DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570752-cameron-talks-avatar-redux-3d-titanic-abyss-true-lies-blu-ray.html)

Robert 05-05-13 09:47 AM

Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 11678652)
Eliza Dushku was on the Nerdist last night, and she talked about participating in some special features for the forthcoming True Lies Blu-ray.

<i>**faints**</i>

Gizmo 05-05-13 10:31 AM

Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 11678769)
<i>**faints**</i>

Available only in Region B!

Johnny Lin 05-06-13 04:11 PM

True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...les-twin-peaks

BuckNaked2k 05-06-13 04:16 PM

Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks...the one TV series I would upgrade to Blu. :thumbsup:

Shannon Nutt 05-06-13 04:20 PM

Damn it, it sounds like they're going to screw the pooch on X-FILES. :(

Oliver Clothesoff 05-06-13 05:15 PM

yay for Twin Peaks, but boo on the X-files news. I'll hold on to my DVDs until those sets start making their way into the market and get reviewed.

onebyone 05-06-13 05:35 PM

Please give me True Lies already. Thanks.

riotinmyskull 05-06-13 05:38 PM

twin peaks on blu-ray :thumbsup:

not getting my hopes up until it's official.

Gizmo 05-06-13 06:16 PM

Twin Peaks!

Time to dump the DVD

RocShemp 05-06-13 06:46 PM

Wait, the BD Star Trek: The Next Generation – Season Two is crap? Good thing I've been waiting for a price drop.

Josh-da-man 05-06-13 06:54 PM

I'll probably pass on X-Files.

I already have the DVDs (that big box of the complete series) and I don't watch the DVDs enough to justify upgrading nine seasons of the program. I'm also not sure how much of an improvement it would be, particularly of the early seasons that look cheap and low budget.

Unlike TNG, which I did not own previously, which was a no-brainer for me to get on blu-ray.

fumanstan 05-06-13 07:36 PM

True Lies :banana:

MTRodaba2468 05-06-13 08:32 PM

I'll certainly upgrade Twin Peaks

Gizmo 05-06-13 08:47 PM

Shit.

Didn't even look at the source before posting. Great. More "Rumor mill" stuff. According to the last "update" these were planned for this year. Not holding my breath.

May 2012:

And in other news, this would normally go in The Rumor Mill, but it's easier to just post it here: We've been checking with our industry sources and have confirmed that 20th Century Fox is definitely planning to bring director James Cameron's The Abyss and True Lies to Blu-ray at long last. Sources tell us that the hope is to do a big promotion with the titles sometime next year. Why the wait? Cameron is a pretty busy guy these days, so these things take time. (Hey, when was the last time you tried diving to the deepest point in the ocean?) Nevertheless, rest assured that the two long-awaited films are definitely coming to Blu in the not-too-distant future.
I guess "not so distant future" means 2014.

Meathead 05-06-13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11680491)
Wait, the BD Star Trek: The Next Generation – Season Two is crap? Good thing I've been waiting for a price drop.

No it's not crap... still a huge upgrade over the DVD set.

:thumbsup: To Abyss and True Lies coming to BD

Shannon Nutt 05-07-13 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11680491)

As the above poster said, it's not crap, but it's not the quality of the seasons CBS is doing in-house. But even then, they still went back to the masters. It doesn't sound like they're going to be doing that with X-Files.

LPMA 05-07-13 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11681479)
As the above poster said, it's not crap, but it's not the quality of the seasons CBS is doing in-house. But even then, they still went back to the masters. It doesn't sound like they're going to be doing that with X-Files.

What I understood from that article was that parts of the episode were upconverted, probably the effects-heavy scenes. There was talk of them having to back and basically recreated the effects so I guess they went for the cost-saving albeit suckier option.

Speaking of catalogue TV shows, I know Seinfeld has been rumored for a while. I was discussing that with a friend and he keeps arguing with me that the show wasn't shot on 35mm. Anyone has any reference they could share with me that I could shove in his face?

Dan 05-07-13 03:02 PM

^

Seinfeld specs from IMDb

Seinfeld (1990–1998)
Technical Specifications
Showing all 8 technical specifications
Runtime 23 min
23 min (180 episodes)
Sound Mix Dolby
Color Color
Aspect Ratio 1.78 : 1 (remastered re-runs)
4:3
Camera Panavision Cameras and Lenses
Negative Format 35 mm
Cinematographic Process Spherical
Printed Film Format Video (HDTV) (remastered re-runs)
Video (NTSC)
I'm definitely in for Twin Peaks and Abyss if/when they end up getting released.

bunkaroo 05-07-13 03:05 PM

From what I've seen of the HD broadcasts of Seinfeld, I would upgrade. I'd have to see some screenshots for the X-Files before I make the call.

Gizmo 05-07-13 06:11 PM

Seinfeld looks good in Syndication. At this point I wouldn't buy it as I've seen them many times and its on constantly.

My Other Self 05-07-13 06:17 PM

Seinfeld is the only TV show besides The Simpsons I would ever upgrade.

