Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Old 12-22-10, 09:39 PM
  #376  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 522
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Ok, it's time to break out the

It's just become far to entertaining to see someone who "doesn't care about the numbering" work themselves to a fever pitch and come off like Henry Rollins trying to talk politics with Sarah Palin.

Seriously, we get what you're trying to say, we're collectively telling you that we disagree. Why do you keep belaboring the point? Had SOMEONE come in and agreed, this could be a legitimately interesting discussion, but it hasn't happened and most likely isn't going to.

Now, can we get back to collectively bitching and moaning about how we don't have our copies yet?
Dexter Douglas is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 09:54 PM
  #377  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,777
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by mink-e View Post
Now, can we get back to collectively bitching and moaning about how we don't have our copies yet?
I don't have my copy yet and I fly out on vacation Friday morning
TomOpus is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 09:57 PM
  #378  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by mink-e View Post
It's just become far to entertaining to see someone who "doesn't care about the numbering" work themselves to a fever pitch and come off like Henry Rollins trying to talk politics with Sarah Palin.
I suppose it may look like that if you imagine my words coming from a Henry Rollins type, but that's one of the limitations of text conversation of this sort. I haven't worked myself to any kind of pitch. I said something, people responded with their own takes on it and I've rebutted. No lather, just plenty of rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by mink-e View Post
Why do you keep belaboring the point?
Hey- that's my question!

Originally Posted by mink-e View Post
Now, can we get back to collectively bitching and moaning about how we don't have our copies yet?
Did someone stop you? Other than yourself, I mean.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 09:57 PM
  #379  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I don't have my copy yet and I fly out on vacation Friday morning
I didn't get mine, either.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 10:07 PM
  #380  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

i'm still waiting on a confirmation of when Doctorossi ordered his copy.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 10:18 PM
  #381  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
i'm still waiting on a confirmation of when Doctorossi ordered his copy.
You are? Why?
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 10:58 PM
  #382  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,507
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Drumroll... zero. As I've said more than once now, all my subsequent posts have been in response to people who have felt compelled to comment on my initial statement. They asked or implied questions and I answered. What's your point?
Just poking holes in your "playing the victim" routine. You emphasized that you had made one post stating your opinion, and everyone jumped on that post, and all your subsequent posts.

My point was that arguing pointing out the number of initial posts you made before people responded is silly and pointless. That first post was responded to specifically because it was the post that started the argument. As you pointed out, people have the right to respond to an opinion, regardless of how many posts were made about it. And as you point out, if people hadn't responded to that one post, you likely wouldn't have posted any more about it, so it's silly to argue that responding to the initial post is somehow unreasonable.

I DON'T care about the numbers as it relates to my own purchase of the product.

I DO care about the numbers as it relates to the principle of the matter and being sold to in a fair, honest and not irritating way.
So you admit to being irritated by it? Because nobody else has been irritated by it.

Nobody else has felt it was dishonest either, since the change was announced well in advance of release. Everyone else seems to think it was fair too, since the increase in supply was due to a larger-than-expected demand, which allowed everyone who pre-ordered, as well a few of those who just happen upon it in a store now, to get a copy.

Meanwhile, I'm not aware of any recent argument that is not also an older argument from the beginning of this discussion and already addressed multiple times. If you'll specify, I'll respond.
Well, I've pointed out numerous times that the specific features for video releases often change between initial announcement and eventual release. However, you seemed to have reserved your ire for one specific change, which was the press run. You have yet to satisfactorily explain this incongruity.

When a company has changed any other feature on a video release before, have you ever called them dishonest, or railed about it like you have here?

If not, what is it about this specific change that has sparked this? Why do you feel this change is special, as apposed to something like missing special features, missing audio tracks, changes in aspect ratio, etc?
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 10:58 PM
  #383  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,507
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
i'm still waiting on a confirmation of when Doctorossi ordered his copy.
You are? Why?
You've argued that you ordered before the change was made. As the change was made within the first six days of the pre-order announcement, this seems unlikely. Thus, the desire for you to confirm the date, since it's more likely you ordered after the number was changed, you just didn't know it.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 11:08 PM
  #384  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,529
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Hello,

We're contacting you regarding your Amazon.co.uk order # XXXXXXX

As a result of weather conditions throughout the UK, our carriers are experiencing delays delivering orders. Because of the resulting backlog, the delivery of your order may take longer than expected. We are working around the clock to get it to you for Christmas.

