Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Se7en (Seven) Digibook -- 9/14/10

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Se7en (Seven) Digibook -- 9/14/10

Old 09-17-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Se7en (Seven) Digibook -- 9/14/10

I like the digibooks. I think that add a little flair to the entire package. Although I can understand some people not liking them due to uniformity issues. There is always the option of making your own covers.
Old 09-17-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Heh, I've been back and forth on which one to get... I have a couple digibooks, I do like em, just don't care for the size difference...but I think I could live with having a handful. As long as it's an individual movie and not part of a series (like Batman and the Matrix), that I couldn't stand for.

MIS Director, do you run a store or something? You really don't sound like you're having a good time with collecting.... ever think about whittling down the collection by a few thousand?
Old 09-17-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
These times? I'm a college student and paying for everything..and I'm doing damn fine.
That doesn't really mean much, obviously a lot of people have other financial issues right now.
Old 09-17-10, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy has a lot more movies than I do. He's approaching 2,000 BDS? I have about 140...I'm sure he's a lot more financially wealthy than I. Not sure what his gripe about the economy is...cuz..he's sure as hell fueling the BD industry.
Old 09-17-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also curious about how a digibook is a "waste of space" when it isn't even discernibly thicker than a regular keepcase....

Old 09-17-10, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For me, it's just a personal preference. The less digibooks, the better. Good for those who like them, but since the studios give us the option, I'll take the standard case.

Now if the studios 100% supported digibooks and said that or nothing else, that would be another story.
Old 09-17-10, 03:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I'm also curious about how a digibook is a "waste of space" when it isn't even discernibly thicker than a regular keepcase....

i don't think the digibook is a waste of space in your pic, but i sure think one of them is
Old 09-17-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, ok.
Old 09-17-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i do actually like special packaging. if my collection was all just plain bluray cases, it would look a bit boring.
i don't understand why they can't make these digibooks standard size though?
if the height and width would match the size of a standard case with slipsleeve i would definitely consider purchasing more than just seven.
Old 09-21-10, 12:11 PM

Please add 1 more vote to the "HATE DIGIBOOKS" column for me.

I want my collection to look uniform and my discs to fit on standard size storage shelves. Any packing that is not standard size needs to also contain a standard Blu-ray case.

I also love the way standard cases can be replaced if/when damaged. Damage a digibook and you're sol.

I know I'll now get a billion werdos who feel compelled to respond with things like:

"Why don't you take care of your collection?"

"What are you doing with your discs that damages them?"

Please don't bother. Your questioning does not invalidate the point in any way and I feel no need to respond or defend. It's just a fact.
Old 09-21-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's also a fact that if you live in an environment where a digibook can easily get damaged, well, maybe you should try not living inside a volcano.
Old 09-21-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It's also a fact that if you live in an environment where a digibook can easily get damaged, well, maybe you should try not living inside a volcano.
Because there is nothing else present in your average hosue that could damage a digibook, right? Short of living in a volcano of course. If you had actually thought before you replied, poddie does actually bring up some valid points. Much as I disagree with his opening statement, I have to agree that his list of shortcoming of the digibook packaging is valid.
Old 09-21-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by poddie

I know I'll now get a billion werdos who feel compelled to respond with things like:

"Why don't you take care of your collection?"

"What are you doing with your discs that damages them?"

Please don't bother. Your questioning does not invalidate the point in any way and I feel no need to respond or defend. It's just a fact.
I'm not going to bother because it would be pointless as your issue below reveals you to be the "weirdo" and one not prone to logic:
I want my collection to look uniform and my discs to fit on standard size storage shelves. Any packing that is not standard size needs to also contain a standard Blu-ray case.
That is your problem due to your own psychosis and not the fault or concern of the manufacturers.
Old 09-21-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Because there is nothing else present in your average hosue that could damage a digibook, right?
You're right - there are many things present in your average household that could damage a digibook; for instance: blenders, shampoo, power tools, grape juice, teething dogs, garbage disposals, bug spray, Aunt Jemima's pancake syrup, hair straighteners, and running faucets.

Fortunately, if you aren't a complete moron, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid any conceivable scenario where a common household item may cause harm to your digibooks
Old 09-21-10, 04:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Personally, I think Digibooks are more durable than regular BD cases, especially the eco ones.
Old 09-21-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm at the point where I have enough digibooks to break 'em out from my collection and create a separate shelf. I don't think they are necessary for every release, but for important films, they do add a little elan.
Old 09-21-10, 06:02 PM

Obviously none of you has any small children or other adults living in the house who may not be quite as concerned about keeping an immaculate collection. You all live alone or only mate/roomate with others who are as concerned with Blu-ray condition as you are. Right?

Volcano? Please. Psychosis? Right. No unreasonable responses there.

I shouldn't have to break out my digibooks separately. I shouldn't have to have special shelving for the silly oddball releases that want to come up with their own crappy versions of the packaging. I should be able to buy standard size shelves and place the discs on them in a uniform manner.

