DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570752-cameron-talks-avatar-redux-3d-titanic-abyss-true-lies-blu-ray.html)

bunkaroo 09-05-13 02:50 PM

Re: The Abyss on Blu-ray (March 14, 2014?)

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 11822001)
Why haven't we heard more about those anamorphic releases, then? Are they garbage encodes, or what? Did anyone import that region 6 ABYSS, and is there any report as to improved PQ?

Google for Abyss region 6 DVD you should find a thread at AVS.

I think at this point in the game, people are waiting for the Blu-ray. If it were 2009 or earlier, I'd probably bite on the import. But now there's no point in a stop-gap. I already have a pretty decent OAR HD recording of True Lies from HDnet Movies.

Dan 09-05-13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by LPMA (Post 11821602)
I don't know if my edition was different than everyone else's (Canadian edition, maybe?) but I skipped through the chapters and all of it was anamorphic...

Originally Posted by LPMA (Post 11821725)

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 11821875)
but still no hits I can find on an anamorphic Canadian version.

Yeah, the disc LPMA linked to is definitely NOT anamorphic. It's 2.35:1 letterboxed. That edition came out when I worked at a retail store that carried it and it was one of the first things I checked because I was going to buy it if it actually was anamorphic.

LPMA 09-05-13 05:25 PM

Sorry about the confusion, I just popped the disc in and when saw the image wasn't pillarboxed, I didn't question any further. I had to pop it in the computer to actually realize this was possibly the first instance of my sound system's "auto fit" function to do shit.

OldBoy 09-05-13 09:49 PM

this thread makes me sad :(

hanshotfirst1138 09-05-13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s (Post 11821167)
It's interesting how the home video status of Abyss/True Lies generates next to no outrage when they've so far had the same treatment as the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars films. What a difference spite makes.

Um, maybe because there is only one version of True Lies and you can get an anamorphic version overseas, and both versions of The Abyss are on the disc and Cameron hasn't tried to suppress them in an Orwellian way, insisting that the first version "doesn't exist?" And I'd have to imagine there's every reason to believe that this will come out eventually, and Cameron hasn't gone mangling the original film prints.

mcnabb 09-06-13 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11822578)
Um, maybe because there is only one version of True Lies and you can get an anamorphic version overseas, and both versions of The Abyss are on the disc and Cameron hasn't tried to suppress them in an Orwellian way, insisting that the first version "doesn't exist?" And I'd have to imagine there's every reason to believe that this will come out eventually, and Cameron hasn't gone mangling the original film prints.

From what I heard, Cameron is re-editing some scenes with Michael Biehn, so he doesn't shoot first in 'The Abyss' as he feels he should not be perceived as a cold blooded killer in the movie. ;)

kidglov3s 09-06-13 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11822578)

Hence what a difference spite makes. People are more/less ok with neglect, but spite brings the claws out. I really don't think there's a good reason to believe we won't eventually have quality releases of the Star Wars films. My thought was more that right now materially if you've purchased a R1 DVD of Horses, Star Wars (1977), True Lies, The Abyss, Rollerball or Alice's Restaurant you have a product of a certain level of quality and everyone kind of makes due with all of those but one.

And the only reason I'm writing you this post now is cause you may know a film in a similar situation. Your favorite film may be in a similar situation, and if it's a situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's to write an email or go on facebook or twitter, whatever, just go on and say "I can't get anything that I want, at Alice's restaurant." You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't do anything. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're a couple of geeks and they won't do anything. If three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people posting about Alice's Restaurant. They may think it's an Organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said, fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

Josh Z 09-06-13 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 11822001)
Why haven't we heard more about those anamorphic releases, then? Are they garbage encodes, or what? Did anyone import that region 6 ABYSS, and is there any report as to improved PQ?

As I recall, the Region 6 DVD of The Abyss was encoded as anamorphic, but was later proven to be merely upconverted from the non-anamorphic letterbox transfer. It's also PAL.

True Lies I believe had a genuine anamorphic DVD in some PAL territories (Australia got one, I think), but the transfer wasn't sanctioned by James Cameron or Lightstorm.

hanshotfirst1138 09-06-13 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s (Post 11823065)
Hence what a difference spite makes. People are more/less ok with neglect, but spite brings the claws out.

