Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Return of the Living Dead" BD 9/14

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"The Return of the Living Dead" BD 9/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "The Return of the Living Dead" BD 9/14

I guess I feel the difference is, the director changed the two lines, not necessarily the songs. I guess my understanding was there was an attempt to get all the songs and substitutions had to be made, which I'm okay with -- I'm more talking about that than the director choosing to change lines, which is a totally understandable complaint.

Someday, I hope I'll see it in 35mm and then I'll know what the original was like.
Old 07-06-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I guess I feel the difference is, the director changed the two lines, not necessarily the songs. I guess my understanding was there was an attempt to get all the songs and substitutions had to be made, which I'm okay with -- I'm more talking about that than the director choosing to change lines, which is a totally understandable complaint.

Someday, I hope I'll see it in 35mm and then I'll know what the original was like.

There were no rights issues with the music besides one song. So that's not the reason the other songs were changed in the film. The one replaced song was 'Dead Beat Dance' by The Damned which is playing when the gang is cruising down the street. However that change has existed since home video, though supposedly the earliest vhs release included the song(I do recall seeing the film with that song intact originally). However that song was mostly in the background of the scene, so I almost didn't notice it was gone until paying attention and some other punk rock song is used instead. The opening of the song which begins with the laughter however is still intact on the video and dvd releases and I'm glad that's intact. Since again the way it's edited together where you hear the laughter, then abrupt cut to the gang cruising down the street is just perfect. It wouldn't be the same if that bit were missing.

The other songs used in the film are still in the film, however the director tinkered with it all and did some sloppy editing removing most of the songs or fading them out faster and drastically lowering the volume level into the background that they lack punch now. "Take A Walk" by the Tall Boys is completely missing except for the badly looped intro to the song used as the gang runs out of the warehouse. The song may have well just been removed entirely since the way the music is briefly added to the scene doesn't fit at all. Whereas the original version with the song playing over the entire scene and begins right at the abrupt cut with Freddy yelling "What are you saying?" was beautifully edited together as it fit the lyrics and tone perfectly.

I don't think the director understood how well the music as it was in the original version added to the film. And his sloppy alterations make it even more obvious that the producers in this case were right in how they mixed the film originally. At the very least,the original mix should have been offered along side the altered mix. Then their would be no issues from me at all with the release.
Old 07-06-11, 01:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think I've ever paid that much attention to music in a horror movie. I've seen the movie a bunch of times and haven't noticed anything different between the DVD and the BD (or were they the same?).
Old 07-06-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original HBO Thorne (I think) video had the Damned song (I have it and made a DVD-R rip of it) the first time it was replaced that I noticed was in the first DVD release. It was replaced with a song called "Young, Fast Iranians" by a Boston punk rock band called the FUs (same song was later re-recorded by the band after they changed their name to the Straw Dogs, but I believe this is the FUs version), not quite sure why they changed it. The album came out on Enigma, just like the ROTLD soundtrack, and is from the same time period as the movie, but it is an odd change.

I believe O'Bannon did not like the wall to wall punk rock music that got put on the movie after his hands were off it, so it makes sense he would minimize it when given the chance. I remember reading an interview with him where he specifically went on about how much he hated the inclusion of 45 Grave's "Do You Want to Party" when the first skeleton zombie rises from the grave. It does add a weird/humorous tone to the scene, so i could see him not being into that.
Old 07-06-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I don't think I've ever paid that much attention to music in a horror movie. I've seen the movie a bunch of times and haven't noticed anything different between the DVD and the BD (or were they the same?).
Same audio mix on both.
Old 07-07-11, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
The original HBO Thorne (I think) video had the Damned song (I have it and made a DVD-R rip of it) the first time it was replaced that I noticed was in the first DVD release.

I have the 1989 Image laserdisc and The Damned song is not on it. So it was replaced sometime after the initial home video release. If I can find the original vhs release for a decent price, I may pick it up eventually. But the laserdisc with the one replaced song I hardly noticed is a decent option for me over the dvd/br releases.
Old 01-15-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I have the 1989 Image laserdisc and The Damned song is not on it. So it was replaced sometime after the initial home video release. If I can find the original vhs release for a decent price, I may pick it up eventually. But the laserdisc with the one replaced song I hardly noticed is a decent option for me over the dvd/br releases.
Eight Bucks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Old 04-05-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the upcoming UK steelbook from Second Sight will include the original soundtrack as an audio option:

The dead have risen and they need more ‘BRAINS’! Dan O’Bannon’s cult splatterfest The Return Of The Living Dead is one of the definitive zombie movies and one of the classic horror films of the 80s.

