Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Cliff Blu ray which edition?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this movie before, this one is a really great Chinese movie. No it has three editions for 288mins(I don't think 148 mins one is good). The best should be Hongkong one, but it's too expensive. UK is cheap, but supply in PAL. Just waiting to see US one.
Old 03-08-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Red Cliff Blu ray which edition?

I thought there was a question in here?

I'd like to get this movie also, but the $50 USD asking price for each part (for the HK version) is too much. I believe there are 3 different US releases coming, aren't there? The International Cut (combining, and, I'm assuming, trimming both Parts I and II) and individual releases for Part I and Part II.
Old 03-08-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still less than £10 at Amazon UK for both parts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Specia...8082324&sr=8-1
Old 03-08-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by truelies
UK is cheap, but supply in PAL.
There is no PAL or NTSC or SECAM on Blu-ray Disc. It is not a concern. Just ensure the disc is not region-locked if you don't have a region-free player.

I was planning on ordering the one in the yellow case off Amazon. Is this one not the complete, definitive version?

Old 03-08-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The UK release actually has little bits of cuts here and there (mostly for horse-violence, I think).

The US release should be completely uncut.
Old 03-08-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The UK release actually has little bits of cuts here and there (mostly for horse-violence, I think).
Interesting. Didn't know that one was snipped, but it makes sense based on some of the others they've cut for the same reasons (House of Flying Daggers, The Warlords, etc).
Old 03-08-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Bah! I was just about to get the UK one. Glad I read this before purchasing.
Old 03-08-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$100 for both BD HK discs was a bargain considering the quality of both the film and its presentation. I paid it gladly but, as the combined versions are going to be available domestically on BD with a price tag probably in the 30-50 range for the "Whole" film, it'd be a mistake not to pick this up.
Old 03-08-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Still less than £10 at Amazon UK for both parts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Specia...8082324&sr=8-1
This is the version to get so far, for relative completeness and utterly fantastic A/V quality. The cuts mentioned in it are a few frames of horse violence (those wacky British censors), that is all. I own it and personally endorse the U.K. edition linked above. The only reason to get the Hong Kong BD is if you are a native speaker, because the English subtitles are not defeatable on the U.K. special edition. There is zero chance the American BD by Magnolia surpasses it in A/V quality.
Old 03-08-10, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the version to get so far, for relative completeness and utterly fantastic A/V quality. The cuts mentioned in it are a few frames of horse violence (those wacky British censors), that is all. I own it and personally endorse the U.K. edition linked above. The only reason to get the Hong Kong BD is if you are a native speaker, because the English subtitles are not defeatable on the U.K. special edition. There is zero chance the American BD by Magnolia surpasses it in A/V quality.
I like they just copy HK edition. Don't know why they tried to make a new edition.
Old 03-08-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
There is no PAL or NTSC or SECAM on Blu-ray Disc. It is not a concern. Just ensure the disc is not region-locked if you don't have a region-free player.

I was planning on ordering the one in the yellow case off Amazon. Is this one not the complete, definitive version?

Where's this version from?

Except for the crappy watermarking on the first movie, the HK versions have gotten stellar reviews.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/1935/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/4635/
Old 03-08-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The U.S. from Magnolia
Old 03-08-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Except for the crappy watermarking on the first movie, the HK versions have gotten stellar reviews.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/1935/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/4635/

International Version

Theatrical Version

Both are from Magnolia and are being released in R1 on March 23.
Old 03-08-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, cool. Thanks guys.

I notice that the UK version has Mandarin: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/6761/) whereas the HK releases have Mandarin: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Mandarin: LPCM 7.1, and Mandarin: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio tracks. Why not just port over one of the 7.1 tracks instead of creating a new 5.1 track?
Old 03-08-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There is zero chance the American BD by Magnolia surpasses it in A/V quality.
However, isn't there a fair chance it will more or less match it? I would imagine they'll be encoding from the same source DI.

If the US version uses the same source and features no cuts or watermarking, a reasonable compression and removable subtitles, it'll be the one for me.
Old 03-08-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
However, isn't there a fair chance it will more or less match it? I would imagine they'll be encoding from the same source DI.

If the US version uses the same source and features no cuts or watermarking, a reasonable compression and removable subtitles, it'll be the one for me.
Old 03-09-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi

Fingers crossed.
Old 03-09-10, 07:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Oh, cool. Thanks guys.

I notice that the UK version has Mandarin: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Cl...y-Review/6761/) whereas the HK releases have Mandarin: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Mandarin: LPCM 7.1, and Mandarin: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio tracks. Why not just port over one of the 7.1 tracks instead of creating a new 5.1 track?
Probably the same reason why Magnet opted not to port over the theatrical subs on Let the Right One in initially. I'm pretty happy with my HK release of Red Cliff. I may Netflix the theatrical cut just to see where they axed stuff.
Old 03-09-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Probably the same reason why Magnet opted not to port over the theatrical subs on Let the Right One in initially.
Yeah, why did they do that?

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'm pretty happy with my HK release of Red Cliff. I may Netflix the theatrical cut just to see where they axed stuff.
I read that the shortened cut reduces Part One to 60 minutes and Part Two to 80 minutes.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-09-10 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know how much of the UK version was cut (seems negligible) because there's some pretty intense violence involving horses in that version the film. That said, I'd highly recommend the UK version. The transfer, especially for Part I, is INSANE!

Although I heard the US cut was actually pretty good, I can't imagine being satisfied after watching both parts. There's so much detail and character development, the movie doesn't feel like 5 hours either.

So bottom line, I'd go for the UK to save some dough but if not make sure you get the international version from the US.
Old 03-09-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went ahead and pre-ordered the US release of the International Version. I'll cancel if it gets shitty reviews or the HK version suddenly drops in price.
Old 03-09-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its $80 shipped for both on yesasia. Still pricy, but not the $100 mentioned. Check dddhouse, hkflix, blueasia, can prob still find it cheaper as yesasia is usually a bit more.
Old 03-09-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless I can get both for around $25.49 (the current price for Red Cliff International Version - Part I & Part II at Amazon), I don't see myself getting the HK release. It's the same reason I've been holding out for a US release of Ip Man.
Old 03-09-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any good reason not to get the US version? I can't figure out why you all are spending so much money to import when we're getting the films here in a mere three weeks. Have some details surfaced to show that the Magnolia release will have inferior technical specs, or what?
Old 03-09-10, 01:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Unless I can get both for around $25.49 (the current price for Red Cliff International Version - Part I & Part II at Amazon), I don't see myself getting the HK release. It's the same reason I've been holding out for a US release of Ip Man.
I spent $30 for the HK release of Ip Man - and it's been worth every penny. Great picture and 7.1 audio to boot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.