I do see what you're saying, Lucas has specifically chosen to suppress his versions, whereas Cameron has simply neglected the films. I think he will eventually release them properly when he's not so busy with all of the Avatar stuff. Hopefully sooner

I really don't think there's a good reason to believe we won't eventually have quality releases of the Star Wars films.
Maybe Disney will do it, I'd love nothing more, I assure you.

My thought was more that right now materially if you've purchased a R1 DVD of Horses, Star Wars (1977), True Lies, The Abyss, Rollerball or Alice's Restaurant you have a product of a certain level of quality and everyone kind of makes due with all of those but one.

And friends they may thinks it's a movement.
I've long since come to the conclusion that while many film fans online may care about these things, the mainstream public just buy it and don't ask questions. The Star Wars situation is pretty unique, but there are plenty of films that have gotten of ill treatment on home video in various different ways

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11823212)
True Lies I believe had a genuine anamorphic DVD in some PAL territories (Australia got one, I think), but the transfer wasn't sanctioned by James Cameron or Lightstorm.

I think the German version is anamorphic and has some extras that the US release doesn't.

zyzzle 09-06-13 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=Josh Z;11823212]As I recall, the Region 6 DVD of The Abyss was encoded as anamorphic, but was later proven to be merely upconverted from the non-anamorphic letterbox transfer. It's also PAL.

Well, then it's a useless transfer, as I suspected. 4% PAL speed-up *and* upconvert == BARF.

Bring on the 35+ Mbps Blu-ray, please! ABYSS and TRUE LIES will look fantastic in 1080p, provided the color timing is true to the original theatricals and not tweaked, but I'm 'expecting' Cameron will tweak it as is his custom.

orangerunner 10-07-13 03:16 PM

Re: The Abyss on Blu-ray ever?

Here's an odd thing that happened to me...

I took my copy of The Abyss and played it in my Sony BDPS360 player onto my 16:9 TV.

The FBI warning, menu and the film itself filled up the entire 16:9 screen as if it were an anamorphic title. The only item that showed as being 4:3 pillarboxed was the 20th Century Fox Home Video logo.

I check the settings on my TV and ran through all of them: "Cinema", "Normal", "Zoomed" etc. and they all filled the screen, no pillarboxing occurred.

I checked the disc files on the computer and everything was labelled as 4:3 except for the FBI logo which was 16:9.

I took the disc out and put it in my HDDVD player and that machine played the disc in 4:3 pillarboxed and only filled the screen in the "zoom" setting.

I thought I would try an experiment and took a DVD copy of Fatal Beauty which is a 4:3 letterboxed title (same as The Abyss), played it back in my Sony Blu-ray and it played back as pillarboxed, which it should.

I tried the title "big", which is also 4:3 letterboxed and it did the same thing as The Abyss. It gave the impression of being 16:9 anamorphic even though it wasn't.

Is this something with the combination of Fox DVD encoding and my Sony Blu-ray player that it zooms the image no matter what setting your TV is on giving the (false) impression of it being anamorphic?

Strange...

Is there something I am overlooking?

whotony 10-07-13 05:55 PM

Not sure what your question is but if its why doesnt the movie play as if it was 16x9 anamorphic enhanced it is because it is not. As mentioned just a few p8sts back and a few times in this topic only the menu is enhanced.

TheBang 10-07-13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 11863702)

Check your "Video Settings" on your player. It should be set to the following:

TV Type: 16:9
Screen Format: Original
DVD Aspect Ratio: Letter Box

Josh-da-man 10-07-13 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 11863702)
Here's an odd thing that happened to me...

I took my copy of The Abyss and played it in my Sony BDPS360 player onto my 16:9 TV.

The FBI warning, menu and the film itself filled up the entire 16:9 screen as if it were an anamorphic title. The only item that showed as being 4:3 pillarboxed was the 20th Century Fox Home Video logo.

I check the settings on my TV and ran through all of them: "Cinema", "Normal", "Zoomed" etc. and they all filled the screen, no pillarboxing occurred.

