Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: AVATAR Blu-ray - 4/22/10

Originally Posted by Blu Man
If it was shot digitally and shown digitally how is it "film like"?
grain and texture usually noticeable in film probably.
Old 04-20-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think I figured out why the dialogue sounds so weird to me. The dialogue sounds as if the vocals were processed in a similar manner that is done for pop singers for their albums. It's the best way to describe what I'm hearing.
You mean, they Auto-tuned the Avatar dialogue?
Old 04-20-10, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
According to some of the posts on AVSforum, this disc has some new copyright protection scheme that is making it difficult for people to take screencaps.
Best Buy has a 'recall' notice on store shelves warning customers that Avatar will require a firmware update to play. And, of course, the Geeksquad can help you out for only $29.99 I imagine this thread/forum might be busy with new Blu-ray owners wondering WTF is going on with their player.
Old 04-20-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Best Buy has a 'recall' notice on store shelves warning customers that Avatar will require a firmware update to play. And, of course, the Geeksquad can help you out for only $29.99 I imagine this thread/forum might be busy with new Blu-ray owners wondering WTF is going on with their player.
I have to go in just to see that sign. $30 for the Geeksquad to help you play a $20 disc . Well at least they give you some warning.
Old 04-20-10, 10:35 AM
Suspended

I tried to take a picture but it came out too light.
Old 04-20-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I tried to take a picture but it came out too light.
Maybe you can hire the Geeksquad to help you out with that
Old 04-20-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Fucking worthless threadcrapper.
Well said.
Old 04-20-10, 11:52 AM

Forgive me if this was already discussed, but why the Thursday release? Do you think many stores will mess up and put it out today? Also, I noticed the Iron Man 2 AC/DC soundtrack came out on Monday. Is this going to become a trend with new media not always hitting on Tuesdays?
Old 04-20-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Forgive me if this was already discussed, but why the Thursday release? Do you think many stores will mess up and put it out today? Also, I noticed the Iron Man 2 AC/DC soundtrack came out on Monday. Is this going to become a trend with new media not always hitting on Tuesdays?
Thursday is Earth Day
Old 04-20-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
No...sure beats the hell out of them including a worthless digital copy instead....

I guarantee you this BD would still cost $20 this week at Target even if it did not include the DVD....you are not actually being charged anything extra for the inclusion of the DVD copy....

If the "bonus" included DVD bothers you that much, just throw it away once you open the case....
I agree. I was going to pass on this release and wait for the SE in November. But yesterday I asked my local library director* if she wanted to buy the Avatar DVD for the library for $12 and she said yes. It's a decent deal for the library since the market price for the DVD seems to be $16 and it is sure to be popular among library patrons.

That makes my cost for the BD $8, and for that, why not?

*(It helps that I am a longtime member of the library district board of trustees and the director has been a friend for a decade.)
Old 04-20-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For anyone complaining about the inclusion of a DVD copy of the film, think of it this way: If this was just a 1-disc Blu-ray then it would surely come in one of those craptacular eco-cases. Since I assume a 2-disc eco-case hasn't been produced yet, I'm happy that this is a 2-disc release for this reason alone.
Old 04-20-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yavin
For anyone complaining about the inclusion of a DVD copy of the film, think of it this way: If this was just a 1-disc Blu-ray then it would surely come in one of those craptacular eco-cases. Since I assume a 2-disc eco-case hasn't been produced yet, I'm happy that this is a 2-disc release for this reason alone.
2-disc eco cases do exist. And they suck twice as bad.
Old 04-20-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
2-disc eco cases do exist. And they suck twice as bad.
Damn. Well, I hope this is not packaged in a 2-disc eco-case then ... Cursed environment!!
Old 04-20-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
You mean, they Auto-tuned the Avatar dialogue?
Is that what you call the effect when you hear a song and can tell a singer's voice has been "sweetened" in the studio? That's what I'm hearing when people speak in this movie. The worst dialogue instances occur from 00:09:53 to 00:10:08 and when Sigourney Weaver speaks in the scene directly following that one. The rest aren't so bad.
Old 04-20-10, 11:07 PM
Cool New Member

i watched it today,and i have to say its one of the best blu ray movies i have ever seen!,the detail is definately there,and the sound was great.i can see where some people say its alittle washed out.i think thats how its meant to be.given the colors of pandora.but it was amazing,and def more detail is noticed that you wouldnt have in theaters.
Old 04-21-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Picked it up yesterday, gonna watch it in about 2 minutes!!

