DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570752-cameron-talks-avatar-redux-3d-titanic-abyss-true-lies-blu-ray.html)

LPMA 06-26-13 07:49 AM

Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11743580)
To be honest, I wonder how high you guys have your color set on your TV's. If anything, I think the remaster of The Terminator looks desaturated.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/4932/t1comparison1.png

Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing. Sure I prefer the color balance of the DVD in that example but the new color timing is far from terrible and actually fits the bleak tone of the movie.

I'm all for correcting color timing if there was an issue with a previous release to actually correct, but I'm not here for revisionism.

Josh Z 06-26-13 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11743580)
To be honest, I wonder how high you guys have your color set on your TV's. If anything, I think the remaster of The Terminator looks desaturated.

My projector is calibrated to a DeltaE of less than 1. What I'm seeing are the colors encoded in the transfer.

It's not about saturation. It's about being entirely the wrong color.

Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing.
To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.

CapRockBrewingCo. 06-26-13 01:28 PM

I would pick up Twin Peaks but not for more than about $50.

zyzzle 06-26-13 05:14 PM

Is anyone in a position to actually tell Cameron that his films should be encoded in 1080p with the color schemes as originally presented? The fans, of which there are millions, want this. Will it do any good? I suppose Cameron is enough of an arrogant bastard that he'll do as he wishes, fans be damned. A pity.

fitprod 06-26-13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 11745042)
Is anyone in a position to actually tell Cameron that his films should be encoded in 1080p with the color schemes as originally presented? The fans, of which there are millions, want this.

Yet sales will be in the hundred of thousands... Either way.

:p

fitprod

Josh-da-man 06-26-13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11744314)

To each their own. It looks to me just like every single movie made since 2000, which is not what a movie made in 1984 is supposed to look like.

It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.

RocShemp 06-26-13 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 11744314)
My projector is calibrated to a DeltaE of less than 1. What I'm seeing are the colors encoded in the transfer.

I get that it's not correct. But the use of the word gaudy does not bring to mind what I see here. If you'd said it now looks muted compared the warmer tones it originally exhibited, I'd agree. And I do prefer the original colors but, to be honest, the newer ones don't bother me as I thought they would. Not even the remixed audio bothers me.

On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?

Artman 06-26-13 10:20 PM

None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.

Josh Z 06-27-13 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11745303)
On the subject of the audio, did it get remixed yet again? This BD is the first time I've seen the movie outside of VHS so I never heard the remixed track before. However, I did watch a comparison video on youtube regarding infamous change to the gunfire audio during the iconic "Sarah Connor?" scene. The gunfire I heard on the BD did not sound like either of the two versions. There was a bit of the new "thwip" but it was pushed further into the background of a new "crack" and a noticeable LFE kick. Or is that difference simply the result of some limitation of audio on youtube?

It's the same mix as the DVD and the last Blu-ray.

Josh Z 06-27-13 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11745320)
None of the screenshots I've seen online over the yrs from films accused of color timing are representative of what I see on my tv. I've seen Terminator probably a half dozen times over the years, and I was aware of the color timing accusations while watching... even looking for it I couldn't discern a noticeable difference from before. If T1 is representative of new transfers for these I say bring it on.

I watched the disc on my projector, not just looked at screenshots. While perhaps not as bad as the Aliens Blu-ray (which has virtually no other colors in the entire movie now except teal and orange), The Terminator has been unmistakably tealed throughout.

LPMA 06-27-13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11745277)
It is ironic that, after winning the aspect ratio war, we now have to deal with movies being re-colored.

If I wanted to see The Terminator like that, I'd wear sunglasses while I was watching it.

I'm not even sure we quite won that war. I see plenty of tweaks, that while minor, aren't the OAR.

stvn1974 06-27-13 01:43 PM

A 20th anny comic con panel has been announced for The X-Files so maybe we will get an announcement for the BDs then.

PhantomStranger 06-27-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 11746008)
A 20th anny comic con panel has been announced for The X-Files so maybe we will get an announcement for the BDs then.

They've wanted to get a third movie off the ground for some time...

Johnny Lin 09-04-13 04:25 PM

The Abyss on Blu-ray ever?

Dunno how legit this is, but here you go

http://i.imgur.com/u3Go7q6.png

Josh-da-man 09-04-13 04:38 PM

Re: The Abyss on Blu-ray (March 14, 2014?)

I'd hit it.

tommyp007 09-04-13 04:43 PM

If so....it's mine day 1

The Valeyard 09-04-13 04:46 PM

Fake.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/30/gph5.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img27/924/5oz3.png

E Unit 09-04-13 05:19 PM

/thread

OldBoy 09-04-13 06:08 PM

fuck!

