DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lionsgate halloween horrror Blu-Ray announcements (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/576749-lionsgate-halloween-horrror-blu-ray-announcements.html)

tylergfoster 07-20-10 11:03 PM

Re: Lionsgate halloween horrror Blu-Ray announcements

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10275778)
Damn, Hard Candy and High Tension in the same month?! Both of those easily fit in my roster of favorite contemporary horror flicks. Add Criterion's release of Hausu and you've got yourself a pretty killer HD Halloween this year. :up:

You're making me wonder if Hausu is actually any good! No complaints about the technique of either Hard Candy or High Tension, which look great and feature solid performances, but both have story issues that make me kind of hate them.

Matthew Chmiel 07-20-10 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheDuke (Post 10276630)
That was the way it was filmed, wasn't it?

No. The film's OAR is 1.33:1. When the film was in theaters, it was windowboxed as it was projected in 1.85:1. There were only bars on the left and right of the screen, not top and bottom like the DVD.

Also, half of the film was shot in 16mm and the other half on VHS. The portions shot in 16mm should look fine if transferred properly. Of course, the VHS? Not as much.

AmityBoatTours 07-20-10 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10277438)
No. The film's OAR is 1.33:1. When the film was in theaters, it was windowboxed as it was projected in 1.85:1. There were only bars on the left and right of the screen, not top and bottom like the DVD.

Also, half of the film was shot in 16mm and the other half on VHS. The portions shot in 16mm should look fine if transferred properly. Of course, the VHS? Not as much.

Not where i watched it at ha ha, got to love watching movies at a theatre that can adjust the masking for any aspect ratio a film might be shot in.
saw it projected 1:33:1

Eric D. 07-21-10 01:53 AM

That's a very disappointing list. I've seen all but one of those films and none of them are worth owning, imo. I'm just surprised that Lionsgate has nothing else to release considering how many horror gems aren't on BD yet and the fact that they have access to a lot of Paramount's catalog titles.

gryffinmaster 07-21-10 07:31 AM

There's probably nothing to this, but FEARnet has the following caution-worthy information listed for The Blair Witch Project:

The Blair Witch Project - First time in 1080P High Definition Widescreen, along with additional bonus materials that include an audio commentary, a featurette and extra footage.

The Reaper 07-21-10 08:14 AM

What the fuck? Did my one possible buy just plummet to 0?

Matthew Chmiel 07-21-10 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10277526)
Not where i watched it at ha ha, got to love watching movies at a theatre that can adjust the masking for any aspect ratio a film might be shot in.
saw it projected 1:33:1

What part of my post said it wasn't in 1.33:1? The film was projected in 1.85:1, but with black bars on the left and the right of the screen to retain the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The DVD is more pillar-boxed so there's bars on all four sides of the screen, almost as if you're watching the film through a Viewfinder.

I'm not going to trust Fear Net on Blu-ray news, but if Lionsgate matted Blair Witch to 1.78:1, that would be shocking. Usually they take good care of their releases.

gryffinmaster 07-21-10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10278384)
I'm not going to trust Fear Net on Blu-ray news, but if Lionsgate matted Blair Witch to 1.78:1, that would be shocking. Usually they take good care of their releases.

I normally would take it with a smaller grain of salt than I already am. However ...

http://corporate.lionsgate.com/division.asp

Lionsgate has also completed a highly successful first year for its branded horror channel, FEARNet.com with partners Sony and Comcast. FEARNet.com has emerged as the leading online horror site and one of Comcast’s top VOD channels, reaching over 16 million households nationwide. The Company will debut its new television horror anthology series, Fear Itself, on Fearnet.com almost concurrently with its scheduled airing on NBC. The channel has been so successful that Lionsgate is exploring opportunities for replicating its success with other branded online networks.

AmityBoatTours 07-21-10 11:37 PM

What part of my post said it wasn't in 1.33:1? The film was projected in 1.85:1, but with black bars on the left and the right of the screen to retain the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The DVD is more pillar-boxed so there's bars on all four sides of the screen, almost as if you're watching the film through a Viewfinder.

re read my post friend, not all theatres projected it 1:85:1.
at the chinese theatre which is still capable of adjusting our masking to the academy aspect ratio of 1:33:1
the show print made availble for the theatre did indeed project it in 1:33:1 same goes with the wizard of oz theatrical re release done around the same time while most theatres had it projected 1:85:1 with the the image pillar boxed, older movie palaces that still are equiped with masking that lets the movies be properly projected in 1:33:1 were sent those prints instead.

