Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman BD Anthology - Burton/Schumacher individual releases May 4

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-17-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4177

Although the anthology can be found for much less than originally released, all four movies - Batman (already out but maybe this time it's a standard Blu-ray case instead of a digibook), Returns, Forever and of course that other one will finally be available on their own May 4th with no content changes.

They'll probably do the same for the Matrix movies at some point.
Old 02-17-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Batman BD Anthology - Burton/Schumacher individual releases May 4

Yay! Batman Returns and then I'm DONE.
Old 02-17-10, 12:21 PM

I'd love a DigiBook for Returns.
Old 02-17-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

What a coincidence, I was just thinking about this like 30 minutes ago driving back to work. Glad I'll be able to get Returns finally, and on my birthday no less!
Old 02-17-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's my dilemma: I already bought Batman in the digibook with digital copy. I don't care what the haters say, that digibook rocks and I love that I have this movie on my iPod for the odd occasion I might want to watch it on the go. Anyway, while I readily agree that Batman & Robin is a colossal failure on every level, I have no shame in saying I never cared much for Batman Returns (I can't stand DeVito's Penguin), and I actually enjoyed Batman Forever. You'd think I'd be excited at not being forced to re-buy the first movie or acquire sequels I didn't like just to get the one that I do, but for some reason now I'm feeling like I ought to just go ahead and get the Anthology box on Blu-ray so I can part with its DVD counterpart. Grrr...!
Old 02-17-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the first two installments, but I also like Batman Forever, even though it took the franchise in a completely different reaction. Batman & Robin I hated though, but as a completist, I went for the Anthology BD set already.

I thought the Anthology set can already be had for pretty cheap anyway. I bought mine for about $33 late last year. I thought the new price for it at Walmart (Canada) was about $40, but it seems it's back up to $94 CAD.
Old 02-17-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yavin
I thought the Anthology set can already be had for pretty cheap anyway. I bought mine for about $33 late last year. I thought the new price for it at Walmart (Canada) was about $40, but it seems it's back up to $94 CAD.
Yeah, those price drops weren't permanent. If I hadn't been so passionate about getting the digibook release of Batman, I would've bought the Anthology when Best Buy had it on sale last December.
Old 02-17-10, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
I'd love a DigiBook for Returns.
^this

I have the digibook for the first batman and hope they release a digibook for Returns. I can tolerate Batman Forever but wont buy it unless i can get it under $10...batman and robin will never be found in my collection! lol
Old 02-17-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already got the UK Batman Returns on order, so I'll pass on these. What's with the love for digibooks? They don't fit in with the other discs, cost an extra $5, and all you get is a few unilluminating pages of studio fluff that you could read on IMDB in five minutes.

Last edited by NoirFan; 02-17-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I've already got the UK Batman Returns on order, so I'll pass on these. What's with the love for digibooks? They don't fit in with the other discs, cost an extra $5, and all you get is a few unilluminating pages of studio fluff that you could read on IMDB in five minutes.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't get the hate for the digibooks. I only have Batman, but I look forward to Doctor Zhivago. That they're inconsistent with the shape of BD cases is entirely unimportant to me. And in the case of Batman, I thought it was a bit of a thrill to find pages from the screenplay and the comic adaptation reprinted alongside original photos, etc. It's a 50 page scrapbook from not just the film, but the "Batmania" of '89.
Old 02-17-10, 05:05 PM

What's with the love for digibooks? They don't fit in with the other discs, cost an extra $5, and all you get is a few unilluminating pages of studio fluff that you could read on IMDB in five minutes.
i dont love them or hate them. I only have a few digibooks (Batman, Shawshank, Green Mile). I mainly wanted a digibook for Batman Retuns bc of how well the digibook was done for Batman.
Old 02-17-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

