Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix - Fox and Universal join WB to delay rentals 28 days

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100409/...x_moviestudios

Fri Apr 9, 5:35 am ET

(Reuters) – U.S. DVD rental company Netflix Inc has reached deals with movie studios Twentieth Century Fox and Universal Studios that will allow it to rent DVDs and Blu-ray discs 28 days after new releases go on sale in stores.

The deal with News Corp's Twentieth Century Fox also involves a first-time streaming license for Fox TV shows, the two companies said in a joint statement.

Netflix and Universal said that under their deal, Netflix would get significantly more units and better in-stock levels from Universal after the four-week period and get access to more of the studio's movies for customers to stream.

With the 28-day delay, Netflix will be able to rent James Cameron's worldwide blockbuster "Avatar" to its customers from May 20, after its April 22 DVD/Blu-ray release date.

The first release covered under the new agreement with Universal is the comedy "It's Complicated," which will be released in stores on April 27.

Earlier this year Netflix Inc and Coinstar Inc's Redbox each agreed to a 28-day delay on Warner Bros.' new releases.

Netflix Chief Executive Reed Hastings said in October studios were wrestling with declining DVD sales as the rental market has been modestly growing and that some studios are considering introducing a DVD retail sales-only window for a few weeks.
And the big train to drive people to torrents begins.
Old 04-09-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Netflix - Fox and Universal join WB to delay rentals 28 days

Wow, just in time for Avatar to be delayed a month.
Old 04-09-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as we get more streaming movies, I don't care.
Old 04-09-10, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know... I just can't get upset about this. I can understand why people would and are, but for me, it just doesn't seem like a big deal. It's rare I use Netflix for any new releases, especially in the last 6 months or so, when I've been using Netflix primarily to stream content to my set. Any new release that I really want to see chances are I am buying it and likely I saw it in the theatre, too. Otherwise, I can wait a couple more weeks to see it, or rent it at a traditional rental store.

There are so so many movies to see and my tastes seem to lean more towards older films, foreign films, genre titles, obscure titles and less towards "The Blind Side," "It's Complicated," (just using the examples listed) etc. Avatar I saw in the theatres and if I feel like seeing it again I'll just buy the blu.

I guess, if I waited this long to see the movie, I can wait a few more weeks. It's not like I'll ever run out of stuff to watch.
Old 04-09-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And the big train to drive people to torrents begins.
Oh yeah, a month delay leads people to theft.
Old 04-09-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I love how the wording in that press release makes it sound like the studios are doing NetFlix a favor by allowing them to rent out the movies a month after they're up for sale. As if being able to rent a movie a month after it's out is somehow better than being able to rent it day-and-date with when it's up for sale.
Old 04-09-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd consider it!

seriously, this is fucking bullshit. i enjoy watching new releases when they come out because i have a small child and can't make it to the theaters anymore.

i only wish Netflix had the balls to stand up to the movie companies. i understand why they don't, as it would kill their bottom line, but still.
Old 04-09-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'd consider it!
Would you walk into a Best Buy and just take the Blu-Ray disc since it enrages you so much?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Old 04-09-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Would you walk into a Best Buy and just take the Blu-Ray disc since it enrages you so much?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Of course not. But in that situation, I'd have possession of a movie that would still be mine after I'd stolen it.

But considering I'm paying for a service like Netflix where I'm not owning the movie anyway, I'm leaning towards considering this a grey area.
Old 04-09-10, 11:57 AM
Suspended

Yeah, didn't think so.
It's not the same at all.
Old 04-09-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's not the same at all.
Everybody is a big, tough man behind the security of their keyboards and monitors.
Old 04-09-10, 12:04 PM

Everybody is a big, tough man behind the security of their keyboards and monitors.
Of course they are. There is virtually no consequence.
Old 04-09-10, 12:08 PM
Suspended

It's not a physical item that Best Buy purchased and intended to sell to make their money back. It's digital. I'm not going to debate this again.
Old 04-09-10, 12:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Given that, as you can see from this very thread, most people don't consider torrenting to be theft on the same level as stealing a physical disc, then yes, a month's delay could very well lead to people downloading a rip of the Blu-ray or DVD.

It's stuff like this that makes me laugh at the studios. They bitch and moan about "rampant" piracy, then they do stuff to discourage people from getting their movies in a legal fashion that will bring in profit. The fact is, if someone is on the fence on a movie, having to wait a month isn't going to convince them they should buy instead of rent. It may convince them to torrent the film, but I doubt it will convince them to buy it.
Old 04-09-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

considering the way you post around here, i find that mildly amusing that you'd post this.
Old 04-09-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Personally, if I'm not buying a new release there's nothing I couldn't wait another 4 wks for. But I do wonder why the studios are taking Blockbuster's side... Wouldn't it be easier for the studios to manage the rental market with less companies around? (Leaving just netflix and the various $1 vendors)
Old 04-09-10, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Given that, as you can see from this very thread, most people don't consider torrenting to be theft on the same level as stealing a physical disc, then yes, a month's delay could very well lead to people downloading a rip of the Blu-ray or DVD.

It's stuff like this that makes me laugh at the studios. They bitch and moan about "rampant" piracy, then they do stuff to discourage people from getting their movies in a legal fashion that will bring in profit. The fact is, if someone is on the fence on a movie, having to wait a month isn't going to convince them they should buy instead of rent. It may convince them to torrent the film, but I doubt it will convince them to buy it.
That.

Hard to type do much on an iPhone. Guess this explains the influx of Fox shows a few days ago. Love the timing with Avatar. Greed rears it's heads.
Old 04-09-10, 12:56 PM

I still don't understand this. Doesn't this kind of make Blockbuster a monopoly which to me is a greater law-breaking sin? What happeneded to good old fashioned competition?
Old 04-09-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand people being upset if they ONLY use Netflix for new release movies, but this doesn't affect me. (and honestly if one is a member of Netflix and ONLY gets new releases, that model is not a good match for you)

I have over 300 in my queue and the majority are catalog titles. If I really, really want to see a film, I see it in a theater. If not, I'm patient enough to wait a bit longer on Netflix.
Old 04-09-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One more reason to love the library. Just last weekend we got The Blind Side & Sherlock Holmes from there. It's free and no delay in release dates.
Old 04-09-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So far the WB strategy only made me buy one movie instead of waiting - The Blind Side. I just sold it off after I bought it and watched it. Maybe lost $5. So Netflix got no money, and WB probably made one less sale with one more copy being in the secondary market instead of a collection.
Old 04-09-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why only Netflix - why not blockbuster too?
Old 04-09-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It's not a horrible deal at all unless you are absolutely obsessed with renting new releases. I already noticed that FOX has put out alot more catalogue and TV titles into Netflix's streaming section and alot of them I'm interested in seeing.

With TV (cable and broadcast), Hulu, our backlog of unwatched DVD's and BR's, and seeing movies in the theatres, we have hundreds of hours of entertainment available right now. It's not like I'm ever going to be bored on any given day. I can wait an extra 4 weeks to watch these titles.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-09-10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
One more reason to love the library. Just last weekend we got The Blind Side & Sherlock Holmes from there. It's free and no delay in release dates.
I don't know what library you go to, but the ones in my area don't carry squat. I would hardly consider the library as a 1st alternative to renting movies, unless I don't have a job.
Old 04-09-10, 02:05 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I like renting new releases. A deal like this would definitely cause me to drop my Netflix plan to 1-out (to get access to the unlimited streaming), and go with Blockbuster for my blu-ray disc rentals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.