Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Old 05-03-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

The lens wipe thing is such a non-issue. When watching the scene, there's no way to know what that is without being told about it afterward. It just looks like random debris in the water bobbing over the lens for a second. Even having watched this clip beforehand, I'd forgotten about it and was so absorbed in the scene that I fully missed it when watching the movie again.

The extra on the beach getting pantsed on camera in the Special Edition ending, on the other hand...
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh Z:
Brian T (05-03-24), TomOpus (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,320 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I finally got my copy of The Abyss this week and its crazy I only watched it for the second time ever. The first being in theaters this past December. I'd call it one of the very best of James Cameron's movies and it's such as a technical achievement.
I always feel old reading posts like this since I saw the movie several times in the theater when it was first released.
Old 05-03-24, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 469 Likes on 340 Posts

Well I would have been 7 years old when the Abyss was released in 1989. I posted it here before but I've wanted to see it for years but with it having such limited availability up until now I didn't want to watch it on a non anamorphic dvd. It was such an awesome experience seeing it in theaters this past December and now have the 4k release so I'm glad I waited to watch it.
Old 05-27-24, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Match:
Bob_Bobbson (05-29-24), Brian T (05-27-24)
Old 05-28-24, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
It's like the sequel to DNR.
The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (05-29-24)
Old 05-28-24, 05:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,249 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
I was avoiding watching this because I assumed it was just going to be boring nitpicking, and to be honest, Iíve avoided all of the discourse.
I hate the monotone narration, but the clips and examples speak for themselves. These discs are perfect examples of atrocious AI bullshit that has no place in film preservation. Glad I never bought them, and I wonít be buying them now.
Bob_Bobbson (05-29-24)
Old 05-29-24, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
I was avoiding watching this because I assumed it was just going to be boring nitpicking, and to be honest, Iíve avoided all of the discourse.
I hate the monotone narration, but the clips and examples speak for themselves. These discs are perfect examples of atrocious AI bullshit that has no place in film preservation. Glad I never bought them, and I wonít be buying them now.
I don't have the time, or frankly the interest to watch some YouTuber rant. I have watched and reviewed True Lies, Aliens, and The Abyss, and there's more nuance to the discussion than just writing them off as "A.I. bullshit" and refusing to buy them.

All of the discs are problematic. This can't be denied. I don't agree with James Cameron's decision. This isn't how I'd want the movies to be remastered. However, some are more problematic than others. True Lies is definitely the worst of them, and The Abyss the least objectionable. All three of them are watchable, and considering that two of them (True Lies and The Abyss) have no better alternative than really ancient and crappy non-anamorphic DVDs, even these flawed discs still count as upgrades.

The decision then becomes, do you put up with it, or do you give up on these movies altogether? James Cameron seems to be pleased with them, so unfortunately I don't think we're ever going to get proper remasters during his lifetime.

For Aliens, there's still the 2010 Blu-ray to fall back on, which has its own issues (the super heavy-handed teal-and-orange color grade, which is carried over to the 4K as well), but at least it still has some grain and semblance of film texture, even if it was artificial.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh Z:
PhantomStranger (05-30-24), TomOpus (05-29-24)
Old 05-29-24, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,249 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't have the time, or frankly the interest to watch some YouTuber rant.
nobody is asking you to do so*, but on the same note, many don’t have the time or interest to parse multiple text-based reviews with a handful of screenshots to determine if the discs are worth their money or not. Sometimes, actual clips playing side by side are more representative of the nuances between the AI bullshit and non-AI bullshit. I’ll stick with the non-AI bullshit, because at least faces aren’t warped and eyes aren’t googly, among other clear fuck-ups.

I have watched and reviewed True Lies, Aliens, and The Abyss, and there's more nuance to the discussion than just writing them off as "A.I. bullshit" and refusing to buy them.
No, it’s perfectly reasonable to write them off as such, because that’s what they ultimately represent, and it’s perfectly reasonable to refuse to buy them on those grounds.