I checked the disc files on the computer and everything was labelled as 4:3 except for the FBI logo which was 16:9.

I took the disc out and put it in my HDDVD player and that machine played the disc in 4:3 pillarboxed and only filled the screen in the "zoom" setting.

I thought I would try an experiment and took a DVD copy of Fatal Beauty which is a 4:3 letterboxed title (same as The Abyss), played it back in my Sony Blu-ray and it played back as pillarboxed, which it should.

I tried the title "big", which is also 4:3 letterboxed and it did the same thing as The Abyss. It gave the impression of being 16:9 anamorphic even though it wasn't.

Is this something with the combination of Fox DVD encoding and my Sony Blu-ray player that it zooms the image no matter what setting your TV is on giving the (false) impression of it being anamorphic?

Strange...

I think that certain non-anamorphic DVDs are somehow flagged to automatically zoom on certain players.

I have noticed this on a couple of my DVDs. My copy of Halloween H20, which is non-anamorphic, would play zoomed when I put it in my Sony blu-ray player. My player was an S360, the same as yours. Other non-enhanced titles would play pillarboxed or windowboxed just as you would expect.

So, no, you're not crazy, and your player settings are good. I've seen the same thing, though I don't own either The Abyss or Big.

*My Halloween H20 disc was the original Disney "Dimension Collectors Series" edition of the film and not the Echo Bridge version if you or anyone else wants to try it on their players.

orangerunner 10-07-13 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11863964)
I think that certain non-anamorphic DVDs are somehow flagged to automatically zoom on certain players.

I have noticed this on a couple of my DVDs. My copy of Halloween H20, which is non-anamorphic, would play zoomed when I put it in my Sony blu-ray player. My player was an S360, the same as yours. Other non-enhanced titles would play pillarboxed or windowboxed just as you would expect.

So, no, you're not crazy, and your player settings are good. I've seen the same thing, though I don't own either The Abyss or Big.

*My Halloween H20 disc was the original Disney "Dimension Collectors Series" edition of the film and not the Echo Bridge version if you or anyone else wants to try it on their players.

Thank-you! I'm glad someone else has noticed this too.

If you didn't have the knowledge to open up the files and see they were actually encoded 4:3 you would falsely assume that you were watching an anamorphic picture.

This is especially true because my copy of The Abyss specifically states that it is anamorphic on the slip case specs but the trapsheet just says "2.35:1 Widescreen".

Ranger 10-21-14 10:20 PM

Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

So... any news?

I was also waiting for Solaris 2002 in addition to True Lies and Abyss.

(sorry if this bump led some to think I had actual news).

Gizmo 10-21-14 10:24 PM

Ask Bill Hunt. He knows all.

hanshotfirst1138 10-21-14 11:08 PM

I think that, in order, the OOT will come out, Aliens will get its real wash removed, 35mm will make a comeback, these will come out, Richard Dawkins will convert to religion, and then I will be on a date with a beautiful woman :p. In all seriousness, Cameron is so tied up with Pocahontas 3-D that he likely won't be supervising the transfers for these anytime soon, especially with the physical media market about as profitable as selling water to a drowning man.

Mr. Salty 10-21-14 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 12277481)
(sorry if this bump led some to think I had actual news).

This does, in fact, suck. If anyone had any news it would have been posted immediately.

Why So Blu? 10-22-14 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12277512)
I think that, in order, the OOT will come out, Aliens will get its real wash removed, 35mm will make a comeback, these will come out, Richard Dawkins will convert to religion, and then I will be on a date with a beautiful woman :p. In all seriousness, Cameron is so tied up with Pocahontas 3-D that he likely won't be supervising the transfers for these anytime soon, especially with the physical media market about as profitable as selling water to a drowning man.

Van Ling is on the case as far as True Lies and The Abyss go. Hell, those have been in the BD/HD can for quite a while. It's just up to the studio to release them.

Solid Snake 10-22-14 07:19 AM

damn the bump to this thread.

b2net 10-22-14 02:02 PM

Eventually.....

mike45 10-22-14 02:46 PM

Abyss and True Lies blu-ray will be released after JC releases newer versions of Avatar and Titanic. So don't hold your breath.

stvn1974 10-22-14 03:03 PM

True Lies, The Abyss, Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair and Star Wars The Original Trilogy Theatrical Version box set is going to make next week a killer on the wallet.

