Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Old 07-03-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

They look the same to me. Perhaps the comparison pics or the difference in white vs. black background are throwing you off?

Unfortunately, DVD Beaver doesn't have the full resolution shots because their review was done before they started including them. Their screenshot comparison is pretty much meaningless because the BD shots are scaled down to the same (or even lower) resolution as the DVD.

Last edited by Drexl; 07-03-10 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by rgray_69
The screen shot from dvdbeaver shown in this thread doesn't look anything like the screen shot on the actual dvdbeaver site. Go to http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...or_blu-ray.htm and you will see what i'm talking about. Who ever posted that screen shot on this thread messed it up because the shot looks way better on the dvdbeaver website.
Yeah, seriously, they look nothing alike. What the hell happened there? It's like whoever put together that comparison graphic deliberately distorted it to make the new Blu-ray look better.
Old 07-03-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DVDBeaver shot looks the same to me too.
Old 07-03-10, 01:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shot on this site the colours look over saturated. Arnolds skin tone is redder looking, and his shirt is brighter orange. the shot on dvdbeaver looks more natural.
Old 07-03-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess I see it. Pretty mild though.
Old 07-03-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
DVDBeaver's Blu-ray screen caps are known to be taken with inaccurate settings. (That's a general problem with the site, not just this one review.)
On what do you base that? I'm not calling you wrong, I'm just curious.

Originally Posted by rgray_69
The screen shot from dvdbeaver shown in this thread doesn't look anything like the screen shot on the actual dvdbeaver site. Go to http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...or_blu-ray.htm and you will see what i'm talking about. Who ever posted that screen shot on this thread messed it up because the shot looks way better on the dvdbeaver website.
Yeah, seriously, they look nothing alike. What the hell happened there? It's like whoever put together that comparison graphic deliberately distorted it to make the new Blu-ray look better.
I put the comparison together myself.

The images from DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com are exactly the same as those that appear on the respective sites. I made no adjustments in color or lighting. If the captures were altered in some way, deliberately or otherwise, I wasn't the one who did it.

I posted the comparison to highlight the difference made by DNR on the new Blu-ray, and it's obvious from those captures.

--THX
Old 07-03-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

I wonder what kind of screen people who like this transfer are using. 32"? 46"? 60"?
Im watching on 105" and it LOOKS LIKE SHIT!

Is there a site that do reviews on a BIG screen?
I had the same problem with DVD's. Some reviewer would say it looked awesome, but when shown big it looked horrible.
Old 07-03-10, 05:56 PM

I just looked at the caps on DVDBeaver and these are the most non-representative of either version of Predator on Blu-ray as any screen caps I have seen posted anywhere. These images have been so obviously altered for the worst, I can't believe they would try to pass these off as correct.

I have both Blu-ray versions, and I have compared both version on a 106" screen using a professionally calibrated LCoS projector (JVC clone) and neither version looks as bad as those screen caps, and the UHE looks significantly better.
Old 07-03-10, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

It must be my monitor then because when i put the screen shot from dvdbeaver next to the screen shot from this thread the screen shot from this thread is alot more saturated causing redder unnatural skin tones, whereas the screen shot from dvdbeaver is less saturated with more natural skin tones. Dvd reviews thinks the picture quality on the new disc is incredible so i guess it's all a matter of opinion. http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/3109.shtml
Old 07-03-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure you're comparing the right shots? On DVD Beaver's site, the shot from the original BD is on the bottom (DVD on top), while the shots posted in the thread have the original BD on the top and the new BD on the bottom.

But, you're right that there is some subjectivity to this. There are people who dislike grain and would gladly sacrifice some image detail to get it removed. It will be even more controversial if they ever figure out a way to do it without eliminating any detail at all.

Ultimately though, I think the best solution is to present the film as it actually looks, and let the users decide how to process it on their end.
Old 07-03-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 679 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
It will be even more controversial if they ever figure out a way to do it without eliminating any detail at all.
Wasn't Lowry Digital developing a process to do just that? Except they weren't so much removing the grain as making it more "consistent" (I guess would be the word) so you wouldn't notice there being any grain at all but all the detail would remain visible.

Whatever became of that idea?
Old 07-03-10, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on a lighter note: The original BD for Predator is $9.99 at amazon.
Old 07-03-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
On what do you base that? I'm not calling you wrong, I'm just curious.
This has been discussed on AVSForum in a bunch of different threads. It has something to do with them using the wrong color space, or something. Since I'm not a screen capper myself, I haven't paid attention to the technical details.

