Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Old 07-06-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Originally Posted by Kory
I think we can all agree that Fox is the worst studio releasing Blu-rays today, especially catalog releases, and they're probably going to fuck up the Alien Saga like they've fucked up this release. Fuck Fox.
Now, now...don't hurt Universal's feelings. They've been trying really hard to fuck up as many catalog titles as possible.

As to the whole issue about complaining...seriously?!? If it bothers some of you so much then stick your heads in the sand and use the block feature. People have every right to express their opinions and if you don't like hearing it, than that's your problem. Every time somebody says a DNR riddled transfer looks fine to them and is better than the DVD, I facepalm. But they have every right to say that no matter how much I disagree with it.

The truth of the matter is that the video quality for BD has been very uneven as of late. People are going to bring the shit to light and that's something that we need to hear about. I would have purchased Predator if I hadn't know how messed up it was. That information saved me $20.
Old 07-07-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Reviews and screencaps were all over the place weeks before it came out. It's kinda of tough to miss this thread given how it's been on the top of the forum for weeks and has hundreds of posts... (and this is why I posted in your BD Bargains thread - to alert others of how crappy the BD is. Get it now? If you missed this thread, I'm sure other potential buyers did as well)

Should I just post 'Woah, awesome!' instead to every announcement? There have been some serious issues with Blu-ray as of late, and as a consumer I have ever right to speak up. I mean gees, I'm so excited to see what Disney's 13th Blu-ray of the year might be!!!
well I dont check everysingle thread, every single week, this thread has been around since the begining of May, I dont come on here every day, there will be sometimes where i wont be on for a week at a time and when i do its primarily to check the bargins thread. As for screen caps i never base a purchase on screen caps.

And no i am not saying you should say woah awesome on every announcement, but its known around most boards you are pretty negative in quite a few of your posts towards blu in general.

I am simply saying if you put as much effort into giving fox a call directly and voiceing your concern as i have(and i am sure others have to) maybe it would make a difference in the future. at least that way the company you are complaining about definately hears your complaints, instead of all of the same people who frequent all of the forums. Trespoochies idea of a petiton to fox is another great way to channel those complaints to the right people.I mean really you call a studio like full moon to complain about the puppet masters audio issues, but you wont call fox to complain about this?

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 07-07-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
well I dont check everysingle thread, every single week, this thread has been around since the begining of May, I dont come on here every day, there will be sometimes where i wont be on for a week at a time and when i do its primarily to check the bargins thread. As for screen caps i never base a purchase on screen caps.

And no i am not saying you should say woah awesome on every announcement, but its known around most boards you are pretty negative in quite a few of your posts towards blu in general.

I am simply saying if you put as much effort into giving fox a call directly and voiceing your concern as i have(and i am sure others have to) maybe it would make a difference in the future. at least that way the company you are complaining about definately hears your complaints, instead of all of the same people who frequent all of the forums. Trespoochies idea of a petiton to fox is another great way to channel those complaints to the right people.I mean really you call a studio like full moon to complain about the puppet masters audio issues, but you wont call fox to complain about this?
I'm just a negative person. Can't all be lilacs and pumpkins.

And calling Fox is like calling McDonalds HQ - it's just too big and no one will care. FullMoon is a tiny studio (if you could even call it that) and they have less employees then a single McDonalds has. Totally different (and since I paid my money directly to the studio, I could do a chargeback. Not so in the case of Predator if I bought it from Best Buy etc.). And besides, as I already said, I talk to my reps who pass the word up. No need to call when what I did tends to get more notice from the 'higher-ups'.

Enjoy your DNRed Predator and thanks for ruining the Alien set ( )
Old 07-07-10, 10:42 AM

Wow.
Old 07-07-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I think we can all agree that Fox is the worst studio releasing Blu-rays today, especially catalog releases
Overall they've actually been pretty solid with their catalog releases. Yeah, the first few waves were without some extras (like many studios were doing) but they settled down. Recently they've disappointed on some releases, so who knows going forward.
Old 07-07-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just a negative person. Can't all be lilacs and pumpkins.