E Unit 11-16-15 03:57 PM

So Fox put this on their Facebook page a few days ago...zero details however.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...suoszfwyi.jpeg

JimRochester 11-16-15 04:26 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not rush these things. Remember when the first version came out and they announced the 5 Star version? Everyone was mad they did that right on the heals of the first release and would have to double dip. I guess they needn't have worried.

Solid Snake 11-16-15 04:33 PM

Fucking hell. That was such a great film.

I'm still amazed it was a remake. Didn't even know that till one of you lot mentioned it.

OldBoy 11-16-15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12646628)
Fucking hell. That was such a great film.

I'm still amazed it was a remake. Didn't even know that till one of you lot mentioned it.

True Lies is a remake? of what?

i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...

Adam Tyner 11-16-15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12646667)
True Lies is a remake? of what? i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...

A French film called La Totale!

(The exclamation point is part of the title.)

JimRochester 11-16-15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12646667)
True Lies is a remake? of what?

i still refuse to see this again until the bluray...

I got rid of the original DVD years ago when the BR seemed like a no brainer.

hanshotfirst1138 11-16-15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12646702)
A French film called La Totale!

(The exclamation point is part of the title.)

It'd be cool if that was an extra in SD on the new BD, though I doubt it could be for legal reasons. To my knowledge, the French film never got a US release, even on video.

Frankly, because of my Vudu copy of True Lies (and the inevitable teal wash), I'm kind of more interested in The Abyss. True Lies has apparently disappeared from Vudu though.

Josh Z 11-17-15 10:29 AM

If, as has long been the rumor, James Cameron grew disenchanted with True Lies after the real terrorism events on 9/11, it seems highly unlikely that this right now would be the week he changes his mind about it.

milo bloom 11-17-15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 12647074)
If, as has long been the rumor, James Cameron grew disenchanted with True Lies after the real terrorism events on 9/11, it seems highly unlikely that this right now would be the week he changes his mind about it.

Part of me thinks you're right, but the other part says to keep in mind that they would have been working on this for a while now and maybe they would be interested in a movie where Arnie beats the shit out of various terrorists as a bit of red meat for the type of consumer that's feeling bothered by current events.

(Personally I'm more interested in finally having a 16x9 version of The Abyss).

Dan 11-17-15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 12647417)
(Personally I'm more interested in finally having a 16x9 version of The Abyss).

A million times this. The lack of a proper release of this film on DVD or Blu-ray is absurd at this point.

E Unit 11-17-15 03:44 PM

Especially since the cable channels have been showing a good HD transfer of it for a while now.

Dan 11-17-15 04:32 PM

Not up here, they haven't. I recorded it on AMC HD Canada, thinking that it'd be a sub-par HD transfer at worst. Nope... it was 4x3 P&S SD... on an HD channel. :sad:

E Unit 11-17-15 04:40 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have called out its been on the premium channels like Encore. Yeah, I saw it on AMC HD a while ago and it had that ugly washed out 4x3 transfer.

hdnmickey 11-17-15 04:55 PM

Yes, I believe I've recently seen both True Lies and The Abyss on Encore in HD. Didn't make note of which version of The Abyss it was, but it was most certainly in HD. Both movies looked great despite the dated effects.

Bluelitespecial 11-17-15 05:03 PM

Its kind of weird that True Lies only got one bare bones Non anamoprhic dvd release. It feels like its been buried ever since. I dont even care if there is no extras, just give us the movie on bluray with awesome picture and audio and I will be happy.

mike45 11-17-15 08:22 PM

It seems JC doesn't really care about either film anymore. Abyss hit the theaters over 25 years ago and True Lies over twenty years ago. Neither film was released on a anamorphic DVD in those years. What more blu-ray. Sadly, JC will probably give another version of Avatar and Titanic on blu-ray. I'm not holding my breath for either True Lies or Abyss on blu-ray. I'll only believe it when I see them on store shelves.