Now this horror favourite is being released on 4 June 2012 courtesy of Second Sight as a special edition double DVD and makes its UK Blu-ray debut in a limited edition Steelbook, both with five hours of special features and also the much anticipated inclusion of the original soundtrack as well as the remixed version.

Blundering medical supplies warehouse workers Frank and his young trainee Freddy unwittingly set off a mysterious US military chemical that brings the dead back to life. And they’ve got a real hunger for human brains. Enlisting the help of a local crematorium, they
set off a chain of events that could lead to the end of civilisation. Can they defeat the growing army of ravenous zombies? ‘How do you kill something that’s already dead’ It’s not a bad question Bert.

Complete with a raucous rock soundtrack by the inimitable The Cramps, The Return Of The Living Dead is a zombie gorefest at its best.

Special features:
• MORE BRAINS! A RETURN TO THE LIVING DEAD
The definitive two-hour documentary featuring interviews with cast, writers, producers and many more, as well as previously unseen behind the scenes footage, storyboards, conceptual art, publicity materials and archival documents
• MORE BRAINS! TWO HOURS OF KILLER BONUS FEATURES
A conversation with Dan O’Bannon: The Final Interview
They Won’t Stay Dead: A Look at Return of The Living Dead Part 2
A Love Beyond The Grave: A Look at Return of The Living Dead 3
Stacey Q Live: Exclusive ‘Tonight’ music video
Even More Brains: Deleted documentary interview
Return of The Living Dead in three minutes
Resurrected Settings: The Filming Locations Today
• THE ORIGINS OF RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD – with John A. Russo
• THE FX OF THE LIVING DEAD – with production designer William Stout and FX make-up artists William Munns and Tony Gardner
• PARTY TIME – with music consultant Steve Pross and 45 Grave singer Dinah Cancer
• EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY STEELBOOK – ‘ERNIE’S NOTEPAD’ – 20-page
replica notebook by embalmer Ernie Kaltenbrunner, featuring production notes, carting information and exclusive artwork

Title: The Return Of The Living Dead
Release Date: 4 June 2012 Cert: 15
Running time: 90 mins Language: English
RRP: DVD £19.99 Blu-ray: £ 22.99
Cat. No.: 2NDVD3228 Blu-ray: 2NDBR4006

Soundtrack information:
Blu-Ray
Original Soundtrack: PCM 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack PCM 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack: DTS 5.1 Digital Surround
DVD
Original Soundtrack: Dolby Digital 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack Dolby Digital 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack: Dolby Digital Surround 5.1
An option to play the original soundtrack
I may order this for the excellent Brains doc in HD, the original soundtrack, and the new extras, and stick the MGM disc in an envelope inside the steelbook packaging. The pre-order is only £11.99 before VAT on Amazon.
Old 04-05-12, 09:48 AM

Wow that Second Sight release looks amazing. Is that all region? I couldn't find that bit of info on their website.
Old 04-05-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Region B. Sweet cover too:

The price is actually £10.99 before VAT is removed and shipping added, which works out to $17.42. Not bad at all.
Old 04-05-12, 10:06 AM

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to invest in an all-region player.
Old 04-05-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
I paid $79 for my Insignia, and get a lot of mileage out of it - The Howling, They Live, The Innocents, Ozu, the upcoming Hammer catalog, MoC titles, etc.
Old 04-05-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Region B, that sucks.

I wouldn't call them blundering workers. Everyone makes mistakes at their job and how were they supposed to know the government was dumb enough to store stuff like that?
Old 04-05-12, 11:58 AM

With the news of the original audio + the More Brains doc I went ahead and placed my pre-order.
Old 04-05-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
It looks like the upcoming UK steelbook from Second Sight will include the original soundtrack as an audio option
Old 04-05-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Just sold off my More Brains DVD in preparation for getting this UK BD!
Old 04-06-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Region B?

Old 04-08-12, 12:57 AM

Wow, I'm impressed. I wonder if MGM will get in on this for the US.
Old 04-08-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no PAL speedup issues with blu-rays, correct? Since I use an HTPC, I may jump on this.
Old 04-09-12, 09:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow, this looks awesome.
Old 04-09-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grrrr. Cheapest region free blu player, anyone?
Old 04-11-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-order for the UK steelbook placed!
Old 05-11-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turns out my insiginia player can easily swap back and forth. Bought! Maybe they will surprise us and it'll region free after all. The second sight webpage doesn't mention a region(zone...whatever)
Old 05-11-12, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Turns out my insiginia player can easily swap back and forth. Bought! Maybe they will surprise us and it'll region free after all. The second sight webpage doesn't mention a region(zone...whatever)

I contacted Second Sight about it and they told me Region B.
Old 05-11-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lame! But at least I'm covered...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.