All of the discs are problematic. This can't be denied. I don't agree with James Cameron's decision. This isn't how I'd want the movies to be remastered. However, some are more problematic than others. True Lies is definitely the worst of them, and The Abyss the least objectionable. All three of them are watchable, and considering that two of them (True Lies and The Abyss) have no better alternative than really ancient and crappy non-anamorphic DVDs, even these flawed discs still count as upgrades.
I don’t entirely disagree, but this argument you’re making boils down to “more pixels = better than.”
Put in a more nuanced way, you choose to acknowledge the flaws while saying the improvements are ultimately worth it. I choose to acknowledge the improvements while saying the flaws in these cases are absolutely not worth my money at any price.

The decision then becomes, do you put up with it, or do you give up on these movies altogether? James Cameron seems to be pleased with them, so unfortunately I don't think we're ever going to get proper remasters during his lifetime.
This seems like such dramatic phrasing, even if unintentional. Choosing not to buy these specific plastic discs, even if no rerelease ever happens, is not “giving up on these movies altogether.”
I’d just rather sit this round out than buy them just because they have more pixels. If anything, these releases make me more content with the versions I already have.

For Aliens, there's still the 2010 Blu-ray to fall back on, which has its own issues (the super heavy-handed teal-and-orange color grade, which is carried over to the 4K as well), but at least it still has some grain and semblance of film texture, even if it was artificial.
Agreed; I’m fine with the previous Blu-ray until/unless a legitimately improved version comes out in the distant future.

*edit to say: muting the video is also an option to ignore the ‘rant’ entirely, if for no other reason than to view the comparison clips.

Last edited by Dan; 05-29-24 at 12:38 PM.
Brian T (05-29-24)
Old 05-29-24, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
I don’t entirely disagree, but this argument you’re making boils down to “more pixels = better than.”
Put in a more nuanced way, you choose to acknowledge the flaws while saying the improvements are ultimately worth it. I choose to acknowledge the improvements while saying the flaws in these cases are absolutely not worth my money at any price.
Fair enough, that's your prerogative. But those DVDs were poor even by DVD standards. Non-anamorphic, and plagued with edge enhancement problems. At the time each of those discs came out, there was no excuse for Cameron to recycle those aged Laserdisc-era masters. (And yes, that was specifically James Cameron's decision. The studio wanted to remaster the movies, but Cameron exerted a contractual right to block them from doing so.)

Agreed; I’m fine with the previous Blu-ray until/unless a legitimately improved version comes out in the distant future.
James Cameron is a stubborn man who does not like to admit when he's wrong. He also has it written into all of his contracts that no new home video master can be made for his movies without his approval. It's extremely unlikely these movies will be remastered again during his lifetime, unless some new gimmick comes along that gives him an excuse to rework them for a whole new medium.

Last edited by Josh Z; 05-29-24 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-29-24, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,942 Likes on 2,011 Posts

I find it both fascinating and disturbing how filmmakers and film fans are on separate pages when it comes to film preservation.

George Lucas probably the gold standard here, but Cameron comes in a close second.

But it's just downright bizarre how so many hardcore movie fans want classic films preserved and presented as close to the original form as possible, while the people who actually made the films want to run them though filters, scrub the grain, recolor them, make them 3D, and otherwise tinker with their old films using modern enhancement technology. Or, at the end, they don't really seem to give a shit about presentation and will sign-off on old laserdisc transfers without even watching them.
Josh Z (05-29-24)
Old 05-30-24, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently there's an Audio issue with the Titanic 4k and Paramount is doing a replacement program. Nothing I've noticed but I'll still fill out the online form for the fixed disc.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/053024-0945
Old 05-30-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 637 Likes on 388 Posts

Psst, there are video issues with T2 , The Abyss, True Lies and Aliens 4K UHDs. Different studios but...
Bluelitespecial (05-30-24)
Old 06-07-24, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 345 Likes on 257 Posts