I'm sorry others can't see the reasoning behind this... but it doesn't make it any less true.

There are enough movies being released that I can simply wait for these releases to come out agian later in standard packaging (or in this case get the Walmart version). Of course if my favorite movie comes out packed in a brown paper wrapper I will still buy it and find some type of custom cover to print out... but it definitely knocks titles down on my priority list when they are poorly packaged. So if a movie was the least bit of a questionable purchase before, it usually just doesn't get bought.
Old 09-21-10, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poorly packaged is much different than packaged inconveniently.

Se7en? Doesn't bother me at all w/ it's packaging. Fits just right on my shelves w/ the regular cased BDs. If they were bulkier to an inconvenient level....than it'd bother me...but since it isn't, so it doesn't for me. I suggest people just stop bitching about cases and their personal inconveniences with them cuz your voice on the issue is very weak against a studio's decision about it's packaging. No Digibook bothers me. They all fit fine on my shelves. While they do stick out from the BD cases on there...it's ok. It's an issue I can't control so I just go w/ it.
Old 09-21-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obviously none of you has any small children or other adults living in the house who may not be quite as concerned about keeping an immaculate collection. You all live alone or only mate/roomate with others who are as concerned with Blu-ray condition as you are. Right?
Keep your movies out of the reach of children and tell the other people in your house not to touch your shit. How on earth is this actually too complicated? If this is a serious concern for you then the problem is with your life, not the packaging of movies.
Old 09-21-10, 07:19 PM

I will still buy it and find some type of custom cover to print out... but it definitely knocks titles down on my priority list when they are poorly packaged. So if a movie was the least bit of a questionable purchase before, it usually just doesn't get bought.
Yep, I figure in about $2 - $2.25 w/shipping.

Old 09-21-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it a little annoying how a lot of the threads turn into a discussion about the digibook packaging. Some like it; some don't. Some find it less durable; some find it more durable. Some find the "odd" size annoying; some like that they stand out.

We've come to expect variances from the studios. VHS had varying cases, DVDs too, and now BDs are no different. I don't think the digibooks are so different that we can clearly rule it as being superior/inferior. It's a preference thing. If you like/dislike it, fine. Let's leave it at that. Let's not quibble about this. It's getting to be stupid. Thanks.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forum
Old 09-22-10, 02:41 AM

Keep your movies out of the reach of children and tell the other people in your house not to touch your shit. How on earth is this actually too complicated? If this is a serious concern for you then the problem is with your life, not the packaging of movies.
My goodness... what a charming personality. You're the only one making this into a serious life issue. I merely stated a packaging preference and provided excellent reasons why. Perhaps some or all of these reasons do not apply to you and that's ok. But just for your information, some of us actually like to socialize and act like human beings towads one another, rather than command them not to touch things they half own. Perhaps someday you will be fortunate enough to be in a caring relationship with something other than your Blu-ray player and will understand better.

As the moderators prefer to move on from this discussion and avoid the issue, I will just close out of this thread now.
Old 09-22-10, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am in a caring relationship with a woman who is not Edward Scissorhands and respects my things enough not to ruin them just by touching them. How unfortunate that you apparently can't say the same. I know the moderator said to put an end to this, but since you apparently couldn't take his advice and felt the need to make a petty insult, I felt compelled to respond. Especially after you said this in your initial post:

I feel no need to respond or defend.
Old 09-22-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

You're right - there are many things present in your average household that could damage a digibook; for instance: blenders, shampoo, power tools, grape juice, teething dogs, garbage disposals, bug spray, Aunt Jemima's pancake syrup, hair straighteners, and running faucets.

Fortunately, if you aren't a complete moron, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid any conceivable scenario where a common household item may cause harm to your digibooks
You're kidding, right? You would have to be a complete moron to think that you could avoid every conceivable scenario where a common household item may cause harm to your digibooks. The big one that any normal person shoudl be able to think of is the simple accident. Get out a movie to watch with your lady friend, or guy friend (whatever floats your boat). Put the cover down on the coffee table as most normal people do. Things get a little hot and bothered, when BAM! Someone kicks over the beer sitting on the coaster, spilling it all over the digibook. And that is just one possible scenario.

EDIT: Just saw Namja's post. So, let me add, that I actually like the digibook format, and I think this Seven cover is a very sharp looking cover. While it does suffer from some inferiorities inherent in the case format, I think the overall aesthetic of it makes it worthwhile. And while it is a slightly different size from the standard case size, I look forward to adding this title to my collection.

Last edited by jjcool; 09-23-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
You're kidding, right? You would have to be a complete moron to think that you could avoid every conceivable scenario where a common household item may cause harm to your digibooks. The big one that any normal person shoudl be able to think of is the simple accident. Get out a movie to watch with your lady friend, or guy friend (whatever floats your boat). Put the cover down on the coffee table as most normal people do. Things get a littel hot and bothered, when BAM! Someone kicks over the bear sitting on teh coaster, spilling it all over the digibook. And that is just one possible scenario.

"I no harm Blu-ray. I make promise!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.