Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead - UK Releases (Arrow; Region Free)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Thought some people here might be interested to know that over in the UK, Arrow has released their own versions of the original Dawn and Day of the Dead. They are Blu-ray (A/B/C) and DVD (0) Region free. Ignore what Amazon.uk might say.

Compared to the Anchor Bay/Starz releases, these are pretty loaded with Special Features. Dawn comes with a really nice window slip cover, your choice of 4 'cover art' to display through the window, a foldout poster, information booklet, the US Cut on Blu-ray, and the other two cuts on DVD. Arrow carried over a lot of what was on the Ultimate Dawn set, but not all (missing some Commentary tracks and a few other special features). The PCM track has been replaced by a DTS MA one. This will probably be the best edition available until Anchor Bay releases its (rumored) Ultimate edition domestically. I have not had a chance to compare, but it looks really similar to Anchor Bay/Starz transfer.

Day carries over all the previous Blu-ray features plus some new ones that were recently shot. It's currently in route to me from the UK.

Press Release with all the information:
Spoiler:
This March, Arrow Video celebrates the 25th Anniversary of writer-director George A. Romero’s 1985 horror masterpiece, Day Of The Dead, with a special two-disc Blu-ray release that features a host of world exclusive extras, including a restored presentation of the film, a new hi-def soundtrack (the original ‘uncensored dialogue’ version, completely restored), four alternate sleeves, a double-sided poster, a 24-page collector’s booklet ‘For Every Dawn There Is A Day’, plus a very special collector’s comic – ‘Day Of The Dead: Desertion’ – featuring a brand new ‘Bub’ storyline. Also after years of ‘Dawn Of The Dead’ getting all the great documentaries, ‘Day…’ finally gets the retrospectives it deserves with the all-new ‘Joe Of The Dead’ and ‘Travelogue Of The Dead’.

Specially commissioned for this 25th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Day Of The Dead, the world exclusive 24-page comic ‘Day Of The Day: Desertion’ is written by ‘Hack/Slash Meets Re-Animator’ co-writer, Barry Keating, and ‘Halloween: Nightdance’ creator, Stefan Hutchinson, with artwork by ‘Halloween: The First Death of Laurie Strode’ illustrator Jeff Zornow. The storyline recounts the dark and disturbing origins of Day Of The Dead’s iconic zombie, Bub. Only available as part of this Blu-ray release, ‘Day Of The Dead: Desertion’ is just one of the many features that makes this release the one, must-have edition of Day Of The Dead for fans and collectors worldwide.

The Day of the Dead Blu-ray was developed in conjunction with the members of Cult Labs - a site where film distributors interested in fan opinions spend time getting their expert feedback. One of the artwork options included in the packaging - the triple layer Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead poster was their most popular alternate choice. The main artwork is an all-new oil painting commissioned from artist Rick Melton.

In this, the third instalment in Romero’s ongoing zombie saga, the living dead have now taken over the world and only small pockets of human resistance survive. One such group of desperate survivors, a motley crew of scientists and soldiers, are holed up in a 14-mile long underground missile silo. As the scientists experiment on forcibly captured zombie specimens to try and find a way to control them, the soldiers become increasingly impatient with the lack of results and are eager to wage an all-out war on the undead. Soon, the tension between the two human camps erupts into a violent situation that is only overshadowed by the vicious zombie slaughter that surrounds them.

Easily the bleakest, goriest and most chilling of Romero’s zombie movies to date, Day Of The Dead sees Tom Savini and his special effects team hitting an all-time career high with an endless succession of super-realistic flesh tearing, bone snapping, gut spilling mayhem that for some viewers will prove almost too much to endure. The setting within a seemingly endless series of underground caverns adds an unbearable tension to a movie that is still as shockingly violent and claustrophobic today as it was twenty-five years ago.

Two all-new documentaries were commissioned for this epic release. In ‘Joe Of The Dead’ (directed by Calum Waddell) actor Joe Pilato talks about his career in movies - from his early appearance in the little-seen Pittsburgh horror outing ‘Effects’ (which also featured Romero regulars Tom Savini and John Harrison) to his small parts in ‘Dawn Of The Dead’ and ‘Knightriders’ and, of course, his work as Captain Rhodes in Day Of The Dead. In addition, Pilato addresses the remake, where his career went following Day of The Dead's disastrous box office upon its initial release and his thoughts on the movie being rediscovered and hailed as a classic.
In ‘Travelogue of the Dead’ (directed by Naomi Holwill), we join Pilato as he travels across Dublin, Edinburgh and Glasgow in October 2009 celebrating the 25th anniversary of Day Of The Dead and witness him meeting the fans, reciting his most famous lines from the movie - live and on stage - and drinking with the best of them! 

