DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Funny Farm/Spies Like Us Double Feature Blu-Ray at Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/569647-funny-farm-spies-like-us-double-feature-blu-ray-best-buy.html)

cornbetts 02-17-10 01:42 PM

Funny Farm/Spies Like Us Double Feature Blu-Ray at Best Buy

Does anyone know any details on this? The review is up at Home Theater Forum and it appears to be a Best Buy exclusive, but their website shows nothing indicating that they will carry this. It is supposed to come out next week.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...double-feature

E Unit 02-17-10 01:58 PM

Re: Funny Farm/Spies Like Us Double Feature Blu-Ray at Best Buy

Ta Da!

Here's the discussion on it as well as many other Warner's titles like this.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566...lyze-more.html

Daytripper 02-17-10 04:22 PM

I love love love "Funny Farm". But let's see, a Warner Brothers Blu-Ray release...on a 1988 film.....slapped together on a double feature disc with another movie. I can only imagine the quality.

bunkaroo 02-17-10 04:30 PM

It's been on HDnet and is about what you'd expect. Considering there's never even been a widescreen DVD release of Funny Farm, I'll gladly take it.

WMAangel 02-17-10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 10004154)
But let's see, a Warner Brothers Blu-Ray release...on a 1988 film.....slapped together on a double feature disc with another movie. I can only imagine the quality.

That fact has absolutely no baring on the actual quality of the outcome....if "Funny Farm" ends up looking bad, it will be due to the source materials used and not the result of any overcompression....a dual layer BD-50 disc has more than ample space for both films (that each run under two hours in length)....
Think of it this way: IF Warner had released the two movies separately, neither would have been given more than a single layer BD-25 anyway...

smashthesymbols 02-17-10 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10004168)
It's been on HDnet and is about what you'd expect. Considering there's never even been a widescreen DVD release of Funny Farm, I'll gladly take it.

I'm with you. As long as it's OAR and watchable quality I'm in. I've always wanted Funny Farm.

Daytripper 02-17-10 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 10004260)
That fact has absolutely no baring on the actual quality of the outcome....if "Funny Farm" ends up looking bad, it will be due to the source materials used and not the result of any overcompression....a dual layer BD-50 disc has more than ample space for both films (that each run under two hours in length)....
Think of it this way: IF Warner had released the two movies separately, neither would have been given more than a single layer BD-25 anyway...

I know the quality has to do with the source. Not only do I not expect that to be all that great in the first place, but I doubt WB will go out of their way to clean it up. Like so many of their older titles and the crappy PQ's on Blu.

AmityBoatTours 02-18-10 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 10004260)

Exactly! you are correct!
when i hear people(like the post you responded to) say that about the quality must be lacking on double feature discs, I want to direct them to the Canadian import of the Halloween Tripple feature bluray, that had 3 movies on one disc and the image on all three are the best those movies have ever looked on home video and thats three movies on one disc.

islandclaws 02-18-10 10:29 AM

Is this out now?

Gizmo 02-18-10 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10005362)
Is this out now?

2/23 apparently.

Daytripper 02-18-10 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10004852)
Exactly! you are correct!
when i hear people(like the post you responded to) say that about the quality must be lacking on double feature discs, I want to direct them to the Canadian import of the Halloween Tripple feature bluray, that had 3 movies on one disc and the image on all three are the best those movies have ever looked on home video and thats three movies on one disc.

I'm not saying the quality will be lacking because it's a double feature. See my second response above.

Michael Corvin 02-18-10 01:38 PM

The original Spies DVD was non-anamorphic as well, right?

islandclaws 02-18-10 01:53 PM

^ It was full-frame.

ericmylad 02-22-10 11:51 AM

Anyone have any info on this? Does anyone know if Best Buy here in the States will be carrying this tomorow? Can't find any trace of this on their website. I can always call them tomorrow but wanted to check with my fellow DVDTalkers first. Thanks

Gizmo 02-22-10 12:29 PM

I don't see anything either, but it obviously exists as it's been reviewed. Guess we'll know tomorrow.

bunkaroo 02-22-10 06:21 PM

I'm going to BB in the morning to look for this and pick up Heavy Rain for the PS3. I'll report back my findings.