And calling Fox is like calling McDonalds HQ - it's just too big and no one will care. FullMoon is a tiny studio (if you could even call it that) and they have less employees then a single McDonalds has. Totally different (and since I paid my money directly to the studio, I could do a chargeback. Not so in the case of Predator if I bought it from Best Buy etc.). And besides, as I already said, I talk to my reps who pass the word up. No need to call when what I did tends to get more notice from the 'higher-ups'.

Enjoy your DNRed Predator and thanks for ruining the Alien set ( )
just a little over dramatic there buddy, I seriously doubt that seeing as how Ridley Scott a few weeks ago said at the double feature screening of ALien and Blade Runner that he approved the new transfer for the first movie for theupcomming set. By the way where do you actually post reviews at cause i have yet to see an actual review from you aside, from the negativity you post here most of the time.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 07-07-10 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to admit...we've posted in a lot places the info on this BD in. The info was out there. In the Bargain bin even.
Old 07-07-10, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
just a little over dramatic there buddy, I seriously doubt that seeing as how Ridley Scott a few weeks ago said at the double feature screening of ALien and Blade Runner that he approved the new transfer for the first movie for theupcomming set. By the way where do you actually post reviews at cause i have yet to see an actual review from you aside, from the negativity you post here most of the time.
Funny, wasn't Gladiator an approved transfer? And Saving Private Ryan? Oops...Guess approved doesn't always mean it will be perfect (Picture or Audio). When you are watching the movie on a 14" screen, you can't really see DNR/EE. (And shit, I was kidding about Aliens. Gees. Get your panties out of a bunch, man. You didn't see the in the post? )

I don't review for DVDTalk so I don't post my reviews here. PM me if you want a link.
Old 07-07-10, 08:44 PM
Banned

I think we'll be fine w/ The Alien set (well...I fucking hope...just as we all do w/ any catalog title)...but like I said before. We've yet to get an R1 BD of them here so...we SHOULD be fine.
Old 07-07-10, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think we'll be fine w/ The Alien set (well...I fucking hope...just as we all do w/ any catalog title)...but like I said before. We've yet to get an R1 BD of them here so...we SHOULD be fine.
Fox has never really been a problem studio for me. Besides Patton and now Predator, they havn't screwed up much (not sure if I would count MGM titles though...since it's not really them). Fantastic Mr Fox was, well, fantastic and that was the last Fox BD I checked out.
Old 07-07-10, 08:56 PM
Banned

I think people may be taking it like we're literally downing everything they've done but we're not. I'll admit out of the few Fox titles I have they're good. Granted..there's many I'd like to get but they lack the features their DVD counterparts had. And that for the most part was in the start of BD for them.
Old 07-07-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny, wasn't Gladiator an approved transfer? And Saving Private Ryan? Oops...Guess approved doesn't always mean it will be perfect (Picture or Audio). When you are watching the movie on a 14" screen, you can't really see DNR/EE. (And shit, I was kidding about Aliens. Gees. Get your panties out of a bunch, man. You didn't see the in the post? )

I don't review for DVDTalk so I don't post my reviews here. PM me if you want a link.
very true. lol thanks for the link by the way.
Old 07-07-10, 09:19 PM
Banned

off topic: But...has that SPR thing been fixed or was it literally an issue on a case by case basis. Some people supposedly didn't hear it at all.
Old 07-07-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts

off topic: But...has that SPR thing been fixed or was it literally an issue on a case by case basis. Some people supposedly didn't hear it at all.
It affected all discs. It was an authoring/mastering/replication issue or something. They issued a recall. Details here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...vate_Ryan/4714
Old 07-07-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
It affected all discs.
No it didn't. It was just impossible to weed out which ones were faulty, so they just recalled the whole batch.
Old 07-07-10, 10:19 PM
Suspended

I still have my defective Iron Man disc...and now with a new player I have the audio defect I guess it's pretty rare though...who wants to buy it for like, $100?
Old 07-08-10, 09:11 PM
Banned

So i just got the old BD for Predator, it looks much better than the DVD for sure. And watching it you can tell that grain is part it's film stock. And that scene we're looking at a lot. The Arnie talking to the General one...looks much better on the BD than those screen caps allow it too.
Old 07-08-10, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Sigh:

http://i29.tinypic.com/15dp4zt.jpg

#13 Blu-ray of the week. We can likely look forward to more DNRed titles in our future.
Old 07-09-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe it's the older release? It doesn't say which version I havent seen any version of Predator on BR but I might buy the new version to get the free ticket to Predators
Old 07-09-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Again, I don't see how a title with unusually bad DNR means we can expect more in the future. It sold because it's a special edition of Predator and it had movie cash, not because some widespread word of mouth let the average consumer know the nasty grain was removed. Most people who bought it probably didn't know what it was going to look like, or thought it was going to look as good as other recent Fox catalog titles.

