Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Back To The Future" on Blu! (10-26-2010)

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
So what is the total price for the UK set from Amazon UK after shipping, VAT removed, etc in US dollars?
$43.89. That's the price Amazon.uk will charge me, including shipping, for the basic 3 disc set. Of course, I will cancel should someone state the extras are in PAL. (please god let the answer come soon)
Old 10-20-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
$43.89. That's the price Amazon.uk will charge me, including shipping, for the basic 3 disc set. Of course, I will cancel should someone state the extras are in PAL. (please god let the answer come soon)
I meant the collector's set with the tin. Why is the regular UK set better than the US set?
Old 10-20-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

DVD Beaver...another positive review.
Old 10-20-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I meant the collector's set with the tin. Why is the regular UK set better than the US set?
For me, it's the inside design of the digipak. The US one is the same used for House and The Office where you need to "unlock" the disc on top by pushing down and lifting, then the tricky and risky part, in my opinion, of doing that in reverse to get it back in.

The UK has no digital copies and each disc with actual artwork on this disc, nice but not essential for me, has it's on hub that it rests on like any normal blu ray disc rests on in a regular case.

For me, this is HUGE. For others...not so much (unless they're making their own cases, I'm still not sure why more people don't HATE these new digis).
Old 10-21-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
DVD Beaver...another positive review.
Interesting they don't show any shots from II or III
Old 10-21-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Interesting they don't show any shots from II or III
Something tells me that's not the BTTF set he's reviewing but just the first film in some sort of individual release.
Old 10-21-10, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno, the caps set off my DNR-radar, but I will see it in motion sooner or later.
Old 10-21-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's what a customer on Amazon UK had to say about the goodies:

Spoiler:
A little OUTATIME number plate (complete with packaging that notes "This item is not a toy, for adult collector's only"!) It's both neat and, of course, entirely useless. The lenticular photo of Marty's family is even nicer: tilt it correctly and the characters fade out one by one. Naturally it's still something-and-nothing, but as lenticular cards go it's one of the most effective I've seen. There's also a glossy reproduction of the photo from Part 3 of Marty and Doc Brown by the clock face, which is disappointing low-res -- it looks like it's been captured from the film itself.

Next are four reprints of prop newspaper front pages, two alternate versions of the Hill Valley Telegraph from November 7, 1955, and two alternate versions of USA Today from October 22, 2015. What these allow you to see is how much -- or, in some cases, little -- effort went into creating the actual articles on the page: the headlines and pictures may vary, but the news stories are just copied-and-pasted from goodness-knows-where. I'm sure no one in the props department ever imagined fans would have a chance to read this 25 years later! The Sports Almanac, meanwhile, is labelled "extract" and contains 8 pages of baseball stats, presumably the pages that were actually produced as a prop for the film. Like most of the rest of this stuff, it's nice but you're not exactly going to read it.

There are two double-sided A2 posters. As per the picture, the painting of Marty and the "Back to the" & "Future" numberplate ones are back-to-back, and the original release and release posters are back-to-back. The blueprint of the Delorean is also A2, with hand-scrawled text that is just about legible. There are also two sets of art cards, 11 in total, printed on nice heavy card. One set is of hoverboard designs, the other of Delorean art, including a labelled diagram of what all Doc Brown's additions actually are.
Old 10-21-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Here's what a customer on Amazon UK had to say about the goodies:

Spoiler:
A little OUTATIME number plate (complete with packaging that notes "This item is not a toy, for adult collector's only"!) It's both neat and, of course, entirely useless. The lenticular photo of Marty's family is even nicer: tilt it correctly and the characters fade out one by one. Naturally it's still something-and-nothing, but as lenticular cards go it's one of the most effective I've seen. There's also a glossy reproduction of the photo from Part 3 of Marty and Doc Brown by the clock face, which is disappointing low-res -- it looks like it's been captured from the film itself.

Next are four reprints of prop newspaper front pages, two alternate versions of the Hill Valley Telegraph from November 7, 1955, and two alternate versions of USA Today from October 22, 2015. What these allow you to see is how much -- or, in some cases, little -- effort went into creating the actual articles on the page: the headlines and pictures may vary, but the news stories are just copied-and-pasted from goodness-knows-where. I'm sure no one in the props department ever imagined fans would have a chance to read this 25 years later! The Sports Almanac, meanwhile, is labelled "extract" and contains 8 pages of baseball stats, presumably the pages that were actually produced as a prop for the film. Like most of the rest of this stuff, it's nice but you're not exactly going to read it.