If you have already taken delivery of your order, there is no need to take action.

If your order has not yet arrived and you don't want to wait for delivery, you may choose to receive a full refund now. To request a refund to your payment card please follow the instructions below. This refund should go through within the next few days and will appear as a credit on your next card statement.

If you prefer to continue to wait for your delivery, you don't need to do anything at this point. You'll still have the option of requesting a refund at a later date.

We are continuing to work with our carriers to get all orders delivered in time.
Old news, but still a bummer.
gryffinmaster is online now  
Old 12-22-10, 11:29 PM
  #385  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Macon, MO
Posts: 880
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Haven't received mine either. Good to know I'm not alone.....if I have to suffer with an empty mailbox every day, then damnit, you all should as well.
The Reaper is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 11:47 PM
  #386  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Just poking holes in your "playing the victim" routine.
Victim of what? No one is bothering me.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
You emphasized that you had made one post stating your opinion, and everyone jumped on that post, and all your subsequent posts.
It is a matter of public record, you know. You can go back through the thread and see what I was talking about.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
My point was that arguing pointing out the number of initial posts you made before people responded is silly and pointless.
I only mentioned it because people kept making comments to the effect that I was complaining on and on. I just wanted to point out the fact that I complained once and then defended my complaint when people asked me to clarify my position. Does it not seem reasonable to you to want to correct assertions that I'm complaining and complaining?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
So you admit to being irritated by it? Because nobody else has been irritated by it.
From the first page of this discussion! Maybe if you read my posts, you wouldn't have so many questions about them.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Well, I've pointed out numerous times that the specific features for video releases often change between initial announcement and eventual release. However, you seemed to have reserved your ire for one specific change, which was the press run. You have yet to satisfactorily explain this incongruity.
Well, not for lack of giving an explanation. What explanation would actually satisfy you, I may never know. As I have said, other 'specs', for the most part, tend to be just that: specifications- qualities, aspects and factual circumstances of the content contained in the release. On the other hand, the reason to say "limited release of 5,000" is to suggest scarcity and thus attempt to drive sales; it's a marketing bullet point. When the company goes out of their way to tell you how rarified something is, I think it ought to actually be that rarified.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
When a company has changed any other feature on a video release before, have you ever called them dishonest, or railed about it like you have here?
Dude, where have I railed?! I said it sucks and then answered a bunch of questions about why I feel that way and told a bunch of people that keep claiming I'm pissed off that I'm actually not. Trust me, you'll know when I'm ready to rail.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-22-10, 11:55 PM
  #387  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
You've argued that you ordered before the change was made. As the change was made within the first six days of the pre-order announcement, this seems unlikely. Thus, the desire for you to confirm the date, since it's more likely you ordered after the number was changed, you just didn't know it.
Well, first of all, I've said numerous times, that I'm not interested in the numbers as they relate to my own copy of the set, I object to this move on principle, so I don't see how my order matters. However, to humor you, I ordered on October 15th. Again, if you will look back through this very thread, as you seem loath to do, you will see my post on October 20th, wherein I refer to my existing pre-order.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 12:16 AM
  #388  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

When you order matters because if you ordered after they made the announcement of upping the run to 10,000 you can't really claim any false advertising or that they changed it on you after you ordered.

So basically, you don't care about the numbers, but you do care when they change the numbers that you don't care about.

Yeah...I'm not buying it.

Personally, I'm glad Arrow upped the numbers. They clearly underestimated the demand for the product and they responded by making sure fans of the movie could get a copy.
kstublen is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 01:26 AM
  #389  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
When you order matters because if you ordered after they made the announcement of upping the run to 10,000 you can't really claim any false advertising or that they changed it on you after you ordered.
It doesn't matter when I ordered because when I ordered has nothing to do with the question of whether anyone ordered before they changed the numbers. That's the only question that's relevant to my opinion (my opinion being the one that people keep challenging). The answer to that question is yes.

