Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Old 06-26-13, 10:38 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 29,921
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's not about saturation. It's about being entirely the wrong color.

To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.
It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 06-26-13, 11:10 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My projector is calibrated to a DeltaE of less than 1. What I'm seeing are the colors encoded in the transfer.

It's not about saturation. It's about being entirely the wrong color.



To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.
I get that it's not correct. But the use of the word gaudy does not bring to mind what I see here. If you'd said it now looks muted compared the warmer tones it originally exhibited, I'd agree. And I do prefer the original colors but, to be honest, the newer ones don't bother me as I thought they would. Not even the remixed audio bothers me.

On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?
RocShemp is offline  
Old 06-26-13, 11:20 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,424
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.
Artman is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:01 AM
  #129  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,061
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?
It's the same mix as the DVD and the last Blu-ray.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:04 AM
  #130  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,061
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.
I watched the disc on my projector, not just looked at screenshots. While perhaps not as bad as the Aliens Blu-ray (which has virtually no other colors in the entire movie now except teal and orange), The Terminator has been unmistakably tealed throughout.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 12:48 PM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Cabin in the Woods
Posts: 862
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.
I'm not even sure we quite won that war. I see plenty of tweaks, that while minor, aren't the OAR.
LPMA is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:43 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,382
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

A 20th anny comic con panel has been announced for The X-Files so maybe we will get an announcement for the BDs then.
stvn1974 is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 08:11 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,647
Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
A 20th anny comic con panel has been announced for The X-Files so maybe we will get an announcement for the BDs then.
They've wanted to get a third movie off the ground for some time...
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 10-21-14, 11:20 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

So... any news?

I was also waiting for Solaris 2002 in addition to True Lies and Abyss.

(sorry if this bump led some to think I had actual news).
Ranger is offline  
Old 10-21-14, 11:24 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,313
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Ask Bill Hunt. He knows all.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 12:08 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
I think that, in order, the OOT will come out, Aliens will get its real wash removed, 35mm will make a comeback, these will come out, Richard Dawkins will convert to religion, and then I will be on a date with a beautiful woman . In all seriousness, Cameron is so tied up with Pocahontas 3-D that he likely won't be supervising the transfers for these anytime soon, especially with the physical media market about as profitable as selling water to a drowning man.
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 12:49 AM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
(sorry if this bump led some to think I had actual news).
This does, in fact, suck. If anyone had any news it would have been posted immediately.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 03:31 AM
  #138  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,718
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I think that, in order, the OOT will come out, Aliens will get its real wash removed, 35mm will make a comeback, these will come out, Richard Dawkins will convert to religion, and then I will be on a date with a beautiful woman . In all seriousness, Cameron is so tied up with Pocahontas 3-D that he likely won't be supervising the transfers for these anytime soon, especially with the physical media market about as profitable as selling water to a drowning man.
Van Ling is on the case as far as True Lies and The Abyss go. Hell, those have been in the BD/HD can for quite a while. It's just up to the studio to release them.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 08:19 AM
  #139  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

damn the bump to this thread.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 03:02 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,917
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Eventually.....
b2net is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 03:46 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
mike45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,309
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Abyss and True Lies blu-ray will be released after JC releases newer versions of Avatar and Titanic. So don't hold your breath.
mike45 is offline  
Old 10-22-14, 04:03 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,382
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

True Lies, The Abyss, Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair and Star Wars The Original Trilogy Theatrical Version box set is going to make next week a killer on the wallet.
stvn1974 is online now  
Old 11-16-15, 04:57 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 11,992
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

So Fox put this on their Facebook page a few days ago...zero details however.

E Unit is online now  
Old 11-16-15, 05:26 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,580
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not rush these things. Remember when the first version came out and they announced the 5 Star version? Everyone was mad they did that right on the heals of the first release and would have to double dip. I guess they needn't have worried.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 11-16-15, 05:33 PM
  #145  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Fucking hell. That was such a great film.

I'm still amazed it was a remake. Didn't even know that till one of you lot mentioned it.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 11-16-15, 06:28 PM
  #146  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 35,856
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Fucking hell. That was such a great film.

I'm still amazed it was a remake. Didn't even know that till one of you lot mentioned it.
True Lies is a remake? of what?

i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-16-15, 07:04 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 20,685
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
True Lies is a remake? of what? i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...
A French film called La Totale!

(The exclamation point is part of the title.)
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 11-16-15, 07:44 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,580
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
True Lies is a remake? of what?

i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...
I got rid of the original DVD years ago when the BR seemed like a no brainer.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 11-16-15, 11:11 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
A French film called La Totale!

(The exclamation point is part of the title.)
It'd be cool if that was an extra in SD on the new BD, though I doubt it could be for legal reasons. To my knowledge, the French film never got a US release, even on video.

Frankly, because of my Vudu copy of True Lies (and the inevitable teal wash), I'm kind of more interested in The Abyss. True Lies has apparently disappeared from Vudu though.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-17-15 at 11:02 AM.
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  
Old 11-17-15, 11:29 AM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,061
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

If, as has long been the rumor, James Cameron grew disenchanted with True Lies after the real terrorism events on 9/11, it seems highly unlikely that this right now would be the week he changes his mind about it.
Josh Z is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.