Now, if they had included a survey asking if their "work" on this title is appreciated, or perhaps a sticker on the front proclaiming "grain free!," that might be different. A survey might not even turn out in favor of more DNR, because those who hate it would probably be more likely to bother sending it in.
Old 07-09-10, 12:32 AM
Banned

it's not selling just cuz it's a SE or movie cash. It's selling cuz 1.) it's popular as fuck 2.) Predators is coming out tomorrow here in the US. and 3.) It's a new version..which to JSP can mean this is the better version.
Old 07-09-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Sigh:

http://i29.tinypic.com/15dp4zt.jpg

#13 Blu-ray of the week. We can likely look forward to more DNRed titles in our future.
How many actual copies is that? 100,000? 50,000? It can't be that many if that is only the blu chart.
Old 07-09-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's not selling just cuz it's a SE or movie cash. It's selling cuz 1.) it's popular as fuck 2.) Predators is coming out tomorrow here in the US. and 3.) It's a new version..which to JSP can mean this is the better version.
100% correct. I have 2 friends & a co-worker that bougth this version & they coudln't care less about the PQ problems, none of them even understood what I was trying to explain to them. They all said they don't even notice things like that.

Its like trying to convince the people here that are refusing to buy a Blu-Ray why it is so much better. This is the average movie buyer mentality. Those of us that post here are not the majority of people that purchase movies.
Old 07-09-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's the thing about a forum like this, or any other tech/film-geek forum out there... people have a really hard time seperating what the larger percentage of the consumer base thinks when it comes to all this stuff.

We're here every day talking about why this release is better than the last, or why this or that new release is inferior, or whatever the discussion may end up bringing... and people look at the sales numbers and say, "See... see?! People know it's a piece of poo!" Or they'll say, "Uh oh, looks like (insert company name here) is going to model their entire Blu-ray business model on (insert inferior reproduction technique here), because this one disc is selling well!"

The studios are going to do what they want. And our bitching doesn't do much about it. As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, and every other Predator UHE thread on the web, we are but a minority. We may SEEM like a majority, but that's only because we're the ones that care enough to come online and complain to each other (instead of calling the studio and giving them our opinions). In this case, Fox wanted to crank out a new Predator release before the new movie came out... so instead of spending a fortune in doing something worthwhile with Predator, they slathered some DNR on it, and pushed it out with a better encode. It was cheap, it was quick, and they're making money off of it. There's absolutely no reason to assume they're going to do this with all of their catalogue titles from now on... it's just that Predator was a film that sported a lot of grain, looked somewhat ugly with a poor encode on the first release, so they 'cleaned it up' for the average consumer. It was a business decision, and frankly, a no brainer. Could they have just used a new encode to make for a better picture? Sure. But then those J6P-ers out there that actually double dipped on this with all the excitement about the new Predators film wouldn't have been happy with their 'upgrade' (even though all of us would have been thrilled).

So many J6P viewers out there hardly care about the difference between SD and HD. They eventually come around, but some of these consumers actually believe that an upconverting DVD player is giving them their old DVD's in 'high definition'. To them, their ignorance is bliss, and for us... well, just take a look at this thread. But even when they DO come around, all they notice is the sharper image and the better colors and contrast. It doesn't matter if something is DNR'd or not, and they probably don't even notice things lik edge enhancement.

So let's not get all miffed and worried that sales numbers are going to dictate the way things are done with any particular company from now on. This was a quick and easy job to make money. Fox knows it, we know it, but the general public doesn't. If they do another edition when the original is 25 years old, they'll probably put some actual care into the release. Until then, figure out what you like best, watch it, and be happy with it. Other than that, the only other option until that point is to complain to Fox, and/or don't watch either edition at all.
Old 07-09-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

But, I thought it was reported that this was indeed a new transfer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.