DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Fox decides to not bring Burn Notice Season 3 to Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/570587-fox-decides-not-bring-burn-notice-season-3-blu-ray.html)

Gizmo 03-09-10 09:38 AM

Fox decides to not bring Burn Notice Season 3 to Blu-ray

Sigh. While it's not a show I watch, I hate when studios pull this crap.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced the release of Burn Notice: Season Three for June 1. Unfortunately, it will come out in standard-definition DVD only. This is a new chapter in the erratic hidef career of this TV series: Season One was released in June 2008 on DVD only; a year later, Season Two was released on DVD and BD (but the studio didn't release Season One on BD); and now Season Three goes back to DVD only.

Burn Notice thus joins the ranks of other TV series whose studios have pulled back from BD releasing and gone back to DVD only, such as Sony with Rescue Me and Damages, and Warner with Nip/Tuck.

But it is another Fox series, Prison Break, that has the most chequered BD history: Seasons One and Three got a BD release, as well as Prison Break: The Final Break, but not Seasons Two and Four: whoever wants to have the complete series in hidef must turn to importing from France or Germany.

When Burn Notice: Season Two was released on BD, it received poor reviews in the audio/video department. This, coupled to its high list price ($59.99, while the DVD listed for $39.99), may account for poor sales for this BD season set, despite its action/espionage genre: it didn't make the top 20 in its first week, and its percentage of sales from Blu-ray was only 8%.

Gizmo 03-09-10 09:41 AM

Re: Fox decides to not bring Burn Notice Season 3 to Blu-ray

I hope if Fox even releases Dollhouse Season 2, they do a BD as well. This has me scared for any Fox BD TV release.

E Unit 03-09-10 09:41 AM

WOW - this just fucked my day up. Thanks USA/Fox. But considering the lackluster BD offering they gave, I guess I shouldn't feel bad about not getting season 3. And as good as it ended too. I wonder why they're opting to treat their property like this - these are excellent shows.

Adboy151 03-09-10 10:07 AM

Yeah I didn't understand the $20 difference between the DVD and BD. That markedly killed sales of this and likely, 24 and Prison Break ($40 list price difference in the case of Prison Break and Firefly).

Warner only did $10 between the lists of Chuck and The Big Bang Theory, while Fox themselves only did $10 between The Simpsons and How I Met Your Mother.

I appreciate that Fox has tried to get TV on BD more than anyone else, but they have a history of being greedy out of the gate. -- $130 list for X-Files seasons, anyone?

Fox will likely claim this is hour long drama, blah, blah, blah. But in age where all packaged media sales are dropping, this was just shooting yourself in the foot.

Adam Tyner 03-09-10 10:15 AM

With that sort of soft, grainy 16mm photography, I can't get too miffed about Burn Notice being released to DVD only.

matome 03-09-10 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 10040099)
I appreciate that Fox has tried to get TV on BD more than anyone else, but they have a history of being greedy out of the gate. -- $130 list for X-Files seasons, anyone?

So true, I remember even with DVD their first releases were the high-$35 MSRP non-anamorphic feature-less DVD's.

Michael Corvin 03-09-10 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 10040099)

X-files was the first show to have full seasons released. There was zero precedence in terms of a pricing structure. The VHS sets worked out to about $5 an episode so I'm sure they just went from there. The only problem I see with that was when many seasons went buy and other shows got released for far cheaper and Fox stuck to the $150 SRP.

WMAangel 03-09-10 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10040058)
I hope if Fox even releases Dollhouse Season 2, they do a BD as well.

I wouldn't worry about Dollhouse: S2 at all....S1 sold proportionately well to the DVD, Whedon has the strong cult following, plus that type of show (sci-fi) caters to the format much better than some USA cable drama....

Aziz Ansari said it best: "Who the heck watches Burn Notice?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsoD2Kb3VMk

jjcool 03-09-10 12:18 PM

I must admit that I thought about getting Burn Notice S2 on blue ray, then bought the dvd. Just couldnt jsutify the price difference. Found the dvds for $16 vs. $60 for the blue ray, it was a no brainer. Same deal with Firefly. Got in on that deal that Best Buy had recently for the dvds, and they ended up costing 1/4 of what the blue rays cost.

rfduncan 03-09-10 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10040115)
With that sort of soft, grainy 16mm photography, I can't get too miffed about Burn Notice being released to DVD only.

Agreed. I also have read bad reviews of the S2 set. They all said stuff like "not really HD quality material to start with".

RocShemp 03-09-10 01:25 PM

It's not that the BD transfer was bad. It was that the source material was 16mm footage. It's not gonna look all pretty like CSI: Miami.

critterdvd 03-09-10 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10040504)
It's not that the BD transfer was bad. It was that the source material was 16mm footage. It's not gonna look all pretty like CSI: Miami.

Exactly. This is exactly why 20th Century Fox hasn't brought BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER to blu-ray as well, because the source material for is 16mm which looks as good as its ever going to get on DVD, let alone Blu...

