DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Anyone catch It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on MGM HD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/572253-anyone-catch-its-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-mgm-hd.html)

whotony 05-02-10 05:00 PM

Re: Anyone catch It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on MGM HD?

Speaking of that dancing scene, some things should never be seen.
as they start dancing I noticed the shorts are extra short and a couple of time you can see much more then should be seen.

Ah the benefits of hd and a 73" tv.

cinerama 05-06-10 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10130317)
frankly I find the skin colors overboard.

Check out the 2nd and 5th screen shot comparisons. Those look better now. I received them from a friend and the previous ones were over saturated. The corrected ones are how the MGM HD broadcast actually looks. The MGM HD broadcast has more picture information on all four sides. I could be wrong but, I'm thinking the MGM HD broadcast came from 70mm Ultra Panavision and the DVD from 35mm scope.

Giles 05-06-10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by cinerama (Post 10143138)
Check out the 2nd and 5th screen shot comparisons. Those look better now. I received them from a friend and the previous ones were over saturated. The corrected ones are how the MGM HD broadcast actually looks. The MGM HD broadcast has more picture information on all four sides. I could be wrong but, I'm thinking the MGM HD broadcast came from 70mm Ultra Panavision and the DVD from 35mm scope.

oh I hope so, the 70mm revival I saw a few years back at the AFI Silver theatre looked fantastic!

Giles 05-06-10 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10132665)
Pretty sad they can't come up with just 2 million for this. They should so a prepaid Blu-ray order and we'll pay for it ourselves.

Still makes me wonder what the source was for this HD broadcast then - I suppose it could have been the transfer from 2001, but with today's tech it came out better.

or ask the general public for money and include personal credit and thanks on the eventual DVD/bluray release like the Peter Jackson did with the fan credits at the end of the Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy - I'd give 20 bucks just to see my name listed in the supplements.

and yes, the screen caps look much better and not feature super orange skin tones.

Trevor 05-07-10 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10144630)
or ask the general public for money and include personal credit and thanks on the eventual DVD/bluray release like the Peter Jackson did with the fan credits at the end of the Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy - I'd give 20 bucks just to see my name listed in the supplements.

Thanks for the bitter memory. I saw that fan credit thing and put the paperwork in my 'important papers - do now' box. Then promptly forgot about it and don't see my name in the credits of my favorite trilogy. :(

I should find that box and do my 2003 taxes .....

LyricPhotoplay 07-06-11 03:51 PM

Blu-Ray is now on shelves at Wal-Mart for $10. Apparently it is a Walmart exclusive, and fantastic quality!

Giles 07-06-11 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LyricPhotoplay (Post 10843945)
Blu-Ray is now on shelves at Wal-Mart for $10. Apparently it is a Walmart exclusive, and fantastic quality!

with some 59 minutes worth of extended scenes, the full 2.75:1 aspect ratio and a stellar transfer... and the price - this is a steal!

TomOpus 07-06-11 05:31 PM

Thanks for the update. Will definitely pick this up.

LyricPhotoplay 07-09-11 08:37 PM

Re: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on MGM Blu-Ray?

It has all the same extras there were on the 10-year old standard DVD release--the feature and trailers are new HD transfers.

TomOpus 07-09-11 09:24 PM

I picked it up today. Yes, the transfer is very very nice :up:

RobLutter 07-09-11 11:50 PM

Picked this up... it's fantastic.

If only we could get the Roadshow version. Oh well, that's far off if ever.

I'd suggest anyone that WANTS the Roadshow version, pick up this BD. If lots of interest is shown, it can only help a double-dip in the future.

Pizza 07-10-11 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by LyricPhotoplay (Post 10843945)

Thanks for the heads up on this. Ran out and bought this the other day. Quite thrilled with this release.

LyricPhotoplay 07-21-11 09:33 AM

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World MGM BLU-RAY?

We need to encourage as many people as possible to go to Walmart to buy this exclusive release--at only $10 it can pave the way for even more classics on Blu-Ray if it is a good seller for them.

Been looking for a review of this disc on this site--WHY ISN"T THERE A REVIEW POSTED? I hope it is not because it isn't sold by major dealers like Amazon.

Pizza 07-21-11 09:41 AM

Re: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World MGM BLU-RAY?

Originally Posted by LyricPhotoplay (Post 10862038)
We need to encourage as many people as possible to go to Walmart to buy this exclusive release--at only $10 it can pave the way for even more classics on Blu-Ray if it is a good seller for them.

Been looking for a review of this disc on this site--WHY ISN"T THERE A REVIEW POSTED? I hope it is not because it isn't sold by major dealers like Amazon.

I'm guessing they didn't get a screener to hand out.
If they want one, I could do one. I used to do DVD reviews all the time for a few publications.

riotinmyskull 07-21-11 09:43 AM

blu-ray.com review

clckworang 07-21-11 03:32 PM

Didn't realize this got a Blu-ray release. Good price, too. I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm at Wal-Mart.

Giles 07-22-11 11:55 PM

Re: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World MGM BLU-RAY?

Originally Posted by LyricPhotoplay (Post 10862038)

I'm hoping that The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm isn't far behind as a wide release or a Walmart exclusive.

LyricPhotoplay 07-29-11 06:13 AM

The Blu-Ray com review is great--too bad this site didn't do one--I usually look to DVD Talk for classic reviews!

Hope more classics come from MGM soon--they are starting to ramp up their standard DVD classic releases.