IWhat's with the love for digibooks? They don't fit in with the other discs, cost an extra $5, and all you get is a few unilluminating pages of studio fluff that you could read on IMDB in five minutes.
I like them because they look classier than the regular BD case and (most of the time anyway) set apart films that deserve such special treatment. It doesn't bother me in the least that they're not exactly the same size as a regular BD case (and have never understood some people's obsession with uniformity). I don't buy them until they get down to my price point (just like any other release), so a higher starting MSRP is not an issue. The quality of the booklet content varies from digibook to digibook, but Batman's is definitely beyond "studio fluff that you could read on IMDB" and reading glossy, full color pages is a preferable experience to text on a screen scattered amongst obnoxious flash ads.
Old 02-17-10, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so in the anthology were they all digipacks or not? And did they all have DCs?
Old 02-17-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
so in the anthology were they all digipacks or not? And did they all have DCs?
Negative, they're all in slim Blu-ray cases in the Anthology. Only the first Batman comes with a digital copy.

Old 02-17-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the Anthology, they were in slimline cases and only Batman had a Digital Copy.
Old 02-18-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the thing that makes having batman and robin worth while is the special features, that audio commentary by Joel schumacher is one of the best and most honest looks at what can and does go wrong a big hollywood movie. Its also funny hearing Kilmer and Schumachers conflicting responses as to why he was not in Batman and RObin.

The movie sucks but its a great lesson in how NOT to make a movie.
Old 02-18-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
the thing that makes having batman and robin worth while is the special features, that audio commentary by Joel schumacher is one of the best and most honest looks at what can and does go wrong a big hollywood movie. Its also funny hearing Kilmer and Schumachers conflicting responses as to why he was not in Batman and RObin.
Chris O'Donnell's frustrated, "I was making a toy commercial" remarks are also fairly entertaining. And you've omitted the best of them all...Joel Schumacher's apology.
Old 02-18-10, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Batman Forever wasn't that bad. Batman And Robin.....well, it's pretty bad, but I've seen worse.
Old 02-18-10, 10:05 PM
Banned

it's funny...as a kid, I thought Batman and Robin was awesome..cuz only at that moment did it make sense that Batman had all that stuff cuz he action figures always did. Do you know how hard it is to find JUST a regular (Non special suit) Batman figure back in the 90s?
Old 02-18-10, 10:29 PM

Love "Forever". Always have.
Old 02-18-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Batman Forever wasn't that bad. Batman And Robin.....well, it's pretty bad, but I've seen worse.
I enjoy Batman Forever. It doesn't take itself seriously, but I thought that Kilmer, Kidman and O'Donnell managed to bring just enough gravity to some of their scenes to keep it interesting. It's fun the way Dick Tracy was fun, and I have long favored it over Batman Returns, which has always felt schizophrenic to me.

Do you know how hard it is to find JUST a regular (Non special suit) Batman figure back in the 90s?
Sho' nuff! I always wondered under what circumstances Batman would actually set out from the cave wearing a hunter-vest-orange suit with a scuba mask over his cowl and a robotic grappling claw twice his own size on his back.
Old 02-18-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in for Batman Forever. I never liked Batman Returns, and the less said about B&R, the better.
Old 02-18-10, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Sho' nuff! I always wondered under what circumstances Batman would actually set out from the cave wearing a hunter-vest-orange suit with a scuba mask over his cowl and a robotic grappling claw twice his own size on his back.
Yeah, I was probably one of the minority of kids who didn't give a damn about all that crap. I just wanted a badass definitive looking Batman. At least the villains didn't have that much variation in comparison to all those Batmen.
Old 02-18-10, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I was probably one of the minority of kids who didn't give a damn about all that crap. I just wanted a badass definitive looking Batman. At least the villains didn't have that much variation in comparison to all those Batmen.
Right there with you.

I remember the only standard figure I could find was a two-pack of Batman and Robin. I had Two-Face (still have the coin he came with!) the Batmobile (I'm in the ridiculously tiny minority who loved the "Forever" Batmobile. Still love it), Batwing, Batboat and I built my own Batcave set and tried many, many times to make the Batboat float using styrofoam chunks inside the hull that split open to transform into a land vehicle. All attempts failed.

I hate, hate, HATE those stupid variant Batman figures that came with every movie.
Old 02-18-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kilmer was my favorite Bruce Wayne the Burton Schumacher films.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.