WMAangel 03-09-10 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd (Post 10040578)
This is exactly why 20th Century Fox hasn't brought BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER to blu-ray as well, because the source material for is 16mm which looks as good as its ever going to get on DVD, let alone Blu...

1. Only the first two seasons of BUFFY were in 16mm...they switched to 35mm from season 3 onward....

2. The special effects for BUFFY were only done in standard definition, as is the case with STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (another highly popular and requested television series that ran for seven seasons)....in may not be economically feasible for them to redo things for a BD release, despite its continued popularity....

"Chuck" continues to be released onto BD, looks better than its DVD releases, and it is filmed in 16mm....films such as "Clerks", "Chasing Amy", "Halloween II", "Saw", "This Is Spinal Tap", "The Wrestler", and your brand new Best Picture winner "The Hurt Locker" have all been released onto BD, look better than their DVD counterparts, and they were shot in 16mm...

16mm (in and of itself) is not the reason Buffy isn't (yet) on Blu-ray....and it is a bunch of bull whenever someone tries to use it as an excuse for something not being released onto BD....16mm still has a higher theoretical resolution than Blu-ray....while the results of presenting a film or TV show shot in 16mm on Blu-ray may not be as drastic an improvement as one shot in 35mm, they are still there....

Adam Tyner 03-09-10 03:20 PM

Yeah, 16mm can definitely benefit from the additional resolution that Blu-ray has to offer. In the case of Burn Notice, though, I think it'd be pretty marginal.

lamphorn 03-09-10 06:54 PM

This policy is dumb. I've never watched Burn Notice, but with Nip/Tuck, I've watched through Season 4 and have refrained from Season 5 until they bring it out on BD. Doesn't look like they're going to, and though I did watch the first 4 seasons on DVD (because I hadn't yet gotten an HDTV or BD player) I don't watch SD stuff at all anymore because it just looks like youtube-quality on my HDTV... so I guess Nip/Tuck ends at Season 4 for me.

Kevin M. Dean 03-10-10 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 10040370)
IJust couldnt jsutify the price difference. Found the dvds for $16 vs. $60 for the blue ray, it was a no brainer.

FYI, the BD has been as low as $26.99 on Amazon as recently as January so it can be had for a good bit lower than $60 these days.

davidh777 03-10-10 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10040144)
X-files was the first show to have full seasons released. There was zero precedence in terms of a pricing structure. The VHS sets worked out to about $5 an episode so I'm sure they just went from there. The only problem I see with that was when many seasons went buy and other shows got released for far cheaper and Fox stuck to the $150 SRP.

+1. Remember this was also the era of two episodes of Star Trek OS for $20.

That said, Fox tried really hard to stick to a $40 list price for Blu.

MTRodaba2468 03-10-10 02:39 AM

Admittedly, I'm not a Burn Notice fan, but I hate this practice regardless.

Eric D. 03-10-10 03:44 AM

Yeah, I hate it when studios stop supporting shows on Blu. Hopefully it will show up region free in another country like seasons two and four of Prison Break did.

movielib 03-10-10 07:38 AM

Damages S1 came out in Blu-ray but S2 didn't. Pisses me off.

rfduncan 03-10-10 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 10041175)
This policy is dumb. I've never watched Burn Notice, but with Nip/Tuck, I've watched through Season 4 and have refrained from Season 5 until they bring it out on BD. Doesn't look like they're going to, and though I did watch the first 4 seasons on DVD (because I hadn't yet gotten an HDTV or BD player) I don't watch SD stuff at all anymore because it just looks like youtube-quality on my HDTV... so I guess Nip/Tuck ends at Season 4 for me.

You actually might be doing yourself a bigger favor than you realize having personally witnessed what came after S4 through the series finale. Ugh. Several hours of my life I'd like back. ;)

rexinnih 03-10-10 03:42 PM

Still need to see Season 2 but enjoyed Season 1. Would buy eventually if all were available on Blu so looks like they saved me money.

jjcool 03-10-10 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean (Post 10041724)
FYI, the BD has been as low as $26.99 on Amazon as recently as January so it can be had for a good bit lower than $60 these days.

Right now at dvdpricesearch, the blue ray shows up as $20 more expensive than the dvd counterpart. Too much of a discrepancy, in my opinion.

Josh-da-man 03-10-10 06:48 PM

I'm a bit concerned about Dollhouse season two now; wasn't before, am now.

GenPion 03-10-10 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10043198)
I'm a bit concerned about Dollhouse season two now; wasn't before, am now.

Nah. Dollhouse S2 will hit Blu-ray and finish off the series.

Burn Notice, on the other hand, did so poorly in Blu-ray sales and was so harshly criticized for it's video that the studio just probably felt it was their best option.

It's a sad thing... I wish it wasn't what they are doing for Burn Notice. But it is.