The Seinfeld HD prints look great as it is but I want the broadcast cuts, not the syndication edits playing on local affiliates or on TBS.

bunkaroo 06-14-13 10:08 PM

Thought this would be a relevant place to post this. Whenever I see True Lies in HD on the guide somewhere I always record it to see if by chance it's a new master. It's always been a cropped crapfest.

Well I noticed HDnet Movies is running it this month, and they always run OAR. I recorded it, and what do you know, it's OAR. Looks pretty good. I don't know if this is what will be used for an eventual Blu-ray, but if you have access to HDnet Movies you can get it through On Demand, or it will also be playing a few more times next week.

I had to delete my recording because I only got some of it due to a power issue. I can take a screen shot once my download is done if necessary. :)

Rypro 525 06-18-13 03:38 AM

For those Jazzing over Twin Peaks on blu, it would still be 1:33, can that show really look any better than the current dvd?

LPMA 06-18-13 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 11734719)
For those Jazzing over Twin Peaks on blu, it would still be 1:33, can that show really look any better than the current dvd?

Let me get this straight, something can't benefit from an HD upgrade because it's natively in 1.33:1?

rocket1312 06-18-13 08:45 AM

Simple answer? Yes. HD is HD no matter what the aspect ratio.

Gizmo 06-18-13 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by LPMA (Post 11734830)
Let me get this straight, something can't benefit from an HD upgrade because it's natively in 1.33:1?

Twilight Zone say's "Hi".

Plenty of 4:3 content has hit Blu-ray.

bunkaroo 06-18-13 09:23 AM

Star Trek TOS and TNG being two more examples.

Josh Z 06-18-13 10:21 AM

Aspect ratio has nothing to do with resolution. A 4:3 pillarboxed picture has the same amount of black bars as a 2.35:1 letterboxed picture, just on the sides rather than the top and bottom. Would you say that Iron Man or Lord of the Rings or [insert name of "epic" blockbuster here] don't benefit from HD? Of course not.

Netflix and VUDU both offer Twin Peaks in high-def streaming. While not perfect (it's clearly an old transfer), the show looks much better than DVD.

LPMA 06-18-13 10:24 AM

Just to be clear, I know all of this fully well. I just wanted to make sure that's what the poster I quoted meant.

Josh-da-man 06-18-13 05:20 PM

It's still 480 lines of resolution vs 1080 lines of resolution.

The only 1.33:1 material that wouldn't benefit from a blu-ray transfer would be stuff that was filmed or edited on videotape.

Even then, Star Trek: TNG, which was edited on video, is being re-edited and remastered from the original film elements.

Deftones 06-21-13 11:05 PM

Holy shit. I missed this thread. True Lies! Hell yeah! One of my favorite movies ever! :banana:

Alan Smithee 06-22-13 02:46 AM

I've already got True Lies on D-VHS- one of the less than 100 titles released on that format.

zyzzle 06-24-13 06:41 PM

Is it too much to hope that both films are presented as originally seen in theaters, with NO revisionist color timing? I'll just bet we get both with a teal / blue hue to them. If so, I'm sure that many folks will be royally pissed after waiting YEARS for any high-def treatment. Fingers crossed, but doubtful.

Josh Z 06-25-13 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 11742407)
Is it too much to hope that both films are presented as originally seen in theaters, with NO revisionist color timing? I'll just bet we get both with a teal / blue hue to them. If so, I'm sure that many folks will be royally pissed after waiting YEARS for any high-def treatment. Fingers crossed, but doubtful.

If Cameron is involved with the remasters at all, both will be heavily teal and orange. He LOVES teal and orange now.

RocShemp 06-25-13 11:18 AM

Well True Lies wouldn't suffer that much. Similar to Terminator 2, most every night shot was blue already.

Josh Z 06-25-13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11743213)
Well True Lies wouldn't suffer that much. Similar to Terminator 2, most every night shot was blue already.

Blue is not the same color as teal. These are different colors. Teal is a mix of green and blue. Blue is an aesthetically pleasing primary color. Teal is a gaudy eyesore.

With the remasters for Aliens and The Terminator, Cameron removed all the blue and replaced it with teal. He loves teal. It's the only color he wants everything to be now.

RocShemp 06-25-13 03:11 PM

To be honest, I wonder how high you guys have your color set on your TV's. If anything, I think the remaster of The Terminator looks desaturated.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/4932/t1comparison1.png

Yes, the color timing has been changed but it doesn't look gaudy. The overall effect is that everything looks desaturated with the new color timing. Sure I prefer the color balance of the DVD in that example but the new color timing is far from terrible and actually fits the bleak tone of the movie.

Josh-da-man 06-25-13 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11743213)

The Abyss would probably look hideous in teal/orange.

Too bad it never got an anamorphic DVD transfer.

I'm so fucking tired of blu-rays of great movies getting transfers with fucked up color. (FOTR EE, I'm looking at you.)

TheBang 06-25-13 09:11 PM

Ugh. That picture makes me sad. Sure, it might look nice to the modern viewer's eye, but it no longer looks like the 1984 picture that it is.

PhantomStranger 06-25-13 10:06 PM

True Lies will be tealed up on the new transfer, make no mistake.