continually misunderstood and corrected.

WHAT?! What are you on about? It doesn't matter if you call it all one idea, break it down into three as you have done here or break it down into 1,000 sub-points, my point remains.
It wouldn't matter, except you used the phrase "the whole selling point". So you were wrong about that aspect of your argument, on several levels.

And which mischaracterization would that be? When did I call anyone else unreasonable and enraged?
Here:
I did a small amount of complaining about something I felt justified to complain a small amount about and then proceeded to explain myself ad nauseum when a handful of people apparently got incensed that I stated my belief that a company should be held to their market claims.
You used the word "incensed", which is another word for enraged. And the rest of the sentence attempts to paint the reaction to your "small" comment as outsized. The part at the end about "a company should be held to their market claims" oversimplifies your argument to make it seem more reasonable, so that objectors would seem unreasonable.

I disagree with you on the matter. Why you feel the need to keep hammering me on it because we disagree, I don't know...
Because you keep replying with either new arguments, or new variations on your arguments. And just like you feel the need to keep "hammering" on about your opinion, I feel the need to point out the errors in your arguments.

Let me put it this way: I'll stop arguing about it when you do.
Old 12-22-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the lunacy claims come from the fact that you so frequently and fervently argue about that you claim you care "not a whit" about.
Dude- it's SOOOO simple and you've already figured it out; please don't feign ignorance. I'll lay it out again:

I don't PERSONALLY care about the numbering.

I don't like the false pretense on principle.

Pretty simple.

You made one initial post, which people disagreed with. How many posts need to be made before someone's allowed to disagree with it?
Drumroll... zero. Everyone is totally free to disagree with me all they want. Yay!

Also, if nobody disagreed with you, how many additional posts about it would you have made?
Drumroll... zero. As I've said more than once now, all my subsequent posts have been in response to people who have felt compelled to comment on my initial statement. They asked or implied questions and I answered. What's your point?

Since that initial post, however, you have repeatedly defended your position, in post after post. If you truly didn't care, you would've let the initial dissentions just stand without response, instead of replying to almost every post made since then.
Again, people asked and I answered.

And, again, see if you can separate these two things:

I DON'T care about the numbers as it relates to my own purchase of the product.

I DO care about the numbers as it relates to the principle of the matter and being sold to in a fair, honest and not irritating way.

Still pretty simple, I think.

Also, instead of trying to paint yourself as a martyr who's being "stoned" or branded a "heretic," how about responding to some of the more recent counter arguments?
Please don't paint me as someone trying to paint himself. Meanwhile, I'm not aware of any recent argument that is not also an older argument from the beginning of this discussion and already addressed multiple times. If you'll specify, I'll respond.
Old 12-22-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
In all fairness, I was never interested in seeing you explain yourself, explicitly or implicitly.
No, you're correct. I apologize if I unfairly lumped you in with everyone else. You seemed to make it clear from the beginning that you were only really interested in being snide and above it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.