Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli's first catalog title on blu is 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind'

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Studio Ghibli's first catalog title on blu is 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind'

Old 12-07-10, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Studio Ghibli's first catalog title on blu is 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

I know it wasn't the best received of titles, but still...whatever happened to a North American release of Tales of Earthsea? I never got to see this in theatres as it completely skipped Vancouver (the closest city that usually has second-run titles). Amazon has had it as a pre-order for close to six months (or more?) and I'm starting to get the feeling it's been cancelled or forgotten. Also, I heard this came out in the UK - was that DVD only?
Old 12-07-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Studio Ghibli's first catalog title on blu is 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Originally Posted by Chicken Warrior
I know it wasn't the best received of titles, but still...whatever happened to a North American release of Tales of Earthsea? I never got to see this in theatres as it completely skipped Vancouver (the closest city that usually has second-run titles). Amazon has had it as a pre-order for close to six months (or more?) and I'm starting to get the feeling it's been cancelled or forgotten.
Both Amazon and Disney themselves say March 8. The U.S. release looks to be DVD-only, as was the UK release. There's no Blu version anywhere.
Old 12-08-10, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Average
Both Amazon and Disney themselves say March 8. The U.S. release looks to be DVD-only, as was the UK release. There's no Blu version anywhere.
Old 12-08-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the record, there are no Blu-ray versions of most Studio Ghibli films anywhere in the world as well. It's not just Tales of Earthsea.
Old 12-08-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Ghibli's been slow to get into BD -- Ponyo was their first one and that was 2 1/2 years after Earthsea hit video. They could've released some catalog titles in the interim, but they didn't. I don't think it was a decision to ignore Earthsea specifically, for whatever reason they just weren't ready for Blu at that point.
Old 03-08-11, 07:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Disney is certainly not distributing out alot of copies of 'Nausicaa' to Best Buy stores: online the Tysons and Potomac Yards stores indicate they don't have any in-store copies, and only three copies were sent to the Tenleytown store - (it took around 15 minutes to find those copies by two employees).
Old 03-08-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Disney is certainly not distributing out alot of copies of 'Nausicaa' to Best Buy stores: online the Tysons and Potomac Yards stores indicate they don't have any in-store copies, and only three copies were sent to the Tenleytown store - (it took around 15 minutes to find those copies by two employees).
I stopped by Potomac Yards around 11:30, and couldn't find a copy anywhere. I probably should've asked someone, but I didn't feel like dealing with Best Buy's lack of customer service, especially for a movie called "Nausicaa." I can only imagine the dumbfounded looks I would've received...
Old 03-08-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were 3 copies at the Paducah Best Buy this morning (now 2, since I bought a copy).

This was the only place to get it, as none of the other stores had it in stock.

Hopefully sales end up doing well enough to justify the releases of the rest of them. I'm personally looking forward to Princess Mononoke, while my girlfriend is definitely looking forward to Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro.
Old 03-08-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Only two copies at the (very small) BB near me at 5:30. As others have reported, they were co-mingled with the rest of the A-Z Blu-rays, not with the new releases.

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 03-09-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Best buy is not ordering alot of copies is the more likely scenario
Old 03-09-11, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
This.
Old 03-09-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
This.
Agreed. That's the case for most of the retailers, since my store didn't order any copies. I tried to rectify that, but apparently, it wasn't soon enough to get any in for the release date...
Old 04-02-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like the UK is getting both Laputa: Castle In The Sky and My Neighbours The Yamadas on May 9, 2011:

Hopefully we get these, especially Laputa (which is probably my favorite Miyazaki film, next to Spirted Away) in the United States later this year.
Old 04-02-11, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that they would've put out Spirited Away or Tortoro.
Old 04-02-11, 04:57 PM
TRC

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I would think that they would've put out Spirited Away or Tortoro.
Spirited Away and Totoro on Blu-ray won't happen until they're released on Blu-ray in Japan first. Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas already have Japanese Blu-ray releases.
Old 04-02-11, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Looks like the UK is getting both Laputa: Castle In The Sky and My Neighbours The Yamadas on May 9, 2011:

Hopefully we get these, especially Laputa (which is probably my favorite Miyazaki film, next to Spirted Away) in the United States later this year.
I LOVE the cover on Laputa. I hope US will use that cover too.
Old 04-02-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TRC
Spirited Away and Totoro on Blu-ray won't happen until they're released on Blu-ray in Japan first. Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas already have Japanese Blu-ray releases.
Even so, it's still surprising Spirted Away and My Neighbor Totoro haven't been released in Japan. I would have thought one of those titles, probably Totoro, would have been released in conjunction with Ponyo.