Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits changed?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits changed?

Old 03-25-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since buying Blu-ray, I like my spending habits more:

I don't do any DVD blind buys anymore. The only DVDs that I mainly buy are import DVDs. The video/audio quality of Blu-rays have made me more selective. In the past, I would have normally bought the DVD of UP IN THE AIR because I just liked it, not loved it. But now since I only want a Blu-ray version, I just tell myself "Why would I want a movie like UP IN THE AIR on Blu-ray? It's not a spectacular visual film and it's a just good once kind of film". So in turn, I don't buy it on Blu-ray nor on DVD. And so far, the majority of the 13 Blu-rays that I currently own are replacements for my favorite movies that I had on DVD. The only Blu-ray that I never had on DVD is the Godfather Trilogy Blu-ray boxset (which I found used for 32 bucks).

I don't have the urge to spend 2-5 dollars on used DVDs as well when I know that I can use that money instead for purchasing a good Blu-ray. In turn, I've been enjoying the hunt for used Blu-ray upgrades of my favorite films online and used dvd/blu-ray stores which range in price from 5 to 15 bucks.

Basically before making an obsessive-compulsive purchase of a dvd or blu-ray, it's good to ask oneself "would I really want that on Blu-ray?" If no, then it's easy to put it back on the shelf.

As I look at the upcoming DVD/BLU-RAY release calendar until October 2010, I also don't see too many new movies that I would want to own now (besides the Armegeddon, Walkabout, Taxi Driver, and Dune Blu-ray upgrades, the only other new movie release on Blu-ray that I want is Avatar and The Book of Eli.)

How have your buying habits changed?

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-25-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits change

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
How have your buying habits changed?
I don't buy DVDs anymore.
Old 03-25-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits change

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I don't buy DVDs anymore.
This.
Old 03-25-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to really enjoy blind buys on DVD, but don't do that at all on BD. I also buy fewer movies overall, realizing that I don't watch the DVDs I do have.

One thing I haven't slowed down on are TV on DVD/Blu. The value there is immense.
Old 03-25-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

One thing I haven't slowed down on are TV on DVD/Blu. The value there is immense.
Amen to that. All that I've been watching the last couple of months are Perry Mason, Hawaii Five-O and Rockford Files.
Old 03-25-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy none of the former and plenty of the latter, aside from a scant few necessary exceptions.
Old 03-25-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't bought a single DVD since I purchased my first Blu-Ray (almost at 700 BD's now).

Actually, that's not true. I bought Big Love season 3 on DVD.
Old 03-25-10, 06:25 PM
Banned

I haven't bought a DVD in a while. Not against buying it but if it's a recent film or a film I may believe will get a release on Blu...that's where I'll go to Blu.

Ex. I'm debating atm to buy Spaced (you know....the Wright/Frost/Pegg geekathon that made them famous)....I really want it but....I dunno if it'll get on Blu anytime soon.
Old 03-25-10, 06:30 PM

Will rarely buy a DVD unless it's a movie I don't think is going to be out on Blu-Ray, such as a concert or a Classic movie. I've also sold off (and am selling off) just about every DVD I plan to replace with Blu-Ray and then I've listed all of those Blu-Rays on my wishlist for future holidays.
Old 03-25-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have become very frugal in my buying habits.

I used to grab an armload of DVDs and head for the checkout. Now, I am a bargain-hunter extraordinaire, rarely paying over $10 per title. It really chaps me that I am buying the same movies on Blu-ray that I previously bought on DVD, and in some cases, HD DVD. Plus, there is very little value in the used DVD market any more.

A recent exception was a blind buy of Where the Wild Things Are on Blu-ray. I should have stuck with my policy.
Old 03-25-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Extremely frugal now.

Don't buy DVDs unless they're rare or DVD only and I'm extremely selective over what Blu-rays I buy. I bought Inglourious Basterds and Hangover using the $5 off Target coupons ($15 a piece after) back in December and nothing since.

A few months ago I had no respect for what $15 actually was, once I saw a bill that added up to $350 in $15 - $20 charges, I decided to quit out right.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-25-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only dvds I buy are some selective R2 Japanese titles. The rest are all blu-rays.

I've also been very picky about the Blu-rays I buy since I can't forget the realization that I bought so much dvds before and only had more than a handful of repeated viewings.

The only Bluray blind buy I did was Mad Men Season 1 and was incredibly pleased with it.
Old 03-25-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Currently it's 98% v. 2% BD to DVD.

Save for this last week, this year has been slow for BDs I've truly been interested in. March and May have been "packed" with only four or five must-get-on-release-date titles each.

