Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Pacific (HBO)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Pacific (HBO)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pacific (HBO)

During the Atlanta premiere of the HBO ten-part "miniseries event" The Pacific, it was announced that it will be available for purchase on Father's Day weekend, which probably means a release date of June 15, a mere month after the last episode airs. Although only DVD was explicitly mentioned in the announcement, it clearly will come out in high-def as well, as the HBO website already features DVD and Blu-ray versions. No other release details are available at this early stage.
Old 03-15-10, 02:34 PM

re: The Pacific (HBO)

I'm definitely in for this, although it seems weird that the would announce this right after it premiered. For those still thinking about paying for HBO for a few months (like myself) will simply now save their money and buy it when it comes out.
Old 03-15-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Definitely interested, but I'll likely wait until later in the year for a 50% off HBO DVD/BD sale at Best Buy.
Old 03-15-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will put this on my birthday/Father's Day list. Hopefully the Blu hits the same day
Old 03-15-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was considering picking up HBO for this series. But not if it will be out in June. Makes me wonder how accurate that is.
Old 03-15-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I was considering picking up HBO for this series. But not if it will be out in June. Makes me wonder how accurate that is.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If I don't have to wait 9 months to a year for the release, then I'll definitely check it out on video instead of broadcast. And if it's anywhere near as good as Band of Brothers, I'll probably buy it blind.
Old 03-15-10, 08:34 PM
Banned

I was stoked to see this announced. Dont have HBO so I had to watch it online. HBO has the first on their website
Old 03-15-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Will put this on my birthday/Father's Day list. Hopefully the Blu hits the same day
i hope so as well - generation kill came out on BD months after the SD release, but IIRC, in time for the christmas sale.
Old 03-15-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
The Pacific Blu-ray Release in Time for Father's Day

During the Atlanta premiere of the HBO ten-part "miniseries event" The Pacific, it was announced that it will be available for purchase on Father's Day weekend, which probably means a release date of June 15, a mere month after the last episode airs. Although only DVD was explicitly mentioned in the announcement, it clearly will come out in high-def as well, as the HBO website already features DVD and Blu-ray versions. No other release details are available at this early stage.

The Pacificwas produced by Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and Gary Goetzman, like the Emmy-winning miniseries Band of Brothers. It aims to deliver a realistic portrait of WWII's Pacific Theatre as lived by three US Marines, from Guadalcanal to Peleliu to Okinawa. It is based on two books by USMC veterans: With the Old Breedby Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillowby Robert Leckie.

Thanks to forum member "wolffuncut".
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4290
Old 03-15-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Pacific Blu-ray Release in Time for Father's Day

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570...june-15th.html
Old 03-16-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

D'oh!
Old 03-16-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Really looking forward to this as I love Band Of Brothers and don't have HBO.
Old 03-16-10, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Strong 1st episode this week.

Will buy the set, but probably not right away at HBO's outrageous prices.
Old 03-16-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kms_md
i hope so as well - generation kill came out on BD months after the SD release, but IIRC, in time for the christmas sale.
The Pacific has a bit more of a need for BD imo.
Old 03-17-10, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not so fast I guess....from blu-ray.com

The Pacific Blu-ray Not as Soon as Expected

HBO After information recently posted regarding an upcoming Blu-ray release of the HBO miniseries The Pacific, the studio has requested the removal of the video mentioning that the miniseries would be released on disc in time for Father's Day. HBO also clarifies that, while an exact release date has not been announced, it will not come out "any earlier than the second half of the year."
Old 03-17-10, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Re: The Pacific (HBO)

Whoa - thanks mods!
Old 03-17-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dang. I was getting ready to mark the date on my calendar.
Old 03-17-10, 02:26 PM
Banned by request

I pondered it - but as every HBO miniseries always drops significantly in price, I'm happy with just DVR-ing them in HD until the set is at a decent price like Band of Brothers. As much as I love (or hopefully will love) The Pacific, not the $99.99 kind of love. I can wait - for a little while.
Old 03-18-10, 12:13 AM

The Sunday evening HBO telecast looked as good on my Comcast feed as Comcast has ever looked. If the quality holds up I can live with re-watching the series on my TiVo for a while.

But I'll also say that the BoB BD set was a fabulous package, with outstanding bonus material. I don't expect The Pacific to make it down to $35 any time soon, or even any time in the next 2 years, but I'd pay $50 for it in a heartbeat if the extras are on anything like BoB's level.
Old 03-24-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here appears to be the reason for the Father's Day rumor.

It looks like Band of Brothers will be re-released on June 1 with a pack-on disc for The Pacific (generic featurette or an episode or two?).
Old 05-19-10, 09:16 AM
Banned by request

The full series of The Pacific is now up for pre-order on Amazon - $69.99 with a list of $99.99. Looks like I'll be waiting for a holiday sale on this one. No release date yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=bluray-032-20
Old 05-19-10, 10:19 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're planning on blind buying this because you liked Band of Brothers I suggest you read the threads on The Pacific in the TV Talk forum here at DVDTalk. I wouldn't say the general consensus is negative, but it's decidedly less enthusiastic about the series than BoB.
Old 06-08-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Looks like it's coming on November 2nd and it also looks like the packaging is just like Band of Brothers':

Old 06-08-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Looks like it's coming on November 2nd and it also looks like the packaging is just like Band of Brothers':

I'm not surprised that they would go with a similar sort of packaging...
Old 06-09-10, 08:01 AM
Banned by request

And from blu-ray.com, the offerings:

Special features include:

* The Pacific Enhanced Viewing: with Enhanced Viewing, a 10-part, 10-hour, picture-in-picture experience makes it possible to learn more about the Marines and gain a deeper historical understanding of the battles while watching the miniseries. Exclusive content includes interviews with historians and veterans, archival footage, maps and more.
* The Pacific Field Guide: allows viewers to navigate through the major events featured in The Pacific in this standalone, interactive Field Guide. Search within to view exclusive content including animated maps, extensive interviews with historians and veterans, historical footage, photographs and more.
* Historical Backgrounds: the five-minute prologues that set the stage for each episode and additional historical footage narrated by Tom Hanks.
* Making The Pacific: go behind the scenes and take an inside look at the making of this miniseries.
* Profiles of The Pacific: delve into the lives of the real Marines featured in The Pacific. Get a personal perspective on their families, their war experience and their lives after the war in these intimate portraits.
* Anatomy of the Pacific War: explore the historical influences and cultural perceptions that led to the merciless brutality in the Pacific theater of World War II.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.