Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 8 Graphic Novel ---> BD + DVD Combo

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No date yet...

But it appears sometime in October/November.

Old 07-25-10, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 8 Graphic Novel ---> BD + DVD Combo

Cool, now we can have Buffy and her female friends voiced like men... :P

fitprod
Old 07-25-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fitprod
Cool, now we can have Buffy and her female friends voiced like men... :P

fitprod
Ummm how do you figure? there is a full voice over cast for this, including
Kelly Allbanese, and Natalie Lander. along with other women and men voiceing other characters. true they arent useing any big voice over names, but neither one of them sound like men.
Old 07-25-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No date yet...

But it appears sometime in October/November.

Pre ordered this for myself the other day when it first went on amazon, cant wait to see it.
Old 07-25-10, 02:59 PM
Suspended

I pre-ordered as well.
Old 07-25-10, 03:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

is it a motion comic?
Old 07-25-10, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by scott1598
is it a motion comic?
Yeah. Kind of like the Watchmen ones I suppose. I've never seen one before.
Old 07-25-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give everyone a heads up, it'll only consist of the first 19 issues of the 35 issue run. The issues will actually be released on a weekly basis every week on iTunes and Amazon On Demand (the first issue just came out the other day) with the BD/DVD release having all 19 right on the set off the bat.

Each issue runs 10-15 minutes in length, so the running time of this release should be around 3-3.5 hours of Buffy goodness.

I'm assuming if this does well, we will get a second release with issues 20 - 35, but we will see.

Based upon the preview I watched on iTunes, this looks like a better use of the "motion comic" concept than Watchmen.
Old 07-25-10, 03:39 PM
Suspended

So S8 is only 35 issues? Did they do a S9 (or will they)?
Old 07-25-10, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Ummm how do you figure? there is a full voice over cast for this, including
Kelly Allbanese, and Natalie Lander. along with other women and men voiceing other characters. true they arent useing any big voice over names, but neither one of them sound like men.
Sorry... Bad flashback to Watchmen, where WB made such efforts!

fitprod
Old 07-25-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For big-time Buffy fans the comic is excellent (although if you haven't read it, I guess your not really a big Buffy fan), the scale of the story is about a thousand times larger than the TV show & it goes into some very strange directions. I'm not sure I'd buy a motion comic though, I can't really see myself ever sitting to down to watch this.
Old 07-25-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
For big-time Buffy fans the comic is excellent (although if you haven't read it, I guess your not really a big Buffy fan), the scale of the story is about a thousand times larger than the TV show & it goes into some very strange directions. I'm not sure I'd buy a motion comic though, I can't really see myself ever sitting to down to watch this.
Or you're like me, a fan but not a comic book reader.

This appeals to me because I'd rather watch something like this come to life rather than reading a comic, which I've never been able to enjoy doing no matter what the comic is about.

I hope they'll do one for "ANGEL season 6" so I can see that as well - again haven't read it and ANGEL was and is my all-time favorite show.
Old 07-25-10, 06:44 PM
Suspended

I tried to get into S8 in Comic form but I just couldn't stand not knowing when a new issue was coming out or even where to buy them (I think I have the first three or four). I've read some on my iPad, but I'll just wait for this.
Old 07-25-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to get into S8 in Comic form but I just couldn't stand not knowing when a new issue was coming out or even where to buy them (I think I have the first three or four). I've read some on my iPad, but I'll just wait for this.
That's why you just wait for the trade paperbacks! I've been ordering each volume as they're released and have enjoyed them immensely. Loved being able to revisit the characters in a different medium with a much bigger and more extended story.

EDIT: Just checked out the trailer and a preview of the first issue on iTunes and I'm pretty impressed. Definitely looks to make better use of the medium than Watchmen did. I trust Joss Whedon & Co. to give us a quality product. Glad to see they'll have different people voicing different characters. I really just wish they would release the entire Season 8 as one set rather than splitting it in half, but that's a minor complaint at this point. I just read an article that says it's coming out January 2011, but that seems way too far away... Either way, I'll be checking for this and look forward to seeing the stuff I read come to life, so to speak.