I made no mention of the DVD, next time try reading a post before you get all defensive.

JJE-187 07-22-10 12:56 AM

I wonder if all the extras from the 2-Disc Wonderland will be included on the BR? I really enjoy the WADD documentary but I own the Uncut verison of it and I know that version won't be included.

To bad they aren't releasing a Blair Witch 2-Pack with both films. I am kinda hoping they include ALL the fake promo stuff they made for Blair Witch. I know the DVD didn't include all of them

doctorthodt 07-22-10 08:36 AM

Usually they take good care of their releases.

Errr, really? I thought Lionsgate basically had a 100% hands-off approach with their catalogue releases?

Gizmo 07-22-10 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10276442)
Didn't you say that the Aussie disc had some weird image problem?

It did in one of my players (can't remember which). But it's Region Free and looked great on my BD590.

Gizmo 07-22-10 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10279922)
Errr, really? I thought Lionsgate basically had a 100% hands-off approach with their catalogue releases?

They just throw anything out in the world to see if it sticks. Ladybugs? C'mon!

macnorton 07-22-10 10:42 AM

I am in for all of these...although I have never seen 2001 Maniacs.*

But if I had to pick just one it is Hard Candy. It is a great film and visually it is stunning.

*Currently I only own Hard Candy and High Tension on DVD...so that isn't bad either. Not sure if I still have Open Water.

asianxcore 08-26-10 11:42 PM

Bump!

I'm psyched these are going to be priced well @ BB this coming week.

The Monkees 08-27-10 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10341534)
Bump!

I'm psyched these are going to be priced well @ BB this coming week.

And they're being released this Sunday, over a month before the official release date. I love Best Buy exclusives.

Blair Witch is $10 and 2001 Maniacs is $8 which ain't bad at all!

gryffinmaster 08-27-10 01:45 PM

Best Buy's getting $20 of my money next week (Hard Candy, High Tension). :up:

asianxcore 08-27-10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10342235)
And they're being released this Sunday, over a month before the official release date. I love Best Buy exclusives.

Blair Witch is $10 and 2001 Maniacs is $8 which ain't bad at all!

Are there any specs out for the 2001 Maniacs release?

I know for the longest time Tim Sullivan said he wanted to include the Director's Cut as an extra on a future release of 2001 Maniacs, but that probably won't happen?

islandclaws 08-27-10 02:57 PM

Glad to see these hitting early. I'll head over this weekend for High Tension, Bad Lieutenant and BWP.

therock69 08-27-10 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10342384)
Are there any specs out for the 2001 Maniacs release?

I know for the longest time Tim Sullivan said he wanted to include the Director's Cut as an extra on a future release of 2001 Maniacs, but that probably won't happen?

if this blu isnt unrated it will never happen i have not heard anything if it is unrated but all special features have been ported over from dvd

asianxcore 08-29-10 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by therock69 (Post 10342900)
if this blu isnt unrated it will never happen i have not heard anything if it is unrated but all special features have been ported over from dvd

I was sort of hoping but knew it wouldn't see the light of day :)

Can anyone comment on the A/V Quality of Blair Witch Project, Hard Candy, and Secretary?

doctorthodt 08-29-10 07:49 PM

High Tension is dubtitled.

Blair Witch looks like shit, but it's supposed to. Secretary looks good - nice grainy sheen throughout. Haven't checked out Hard Candy yet.

Gizmo 08-29-10 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10345221)

Blair Witch looks like shit, but it's supposed to. Secretary looks good - nice grainy sheen throughout. Haven't checked out Hard Candy yet.

Blair Witch is supposed to look like shit. It's intended. Wondering how all the 15 year PS3 Gamers will handle it when they watch it "what's with all the grain?!".

asianxcore 08-29-10 08:09 PM

That's what I heard about High Tension via Blu-Ray.com forums. I'll hold onto my UK BD.

Read over there that Blair Witch is 1:33:1 on the BD as opposed to being Windowboxed on the DVD?

I really want to pick up Hard Candy, but I thought it already looked so good upconverted on DVD.

I'll probably pick up the rest of these tomorrow.

Bleddyn Williams 08-29-10 08:15 PM

Just compared it with my UK Optimum DVD. Gist of the dialogue is the same, but the dubtitles are more wordy compared with the simple dialogue of the UK version.

I don't know what the Optimum blu is like, but the subtitles on the Optimum DVD are rather ridiculously large - probably the biggest subtitles on any disc I own.

UK blu doesn't sound too great...

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...blade-romance/

I think I'd take the Lionsgate sub track overall - more reading, but less visually distracting.