Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Old 10-26-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Originally Posted by Kory
Thanks. It still is shit though.
Old 10-26-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Discs are very sturdy, so I don't think you could break them getting the set out. My only worry is getting any fingerprints around the edges while trying to get the discs out. I hope it doesn't require too much force to remove them.

Also, who knows how long it'll take for the Jurassic Park trilogy to come out, but I hope they use something else when that's ready for release.
Old 10-26-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Surprisingly. the worst thing about the packaging isn't the disc trays - it's how the digipak isn't the least bit secure in the slipcover and slides right out.
Universal's slips are always a little looser, I usually crease the edges so it bows inward - helps a little.
Old 10-26-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still look at that and want to know why you can't push the disc the other direction until it lines up with the Digital Copy disc, and then just lift it out.
Old 10-26-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I still look at that and want to know why you can't push the disc the other direction until it lines up with the Digital Copy disc, and then just lift it out.
Because it's too wide to slip past the retainers?
Old 10-26-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Discs are very sturdy, so I don't think you could break them getting the set out. My only worry is getting any fingerprints around the edges while trying to get the discs out. I hope it doesn't require too much force to remove them.

Also, who knows how long it'll take for the Jurassic Park trilogy to come out, but I hope they use something else when that's ready for release.
Definitley going to have fingerprints on the sid/bottom of the discs. The sheer force you have to use when sliding away from the retainers is rediculous.
Old 10-26-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Rotate the image 90 degrees and look at the width of the disc. I believe it's too wide to move upward.
Old 10-26-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How are the DC discs held in? Do they just pop out or do you have to do a different maneuver with those?
Old 10-26-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't understand why they didn't just stick with center hubs. It's all plastic that's being used, so I don't think it's cost cutting. I guess they were bored and was trying to think of the most annoying packaging system to design.
Old 10-26-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's funny reading everyones complaints, cause I felt the same way with The Office Season 6 packaging. This is obviously a bigger release, so more people are going to have to experience this dreadful style of packaging.

But in the end, I'm glad we have these films on Blu.
Old 10-26-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
It's funny reading everyones complaints, cause I felt the same way with The Office Season 6 packaging. This is obviously a bigger release, so more people are going to have to experience this dreadful style of packaging.

But in the end, I'm glad we have these films on Blu.
I went nuts about it for the House release and no one really seemed to care. Like you wrote, this is a bigger release and I just hope enough people complain so that they end up scrapping this style of digipak.

But reading the complaints, I'm more grateful then ever to be waiting for my discs to arrive from the UK.
Old 10-26-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Several people have had discs broken from the scream set trying to get them out of the same style packaging.
Myself experienced the retainers breaking off from my scream set after several times of removing and replacing the discs into the packaging. I posted a pic that you might be able to see what iam talking about in a post further up.
Old 10-26-10, 02:08 PM

Did they fix the sound issues on Part II (i.e. the warbly (underwater-sounding) distortion on the score in spots like when Marty first looks out of the alley at the future)?
Old 10-26-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason for this packaging, and I would almost guarantee it, is so it's slimmer on your shelf. Not much slimmer, but slimmer all the same. Having no disc hubs allows the digipak trays to be slimmer, and thus, the whole package to be slimmer. Season 6 of "The Office" is probably slimmer than Season 5 of "The Office," right? And they're the same amount of discs I would assume. Somebody could take a pic of them side by side to either prove or disprove my theory.

