Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Harris tells Universal to stop releasing catalog titles on Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Robert Harris tells Universal to stop releasing catalog titles on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Robert Harris tells Universal to stop releasing catalog titles on Blu-ray

If somebody can locate this issue of American Cinematographer, I'm sure we would get at least a few quotes from key sources, from the actual time of production.
Old 05-26-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Here's what I'm seeing in the special features versus the main feature:

Originally Posted by Xylon
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Xylon
Special Features footage:
Spoiler:

BD:
Spoiler:
Old 05-26-10, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow..that's a very very noticeable....sad...so would it be better that I get the CC of Spartacus considering it's closer to what it should be like?
Old 05-26-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
wow..that's a very very noticeable....sad...so would it be better that I get the CC of Spartacus considering it's closer to what it should be like?
You're not responding to my post, right? Cos those are screenshots from Dracula.

This post links to the screenshots of Spartacus:

Originally Posted by slop101
Tough to tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I think dvdbeaver's comparison between the two versions is accurate and pretty much what I saw when I compared the two on my 50" plasma. I guess the more intense color is what pisses off Harris - and I guess I don't mind it because I wasn't the person who worked for years restoring the film frame by frame.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-26-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new caps are pretty dark, but I also think the old caps look overly bright.
Old 05-27-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
My issue is that the movie footage present in the special features is has more image detail and shadow detail than that of the main feature. Since both have the same colour timing, I'm guessing someone screwed up somehow while encoding the main feature onto the BD.
They most certainly do not have the same timing! They have a vaguely similar tonal palette, but the temperature values are totally different. If there's any kind of encoding error here (and I don't see evidence of one) it's independent of the different timing and, I would think, probably coincident.
Old 05-27-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
They most certainly do not have the same timing! They have a vaguely similar tonal palette, but the temperature values are totally different. If there's any kind of encoding error here (and I don't see evidence of one) it's independent of the different timing and, I would think, probably coincident.
Okay and what of the fact that the footage in the special features exhibits more image detail and shadow detail than that of the main feature? Doesn't that strike you as a problem?

Are we to assume the answer print lacks image detail present in other prints of the movie? Does that make any kind of sense?

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-27-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay and what of the fact that the footage in the special features exhibits more image detail and shadow detail than that of the main feature? Doesn't that strike you as a problem?
No. It's called different color timing. The presence of image detail in the negative exposure is not necessarily an indication that said detail is intended to be seen. That's why movies are processed and color timed, in the first place.

Are we to assume the answer print lacks image detail present in other prints of the movie? Does that make any kind of sense?
Yes and yes. It happens every day and it's what color timing is all about.
Old 05-27-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
No. It's called different color timing. The presence of image detail in the negative exposure is not necessarily an indication that said detail is intended to be seen. That's why movies are processed and color timed, in the first place.

Yes and yes. It happens every day and it's what color timing is all about.
Interesting. So this like how in The Descent the footage in the caves was darkened to make it appear scarcely lit? My bad on the confusion regarding colour timing as I think of that in terms of colours soley and not of how bright or dark an image is made to be.

For the record, I like the new colour scheme of the movie as I feel it makes it look creepier. I just feel they overdid it when making the overall image darker as it makes the blacks appear clipped or crushed (whichever is the correct term).
Old 05-27-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

For the record, I like the new colour scheme of the movie as I feel it makes it look creepier. I just feel they overdid it when making the overall image darker as it makes the blacks appear clipped or crushed (whichever is the correct term).
I like it too except for the crushing of course. It's obvious that the letter superimposed on the scene should not have been obscured in darkness.

I wonder in some basement somewhere, there's a cammed bootleg of the movie sitting on VHS, just waiting to prove out it actually looked in the theater.
Old 05-27-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You're seriously still holding a grudge over an argument that happened almost three years ago, and that didn't even concern you in the first place? How pathetic.

I must admit that I find it amusing that your memory of that debate is almost as poor as your memory of what Dracula looked like. Assuming you were even old enough to see Dracula in the theater when it was released, of course.
Why on earth would I hold a grudge about you remembering the transfer of Traffic incorrectly? You got that one wrong, but imagine that people should take your memory of Dracula seriously? Please.. Your self belief is impressive, if a little misplaced. Your Traffic debacle is richly demonstrative of your overconfidence in your own memory. Again it "looks exactly how the film is meant to look", according to your infallible memory. Dare a mere mortal (who doesn't think he can remember how films looked a few years ago let alone 20) question your powers of recollection..?
Old 05-27-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I wonder in some basement somewhere, there's a cammed bootleg of the movie sitting on VHS, just waiting to prove out it actually looked in the theater.
No such tape could help us- VHS tapes (and 20+ year-old camcorders) have nowhere near the latitude to represent cinema color.

And, as no one seems to have picked up on it in their arguments yet, I feel I should state again my distinct memory of there being two substantially different kinds of print of this film, so we need to be talking about our memories of a look, not of the look.
Old 05-28-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing like the good old Dracula debate to get people going. I actually do remember this movie in the theaters, because I was really impressed with how the writing was overlayed with the scenes - I had never really seen that before. The Blu Ray drops that completely due to the darkness.

I also point out that these people at Zoetrope have a vested interest in seeing their movie do well in sales, so they can pawn off whatever they claim as the "answer print" as the Gospel truth. Its a debate you simply can't win. Basically, everybody is willing to sign their name away for money. Coppola did it for the Criterion LaserDisc - why would he have done it if it wasn't the truth? Simply put, this is flat out selling the name out for money.