Michael Corvin 02-22-10 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10013052)
I'll report back my findings.

:up:

Spies is my favorite comedy, but I haven't watched it in years because of how shitty the DVD is. Hopefully the BD is passable, passable in a, hopefully it's at least anamorphic way.

El Kabong 02-23-10 09:24 AM

I called 2 Best Buys and neither has it. Anyone have any luck at all? Spies Like Us is one of the few 80's movies I don't have on dvd because it was fullframe (but we got anamorphic Doctor Detroit). Another that also came out as a double feature/ fullframe only was Man With 2 Brains. I'd love to see that one in the next batch.

BrandonJF 02-23-10 09:29 AM

I went to my Best Buy and not only did they not have "Spies Like Us/Funny Farm", they didn't have ANY of the WB double features.

Wasn't the only "confirmation" that this was a BB exclusive the listing at BestBuy.com that has since been removed? WB/Best Buy never announced it, right?

ericmylad 02-23-10 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF (Post 10013946)
Wasn't the only "confirmation" that this was a BB exclusive the listing at BestBuy.com that has since been removed? WB/Best Buy never announced it, right?

Over at Home Theater Forum, they reviewed a copy and at one point the reviewer posted an email from a WB rep that stated it was both a Canada and BB exclusive but would be avaliable in the States everywhere "soon".

bunkaroo 02-23-10 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF (Post 10013946)
I went to my Best Buy and not only did they not have "Spies Like Us/Funny Farm", they didn't have ANY of the WB double features.

Same here. And none of them are listed as available for pickup at any store around me.

Happened to stop at Target and they did have the Frantic/Presumed Innocent and Dirty set out so they are out there. Amazon Ca lists the Funny Farm double as in stock so I'm sure it's coming eventually. I'll just wait to see when it's listed on BB's site and I'll grab it then.

RyoHazuki 02-23-10 11:00 AM

Here's what they said at HTF:

This is the first time either of these titles have been available in a widescreen format. Previously released on DVD in 4:3 only, these titles look remarkably better filling up all two million+ pixels on a widescreen television. Depth perception is dramatically improved, fine details are seen, and the only artefacts noticed are source-related. Funny Farm has the most noticeable improvements as it transfers well to high definition. The image has good contrast, colour that’s a bit dated, but fine details that come through well in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. There was some faint-brownish colour shifting happening towards the right of the screen, mostly noticed during the beginning of the film. It was mild and I soon forgot about it. I didn’t notice it throughout. It could’ve been there and I also could’ve forgotten about it.

Spies Like Us doesn’t get all of the same complements. While most of the film is fairly consistent with similar qualities as the above, still there are scenes/shots that just don’t look so good. Black levels can be completely crushed wiping out any shadow detail, but in the same shot it can also look washed out. This look plugs up fidelity and luminance of colour. Instead of clearly defined, it is drowned out in a thick, pasty smudge. A scene that comes to mind would be that of when Emmett and Austin have been caught after the hilarious test-cheating incident (Chase is priceless with his facial expressions). When the boys are told of their “promotion” you can notice the oddities in the source. This is not to say all scenes are like this - far from it, in fact. Image depth can be admired considering what we've seen in the past. For example, when the boys are dropped from the airplane into a group of samurais at night, shadow detail can be quite solid and the image appears three dimensional. Overall it’s a bit hit and miss with this title and deserves a half-point less than Funny Farm. It's not like the newest releases, but it's pretty darn good for an upgrade.

HighSpeedOnIce 02-23-10 06:34 PM

No luck at my local Best Buy today. :sad:

kevin75 02-23-10 07:46 PM

no luck at mine either. they didn't have any of the double feature discs.

whotony 02-24-10 05:31 PM

a Knucklehead in that topic at htf posted "picked one up today" without saying were it was picked up from.