Apparently there's an Audio issue with the Titanic 4k and Paramount is doing a replacement program. Nothing I've noticed but I'll still fill out the online form for the fixed disc.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/053024-0945
Has anyone had any luck with this? I filled out the form and the required info and then got a reply back asking me what the issue was, if I had the firmware updated on my player, and to give them my player and model number. I sent them back a proof of purchase and tried to explain that THEY are the one recalling/replacing the discs...that was a week ago, and I've heard nothing since.
Old 06-07-24, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got an email back with a questionnaire asking for the product information, what my player was and had it been updated. They also asked for product pics and a receipt for which I sent them a screen capture of my purchase off of Amazon. I mentioned I heard about the disc being defective as it was missing audio and was requesting the replacement disc. I hadn't gotten any further reply so I assume I'll get the replacement disc in the mail.
Old 06-07-24, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,274 Likes on 982 Posts

I got an email back with a questionnaire asking for the product information, what my player was and had it been updated. They also asked for product pics and a receipt for which I sent them a screen capture of my purchase off of Amazon. I mentioned I heard about the disc being defective as it was missing audio and was requesting the replacement disc. I hadn't gotten any further reply so I assume I'll get the replacement disc in the mail.

Likewise. When I had initially submitted the form it took them 3 days before they responded with the email wanting proof of purchase and all the other crap, so will not expect any word until next week or until the disc actually arrives at my doorstep.
Bluelitespecial (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

I filled out the form and have heard nothing back from them.
Old 06-08-24, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
I filled out the form and have heard nothing back from them.
That's been my experience with a couple recent Paramount disc replacements. After responding to their request for more info, it was radio silence until 1-2 months later when I got an email notifying me of the replacement shipment.
Old 06-08-24, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
That's been my experience with a couple recent Paramount disc replacements. After responding to their request for more info, it was radio silence until 1-2 months later when I got an email notifying me of the replacement shipment.
SInce I never was contacted to ask for more info it makes me wonder if my submission was received or if my email provider blocked their response email. Here's to hoping they contact me soon and I'm on the way to a replacement.
Old 06-24-24, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I saw the same ad. Looks like it's an independent production in the vein of RoboDoc (about the same length too). Looks like they've got all the major participants you'd want, aside from Sigourney Weaver, Gale Anne Hurd, Paul Reiser, and (for obvious reasons) Bill Paxton, Al Matthews, and James Horner. But, I can't see spending $99 for a Blu-ray.
Well, shit, they went and got interviews with Sigourney Weaver, Gale Anne Hurd, and Paul Reiser. I still can't see spending $99 for a Blu-ray doc, but if it gets a general retail release at a better price point, I'd probably pick it up.
Spiderbite (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,268 Likes on 780 Posts

After watching some of these genre Kickstarter documentaries on streaming I was glad I didn't end up purchasing them. They are usually good but once you have seen them, I never really feel the need to revisit again...or at least in the next 10 years or more. And then it is on a completely different format.
Old 06-26-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got an email from Paramount saying my replacement disc for Titanic was approved and that they just shipped it. They said I should get it within 7-10 days.
Old 07-11-24, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I received my Titanic replacement disc about a week ago and have swapped out the correct disc in my case now. I found this information at the "other Forum" and thought I'd pass it along here. Look on the back of the disc for the following numbers.

Old Discs:
58388225/NA152771UVR1 D 24
58388226/NA152771UVR1 DO 22
58388249/NA152771UVR1 D 23

New Discs:
58426341/NA152771UVR2 D 21
58426342/NA152771UVR2 DO 22
58426343/NA152771UVR2 D 23

In short, if you see "UVR2", then you have the new disc.
This is where the audio errors occur during the movie.
From the Digital Bits
[Editor’s Note: For those asking: Three lines of off-screen dialogue are missing from all the tracks on the US Titanic 4K. Around 2:11:10, Leo should say “Ok! Let’s go!” and moments later “Let’s go, Rose.” Then at around 2:37:27 Leo should say again, “This way.” as the minister is praying.]

Old 07-11-24, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,274 Likes on 982 Posts

I finally got my shipping notice for the replacement disc yesterday.
Bluelitespecial (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once I got my replacement disc I went back and watched the defective one to see where the errors were and then checked the new disc at the same times and it was the fixed disc.