Last edited by chanster; 05-28-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here's what I'm seeing in the special features versus the main feature:
The screencaps are interesting to look at. As has been pointed out, the color timing is different between the two. Also, I don't notice significant differences in details on things clearly visible in both caps, such as the support beam and rat. The Special Features cap does look sharper, but there's also haloing about the flames, suggesting edge enhancement on this version.

As for the "crushed" blacks. Objects obscured by darkness in the main feature are, for the most part, gone, even when turning up the brightness. However, I'm not convince this is a "screw up" of the transfer. There are a number of reasons why this has occurred, from it being a limitation of the blu-ray encoding process, to a lmitation of the particular encoder used, to a limitation of the particular decoder used, to a limitation of the screenshot software used.

To color timing, at least to me, looks better on the new transfer, as evidenced by the caps in this review:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...hp?tid/138718/
Old 05-28-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Why on earth would I hold a grudge about you remembering the transfer of Traffic incorrectly? You got that one wrong, but imagine that people should take your memory of Dracula seriously? Please.. Your self belief is impressive, if a little misplaced. Your Traffic debacle is richly demonstrative of your overconfidence in your own memory. Again it "looks exactly how the film is meant to look", according to your infallible memory. Dare a mere mortal (who doesn't think he can remember how films looked a few years ago let alone 20) question your powers of recollection..?
I'm not dredging up that old argument again. But your memory of that debate, and my position in it, are less than accurate. It doesn't surprise me that you can't remember what Dracula looked like either. We'll leave it at that.
Old 05-28-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
To color timing, at least to me, looks better on the new transfer, as evidenced by the caps in this review:
The Superbit DVD is too bright and a little oversaturated. I won't deny that. But the Blu-ray veers too far in the other direction.
Old 05-28-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The screencaps are interesting to look at. As has been pointed out, the color timing is different between the two. Also, I don't notice significant differences in details on things clearly visible in both caps, such as the support beam and rat. The Special Features cap does look sharper, but there's also haloing about the flames, suggesting edge enhancement on this version.

As for the "crushed" blacks. Objects obscured by darkness in the main feature are, for the most part, gone, even when turning up the brightness. However, I'm not convince this is a "screw up" of the transfer. There are a number of reasons why this has occurred, from it being a limitation of the blu-ray encoding process, to a lmitation of the particular encoder used, to a limitation of the particular decoder used, to a limitation of the screenshot software used.

As I said, I prefer the colour scheme of the BD. I just feel they went overboard with the darkening of the image.
Old 05-29-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not dredging up that old argument again. But your memory of that debate, and my position in it, are less than accurate. It doesn't surprise me that you can't remember what Dracula looked like either. We'll leave it at that.
I'm not surprised you don't want people to remember your mistaken memory of how Traffic looked at the cinema. Frankly it's clear you have difficulty remembering things (as do the rest of us) which that particular case demonstrated fairly conclusively. It's ludicrous that you think you can now claim to remember how Dracula looked in theatres 20 years ago. Probably just best for you to accept that you have no evidence to support your questionable memory and move on..
Old 05-29-10, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm so booooored.
Old 05-29-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not "choosing sides" or getting into this debate, but I will say just this: simple logic states that they wouldn't have taken the money and time to do that overlay of the letter on the screen to have it be completely unreadable and just about invisible due to the over dark color timing.....just look at that screen shot, why would they waste time on such an effect that can almost not even be seen due to the extreme darkness? What's the point if you can't see it??
Old 05-29-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I'm not "choosing sides" or getting into this debate, but I will say just this: simple logic states that they wouldn't have taken the money and time to do that overlay of the letter on the screen to have it be completely unreadable and just about invisible due to the over dark color timing....
Directors have done worse. Terry Gilliam excised a large, CGI intensive action sequence from The Brothers Grimm, after it had been finished, because he felt it interrupted the flow of the story. James Cameron removed from T2 some CGI shots of the T1000 "glitching" from near the end of the film, which are viewable on the extended version. Those scenes and shots likely cost a lot more, and took more effort, than a simple optical overlay of a letter, but were sacrificed to the director's overall vision for the film in the editing room. It could very well be that for Dracula, Copolla preferred the 10 second scene being darker to the letter overlay being more easily visible.

So simple logic states that you can't judge whether a shot, effect, or scene is supposed to be in a film just on whether or not it took "time and money" to create it.

The Superbit DVD is too bright and a little oversaturated. I won't deny that. But the Blu-ray veers too far in the other direction.
As I said, I prefer the colour scheme of the BD. I just feel they went overboard with the darkening of the image.
Personally, I think that for a few specific shots (like the 10 second letter overlay), they may be a bit too dark in the new transfer. However, that's just my personal opinion, as are the two opinions quoted above. Regardless of what any of us feel about the new transfer, what really matters is whether or not it is accurate or correct. According to all credible evidence, the new transfer is an accurate reflection of how the film was intended to be shown in theaters.
Old 05-30-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think that for a few specific shots (like the 10 second letter overlay), they may be a bit too dark in the new transfer. However, that's just my personal opinion, as are the two opinions quoted above. Regardless of what any of us feel about the new transfer, what really matters is whether or not it is accurate or correct. According to several credible sources, the new transfer is an accurate reflection of how the film was intended to be shown in theaters.
I understand where your opinion lies on this issue, but I think what I posted above is closer to the truth.