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
So basically, you don't care about the numbers, but you do care when they change the numbers that you don't care about.
How's your reading comprehension? It's a very simple and common distinction and I've explained it more than once in third-grader-compatible language. It's called objecting to something on principle.

Maybe another example might help. Suppose a politician makes an announcement on the campaign trail. "If I'm elected and anyone with a third arm enters my office, I will shoot them on sight."

Now, I don't have a third arm and I'm pretty sure you don't have a third arm and, for all I know, there may be no single human on Earth with a birth defect or whatever circumstance may have given them a third arm. Even though it doesn't impact me directly, I still think it's a crappy attitude and a terrible thing to say and it makes me want to not vote for the guy.

Get it?

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Yeah...I'm not buying it.
Uh... neat-o?

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Personally, I'm glad Arrow upped the numbers. They clearly underestimated the demand for the product and they responded by making sure fans of the movie could get a copy.
I'm glad that the bottom-line is more copies available, as well. I just wish they hadn't attempted the whole numbered edition jazz in the first place and simply made (roughly) as many copies as the order pace suggested.

Last edited by Doctorossi; 12-23-10 at 01:38 AM.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 01:51 AM
  #390  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 251
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

As for the issue of the Limited Edition numbering...


I don't really care how many limited editions are out there.

What I care about, is how low of a number I get.

I only have two limited edition sets (40/4000 on IM2 BD, and 811 or 812/11,111 of Cannibal Holocaust DVD).

I could care less if there's 100 copies or 100,000 copies, it's the # to me.
TerryAlexFan is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 02:05 AM
  #391  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,716
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Change "some people are" to "some guy is" and I think you've pretty much got it nailed.



One man's useless crap is another man's justified concern. It's ok, though- I stopped complaining about it immediately after I started.
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Nope. I just wanted them to do what they said they were going to do before I handed them my money to do it. Crazy me!
Did you though?
SethDLH is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 02:12 AM
  #392  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
It doesn't matter when I ordered because when I ordered has nothing to do with the question of whether anyone ordered before they changed the numbers. That's the only question that's relevant to my opinion (my opinion being the one that people keep challenging). The answer to that question is yes.
It actually does matter because you're saying that they used the 5,000 Limited Edition to entice consumers in general. No one in this thread seems to have based their decision on the Limited Edition of 5,000 and yet you maintain that there are people out there who did. If you


Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
How's your reading comprehension? It's a very simple and common distinction and I've explained it more than once in third-grader-compatible language. It's called objecting to something on principle.
My reading comprehension is fine, but it seems you could work on yours.

Let me break it down for you:

You have said in this thread that you don't care about the numbers in and of themselves, but you do care that they changed the numbers. You claim it is a matter of principle and when they say they are only going to release 5,000 and people place their orders and then change it to 10,000 they've effectively duped some consumers into thinking what they were going to get was more limited than what they will actually end up getting.

So when I said "You don't care about the numbers, but you do care when they change the numbers that you don't care about" I actually was capturing your overall point pretty well. And based on my follow-up of "I'm not buying it" I think it was perfectly clear that I get exactly what you're saying and I just don't believe you are being entirely forthright.

So do me a favor...next time, before you criticize someone else's ability to comprehend what they've read, actually take the time to read what they've wrote and comprehend it yourself.

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Uh... neat-o?
You can say all you want that you're objecting to this on principle, but that doesn't mean I, or anyone else, have to believe you.

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I'm glad that the bottom-line is more copies available, as well. I just wish they hadn't attempted the whole numbered edition jazz in the first place and simply made (roughly) as many copies as the order pace suggested.
I see nothing wrong with what they've done. The fact is, this set is still limited. This set appears to include a 'certificate of authenticity' and most of the things I have (movies, music, artwork, etc.) with certificates of authenticity include the total production run. It was reasonable for them to specify how many there were.
kstublen is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 02:36 AM
  #393  
Senior Member
 
TheDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 930
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Bro, you know what you need to do? First, you need to calm the fuck down. Second: do you have a computer with a printer? Do you have Microsoft Word or anything like that? Here is what you do: go in to Microsoft Word, type in a number between 1 and 5000, then put a "/" and put "5000", now print it out and paste it on your set! You know why? Because limited edition numbers are fucking numbers. They are little symbols on a piece of paper made up of ink that indicate a value. That is all. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself:

Because these symbols on a piece of paper have been changed slighting, is this Blu Ray release...

