Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-17-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not find any other threads on the subject on DVD Talk.

I was not aware that these things expire. I've never even activated one, but I might if they will soon become only useful as coasters.

Nicely compiled list with dates and which ones are already expired can be found HERE
Old 02-17-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired

ive known about them expiring for a while. ive heard u can contact the distributor and explain that you didnt know it expired, or already expired after purchase and they would give u a new code? not sure how true it is, but it might be worth trying.

btw, thanks for posting that list, i see i have a few that have already expired or expiring real soon.
Old 02-17-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Dark Knight code still seems to work, but I don't get how to download the digital copy to the HD. That's for the Windows Media Player version though. I have read iTunes is more enforcing with the dates.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 02-17-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been said before and it'll be said again, but this just solidifies the fact that a digital copy is not a "special feature." It may be a "bonus" to some, but it's not a feature. Since when do special features expire?

From Wikipedia: "To limit the number of free digital copies, the disc typically comes with a single-use code to authenticate a computer over the internet."

Digital copies are simply included to dissuade people from ripping copies for friends, sharing via P2P or newsgroups, etc. and the studios have found a way to bilk people into believing they're getting something extra.

I can't wait until digital copies go the way of DIVX disposable discs...
Old 02-17-10, 09:33 PM
Banned

Maybe I'm in the minority but I throw them on the comp the day I buy them
Old 02-17-10, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by bd...? View Post
Many sell them on eBay.

TLK
Old 02-17-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that at first, but then I ended up with about 20 GB worth of digital copies that I'm probably never going to watch anyway, so now I just don't even bother with them.
Old 02-18-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me too. I've got plenty of free space on my comp, so I just rip all of them on there. Plus, I change up the movies on my iPhone frequently, so it helps to have a varied selection.
Old 02-18-10, 12:37 PM

Slightly off topic.. I used the code on Star Trek day one Just to see if it worked because..
when I tried the code for Dark Knight way back when it was new, they wanted to charge me $1.99 and I had to sign up for their distribution system.
Old 02-18-10, 12:46 PM

Kudos to Disney. They have extended the expiration dates of their digital copies to 24 months after release: http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/di...le/movies.html
Old 02-18-10, 01:19 PM

I picked up a used Clone Wars blu from Gohastings recently, and got the "expired" notice when I tried to transfer the digitial copy to my computer. That was the first I had heard about digital copies expiring. Pretty bush league as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-18-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 486 Posts

This is stupid to me and part of why I don't like digital copies. I now have a bunch of useless discs. What a waste of good materials that could be used to make something actually worthwhile.
Old 02-18-10, 03:03 PM

I have never "activated" a DC on my comp nor do I see myself doing so anytime. However I was unaware that they expire although now it pisses me off that they do, it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by I_Like_Movies; 02-18-10 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 02-18-10, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Me too. I've got plenty of free space on my comp, so I just rip all of them on there. Plus, I change up the movies on my iPhone frequently, so it helps to have a varied selection.
Ditto. I'm always on my comp when not doing anything important or which necessitates me to be on it. Just a couples a clicks and BAM...movie right there.
Old 02-18-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I prefer DVDs instead of digital copies. I can rip them to any device I want, and they never expire.
Old 02-18-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Digital copy lol
Old 02-19-10, 11:36 PM

Digital copies, especially on Bluray versions, are not very useful to me. I mean, I spent extra to get a high-def version of the film. Most films I can only watch every so often, and I'm not going to waste a viewing watching the movie on my laptop/ipod for a film I've paid extra to have on Bluray.

Sure, it only takes a moment to transfer it over, and I've got plenty of free space, but seriously - I'm never going to watch a digital version of Valkyrie.
Old 02-20-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never use the digital copies myself. I pass the copy on to my roommate, and then take the disc back.
Old 02-21-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the reason for the codes and such. I just popped in my Dark Knight digital copy disk, went right to the folder on it with the WMV files and copied them to my hard drive and they play fine.
Old 02-21-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This doesn't really have to do with the topic, but I don't want to start a thread just to mention this. I was in an Ingles grocery store the other day, tons of them here in the south east, and there on their used DVD shelf they had DVD cases with handwritten covers saying what the title was and all of that. But it wasn't DVDs...it was just digital copy codes in the cases, and they were asking $7.99 for them.
Old 02-26-10, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
My Dark Knight code still seems to work, but I don't get how to download the digital copy to the HD. That's for the Windows Media Player version though. I have read iTunes is more enforcing with the dates.
Yep. The expiration date for The Dark Knight is supposedly 12/09/2009, but I just downloaded the digital copy into iTunes on my PC today, and it works just fine.

TLK
Old 02-26-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone have issues with the digital copy from the Batman digibook (or whatever those awful things are called)? I tried to redeem mine the other day in Itunes and the code comes up as invalid.
Old 02-26-10, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
Yep. The expiration date for The Dark Knight is supposedly 12/09/2009, but I just downloaded the digital copy into iTunes on my PC today, and it works just fine.
Just a follow-up on my own experimentation with Warner Bros. digital copies. I also successfully downloaded the digital copy from Star Wars: The Clone Wars today, which was supposed to have expired 11/11/2009.

TLK
Old 02-26-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
This doesn't really have to do with the topic, but I don't want to start a thread just to mention this. I was in an Ingles grocery store the other day, tons of them here in the south east, and there on their used DVD shelf they had DVD cases with handwritten covers saying what the title was and all of that. But it wasn't DVDs...it was just digital copy codes in the cases, and they were asking $7.99 for them.
Haha, I actually saw those at work yesterday. They were only $2.99 each. That may just be my store though.

But yeah, I personally find digital copies to be useless.
Old 02-26-10, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit View Post
But yeah, I personally find digital copies to be useless.
If you have a portable media device and commute a reasonably long distance using public transportation, you might feel differently.

TLK

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.