I put the comparison together myself.

The images from DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com are exactly the same as those that appear on the respective sites. I made no adjustments in color or lighting. If the captures were altered in some way, deliberately or otherwise, I wasn't the one who did it.
Huh. OK. Well then, it may not be deliberate. However, it doesn't look the same as the the DVDBeaver review you say you got it from. Not to me, anyway. The colors and brightness look different.

So, if DVDBeaver's pic is already inaccurate, that would make yours even more inaccurate, for whatever reason.

Here, I've taken the original pic from DVDBeaver and the one that you posted earlier and made my own comparison. I've made no other changes except to copy them and paste them into the same image. I'm not going to tell you which is which.

Does everyone else see a difference? Can everyone else pick out which one is which? Maybe it's just me or my monitor, I don't know. But that would seem weird.

Here's another one, where I've taken a slice of one cap and overlayed it on top of the other:

Maybe the difference is subtle, but I can sure see the division lines in terms of a color and brightness shift.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-03-10 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 09:02 PM
Banned

Yeah I see the difference.
Old 07-04-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can see one as well.
Old 07-04-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

I can see a difference and I'm using my iPod touch (on vacation).
Old 07-04-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also see the difference, which makes this all the more interesting.

When I take the sample from DVDBeaver and place it next to the sample (sourced from DVDBeaver) I posted here, with no changes aside from cropping, they match.

The top sample in your comparison, Josh Z, is a little less saturated next to them. I have no idea what happened there. And I don't know which is supposed to be which, but to my eye the bottom sample matches both the one at DVDBeaver and the one I posted before.

--THX
Old 07-04-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have a definitive answer as to what people look like in this new transfer. Remember those old Duracell commercials, not the family ones, but where they'd have, say, a boxing match or a competition of some sorts demonstrating the batteries?

That.
Old 07-04-10, 07:33 PM
Banned

Well I'm getting the old BD of Predator tues or Wednesday so...I'll see for myself what it looks like on my set.
Old 07-05-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just re-watched the old Blu and thought it looked quite good. Wasn't my home set-up (this was only 720p), but I only felt the grain was that intrusive a handful of times. A more relevant complaint is probably that this older transfer is too dark. With a little less grain and improved contrast range (as well as the room of a BD50), this would be a pretty top-notch transfer, IMO.
Old 07-05-10, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 679 Likes on 528 Posts

Here's a pic from Blu-Ray.com:

Spoiler:

The colors look just fine to me on the new BD. It's the DNR that bugs me. This should have been a fabulous release.

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
IGN posted their review and gave the video quality a 7/10 and overall quality 8/10. Those bastards...

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/110/1103224p1.html
What did you expect? The reviewer is a girl.

Old 07-05-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
When I take the sample from DVDBeaver and place it next to the sample (sourced from DVDBeaver) I posted here, with no changes aside from cropping, they match.

The top sample in your comparison, Josh Z, is a little less saturated next to them. I have no idea what happened there. And I don't know which is supposed to be which, but to my eye the bottom sample matches both the one at DVDBeaver and the one I posted before.
I have no idea why, but that's completely the opposite of what I'm seeing. Your cap is clearly oversaturated compared to the original. I guess this is just one more reason not to trust screen shots.

In any case, during playback, the new Blu-ray has been brightened and had the colors boosted when compared to the old one.
Old 07-05-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no idea why, but that's completely the opposite of what I'm seeing. Your cap is clearly oversaturated compared to the original. I guess this is just one more reason not to trust screen shots.

In any case, during playback, the new Blu-ray has been brightened and had the colors boosted when compared to the old one.
Do me a favor, if you would. Take a screen shot of my post above with the three samples. Use Print Screen, not Edit>Copy. I know how that graphic looks to me; I want to see if I can see exactly how it looks to you. Because this whole thing is most baffling, and intriguing.

--THX
Old 07-05-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How did you create your cap? In Paint? When you save an image in Paint, it almost always reduces the quality of the image, and changes the way it looks, so that could be one explanation.
Old 07-05-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still think that if people put half as much effort into placing a phone call to fox about the quality issues of this movie instead of just repeating it on here to same members back and fourth that it would help to ensure transfers like this happen less in the future.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.