Old 04-21-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For anyone who is interested in what other countries are offering, while the only exclusive in the US is Walmart's 3D Avatar sticker:

James Cameron's Avatar DVD & Blu-ray: The complete guide to worldwide limited collectible exclusives
Old 04-21-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is that what you call the effect when you hear a song and can tell a singer's voice has been "sweetened" in the studio? That's what I'm hearing when people speak in this movie. The worst dialogue instances occur from 00:09:53 to 00:10:08 and when Sigourney Weaver speaks in the scene directly following that one. The rest aren't so bad.
I didn't hear any of that and didn't see any contrast problems.
Have you checked the settings on your system
Old 04-21-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
I didn't hear any of that and didn't see any contrast problems.
Have you checked the settings on your system
Yup, I've checked my settings.

Regarding the contrast, I only find it slightly off. A user earlier suggested it may simply be the limitations of the digital camera used. Makes sense as my reference titles for video on BD have been film-based transfers. And I think it simply irked me more than it should because I was expecting absolute perfection.

The audio is fantastic but I don't dig how the dialogue sounds. Try comparing the dialogue sound quality to scenes from Star Trek or Red Cliff. They sound natural and not tweaked (though, like all movies, I'm sure they were). The dialogue in Avatar sounds clean and clear but just ever so artificial. Again, I believe my ridiculously high expectations for this one release are to blame.

I think I worded this best in my response to a poster over at Blu-ray.com:

And I expressed myself poorly when I said I was not impressed.

You know how it is when something is just so good that pathetically minor flaws stick out more than they would (if at all) from something of lesser quality? That's what's going on with me here. I expected perfection (which is impossible) and this disc almost deliverse which has the adverse effect of making me notice it's flaws more.

When I say the contrast is a touch off, I'm referring to something extremely minor. Take a disc like Star Trek and move your contrast setting a single notch lower than where it should be. The end result is all I'm seeing.

As for the audio, the best (or rather worst) example of what I've heard both times I watched the movie occurs from 00:09:53 to 00:10:08. Listen to the guy on the right who isn't Dileep Rao. Also, when Sigourney Weaver speaks in the scene directly following that one, her voice has a similar odd tonal quality (though not as pronounced as the previous example).

You know when you hear a song and can tell a singer's voice has been "sweetened" in the studio? That's what I'm hearing when people speak in this movie. The worst dialogue instances are those two I mentioned the rest aren't so bad.

Both those complaints are minor and nitpicky. But they were glaring to me because the film otherwise looks and sounds fantastic.
For the record, I have my set calibrated using my BD copy of Digital Video Essentials and my receiver/speakers were calibrated via Audyssey MultEQ XT.
Old 04-22-10, 01:21 AM

So where's these deleted scenes I heard about? The BD I got has disc one Blu ray feature movie, DVD has standard def feature movie. No trailers, no nothing. It's as bare bones as bare bones get. There are literally no extras. I thought I read earlier about these extra scenes that were part of the movie and that they would be included in the blu-ray.
Old 04-22-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Teremei
So where's these deleted scenes I heard about? The BD I got has disc one Blu ray feature movie, DVD has standard def feature movie. No trailers, no nothing. It's as bare bones as bare bones get. There are literally no extras. I thought I read earlier about these extra scenes that were part of the movie and that they would be included in the blu-ray.

But if you read that, then you must have read the endless talk about the fact that extras will be part of a 4 disc special edition in November.
Old 04-22-10, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Teremei
oh for the love of Christ. You're on the internet. Look it up. As I've previously posted on another thread for the same question, which I find very ez to answer cuz it's wide knowledge (you know...the internet knows about it) and it's on the web, Wikipedia has it. Seriously...you're on the internet about a home video feature or lack of...I'm sure it's on here somewhere.

Wikipedia:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the film on DVD and Blu-ray in the US on April 22, 2010[241] and in the UK on April 26.[242] The first DVD and Blu-ray release will not contain any supplemental features other than the theatrical film and the disk menu in favor of and to make space for the most optimal picture and sound. The release will also preserve the film's native 1.78:1 (16:9) format as Cameron felt that was the best format to watch the film.[243] While Cameron has stated that Avatar will be released in 3D around November 2010, the studio has stated the opposite: "3D is in the conceptual stage and Avatar will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November."[244] Cameron told The Wall Street Journal that there will be further editions of DVD and Blu-ray available in the future
also...as barebones as barebones can get would mean you'd only get the BD and no DVD. I'm assuming this has a menu as well...yeah...not barebones as barebones can get. You got a DVD of the feature. It can get worse.
Old 04-22-10, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Alright - so it's release day and I am curious to read the 'it won't load!!!!' posts.
Old 04-22-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Supposedly some players need a firmware update to play this disc due to it having a new copy protection scheme.

I had no issues on my PS3.
Old 04-22-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Pioneer and Panasonic issued new firmware last week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.