Calum Waddell also penned the ‘For Every Dawn There Is A Day’ collector’s booklet, which is an essay on the making of the movie that collects brand new interviews with Romero, Savini, editor Pasquale Buba, assistant director/composer John Harrison and actors Joe Pilato, Lori Cardille and Gary Steele.

The two-disc 25th Anniversary Edition Day Of The Dead (cert. 18) will be released on Blu-ray (£24.99) by Arrow Video on 29th March 2010.

Special Features

Four sleeve art options; double-sided fold-out poster; ‘For Every Dawn There Is A Day’ collector’s booklet; ‘Day Of The Dead: Desertion’ – an all new exclusive 24-page collector’s comic featuring new Bub storyline; 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and 1.0 Mono audio options.

Disc One (Blu-ray)

Theatrical feature; audio commentary with special effects team of Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger, Everett Burrell and Mike Deak; Joe Of The Dead – Acting In A Romero Classic; Travelogue Of The Dead.

Disc Two (DVD)

The Many Days Of The Dead; Behind the Zombies footage; Romero Zombography;Photo Album of the Dead; Souvenirs of the Dead; Night Of The Living Dead trailer; Dawn Of The Dead trailer; TV Ads of the Dead; The Audio Recollections of Richard Liberty; Wampum Mine promo.

Also worth noting is Romero's sixth Dead film (Survival of the Dead) is out (Region B Locked) as well. It comes with a Slip cover.

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-03-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead - UK Releases (Arrow; Region Free)

Like you said, Dawn... looks really similar, which is a drag because the early screenshots that Arrow posted themselves were amazing...I mean, night and day (no pun intended).

Supposedly Arrow's release of Day... looks quite a bit better, but since I kind of hate the movie and already have the Anchor Bay release, I'm not in a hurry to find out.
Old 04-03-10, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Like you said, Dawn... looks really similar, which is a drag because the early screenshots that Arrow posted themselves were amazing...I mean, night and day (no pun intended).

Supposedly Arrow's release of Day... looks quite a bit better, but since I kind of hate the movie and already have the Anchor Bay release, I'm not in a hurry to find out.
The BS screenshots they supplied really pissed off people. I tried doing a little A/B comparison the other day, and didn't really notice much (if anything) that was different. The Arrow release does look a wee bit darker.

Day, regardless if the transfer is the same or not, will feature a DTS MA track that does not have the replacement dialog. I tried searching for the thread here, but when Day was re-released back in 2004 (?), they had replaced some audio. Apparently that has been fixed and the Arrow release features the original audio. I've warmed up to Day in the past few years.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...the-dead3.html

Arrow have gone above and beyond the call of duty with this Blu-ray transfer, correcting some audio glitches that present in previous DVD releases of Day of the Dead, most notably several instances of altered or re-recorded dialogue. A couple of questionable uses of language were altered in other releases, but they have been restored in this version.
For $20 each, I'm happy.
Old 04-03-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of hate the movie
How can you hate the original Day of the Dead????
Old 04-03-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Word. Day easily has the best effects work of all Romero's zombie films, and it rocks - big time. I might just have to import that BD.
Old 04-03-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ Word. Day easily has the best effects work of all Romero's zombie films, and it rocks - big time. I might just have to import that BD.
A lot of people don't like it (which I have no clue why). I love everything about it & will go as far as say it as a few of Romero's greatest scenes ever.
Old 04-03-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I really want to pick these up, but I'm hoping for a blu release of the extended cut of Dawn. Might just have to bite the bullet anyway.
Old 04-03-10, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Day of the Dead is disappointing compared to the original script, and it also contains much of the worst dialogue of the first three Dead films.

I have the Anchor Bay Day disc. Never bothered with the Dawn one, because I'm waiting for the ultimate edition.
Old 04-03-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Torchur317
How can you hate the original Day of the Dead????
Shrill, one-note cariactures gnawing on the scenery and bickering back and forth...not only is the dialogue clunky throughout, but pretty much all of it's SHOUTED, Steel cackling after every single line he has in the flick... I mean, I dig Bub and Doc Logan, and I absolutely agree about the effects, but...c'mon, there's barely any zombie action until the last fifteen minutes. I get that the point of the movie is that it's about people rather than zombies and that maybe what's left of civilization isn't worth saving, but all Romero did in the process was make me not want to suffer through the movie.

