DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lionsgate halloween horrror Blu-Ray announcements (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/576749-lionsgate-halloween-horrror-blu-ray-announcements.html)

doctorthodt 08-29-10 08:32 PM

Re: Lionsgate halloween horrror Blu-Ray announcements

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10345238)
Blair Witch is supposed to look like shit. It's intended.

I said exactly that in the post you quoted....

Gizmo 08-29-10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10345325)
I said exactly that in the post you quoted....

I know. Just stating what the 15 year old demographic will say when they watch it for the first time. Kinda like the hate with 28 Days Later.

dullboy 08-30-10 09:03 AM

I'm happy with this High Tension BD. The transfer looks as good as it can (definitely better than those screenshots of the UK BD), has 7.1 lossless audio for the original French track, it's the uncut version and it carries over all the extras. As far as the dubtitles go, I never saw it in the theater, but I had the UK dvd that was a released a year before US theaters, and I didn't notice any drastic change in dialog tone. It's not like the Magnolia/Let The Right One In fiasco where the dialog was important to the feel of the film, and they went with some cheesy/cheap-ass translation. For $7.99, this is a keeper if you enjoy the film.

riotinmyskull 08-30-10 06:00 PM

blu-ray.com review of HARD CANDY: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hard-C...y/8312/#Review

Sessa17 08-30-10 06:03 PM

Yeah, I have no problems with the High Tension Blu-Ray either. Subtitles were fine by me & the audio was booming. A great Blu-Ray for $7.99 IMO.

Daytripper 08-30-10 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 10347004)
Yeah, I have no problems with the High Tension Blu-Ray either. Subtitles were fine by me & the audio was booming. A great Blu-Ray for $7.99 IMO.

I think the "High Tension" BD is fantastic. I don't know why I thought the PQ would be just o.k., but it's amazing. A 4.5/5.0 rating from me, maybe higher. Very very happy with this release.

OldBoy 08-31-10 02:37 PM

what exactly does 'Dubbed Subtitle' mean and is the original French track with English subs not an option on the High Tension BD?

Bob_Bobbson 08-31-10 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10348561)
what exactly does 'Dubbed Subtitle' mean and is the original French track with English subs not an option on the High Tension BD?

It is an option. However, with most films, there are tweaks to dialog and other things done for a dub track, to make the dialog fit closer with the mouth movements of the actors. A 'Dub-title' subtitle track is when the subtitles are basically just a transcript of the dub, instead of an actual translation of the original foreign language dialog.

The thing with High Tension is that Lionsgate did something strange with their theatrical dub for the US. They dubbed a few characters and subtitled the rest. They re-wrote the story slightly to make it so both main characters weren't french, one was actually an american visiting her friend in France.

This coupled with the dubtitles means that when you watch it with the original language track and subtitles there are still these refrences in the subtitle track.

Not a huge deal in my opinion, but it does bug me a little that it's like that.

OldBoy 08-31-10 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10348606)
It is an option. However, with most films, there are tweaks to dialog and other things done for a dub track, to make the dialog fit closer with the mouth movements of the actors. A 'Dub-title' subtitle track is when the subtitles are basically just a transcript of the dub, instead of an actual translation of the original foreign language dialog.

The thing with High Tension is that Lionsgate did something strange with their theatrical dub for the US. They dubbed a few characters and subtitled the rest. They re-wrote the story slightly to make it so both main characters weren't french, one was actually an american visiting her friend in France.

This coupled with the dubtitles means that when you watch it with the original language track and subtitles there are still these refrences in the subtitle track.

Not a huge deal in my opinion, but it does bug me a little that it's like that.

ok, thanks. but the original ALL French track (all characters speak French) is there with English subs on the Unrated cut, correct? and i don't have to use the dub track in anyway shape or form if i don't want to?

Bob_Bobbson 08-31-10 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10348677)
ok, thanks. but the original ALL French track (all characters speak French) is there with English subs on the Unrated cut, correct? and i don't have to use the dub track in anyway shape or form if i don't want to?

Yes, you can listen to the all french audio. Like I said though, the only English subtitle track on the disc are the ones that are basically a written version of the dub.

gryffinmaster 08-31-10 03:51 PM

Visual aid!

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg199/sca...=640&ysize=640

Ended up with the two I mentioned earlier in the thread, plus I went ahead and coughed up the cash for The Blair Witch Project as an HD curiosity. Oddly, as reported in the Best Buy thread in the Blu-ray Bargains section, none of these actually scanned into the computer. The cashier entered the SKU information, which brought up the sale prices ($7.99 and $9.99).

OldBoy 08-31-10 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10348716)
Yes, you can listen to the all french audio. Like I said though, the only English subtitle track on the disc are the ones that are basically a written version of the dub.

i gotcha. thanks. and the audio track is 7.1 DTS?

Bob_Bobbson 08-31-10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10348756)
i gotcha. thanks. and the audio track is 7.1 DTS?

French track is 7.1 DTS, the English dub is only 5.1 DTS.

OldBoy 08-31-10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10348778)
French track is 7.1 DTS.

perfect.

tylergfoster 08-31-10 04:28 PM

I guess I read that explanation of dubtitles and didn't feel it was as clear as it could have been. An example:

Say a character in a foreign film says "This is wonderful news!" A correct translation would be "This is wonderful news!" but when they dub the movie the voice-over actor says "Hey, that's great!" instead. A dubtitle would say "Hey, that's great!" instead of "This is wonderful news!"

Bob_Bobbson 08-31-10 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10348804)
I guess I read that explanation of dubtitles and didn't feel it was as clear as it could have been. An example:

Say a character in a foreign film says "This is wonderful news!" A correct translation would be "This is wonderful news!" but when they dub the movie the voice-over actor says "Hey, that's great!" instead. A dubtitle would say "Hey, that's great!" instead of "This is wonderful news!"

Thanks.

I know my explanation probably sucked. I was trying to think of an example but I had a bit of a brain fart and couldn't. :lol:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I thought there was a scene in High Tension where they added a line in the dub for a character who was off camera. So the subtitles include the line, but if you watch with the original audio, no one is speaking when the subtitle comes up. :lol:

OldBoy 08-31-10 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10348804)

that sounds like a bastardization. this isn't a dialogue driven movie in any way shape or form, so as long as the French track is 7.1 DTS and the subtitles aren't too bad, i be happy.

tylergfoster 09-01-10 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10348828)
that sounds like a bastardization.

Thus why many dislike dubtitles.

dullboy 09-01-10 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 10279644)
I wonder if all the extras from the 2-Disc Wonderland will be included on the BR? I really enjoy the WADD documentary but I own the Uncut verison of it and I know that version won't be included.

The back of the Wonderland BD doesn't list the Wadd documentary, but this review says it is there:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonder.../13880/#Review

Are you saying that the doc on the dvd is cut in some way?

BSTNFAN 09-04-10 08:08 AM

Did any of the features for Best Buy's Open Water bonus disc make it to the BD?

JJE-187 09-04-10 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy (Post 10350211)
The back of the Wonderland BD doesn't list the Wadd documentary, but this review says it is there:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonder.../13880/#Review

Are you saying that the doc on the dvd is cut in some way?

The version included on the Wonderland DVD doesn't contain the hardcore sex shots that the XXX version does. I don't know if the documentary originally had the XXX shots in it or if they were added by the XXX company.