Last edited by kstublen; 07-25-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still need to finish watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer before I can read the comics... but it hasn't stopped me from collecting the compilation comic-book's as the come out for some reason. Maybe because I'm weird? In any case, I don't really like the idea of motion comics, but AFTER reading Season 8 I may netflix this just to see what it plays like.
Old 07-25-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

So S8 is only 35 issues? Did they do a S9 (or will they)?
Issue 35 was the last one released, but the whole season eight project will go up to issue #40, which will be released in January. There are also a handful of other comics that tie into season eight, like a Willow one-shot, a "Tales of the Vampires" one-shot, and an upcoming Riley one-shot. There have also been a couple of shorts that appeared on Dark Horse's Myspace page.

And, yes, a season nine is planned; probably debuting next summer.
Old 07-26-10, 05:15 AM

I bought all 7 seasons of Buffy and then sold them so I could buy the complete series boxset. I did purchase the prequel comics (that retold the story from the movie, just not as cheesy). I would say I'm a fan of Buffy, but by the time the comics came out, I didn't have the money to spare on purchasing them. Plus some of the stuff I was reading about them made me wonder if I would even like them, anyway. I'm not sure if I like the direction they went with it.
Old 07-26-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

For big-time Buffy fans the comic is excellent (although if you haven't read it, I guess your not really a big Buffy fan), the scale of the story is about a thousand times larger than the TV show & it goes into some very strange directions.
I don't know. I gave up after a handful of issues. What I read was just kind of cheesy and stupid. Giant Dawn, really?

I feel like the TV show ended perfectly right when it did. The comic just seemed like a lame attempt at a cash-in.

But then, I'm not much of a comic book reader to begin with.
Old 07-26-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't know. I gave up after a handful of issues. What I read was just kind of cheesy and stupid. Giant Dawn, really?

I feel like the TV show ended perfectly right when it did. The comic just seemed like a lame attempt at a cash-in.

But then, I'm not much of a comic book reader to begin with.
Giant Dawn, Nick Fury Xander, and team Buffy jumping out of helicopters killed it for me as well.

Angel After the Fall wasnt perfect, but it was better.
Old 07-26-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I liked the over-the-top absurdity of it & the insane ideas that could never be done on a TV show, plus the issue that was what the animated series would have been was worth it alone. The overly annoying amped up Whedon-esque dialogue did get annoying though.
Old 07-26-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the comics and will get this. The Buffy comic is what got me into a comic store for the first time in over a decade - and I've now got a huge collection going with many ongoing series that I now read - so this comic sure started something for me. I think it took a few issues to pick up steam but then it really just felt like an extension of the series, with the dialogue playing really well IMO. It's not perfect but it's better than no Buffy at all.
Old 07-26-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have loved "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" since the day that the 10 year old me found out that there was going to be to a TV series, and I watched every single episode from the pilot to the finale back before the days of TiVo. I still have the VHS tapes that I used to record the series from 1997 until 2003, despite having purchased the DVDs years and years ago (it was the reason I bought a DVD player in the first place).

Having said that I've read the first 5 or 6 comics but stopped because of money and time issues, but now I'm waiting with baited breath for the Blu-ray to come out - especially after the rumors that Joss Whedon through in his "The Avengers" contract for a real feature film continuation. But even if that doesn't happen I'm just excited to see the gang on my TV one more time, I even have friends from college (which happend after buffy) planning a visit to watch the blu-ray on release weekend!
Old 08-01-10, 08:11 PM

A scene from "Wolves at the Gate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aq-C...ayer_embedded#!
Old 08-01-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anybody else find this motion comic thing to be completely lazy and absurd? People need to have their comics read to them now with pictures that move! What happened to just reading the damn thing yourself the way it was meant to experienced? Society is getting dumber every day.
Old 08-01-10, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Does anybody else find this motion comic thing to be completely lazy and absurd? People need to have their comics read to them now with pictures that move! What happened to just reading the damn thing yourself the way it was meant to experienced? Society is getting dumber every day.
Yeah! Same with movies, those lazy asses should just read the script!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.