It's not the worst zombie movie I've ever suffered through (I mean, I own Hell of the Living Dead and Zombi 4), but I do think Day... is a talky, ham-fisted bore. I've pointed to it for years as the worst of Romero's zombie movies, but then Diary of the Dead came along.
Old 04-03-10, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Thought some people here might be interested to know that over in the UK, Arrow has released their own versions of the original Dawn and Day of the Dead. They are Blu-ray (A/B/C) and DVD (0) Region free. Ignore what Amazon.uk might say.
The DVD's are PAL?
Old 04-03-10, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SPRBD
The DVD's are PAL?
They are Region 0 and played fine in my BD390 (no audio issues). I'll try them out on my Insignia later.
Old 04-03-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might have to get those just for the cover artwork. It's fucking amazing.
Old 04-04-10, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
i might have to get those just for the cover artwork. It's fucking amazing.
+ 1
Old 04-04-10, 04:33 AM

Really tempted to get Day. I've always considered Day to be the best of the bunch.
Old 04-04-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shrill, one-note cariactures gnawing on the scenery and bickering back and forth...not only is the dialogue clunky throughout, but pretty much all of it's SHOUTED, Steel cackling after every single line he has in the flick... I mean, I dig Bub and Doc Logan, and I absolutely agree about the effects, but...c'mon, there's barely any zombie action until the last fifteen minutes. I get that the point of the movie is that it's about people rather than zombies and that maybe what's left of civilization isn't worth saving, but all Romero did in the process was make me not want to suffer through the movie.

It's not the worst zombie movie I've ever suffered through (I mean, I own Hell of the Living Dead and Zombi 4), but I do think Day... is a talky, ham-fisted bore. I've pointed to it for years as the worst of Romero's zombie movies, but then Diary of the Dead came along.
Agreed, you summed it up very well. Day of the Dead is a very tough watch for me.
Old 04-04-10, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Diary rocked! You go on my Ignore list now
Old 04-04-10, 03:12 PM

Personally I consider Day Romero's masterpiece.
Old 04-04-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Diary rocked! You go on my Ignore list now
Ha. I truly, honestly can't relate to the idea of anyone thinking Diary of the Dead is any good. A few people whose opinions I absolutely respect do admire it quite a bit, but...I just don't get it. It's not even a case where I can kind of see someone's perspective and I just don't happen to agree with it myself. I do dig the mute Amish guy, but other than that...? Man, it's just amateurish and anvilicious. The longer version: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35312/diary-of-the-dead/
Old 04-04-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

What kills Diary for me is all the CGI. I understand that some CGI might be needed for some scenes, but BLOOD!?!? Blood should never be CGI.
Old 04-05-10, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha. I truly, honestly can't relate to the idea of anyone thinking Diary of the Dead is any good. A few people whose opinions I absolutely respect do admire it quite a bit, but...I just don't get it. It's not even a case where I can kind of see someone's perspective and I just don't happen to agree with it myself. I do dig the mute Amish guy, but other than that...? Man, it's just amateurish and anvilicious. The longer version: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35312/diary-of-the-dead/
There were parts of it I liked. More than just the Amish guy. It's pretty problematic, though, and the ending is horrible.
Old 04-05-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
There were parts of it I liked.
I did think a few of the zombie attacks were pretty clever too, but man, for every bit I like, there are seven or eight "Tokyo! Verrrry bad here! Very bad! Tokyo!" or "Don't mess with Texas!" (followed by a banjo hootenany) to get in the way.
Old 04-05-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

JUst ordered. Awesome deal for these. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-05-10, 09:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

in regards to 'Day'

this commmentary is an exclusive (i.e, not on the US Anchor Bay edition):

Disc One (Blu-ray)

Theatrical feature; audio commentary with special effects team of Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger, Everett Burrell and Mike Deak
Old 04-06-10, 07:15 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

For the record, Day includes new stuff, but does NOT bring over everything from the US Blu-ray. Here's what it looks like isn't carried over:
#
Audio commentary by director/writer George A. Romero, special make-up effects artist Tom Savini, actress Lori Cardille and production designer Cletus Anderson
Audio commentary by filmmaker Roger Avery
"Day of the Dead: Behind the Scenes" -documentary (30:50)
"Gateway Commerce Center promotional video" (8:12)
Theatrical trailer #1 (2:03)
Theatrical trailer #2 (1:09)
Theatrical trailer #3 (1:58)
Old 04-06-10, 09:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I kind of hope a uber collector's edition of 'Day of the Dead' is released sometime in the near future - supposedly there are cut/deleted scenes, seen in still form, that were featured in Fangoria at the time of the film's initial release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.