Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits changed?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits changed?

Old 03-28-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits change

I rarely if ever buy a DVD unless its just being released now on DVD and it's doubtful it'll be released on Blu Ray (I mean if its first debuting now on DVD, pretty slim chances it'll be on Blu in the near future). Some TV shows and wrestling discs I'll still buy on DVD.

As for Blu Rays, I keep an eye out for deals and try to keep new releases at $15 or less out of pocket, although some titles I'm looking to replace the DVD of I might hold off till its sub $10.
Old 03-28-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Now that you own a Blu-ray player, how have your DVD/Blu-ray buying habits change

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I don't buy DVDs anymore.
I do not think I have bought a DVD in over a year now, well one or two TV shows that only came out on DVD - IE Monk...

I only spend my hard earned money on BRs that I going to watch over and over again.

Just watched Toy Story 2 and it just comfirms how awesome BR can be.

Even if a movie is not planned well for BR or was not shot on very good film stock (Terminator/Red Heat), the movie has always looked much better on BR than it did on DVD.
Old 03-28-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blu-ray is doing what I feared - It's making DVDs look blurry now. Anyone else notice this? This is why I was against Blu-ray in the beginning. Now I have the urge to buy all the movies again that I bought on DVD that I didn't even watch.
Old 03-28-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I told myself when I bought my first blu-ray player last May that I would only buy newer movies on Blu but after seeing how bad DVD"s looked compared to Blu, even crappy releases, I couldnt help but sell over 400 dvd's i had and now I am up to 300+ Blu's. I finally broke down and bought an LED tv last week so my blu's could look their best. I have only bought 2 dvd's in the past year almost. One was Star Wars Robot Chicken 2 and John Carpenter's Elvis. Now I just need to upgrade the rest of my 100 or so DVD's as soon as their Blu's come out, if ever. Now I just need to get a TruHD/DTSMaster reciever in the near future for optimal surround sound.
Old 03-28-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Blu-ray is doing what I feared - It's making DVDs look blurry now. Anyone else notice this? This is why I was against Blu-ray in the beginning. Now I have the urge to buy all the movies again that I bought on DVD that I didn't even watch.
So far, I would characterize my experience as being more along the lines of noticing Blu-ray more, rather than seeing DVD exposed as inferior. My DirecTV feed, on the other hand, looks horrible to me now, and it didn't when we just watched DVDs.
Old 03-28-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I used to really enjoy blind buys on DVD, but don't do that at all on BD. I also buy fewer movies overall, realizing that I don't watch the DVDs I do have.

One thing I haven't slowed down on are TV on DVD/Blu. The value there is immense.
Same as this guy. There was a time I was a blind-buying fool with my DVD collection well over 1500. Now I sold way more than half my DVD collection & rarely blind-buy on Blu-Ray anymore. I also only buy movies I know I will watch numerous times.

I also agree on the TV on Blu, I literally watch no TV while its on the air, I never have, so I love the quality of TV shows visually on Blu.

There was also a time where if a crazy special edition of a DVD came out with exclusive packaging or extras I would have to have that edition. Now, I couldn't care less, in fact I laugh at the people going nuts over that stuff. The advent of Blu-Ray has really made me realize all that matters is the AQ & PQ of a film. I couldn't care less what a box looks like sitting on my shelf collecting dust.
Old 03-28-10, 05:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
There was also a time where if a crazy special edition of a DVD came out with exclusive packaging or extras I would have to have that edition. Now, I couldn't care less, in fact I laugh at the people going nuts over that stuff. The advent of Blu-Ray has really made me realize all that matters is the AQ & PQ of a film.
Please take no offense, but similarly, I laugh at people who think that AQ and PQ are all that matters. The story is 90% of the equation for me.

Sure, I prefer blu on the very few films where there is the choice, but I enjoy a film on a small B&W television almost as much as in an IMAX theater.
Old 03-28-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was also a time where if a crazy special edition of a DVD came out with exclusive packaging or extras I would have to have that edition. Now, I couldn't care less, in fact I laugh at the people going nuts over that stuff. The advent of Blu-Ray has really made me realize all that matters is the AQ & PQ of a film. I couldn't care less what a box looks like sitting on my shelf collecting dust.
So far, Blu-ray buyers have generally been lavished with bonus features, whether they care for them or not. We're getting on Blu-ray what used to be the 2-disc Special Edition DVD version by default. As for exclusive versions, I was happy to get the Walmart exclusive version of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen because it included the morphing aspect ratio for the IMAX scenes.

I actually watch bonus features, and I don't mind admitting that I balk at barebones releases...and I won't be won over by AQ/PQ into being satisfied with such a release. For instance, I have absolutely no intention of buying Paranormal Activity on Blu-ray or DVD because there are no features. I just can't get on board with buying a feature-less disc of a movie where I know for a fact they shot more than 70 hours of footage. There are bound to be some interesting alternate takes, maybe even a gag reel amongst all that didn't make the final cut(s).