RocShemp 09-04-13 06:49 PM

Damn. :sad:

Nate Boss 09-04-13 07:03 PM

only an asshole would make an image like that. all it does is make people who want it excited enough to look past any telltales or peculiarities. as few fucks as i could give for any james cameron film, i know this is one people want, so whoever made this can go suck dicks in hell for trying to pass it off as legit.

Solid Snake 09-04-13 07:14 PM

I got all excited. Goddamnit.

RocShemp 09-04-13 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Boss (Post 11821080)
only an asshole would make an image like that. all it does is make people who want it excited enough to look past any telltales or peculiarities. as few fucks as i could give for any james cameron film, i know this is one people want, so whoever made this can go suck dicks in hell for trying to pass it off as legit.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...haoao1_400.gif

kidglov3s 09-04-13 08:30 PM

It's interesting how the home video status of Abyss/True Lies generates next to no outrage when they've so far had the same treatment as the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars films. What a difference spite makes.

RocShemp 09-04-13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s (Post 11821167)
It's interesting how the home video status of Abyss/True Lies generates next to no outrage when they've so far had the same treatment as the original theatrical cuts of the Star Wars films. What a difference spite makes.

What the hell are you talking about? Both cuts of The Abyss have always been available and I don't recall an alternate cut of True Lies. Yes, neither film has made it's way to BD but it's not at all like Star Wars where the original versions have been withheld.

orangerunner 09-04-13 09:20 PM

Has The Abyss ever had an anamorphic DVD release?

I bought a copy a few days ago which had the 3D slipcover and on the reverse side it specifically mentioned 2.35:1 widescreen Anamorphic. The trapsheet itself just said widescreen version 2.35:1.

I played it and it was just 2.35:1 widescreen (4:3 format) non-anamorphic. I knew it was too good to be true.

I also bought a 2006 re-release of Kalifornia, which used to be 1.85 non-anamorphic. The trapsheet just stated 1.85:1 widescreen. Surprisingly, the DVD was actually anamorphic even through nothing on the case or disc stated it as being such.

I wish they would proof-read and make these specs accurate especially when almost no-one wants or needs a 4:3 format disc in this day and age.

whotony 09-04-13 10:05 PM

Fan art.

LPMA 09-04-13 10:09 PM

I just checked and my 2003 2 disc set is anamorphic. Only checked the theatrical cut though.

whotony 09-04-13 10:12 PM

Only the menu was anamorphic,

kidglov3s 09-04-13 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11821201)
What the hell are you talking about? Both cuts of The Abyss have always been available and I don't recall an alternate cut of True Lies. Yes, neither film has made it's way to BD but it's not at all like Star Wars where the original versions have been withheld.

I'm talking about how the best available release for all 3 on a mainstream home video format is a non-anamorphic transfer created for laserdisc ported to DVD. The same goes for something like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? I must say I'd be more enthusiastic for a Blu-ray of that than the other 3.

Artman 09-04-13 10:43 PM

Disappointed after reading the thread title, but wasn't fooled by the fan art. I think chances are good for anniversary releases of The Abyss and True Lies next yr though. Of course, we said that five yrs ago...

Gizmo 09-05-13 12:03 AM

Someone ask Bill Hunt!

He can say its real and back peddle when it's fake by saying its currently planned.

E Unit 09-05-13 12:06 AM

I thought he said that years ago. And a couple of years ago. And last year.

Why So Blu? 09-05-13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s (Post 11821310)
I'm talking about how the best available release for all 3 on a mainstream home video format is a non-anamorphic transfer created for laserdisc ported to DVD. The same goes for something like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? I must say I'd be more enthusiastic for a Blu-ray of that than the other 3.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5hR5YNqE3K8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaymole 09-05-13 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by kidglov3s (Post 11821167)

James Cameron raped my young adulthood...there, are you happy now?

LPMA 09-05-13 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11821298)
Only the menu was anamorphic,

I don't know if my edition was different than everyone else's (Canadian edition, maybe?) but I skipped through the chapters and all of it was anamorphic...

bunkaroo 09-05-13 09:15 AM

I think it would have been pretty big news if an anamorphic Abyss hit the market anywhere in the world. People would have been importing it a lot.

LPMA 09-05-13 10:38 AM

This is the edition I have:

http://www.amazon.ca/Abyss-DVD/dp/B0...s=024543058359

bunkaroo 09-05-13 01:08 PM

I remember when that one came out in the states with the same art, the art had it listed incorrectly as anamorphic. I think a fair amount of people actually picked it up hoping it was.

Doing some googling, it seems there are anamorphic versions of this and True Lies out in the past year in China (Region 6), but still no hits I can find on an anamorphic Canadian version.

zyzzle 09-05-13 02:43 PM

Why haven't we heard more about those anamorphic releases, then? Are they garbage encodes, or what? Did anyone import that region 6 ABYSS, and is there any report as to improved PQ?