Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As you said, Yoda inadvertently trained a Sith Lord, and at that point Obi-Wan had trained Anakin whom had just turned to the Dark Side. I doubt either was eager to jump into training again.
Maybe. But I think they just didn't want to change diapers.
Old 07-21-10, 07:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Emperor, and probably Vader, would have felt the disturbance in the Force if the twins had begun training at that young an age and with a whole armada of stormtroopers, Yoday and Obi-wan would have been no match.

Yoda knew that the Emperor was too well protected at the point just after Mustufar to try an attack.
Old 07-21-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I liked Outbound Flight more than I liked Spectre of the Past or Vision of the Future. It's been a while since I read it, but as I recall the Jedi master in question didn't see himself as a kidnapper; he saw himself as doing what was best for the Jedi, and for the children. He was perhaps especially aggressive, but it seemed like a natural outgrowth of the practice of recruiting toddlers.
Fair enough. He was still one of the main villains in the Thrawn Trilogy. Although I liked how they implied he and Thrawn knew of 'the far outsiders' if you know what I mean.

EU novels seem to be a low point now, but maybe I'll bump the thread in book forum to see if anyone's still reading it. Star Wars comics seem to be more popular now.
Old 07-21-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ranger
Fair enough. He was still one of the main villains in the Thrawn Trilogy. Although I liked how they implied he and Thrawn knew of 'the far outsiders' if you know what I mean.
Actually, it was a clone of him in those books.

EU novels seem to be a low point now, but maybe I'll bump the thread in book forum to see if anyone's still reading it. Star Wars comics seem to be more popular now.
I remember reading Zahn's original trilogy when it was first published, and it was exciting. I read nearly every Star Wars novel published afterwards for a few years, until they started coming more frequently. I bought Assault on Corellia, the first of "The Han Solo Trilogy," but never actually read it. By that point, I'd grown tired of inconsistent storytelling that seemed to be written by authors whose hands were too tied to really tell the stories they wanted to tell. I kept up with Zahn's works, though, because I enjoyed his writing style and the fact that I didn't feel the need to keep a reference guide handy to follow his books.

Somewhere along the way, both Star Trek and Star Wars novels became so entangled that what had once been clever shout-outs for attentive fans evolved into stories resting on not only an encyclopedic understanding of the canonical story elements, but non-canonical works as well. I miss the days when each book was its own self-contained adventure.

So for me, if it's not written by Zahn, the only Star Wars books that interest me are the original "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" tales (Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy and L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian trilogy). There's something about those works that I enjoy, and I think it's that they were written more or less in a vacuum. There was no grand EU editorial direction; in fact, only Splinter even really referred to the original movies at all, and it of course only had A New Hope to follow.

Oh, and I liked The Courtship of Princess Leia, and I always hated that they replaced the beautiful hardback dust jacket art with generic, end-of-Return of the Jedi art for the paperback release.
Old 08-01-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Back to the dream set. I'd like it to have the From: Star Wars, To: Jedi special and the FOX Star Wars collectors previews that were on the VHS tapes.

Also, Star Wars Celebrations V takes place August 12-15 in Orlando. Now, I don't expect Lucas to annouce anything about a blu-ray release at this time, but I think it's very likely that there'll be a Celebrations VI in 2013 for 30-year anniversary of ROTJ. Maybe that'll be when Lucas will announce the blu-ray release and MAYBE introduce the live-action series.
Old 08-01-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I suppose that a David Prowse commentary track is out of the question.
Old 08-01-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I suppose that a David Prowse commentary track is out of the question.
Are you f'ing mad?

{if you listen to the ForceCast, you'll get that}
Old 08-01-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno. Who's to say the Solos weren't non-believers, like the people who insist the moon landing was shot in a soundstage? Tell someone like that that what they once had to tolerate they can now openly condemn, and it's pretty easy to see how Han would come to dismiss the Jedi as a "hokey religion."
Given Solo's close friendship with Chewie, one would think that Chewie's prior association with Yoda and involvement in part of the Clone Wars would make Solo respect the Jedi more (or less, based on how they got their asses kicked by Palpatine who was always in their midst). Or perhaps, Chewie just never talks (growls) about it.

