Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Blu Season 1 - Sept 21

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spa...-Release/13779

Cant wait. Thought the series got better with each episode.

SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND
The Complete First Season

ON DVD AND BLU-RAY SEPTEMBER 21ST

Four-Disc Set Contains All 13 Episodes, Armored In
High-End Collectible Packaging and Armed With Bonus Features
Four Director's Cut Extended Episodes Blu-ray Exclusive

"A Bloody Good Time." - The Washington Post

Beverly Hills, CA; May 19, 2010 - "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND," the monumental Starz Original series comes home when Anchor Bay Entertainment releases the critical and audience smash as an heroic four-disc DVD and Blu-ray September 21st. SRP is $59.97 for the DVD, with $79.97 for the Blu-ray. Both the "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND - The Complete First Season" DVD and Blu-ray are clad in high-end collectible, book-style packaging.

Executive produced by Rob Tapert, Sam Raimi, Joshua Donen and Steven S. DeKnight, "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND - The Complete First Season" on DVD and Blu-ray promises to take fans even deeper into the deadly brutality of gladiator games and the decadent machinations of Roman society with hours of bonus features delving behind the scenes into the making of a modern epic, including interviews and commentaries from the actors and filmmakers, augmented with rare production footage exploring the series' ground-breaking visual effects, production and costume design.

Enhanced digital effects have been added to several of the episodes, and as a Blu-ray exclusive, four episodes have been personally selected as "Directors' Cut Extended Episodes," featuring content too risqué, even for cable TV!

"SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND," the most highly anticipated original series in the history of Starz Entertainment, premiered on January 22, 2010 and was an instant hit with viewers and critics. The Miami Herald called it "compulsively watchable," while the Associated Press remarked that the series "grabs you with visual pizzazz." Entertainment Weekly declared it "the not-at-all guilty pleasure of the season," while US Weekly gave it "3.5 out of 4 stars." With a renowned international cast including John Hannah (the Mummy films), Peter Mensah (300), Manu Bennett (30 Days of Night), Nick E. Tarabay ("Crash") and Lucy Lawless ("Xena: Warrior Princess"), and a star-making turn by UK-born and Australia-based Andy Whitfield in the title role, "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND" literally re-wrote the book for television series.

"SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND" was inspired by the actual slave of the Roman Republic, who in 73 BC led a slave revolt that grew to more than 120,000 fighters. Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus (Whitfield), a Thracian warrior captured by Romans, is enslaved into a gladiator training school owned by Batiatus (Hannah) and his wife Lucretia (Lawless). He is forced to fight daily for his life against deadly foes, under the brutal whip of trainer Doctore (Mensah). He is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test him and his masters.

Against all odds, Spartacus' rebellious instincts, his intense love for his wife Sura (Erin Cummings) and his powerful fighting skills drive him to win a series of near-impossible battles - setting in motion a revolution against the tyranny of Rome. To survive, he must become more than a man, more than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

The legions of "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND" fans who have been anticipating the second season, were excited to learn earlier this month that Starz will air a six-part prequel in early 2011 that tells the story of the gladiator school before Spartacus arrives. It will focus on Batiatus and Lucretia, as well as some new characters that will be introduced.

The bonus features on "SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND - The Complete First Season" are anything but spartan. Hours of featurettes, behind-the-scenes footage, audio commentaries, interviews, and outtakes will get the "thumbs up" from the casual Thracian to the die-hard Roman!

DVD and Blu-ray bonus features:
Featurettes:
Gladiator Camp
History Rewritten
Make-up Effects
The Hole
and more!
Audio Commentaries
Episodes with Enhanced Digital Effects
Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Bloopers
Trailers

Exclusive Blu-ray bonus feature:
Four "Directors' Cut Extended Episodes" personally selected by Executive Producer Rob Tapert

About Anchor Bay Entertainment
Anchor Bay Entertainment is the home entertainment division of Starz Media, LLC. It includes the Anchor Bay Films and Manga Entertainment brands. It distributes feature films, children's entertainment, fitness, TV series, documentaries, anime and other filmed entertainment on DVD and Blu-ray formats. It is the exclusive distributor in the U.S. of the theatrical titles from Overture Films. Headquartered in Beverly Hills, CA, Anchor Bay Entertainment has offices in Troy, MI, as well as Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Starz Media (www.starzmedia.com) is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Capital Group.

About Starz Entertainment
Starz Entertainment, LLC, is a premium movie service provider operating in the United States. It offers 16 movie channels including the flagship Starz and Encore brands with approximately 17.1 million and 31.1 million subscribers, respectively. Starz Entertainment airs more than 1,000 movies and new original series every month across its pay TV channels and offers advanced services including Starz HD, Encore HD, Starz On Demand, Encore On Demand, MoviePlex On Demand, Starz HD On Demand, Encore HD On Demand, MoviePlex HD On Demand, and Starz Play. Starz Entertainment (www.starz.com) is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, which is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation, and is attributed to Liberty Entertainment Group (NASDAQ: LSTZA), a tracking stock group of Liberty Media Corporation.

SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND - The Complete First Season DVD
Street Date: September 21, 2010
Run Time: 640 Minutes
SRP: $59.97
Format: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)
Audio: 5.1 Surround

SPARTACUS: BLOOD AND SAND - The Complete First Season BLU-RAY
Street Date: September 21, 2010
Run Time: 640 Minutes
SRP: $79.97
Format: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1) 1080i
Audio: Dolby True HD 5.1

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 05-19-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-19-10, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand Blu Season 1 - Sept 21

No thanks. Starz/Anchor Bay has already fucked me over with Crash Season 1 (where is Season 2? DVD Exclusive) and Masters of Horror (where is Season 2? DVD Exclusive). Starz can suck it.
Old 05-19-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think there has ever been a show in history quite like this one, in terms of going from completely godawful to unbelievably awesome, all within the course of one season.

I'll buy it.
Old 05-19-10, 09:48 PM

I'm kinda pissed the extended episodes are only on blu-ray. I don't like to buy tv shows on blu-ray because we only have one player in the house and I like to have the option of watching them wherever I want. Would it have been so hard to put the extended episodes on the dvd as well? I was gonna buy this on dvd, but now I'm not sure.
Old 05-19-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm all for Blu-Ray exclusive content
Old 05-20-10, 01:35 AM

Cool. Definitely getting it on bluray.... ofcourse once that price goes down just a tad bit.
Old 05-20-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im curious to see what the "Episodes with Enhanced Digital Effects" is going to be...?
Old 05-20-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only saw the 1st two episodes, guess I'll have to scan at least one of the later ones on Netflix streaming before I can make a Day 1 purchase.
Old 05-20-10, 02:31 PM

Yeah this show shouldn't be judge on those first two episodes. Everything after that is basically where it shines at being awesome.
Old 05-20-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer99
I only saw the 1st two episodes, guess I'll have to scan at least one of the later ones on Netflix streaming before I can make a Day 1 purchase.
The first two episodes weren't very good, but you'll be amazed at how quickly this show went from mediocre to outstanding.
Old 05-20-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No thanks. Starz/Anchor Bay has already fucked me over with Crash Season 1 (where is Season 2? DVD Exclusive) and Masters of Horror (where is Season 2? DVD Exclusive). Starz can suck it.
Ehhh? You were expecting special exclusives for Crash the series? Like what?

That's a bummer that the BR is the only one getting the directors cut episodes. I liked the show alot, but I'm still barely into the BR format and alot of the TV on BR prices are still a little too high.
Old 05-20-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ehhh? You were expecting special exclusives for Crash the series? Like what?
He meant season 2 is being released exclusively on DVD. No BD release.
Old 05-20-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really cannot compare Spartacus with low budget shows like Crash and Masters of Horror. Spartacus has the best ratings of any show every produced by Starz and clearly fits the demographic of the PS3 crowd. I have no doubt it will sell well and they will continue to support it.
Old 05-20-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Boobies!!!
Old 05-20-10, 06:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Show definitely got stronger as it went along. Curious to check out the director's cut episodes.
Old 05-21-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New update at hidefdigest says it will be 1080P and not i.

Was it just me or did Lucy Lawless look freakin amazing in the show? Way hotter than she did back in the xena days.
Old 05-22-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's because you actually get to see her boobies ...........

at least it was for me.
Old 05-24-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

In Spartacus:

Lucy Lawless

Viva Bianca (Ilithyia)

Lesley-Ann Brandt (Naevia)

Erin Cummings (Sura)

Katrina Law (Mira)

... I gotta go "tame my dragon" now ...

Last edited by Kmical; 05-24-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kmical
In Spartacus:

Lucy Lawless

Viva Bianca (Ilithyia)

Erin Cummings (Sura)

Katrina Law (Mira)

And how would you rate the "girl" in The Pit?
Old 05-26-10, 08:09 AM

This is why I do not watch nor buy DVD sets till the end of the show. To old, to many let downs. Guess its time to buy 24 now
Old 05-26-10, 08:11 AM

In Spartacus:

Lucy Lawless

I was at the Duck game (Glass Seats) when she hmmm well if you do not know. I have the pictures, big time Duck fan at the time. It was the play offs and I do not remember who won or who they played. Yup best $5,000 I ever spent.
Old 09-01-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pre-order down to $34.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PIUC02
Old 09-01-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

In Spartacus:

Lucy Lawless

Viva Bianca (Ilithyia)

Erin Cummings (Sura)

Katrina Law (Mira)

Don't forget all the cock...
Old 09-12-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw pictures of the digibook on blu-ray.com. Not a fan of the packaging at all. I don't want to be removing my discs from sleeves leading to fingerprints and scratches and I don't make custom cases. I'm canceling this one. Too bad.
Old 09-12-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by badlieut
Saw pictures of the digibook on blu-ray.com. Not a fan of the packaging at all. I don't want to be removing my discs from sleeves leading to fingerprints and scratches and I don't make custom cases. I'm canceling this one. Too bad.
Doesn't look any worse than the Rome set, which isn't too bad. Are you Edward Scissorhands or something? If you treat it with care and respect I don't see why you'd have any issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.