Of the 15 or so pre-orders I currently have only two are DVDs -- No Time for Sergeants and Three Stooges, Volume 8. There's likely less than 10 DVDs still on my radar for the year and those are largely TV series (It's Always Sunny..., 30 Rock, Larry Sanders, Max Headroom) or Criterion titles without a BD counterpart (Night Train to Munich, The Fugitive Kind).
Old 03-25-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty much what other have mentioned.... more frugal... will buy a few DVDs vs more Blu... yadda yadda yadda.
Old 03-25-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

85% of my purchases are still DVD's. I have pretty much all of the Blu-Rays that I want and there's not much coming out on BD that really interests me. I only upgrade DVD's to BD if there are new special features.
Old 03-25-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Basically before making an obsessive-compulsive purchase of a dvd or blu-ray, it's good to ask oneself "would I really want that on Blu-ray?" If no, then it's easy to put it back on the shelf.
I don't really see Blu-Ray as some separate type of purchase. Doesn't matter if it's a visual effects movie or a small drama, its all blu for me. That said, I always try and be selective. I've currently got about 350 movies (275 blu), so I'm trying to keep the collection within reason. When my DVD's started approaching 500 yrs ago I really had to rethink it. No sagging bookshelves crammed with collectors sets for me.
Old 03-25-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably buy 60% vs. 40% BD to DVD.

Mostly because much of what I like (Exploitation/Horror) is mostly available on DVD but not as much on BD.
Old 03-25-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty frugal now too. I used to purchase movies every week almost. Now it's only the ones I really want (Vivra Sa Vie) or ones I find ridiculously cheap (Vicky Christina Barcelona). The only DVDs I purchase are Criterions and even then Criterion has been awesome with their Blu-ray output.

I used to be like the OP and only purchase movies on Blu-ray that were "visually stunning" but then I went to HTF where they all worshipped Crank and I decided that was not for me.
Old 03-25-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a lot easier to pass up the $5 DVD selections, for one. Instead of cheap blind buys, we're actually using our Netflix account. Just since adding Blu-ray service to our Netflix account in February, we've rented five Blu-rays. We've also rented five DVDs in the same time, but those are titles that aren't on Blu-ray; we very likely would have taken much longer to get around to watching them. Prior to going Blu, our Netflix account was that "giant sucking sound" Ross Perot warned about in '92.

One more thing is, we've done a much better job watching what we buy. I don't just mean that we've been more selective; I mean we're actually watching the Blu-rays. Of the 35 in our library, we've watched all but six so far. One of those remaining six is Eyes Wide Shut, a favorite of mine but not one I'm likely to re-watch often anyway. (I just couldn't help picking it up for $12 last December when it was on sale!)

The only negative trend is that I've really slacked off on watching bonus features. In the last year or so, I'd gotten into the habit of watching the movie on the widescreen TV in the living room and watching the bonus features on the old 4:3 TV in the bedroom at night while my wife fell asleep. It gave me something to do between running to the bathroom and not falling asleep, and she liked that I was there with her in bed instead of out in the living room at night.
Old 03-25-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I buy visually impressive movies, the major classics, and my favorite movies on Blu-Ray, and when I find the same titles cheap used I get them on DVD. Everything else is still DVD. Even having said that, if I can get a good DVD deal, I'll still grab it. Snagged Speed Racer for $3 the other day on DVD, despite the Blu-Ray being out of this world.
Old 03-25-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Netflix has cut my blind buys down to zero, so I can't attribute this to BD.

On the DVD front - I'm a sucker for certain deals like the recent Miami Vice complete collection on Woot for $40 and certain releases likely to ever see the BD day like the Japanese Rica trilogy. But for everything else my eyes are firmly planted on an eventual BD release if required.

On the BD front - I've upgraded a select few DVDs but limiting to just that unless I can whittle a deal like the recent Toy Box releases for $8/pc. Pixar films, some anime, sci-fi and favorites are all I'm picking up on BD for new releases.

What I usually do when deciding to upgrade is watch the DVD release on my set up and if the results are satisfactory I'll pass on the BD releases. For instance, the upcoming Yojimbo and Sanjuro releases. I'd love to pick them up indiscriminately but instead I weigh out the cost benefits. If it's a type of film that I believe only has the potential for being viewed two or three times for the rest of my life I'm not going to upgrade it.

After 11 years of collecting a blu-ray player (received this past Xmas) has really opened up my collection (for upscaled DVD and BD) but I'm much more conservative with my spending and have adjusted my collecting habits accordingly.
Old 03-25-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yet another Toddly question thread....

I guess it's better than my threads, which nobody ever answers.....

For me, it just depends on the price and quantity. "Moon" I got on DVD because the BD/DVD extras were the same, and the price was much lower. "UP" had a huge quantity of extras not on the DVD and it was just as cheap, or possibly cheaper than the DVD.

I still have only 40 BDs as opposed to 2000 DVDs, and the BDs are not re-buys.
Old 03-25-10, 09:16 PM

I buy mostly dvd still. But if there is a bluray or a bluray coming then I will get the bluray. Otherwise it's dvd
Old 03-25-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to buy everything. Now I rent everything on Blu-ray and if I think it's a keeper I'll pick it up at some point. I haven't purchased a regular DVD in a couple years.
Old 03-25-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very rarely buy DVDs, it's almost all Blu. And being an early adopter, I certainly don't wait for a sale if I really want something, I buy it on release date, that hasn't changed. The product > The bargain.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.