DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570752-cameron-talks-avatar-redux-3d-titanic-abyss-true-lies-blu-ray.html)

E Unit 08-14-17 01:13 PM

Re: True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks

Something else - it's called Cameron. I think both Abyss and True Lies have already had their 4k scans done a long time ago. Even Fox posted a picture on Facebook alluding to True Lies coming out, and that was a couple of years ago.

Grainy 08-14-17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13134425)
Something else - it's called Cameron. I think both Abyss and True Lies have already had their 4k scans done a long time ago. Even Fox posted a picture on Facebook alluding to True Lies coming out, and that was a couple of years ago.

Ok, thanks. I had to go find that quote from Cameron about the Blu-rays coming, and I see that was already a year ago!:confused:

Ranger 08-14-17 09:16 PM

Just heard about Aliens 3D today. Kinda strange. Terminator 2 3D just feels five years too late.

But at least Cameron said he now has time to work on getting True Lies and Abyss to blu-ray. So maybe Q1 2018?

Bluelitespecial 08-15-17 05:01 PM

From digitalbits
http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/081517-1345

All right, the big news that broke over the weekend is that director James Cameron gave an interview with the fine Arnold Fans website, where he revealed that he is finally back at work on Blu-ray releases of The Abyss and True Lies. As you know, we’ve reported here for a couple years now that 20th Century Fox had completed new transfers of both films as well as all of the work needed to compile new special features and author the Blu-rays. So it’s just been waiting on Cameron to give his thumbs-up, and as he says in the interview of the two releases: “I’m working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming.” So there you go. Do give the complete interview a look; it’s well worth your time.
From the James Cameron interview on www.theArnoldfans.com
http://www.thearnoldfans.com/news/20...-human-ch.html

TheArnoldFans: We seriously need that True Lies blu-ray!

James Cameron: "I’m working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming."
I'll believe it when the bluray is in my hands.

E Unit 08-15-17 05:03 PM

Sure Cameron, sure.

LorenzoL 08-15-17 07:16 PM

I'm sorry but I'll only believe him when they are actually released. He gets no free pass from me.

GoldenJCJ 08-15-17 11:25 PM

James Cameron: "I’m working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming."
What the fuck are you talking about, James?! NONE of that has happened yet, unless delaying projects into the next decade is getting things "going".

Cameron is like that annoying uncle who just spouts off about all the great things he's got going on just to see if anyone is still listening to his bullshit.

At this point I've lost track of everything on his "to-do" list.

milo bloom 08-16-17 11:42 AM

I'm not sure that I even want them anymore.

I wouldn't mind a re-watch of The Abyss, but if it's on a streaming service, that's good enough for me.

Dan 11-30-18 01:34 PM

BUMP!

James Cameron CONFIRMS
that he still hasn't fucking looked at the transfers he was given.

Maybe 2019, boys.

True Lies Blu-Ray Could Be Done By End Of 2018, Says James Cameron
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...james-cameron/

“Man, it’s on my to-do list,” Cameron admitted. “It’s a question of time-management. True Lies and The Abyss both have Blu-ray transfers that are complete for my review. The problem is the next 14 hours when I have to go back and trim the color and get each one perfect. That’s 28 hours. I don’t have 28 hours.” He added that he’s hoping to take a look at them before 2019 arrives: “I’ve put it on my list to try to get it done before the end of the year.”
Yeah, that shit ain't happening anytime soon.

Oh, but apparently he was going to do a movie in space with Tom Cruise like 15 years ago or something.

James Cameron And Tom Cruise Almost Shot A Film In Space Together
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...pace-together/

“I actually talked to [Cruise] about doing a space film in space, about 15 years ago,” Cameron told Empire. “I had a contract with the Russians in 2000 to go to the International Space Station and shoot a high-end 3D documentary there. And I thought, ‘Shit, man, we should just make a feature.’ I said, ‘Tom, you and I, we’ll get two seats on the Soyuz, but somebody’s gotta train us as engineers.’ Tom said, ‘No problem, I’ll train as an engineer.’ We had some ideas for the story, but it was still conceptual.”

Josh-da-man 11-30-18 02:16 PM

Can’t Cameron just let one of his flunkies boost up the teal and orange on those films? That’s all he’s going to do, anyway.

DthRdrX 11-30-18 02:52 PM

I've said it before but one day we are going to look back and realize Cameron wasted a good 20 years doing next to nothing. (1997+)

On the flipside, maybe this will spark some movement.