But as another poster stated, analyzing this kind of pulpy sci-fi-fantasy is almost a useless endeavor. The whole Trade Federation/Chosen One/Balance to the Force/Dark Side thing in the prequels is just too much to be fun, or even that interesting.

Last edited by DieselsDen; 08-01-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-01-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Given Solo's close friendship with Chewie, one would think that Chewie's prior association with Yoda and involvement in part of the Clone Wars would make Solo respect the Jedi more (or less, based on how they got their asses kicked by Palpatine who was always in their midst).
I always wondered what Obi-Wan and Chewie actually said to one another in the Mos Eisley cantina. Maybe I read too much into it--even before the prequels--but it always seemed to me that conversation was a bit conspiratorial and familiar, like they were downplaying some mutual recognition.

But as another poster stated, analyzing this kind of pulpy sci-fi-fantasy is almost a useless endeavor. The whole Trade Federation/Chosen One/Balance to the Force/Dark Side thing in the prequels is just too much to be fun, or even that interesting.
I find most Star Wars conversations dull, because they largely consist of the phrases "shouldn't have changed anything," "raped my childhood" and "Han shot first." But every now and again, I find it interesting to hear how other people have filled in some of these gaps, or answered the questions not quite addressed on-screen. It's even more fun to have these conversations with fans who have not felt the need to immerse themselves in the Expanded Universe comics and novels.

And I think that was part of the charm of the original trilogy; wondering just what the Clone Wars were, or who Boba Fett was under that helmet. Those questions now have answers (however dissatisfying), but there's still room for some of the kind of good-spirited speculation that has always been the appeal of such fiction.
Old 08-01-10, 10:59 PM

Dammit! Every time I notice this thread has some "chatter," I think it's news about the Blu Ray sets. Just people debating the movies. I can't wait until there is something important to read on this thread!
Old 08-01-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dammit! I saw this thread get bumped by someone with a low post count so I thought for sure there was some actual news! I can't wait until there is something important to read on this thread!
Old 08-02-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah...well, so...anyways, that's what I think about the whole Solo and Jedi thing.
Old 08-02-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there ever is real news for the sets, I hope this thread is just closed and a new news thread is opened.
Old 08-02-10, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we can make that happen.
Old 08-03-10, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Are you f'ing mad?

{if you listen to the ForceCast, you'll get that}
And sir....here is your nickel!
Old 08-04-10, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Dammit! I saw this thread get bumped by someone with a low post count so I thought for sure there was some actual news! I can't wait until there is something important to read on this thread!
Well, I am seeing a doctor about my low post count, so I can finally start a family of threads. So lay off, buddy!
Old 08-04-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Swiski
Well, I am seeing a doctor about my low post count, so I can finally start a family of threads. So lay off, buddy!
Old 08-04-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiski
Is this just a ploy for shower gifts and tax credits?
Old 08-04-10, 01:56 PM

Oh, and I liked The Courtship of Princess Leia, and I always hated that they replaced the beautiful hardback dust jacket art with generic, end-of-Return of the Jedi art for the paperback release.
You just miss the busty Princess Leia!
Old 08-04-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RM811
You just miss the busty Princess Leia!
Friends, I leave it to you to decide:

Hardback

Paperback
Old 08-04-10, 02:59 PM

I did not say anything was wrong with that!
Old 08-04-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm hoping for news on a release date, too, but I assume the title would be changed the reflect that....

no false hope here
Old 10-18-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to make a decision. My son moved out and took his DVD special editions with him. I haven't watched any of the original 6 in eons but it seems like they are movies I should have on the shelf. I have the new ones except for SOLO in 4K where available. Amazon has the 6 film collection for $67.50 which doesn't seem bad. Not sure whether I should add 6 more to my unwatched pile or not.
Old 10-18-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It’s a a pretty nice set. There’s some nice extras and I think it’s worth owning. As is Solo.
Old 10-22-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I didn't even know this thread existed. All Star Wars on Blu-ray discussion for the past 8 years has been on this other thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/577990-star-wars.html