Worst of all, there's not even a commentary from Oren Peli! He wrote it, directed it, cut it, casted it and was its director of photography. Fans wet themselves over a movie being "a director's vision" when they only direct it; this guy wore all those hats and doesn't even get a commentary track?
Old 03-28-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Please take no offense, but similarly, I laugh at people who think that AQ and PQ are all that matters. The story is 90% of the equation for me.
You completely misunderstood what I wrote. This thread isn't about the content of a film itself, so I wasn't referring to that. I thought that was a given, but you seemed to have missed the point. This is a "blu-ray" thread, so in comparison to a film on DVD or Blu-Ray, I always want the version with the better AQ & PQ. This isn't a thread to discuss the story or acting of a film so I was never referring to that. Obviously that is what is most important, but that is irrelevant to this thread.
Old 03-28-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blind Buys:
When I first started really collecting DVDs I would blind buy stuff like nobody's business if I thought I would enjoy the movie or TV Show. I am lucky in that I haven't really been burnt on blind-buying in the past; some of the TV Shows and Movies I blind bought are now some of my favourite DVDs I own.

As I have started putting money toward building my Blu-ray collection as well as maintaining my DVD collection I have blind bought much less. I blind buy very little, if anything, on Blu-ray and have limited my DVD blind-buys as well; that's money that could instead go toward a Blu-ray purchase. The exception will obviously be if I can find a Blu-ray for like $6.99 (Grace) or a DVD for a few bucks.

Two notable exceptions are Lost and Battlestar Galactica, where I blind bought them on Blu-ray because I got a good deal and based upon great word of mouth from people whose opinions I trust on quality TV programming. I've since been through the entirety of Battlestar Galactica and enjoyed it immensely in HD. I'll be going through Lost on HD over the summer and I expect to enjoy it as well.

Double Dipping:
I don't mean upgrading a title from DVD to Blu-ray, but instead multiple copies of the same movie on the same format. With DVD I would get many titles more than once, whether it be special editions on release day or re-releases. With Blu-ray, I don't anticipate them offering many double dips, nor do I anticipate getting something more than once. I think the only thing I do own more than one copy of is Watchmen, and that is only because I am a big fan of the graphic novel and movie.

TV Shows:
This is one area where there just aren't that many Blu-ray releases and so for the most part my Blu-ray collection is composed of movies instead of TV Shows. I find that some of my favourite DVDs are TV Shows that I can revisit often. While I am happy to buy movies on Blu-ray, I find that most TV Shows I enjoy (if they were released on Blu-ray) I might just opt for the DVD anyway (especially if I have been getting the previous season on DVD anyway - See The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, My Name Is Earl, etc.)

Some exceptions to this are shows where I think the show would greatly benefit from the HD Treatment. Battlestar Galactica is an obvious example of that, and I suspect Lost will look fantastic in HD as well. I also picked up Weeds on Blu-ray because the first season is Widescreen as opposed to the DVD release being Full Frame.

Special Editions, Packaging, etc.
One thing I love about Blu-rays is the uniformity in packaging. As such, I have really tried to avoid any sort of special packaging that would disrupt the uniformity. One thing I can't stand are the digibooks they release; there are several titles I want on Blu-ray but will wait to add them to my collection until they are released in the standard Blu-ray cases.

Obviously there are some exceptions to that as well (Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series, The Vengeance Trilogy Tin, etc.), but for the most part I love when I look at my Blu-ray collection and see everything the same height with the spines all lined up. The Pixar SteelBooks are another exception.

First-Time Purchases and Upgrades:
Having a fairly large collection of DVDs there is the obvious situation where I will want a movie on Blu-ray that I already have on DVD. That being said, just because it comes out on Blu-ray doesn't mean I am going to get it, especially if I already have it on DVD. Where I am upgrading I tend to upgrade in a few situations: favourite movies, particular actors or directors or franchises, and movies that I think will benefit from the HD upgrade (animated, action, adventure, etc.)

I have also found Blu-ray the perfect format to finally get some stuff I have seen and wanted, but never quite new which version to get or never got around to buying it. This would include some of your more classic titles like The Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Stanley Kubrick Films, etc.

New-to-DVD and New-to-Blu-ray:
When presented with the chance to purchase a new release on Blu-ray or DVD it really depends which format I will choose.

Sometimes I will purchase the movie on both DVD and Blu-ray. I do this for movies where I already own the entirety of the director or franchise on DVD. For example, I already own the majority of the Disney catalog on DVD so in order to keep my collection complete I picked up The Princess And The Frog on DVD and Blu-ray. I did the same for Inglourious Basterds as well as Up. These are titles that I want on DVD to keep my collection up-to-date, but want on Blu-ray for the superior quality of the product.

Some of the new stuff I get on DVD instead of Blu-ray is because I already own related products on DVD and don't feel I necessarily need it on Blu-ray. Other times it is because the DVD is significantly cheaper.

Some new titles I will only get on Blu-ray because I feel the movie necessitates watching it on HD or because I can get it for the same price as the DVD.

These new releases are harder to explain in terms of what I get and what I don't, but believe me, there is a method to my madness.
Old 03-28-10, 08:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

You completely misunderstood what I wrote. This thread isn't about the content of a film itself, so I wasn't referring to that. I thought that was a given, but you seemed to have missed the point. This is a "blu-ray" thread, so in comparison to a film on DVD or Blu-Ray, I always want the version with the better AQ & PQ. This isn't a thread to discuss the story or acting of a film so I was never referring to that. Obviously that is what is most important, but that is irrelevant to this thread.
No, this thread is about about more than just DVD vs BD AV quality, hence the thread title.

I might have misinterpreted the emphasis of your comment, but only because I didn't realize that you were commenting on one small part of the DVD vs BD equation.

Things like selection, portability, packaging, and cost are also huge factors.
Old 03-28-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, my habits changed from buying a shit-load of dvds to buying a shit-load of Blu-Rays.