True Lies (TV Series) (characters - 2018) (announced)

Kenshiro 12-20-18 03:46 PM

Re: Cameron Talks Avatar Redux, 3D, Titanic, Abyss/True Lies Blu-ray

I'm sure most have given up hope at this point....but if you haven't, Cameron mentions it might happen in 2019.

From an interview with Empire magazine.

“Man, it’s on my to-do list,” Cameron admitted. “It’s a question of time-management. True Lies and The Abyss both have Blu-ray transfers that are complete for my review. The problem is the next 14 hours when I have to go back and trim the color and get each one perfect. That’s 28 hours. I don’t have 28 hours.” He added that he’s hoping to take a look at them before 2019 arrives: “I’ve put it on my list to try to get it done before the end of the year.”

Dan 12-20-18 10:47 PM

^ already mentioned in the other Abyss / True Lies thread here:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13453223-post88.html

It ain't happening. Cameron is full of shit.

GoldenJCJ 12-20-18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kenshiro (Post 13465796)
I'm sure most have given up hope at this point....but if you haven't, Cameron mentions it might happen in 2019.

From an interview with Empire magazine.

For Christ’s sake, James! Farm that job out to someone else and then sign off on the new transfer, you megalomaniacal Fuck!

Sonic 12-20-18 11:37 PM

^
:lol:

Josh-da-man 12-20-18 11:43 PM

Cameron won’t trust anyone but himself to tint the movies teal and orange.

JeremyM 12-28-18 09:14 AM

I love True Lies, probably more than most, but good Lord, give it a watch and call it good. 14 hours on it? Why?

The Abyss I can understand a little more since it's so effects heavy, it might take some babying, but still.

JeremyM 12-28-18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13453223)
BUMP!

James Cameron CONFIRMS

Maybe 2019, boys.

True Lies Blu-Ray Could Be Done By End Of 2018, Says James Cameron

Yeah, that shit ain't happening anytime soon.

Oh, but apparently he was going to do a movie in space with Tom Cruise like 15 years ago or something.

James Cameron And Tom Cruise Almost Shot A Film In Space Together
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...pace-together/

I can totally picture Tom Cruise saying that and being willing to do that. Also, I have to say, it sounds a lot more interesting than Avatars 2 through 17.

JoeyOhhhh 12-28-18 12:31 PM

Why is it these three titles get this treatment, and his other titles seem to get a string of constant releases (Terminator, T2, Aliens)? I don't keep up with Cameron so I am genuinely curious

JeremyM 12-28-18 10:19 PM

If I had to guess, I would assume he doesn't have the same rights to those films since those were the films that gave him the cachet to start making crazy demands (the T2 rights were probably established when he sold the original).

Josh Z 12-29-18 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM (Post 13470105)
If I had to guess, I would assume he doesn't have the same rights to those films since those were the films that gave him the cachet to start making crazy demands (the T2 rights were probably established when he sold the original).

That's possibly true of The Abyss, which is primarily owned by 20th Century Fox. But True Lies was almost entirely a Lightstorm Entertainment production, with Fox only acting as distributor. I'd assume that Cameron still has control over that one.

GoldenJCJ 12-31-18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13470559)
That's possibly true of The Abyss, which is primarily owned by 20th Century Fox. But True Lies was almost entirely a Lightstorm Entertainment production, with Fox only acting as distributor. I'd assume that Cameron still has control over that one.

So is Cameron still holding on to that post 9/11 fear of releasing True Lies? I think that was initially the case but I thought those concerns had dimished over the last 17 years.

Josh Z 01-01-19 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13471644)
So is Cameron still holding on to that post 9/11 fear of releasing True Lies? I think that was initially the case but I thought those concerns had dimished over the last 17 years.

Nobody really knows what his deal is these days. I suspect that he just stopped caring about these two movies and would rather not deal with them.

Josh-da-man 01-02-19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13453223)
BUMP!

James Cameron CONFIRMS

I think the only way to get him to care about them is to drop them off of a ship into the Mariana Trench.

Shannon Nutt 01-02-19 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13453282)
I've said it before but one day we are going to look back and realize Cameron wasted a good 20 years doing next to nothing. (1997+)

On the flipside, maybe this will spark some movement.

The same will be said of: Bob Zemeckis, George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, and - I fear - JJ Abrams. :(