Costing me more money?
Diminishing my enjoyment of the content on the discs?
Diminishing my appreciation of the artwork on the release, besides these symbols on a piece of paper?
Inconveniencing me in any way?

If you answered YES to any of these questions then just don't buy the set. It's that easy. I read most of what you had to say, and for some reason the way you present your argument is that this is some conspiracy and that Arrow had planned to increase the numbers all along! That isn't how it works. All that's going on here is that some numbers on a page are different by one decimal place. Deal with it.
TheDuke is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 05:12 AM
  #394  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

I bought it because I didn't have the directors cut, I had the very standard dvd. Nothing to do with Limited Edition or numbering.
jane lane is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 08:02 AM
  #395  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Bro, you know what you need to do? First, you need to calm the fuck down.
Another one for the album!

Thank you, guys, for the fascinating experience. It's such an intriguing phenomenon to me to witness how many people imagine me all bent out of shape because I posted an unpopular opinion and then proceeded to answer folks' questions about it.

I'm not trying to perform a social experiment, but I've ended up with the product of one.

I said something no one agrees with and then, rather than disappearing from the thread, I fielded the questions I received in response. Not once have I been anything but calm about it and it's all there in black and white for anyone to see.

I can only guess that a number of people must have come in halfway through the discussion, saw my name in every other post because I was responding to three or four people at a time and just thought "Well, clearly this guy doesn't know how to shut up". The possibility probably never even occurred to them that I might be simply answering questions and comments put to me and nothing else. Perhaps because most sane people just wouldn't have the patience and inclination to do so.

I'm so curious now, if I continue to answer people's questions, how many more will jump in and talk about what a raving, incoherent madman who can't let anything go and loves the sound of his own voice I am. How far can I go? Mel Gibson, look out- I'm gunning for your rep!
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 09:26 AM
  #396  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Well, first of all, I've said numerous times, that I'm not interested in the numbers as they relate to my own copy of the set, I object to this move on principle, so I don't see how my order matters. However, to humor you, I ordered on October 15th. Again, if you will look back through this very thread, as you seem loath to do, you will see my post on October 20th, wherein I refer to my existing pre-order.
OK, so you ordered it before the numbering announcement was made. This makes your ranting all the more insane.
zombeaner is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 09:30 AM
  #397  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,128
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Also, by the way, I was checking in with Arrow Video this morning for other reasons and they have confirmed that the LE is sold out. They tell me that they have the last few copies in their office, and very VERY soon, they'll be out. It is much more expensive through Arrow, but it may be your only option within a matter of days. The special non-limited edition is due out in February.
zombeaner is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 09:41 AM
  #398  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
OK, so you ordered it before the numbering announcement was made. This makes your ranting all the more insane.
Can you go back to asking me if I'm motivated by post count? You've repeated this bit about my invisible insane rantings a bunch of times now and it's getting dull. Or maybe you can go back to the one about how you're on the verge of doing something that will get you banned from the site- that one's a nice alternative to my copious insane ranting.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 09:42 AM
  #399  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
The special non-limited edition is due out in February.
Not to be confused with the non-special limited edition!
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 12-23-10, 09:43 AM
  #400  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,507
Re: Battle Royale (Arrow Releasing)--October 2010?

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
OK, so you ordered it before the numbering announcement was made. This makes your ranting all the more insane.
I thought so too, at first, but after a little research, it turns out the the numbering was announced at least 2 days earlier than previously thought.

From a post you made Oct 15:
Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
Note that the article is dated Oct 14, 2010. There may be a time-zone issue in play with the dates, but Doctorossi definitely ordered right around when the numbering was announced.

Note that he did preorder before specs were announced, such as how many discs or what the special features would be, which were announced on October 20th.

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
The special non-limited edition is due out in February.
OMG, Doctorossi's head is going to explode.
Jay G. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.