Regardless, it's stupid, and they should have just gone with three keep cases like every other Universal trilogy/box set has. Ugh.
Old 10-26-10, 03:33 PM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I really want to pick up the UK tin, but I wanted to wait for confirmation that it's totally region free. Might have to bite before the price goes up more.
Old 10-26-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, my guess is that they're designed to prevent floating discs.
Old 10-26-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I really want to pick up the UK tin, but I wanted to wait for confirmation that it's totally region free. Might have to bite before the price goes up more.
I know this is a big thread, and maybe you're not asking for confirmation, but this has been confirmed like five times now in this thread alone. People have booted the discs up in US PS3s and they work just fine, as per the blu-ray.com forums, and the packaging points out that the extras are NTSC.
Old 10-26-10, 03:39 PM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I don't read the Blu-ray.com forums and I didn't see that posted here. Maybe I missed it in this thread but thanks though.
Old 10-26-10, 03:58 PM

The BTTF Trilogy has been such a frustration since it was first released on DVD. Luckily it took me so long to finally buy the original DVD set they had already shipped corrected discs of II and III, but it turned out that the inner keepcase was cracked when I did eventually buy it. Then I managed to get the individual covers from a video store, but the artwork wasn't quite the same as the original posters... had that "washed out" effect with white logos on a blue background, which wasn't too bad but not faithful to the original key art.

When the individual releases came out with the actual key art, I was thrilled, although I ended up keeping my original DVDs (plus the new bonus disc) because of the boring black disc art. Now we get another boxed set, and I'm with those who would have preferred individual keepcases in some sort of slipcover (like the more common version of the Spider-Man Trilogy). I do like the fact that images of the original posters appear in the U.S. Digipak, but the fact that they are behind the discs (and the AWFUL way the discs are held in place) completely negates any benefit of having those images included.

One bright spot in all this (at least for the more patient among us, which unfortunately doesn't include me) is that the Digital Copy discs are apparently only going to be included for a limited time. In fact, TARGET already lists a 3-disc version of the BD Trilogy on their website, but not only is it the same price as the one with Digital Copies, it's only available online. What I can't tell is whether it's in a 3-disc keepcase or a Digipak, but even if it's the latter, it probably has hubs rather than the six-disc monstrosity that the DC version comes in. I was very tempted to order that version, but individual keepcases would probably be the only packaging I would have kept for these anyway.

I may try to upload the digital copies to my AppleTV via iTunes, but I doubt I'll keep the DC discs for any length of time... the three movie discs will just go in some sort of custom case. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the non-DC version if it ever hits store shelves, and if anyone buys one from TARGET.com or elsewhere, please post details and/or pics in this thread.
Old 10-26-10, 04:10 PM

Could you confirm if the sound/music issues in the DVDs of Part II are fixed on the Blu-Ray?
Old 10-26-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I don't read the Blu-ray.com forums and I didn't see that posted here. Maybe I missed it in this thread but thanks though.
Yeah. Not trying to be a dick but I keep seeing people asking for confirmation of R0/NTSC on each of the last few pages.
Old 10-26-10, 04:45 PM

pulled the trigger on the UK version as well..
Old 10-26-10, 05:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know why people are bitching so much, I watched bits and pieces of each one and they look amazing! However I feel the audio is better done in part 1 as opposed to parts 2 & 3.

Also, I was happy to see "Back to the Future Part III Coming Summer 1990" back on the end of part 2. The BTTFIII part has always been there but the "Coming Summer 1990" was missing from the other DVD releases (unless it was on the part 3 individual release) and it wasn't on the VHS release either.
Old 10-26-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Back to the Future set(along with Alien, Star wars cw s2, and santa claus the movie) was just deliverd.
First thing i did just now was to pop in the BTTF III disc sat down in my Dbox chair and with my DLP projector and just experienced BTTF the ride in my living room This is by far my Favorite Dbox experience ever it was just like being on the ride back home. The only thing i wish is that they would have presented the ride footage in HD, but hey atleast The ride is perserved for ever now.
I think this was the feature i was looking forward to the most being that I rescued at BTTF the ride a few times a month while the ride was open durring my full time days as a skipper at Amityboattours at universal orlando.
Old 10-26-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For now what iam doing till i can get a 6 disc case is to simply remove the Digital copy discs and put them in a dvd/cd wallet that i still had laying around. and just storeing the BDs in the slots where the digital copies were sitting as there is less pressure place on the discs removing them and replacing them out of the digi pack.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.