Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

I think it was the same transfer, but cleaned up heavily, and a lot of other people share that same opinion. Some have even pointed out that in some of the screenshots, you can still see some of the macroblocking that was on the old release. That's probably why the darker shots with the head and shoulder shots from earlier in the film look as bad as they do... not only was grain being cleaned up, but probably the 'grain' that was 'created' by macroblocking as well. Double cleaning duty. Or... it could just be because the darker scenes had much more grain but, ya never know.
Old 07-09-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Best Buy have Free Movie Cash towards Predator?
Old 07-09-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
The code is printed on a sticker on the packaging. I don't think the retailer has anything to do with it. (If it's on a review copy I was sent, it should be everywhere.) I'm not 100% sure if the code was on the shrinkwrap or over it...I'm pretty sure it was physically on the shrinkwrap, though.
Old 07-09-10, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
..........................is that enough for you to buy this horrific transfer?
Old 07-10-10, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
..........................is that enough for you to buy this horrific transfer?

Hopefully when PREDATORS comes out on blu-ray, it will have waxy DNR galore so that everyone can watch the Ultimate Edition blu-ray and the blu for the new one back-to-back with consistency! Maybe the DNR can smooth out Brody's bump in his nose?
Old 07-10-10, 07:12 PM
Banned

you're a sick person, internet person. Sick indeed.

Being that it's from Troublemaker...I'm sure RR will (well...hopefully...cuz Sin City is and Grindhouse will be a Double Dip) put in some good features, hopefully very good, and a great transfer.
Old 07-10-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Again, I don't see how a title with unusually bad DNR means we can expect more in the future.
It doesn't mean anything. Look at other titles that don't have DNR that sell well. By the same illogical logic, you could then say goodbye to DNR.
Old 07-10-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Being that it's from Troublemaker...I'm sure RR will (well...hopefully...cuz Sin City is and Grindhouse will be a Double Dip) put in some good features, hopefully very good, and a great transfer.
that's hopefully very likely, I just hope Fox lets Rodriguez put as much extras on the blu-ray as possible...
Old 07-10-10, 08:32 PM
Banned

As always...I love his commentaries. I'd love to hear an audience commentary as well.
Old 07-10-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
that's hopefully very likely, I just hope Fox lets Rodriguez put as much extras on the blu-ray as possible...
Considering how great it looks on the big screen, Predators should be a really impresive transfer as well. Seeing how fox basicly told him to go ahead and film it in texas and basicly let it be a troublemaker studios production that fox would distribute, and made the effort to go out of there way not to hover over him, and just trust his skills as a filmmaker and producer, Iam sure they will let him pack with as many special as he wants. And not only that he produced a movie that is going to be very profitable. The movie is pretty much going to have made its 38 million dollar production budget as of the end of this weekend.
Old 07-11-10, 02:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Im not an average JSP, I read lots of movie and BD reviews, view screen caps when possible, etc. I happen to REALLY LIKE this new Predator edition's image! In just a scant FEW scenes in the beginning are some extra smoothness air brush qualities..but the rest of the film FAR OUTWEIGHS that giving this old Predator an updated and NEW look! I am extremely happy, plus as icing on the cake I got a free movoie ticket to see the new flick as well.

Old Pred dvd image 6/10
Old Pred BD image 7/10
New Pred BD 9/10...some scenes are like being in the jungle..some scenes have that Motion Flow tech look which I like. Some scenes have a nice filmic look...bottom line get it. Glad I got it for 14.99!
Old 07-11-10, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't tell if that post is a joke or not. Someone tell me he's kidding.
Old 07-11-10, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No, he's your typical movie buyer. He probably has Sharpness turned all the way up and his TV is still on 'torch' mode.
Old 07-11-10, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by FlickMan
Im not an average JSP, I read lots of movie and BD reviews, view screen caps when possible, etc. I happen to REALLY LIKE this new Predator edition's image! In just a scant FEW scenes in the beginning are some extra smoothness air brush qualities..but the rest of the film FAR OUTWEIGHS that giving this old Predator an updated and NEW look! I am extremely happy, plus as icing on the cake I got a free movoie ticket to see the new flick as well.

Old Pred dvd image 6/10
Old Pred BD image 7/10
New Pred BD 9/10...some scenes are like being in the jungle..some scenes have that Motion Flow tech look which I like. Some scenes have a nice filmic look...bottom line get it. Glad I got it for 14.99!
Old 07-11-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Its pretty crappy how Amazon just ports over all the reviews from the DVD edition making it look like this Blu is a five star release.
Old 07-11-10, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I was under the impression that Predators was a Rodriguez directed film. Until the end credits to the trash where it's revealed to have been directed by some unknown hack with only a secondary co-production credit to Rodriguez (huge difference).

Last edited by HumanMedia; 07-11-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 07:51 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Its pretty crappy how Amazon just ports over all the reviews from the DVD edition making it look like this Blu is a five star release.
I was never a fan of Amazon's system of taking reviews for other editions of a product and applying it to the one you're looking at. If I wanted to know how the DTS DVD looks and sounds, I'd go to the listing for the DTS DVD.
Old 07-11-10, 08:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I was never a fan of Amazon's system of taking reviews for other editions of a product and applying it to the one you're looking at. If I wanted to know how the DTS DVD looks and sounds, I'd go to the listing for the DTS DVD.
That has always pissed me off. You'd think they could have some sort of a toggle, allowing you to look at reviews for that specific release, or related releases.
Old 07-11-10, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

My favorite part about it is when I'm looking at a specific version of a product and only want to know about how this version is different from previous/alternate versions, only to find reviews for the other products I'm trying to compare this one against.
Old 07-11-10, 08:55 PM
Banned

Old Pred dvd image 6/10
Old Pred BD image 7/10
..please oh please tell me you're just yanking our short as fuck chain. I...I...I don't even wtf to say. Ok...I'm calm...I'm....calm.

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
I was under the impression that Predators was a Rodriguez directed film. Until the end credits to the trash where it's revealed to have been directed by some unknown hack with only a secondary co-production credit to Rodriguez (huge difference).
.....soooo...your point is? Maybe you haven't been looking at the threads too much..but...it's...pretty much said that RR is producing this and it's in his control. Even though it's directed by Antal. RR producing is what makes this a very unique film considering that Fox has let him do whatever he wants essentially.
Old 07-11-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

..some scenes have that Motion Flow tech look which I like.
This line right here is the most telling and gives us all the info we need to complete discredit your opinion....

Film should not look like a daytime soap opera, even when it is viewed on a TV set and not in a theater....
Old 07-11-10, 09:25 PM
Banned

I have to admit..I'd never heard of Motion Flow..had to wikipedia it. Seems....irrelevent in a way. I'm trying to make sense of it actually.
Old 07-11-10, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
This line right here is the most telling and gives us all the info we need to complete discredit your opinion....

Film should not look like a daytime soap opera, even when it is viewed on a TV set and not in a theater....
True....very, very true...
Old 07-11-10, 09:26 PM

I have to admit..I'd never heard of Motion Flow..had to wikipedia it. Seems....irrelevent in a way. I'm trying to make sense of it actually.
Imagine film looking like DNR'd videotape.
Old 07-11-10, 09:28 PM
Banned

No, I get that...I'm just..trying to see why it exists.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.