There are two double-sided A2 posters. As per the picture, the painting of Marty and the "Back to the" & "Future" numberplate ones are back-to-back, and the original release and release posters are back-to-back. The blueprint of the Delorean is also A2, with hand-scrawled text that is just about legible. There are also two sets of art cards, 11 in total, printed on nice heavy card. One set is of hoverboard designs, the other of Delorean art, including a labelled diagram of what all Doc Brown's additions actually are.
That stuff all sounds good to me. Better than nothing and I'm glad I decided to go with this version over the US release. The main thing I wish would be answered is if the extras are playable on a US PS3 or not.
Old 10-21-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Ok I am hearing that the SD special features are not always PAL on UK Blu releases. Is that possible? Is that true?
Many Blu-rays released in Europe have SD bonus features encoded in NTSC. Oftentimes, studios distribute the exact same disc in multiple countries.

Unlike the U.S., TVs in Europe are compatible with both PAL and NTSC. So viewers there won't have any problems watching NTSC features on the disc.

If so, what is the deal with BTTF and the Alien boxsets? Are the carried over SD features PAL or NTSC?
We won't know for certain until someone who actually buys the discs in Europe can confirm. I'd say that in most likelihood the supplements will be NTSC. However, there is a remote chance that the European copies could be locked to Region B.
Old 10-21-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I really like the metal box that comes with the UK Limited edition. But do I need a PlayStation 3 to play this blu-ray or i can just use my Region A player? maybe is a stupid question but i never bought a disc from the UK before.
Old 10-23-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
I really like the metal box that comes with the UK Limited edition. But do I need a PlayStation 3 to play this blu-ray or i can just use my Region A player? maybe is a stupid question but i never bought a disc from the UK before.
It has been confirmed that the extras are NTSC. The discs are region free and the extras will play everywhere as well.

That being said, I decided not to get the UK Tin edition since I have $15 in RZ certificates from Best Buy, which makes it about $35 for me, half the price of the tin from the UK.
Old 10-23-10, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I dunno, the caps set off my DNR-radar, but I will see it in motion sooner or later.

How is seeing it in motion going to erase the effects of DNR?
Old 10-23-10, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I know how some people feel about evil screencaps, but gees:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285244

You can just see the grain disappear and the waxiness come over
Old 10-23-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I know how some people feel about evil screencaps, but gees:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285244

You can just see the grain disappear and the waxiness come over
The bizarre thing is how Michael J. Fox's normal, unnaturally smooth skin makes it look worse. The DNR present is annoying and I'd rather not have it, but all things considered it's pretty mild.

Having seen pictures of the UK version, I'm debating whether or not I'll actually re-purchase the set in the US. That was my plan, but since all the extras should play, I might just not bother.

If anyone who doesn't mind UK ratings logos wants to switch discs with me, though, I'm all for it!!*

*really
Old 10-23-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yv_GuqTwLcE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yv_GuqTwLcE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-23-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It has been confirmed that the extras are NTSC. The discs are region free and the extras will play everywhere as well.
Not to be doubtful but what was your confirmation source? I'd like to read about it before I commit to ordering.
Old 10-23-10, 09:47 PM

So what is the total price for the UK set from Amazon UK after shipping, VAT removed, etc in US dollars?
I checked my bank account and mine came to $62.47 USD. Of course when I ordered this it was listed on Amazon.uk at £36.57. It is now £42.97.

I can't wait to get it and based off of the Youtube video showing its' contents, I am glad I did!
Old 10-23-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yv_GuqTwLcE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yv_GuqTwLcE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
wish he would have taken the actual discs out of the packaging so we could see if the uk version has that horrible push and pull digi packing.
Old 10-23-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone seen any custom made art work for the trilogy, that those of us who would like to simply put these into a standard 6 disc bluray case could use?
Old 10-24-10, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you see that? Do you have a link? Thanks.
Old 10-24-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Wow that is so much nicer than the US set it's unbelievable. Really glad I went with that version. I wish the US branch of Universal put in half that effort.
Old 10-24-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

At first I wasn't that interested in the UK set. I've been trying hard to avoid special sets as much as possible. But that video makes it look much better than the static photos. Dammit.
Old 10-24-10, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
wish he would have taken the actual discs out of the packaging so we could see if the uk version has that horrible push and pull digi packing.
The following video review shows the discs inside the box at about 11 minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6lYsUyIps
Old 10-25-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Swiski
The following video review shows the discs inside the box at about 11 minutes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6lYsUyIps
Thanks much appreciated for that link, very agravating that the universal release couldnt atleast have that style digi pack instead of what they opted for.

As much as i cant stand the us packaging i cant bring myself to spend a extra 25 bucks and week longer wait. hopefully someone will come up with a custom cover art for the trilogy (ive seen ones for the individual release) That can be used with a 6 disc case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.