Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

Originally Posted by Trevor
Who buys just one title at a time?

Or are you the one who only eats one potato chip too?
Well it depends on what else is out or on sale!
Old 05-13-10, 03:53 PM

Did SPR come in an eco case? I don't remember, but that's what they're getting back when I exchange mine. I'm also keeping the slipcover if I send it in the mail.
Old 05-13-10, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by akrate69
Did SPR come in an eco case? I don't remember, but that's what they're getting back when I exchange mine. I'm also keeping the slipcover if I send it in the mail.
....are you trying to make a statement to the man or what?
Old 05-13-10, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....are you trying to make a statement to the man or what?
No, not really. I always change out the eco cases as I have plenty of extras. You'd think I could remember if SPR was an eco, it's only been about a week ago. Just a good opportunity to get rid of an eco. Look at it this way, if they do destroy the cases with the discs, then the eco will have served it's purpose. On the slipcover part, I just want to make sure I end up with one. If I end up with 2, that's ok also (look at it like a trade off for the inconvenience).
Old 05-13-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

No eco-case here. Also, usually with a studo-based disc-exchange program, they only require you to send back the disc, and hang on to everything else.
Old 05-13-10, 10:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When I called today, the SPR exchange rep said anyone with the first issue can return it to where they purchased it for a replacement, no receipt required. Or give them your name and address and you will be sent a prepaid envelope to return it in.

Of course I don't know if the "no receipt" part is true or not, but it would save them money from having to pay shipping charges both ways. Retail stores must be getting plenty of extra copies for trade ins.

I got my copy from Amazon, but if stores will be accepting with no receipt, that's my route.
can I take it back to any Best Buy - I really don't have to go all the way over to the Potomac Yards (Alexandria) BB, when I can walk over to my neighborhood Tenleytown store.
Old 05-13-10, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
can I take it back to any Best Buy - I really don't have to go all the way over to the Potomac Yards (Alexandria) BB, when I can walk over to my neighborhood Tenleytown store.
That's kind of how I took it when she said "no receipt required", but we'll see. Maybe they'll do what BuckNake2k said and just ship stores the one replacement disc, that makes more sense. They really don't need the 2nd disc back, it's not defective. I don't know how it will work with the UPC on the corrected version being yellow, and ours still being white after the exchange (they could give us a sticker to place over the UPC).
Old 05-13-10, 10:58 PM

Someone ask me another question so I can get 1 more post and become a "Senior Member".
Old 05-13-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

That's kind of how I took it when she said "no receipt required", but we'll see. Maybe they'll do what BuckNaked2k said and just ship stores the one replacement disc, that makes more sense. They really don't need the 2nd disc back, it's not defective.
No, no....that's not what I meant. I think if you go the route with the studio pre-paid mailer, you'll only need to send back the defective disc.

With retailers, I'd be surprised if they get just the discs in. It's more likely you'd just swap the old package for a new, shrink-wrapped one.
Old 05-13-10, 11:07 PM

OK, got it. (2 ways )
Old 05-14-10, 12:11 AM
Banned

I got an email from amazon stating I will get another email once they get the replacement to replace mine. lol
Old 05-14-10, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's funny
Old 05-14-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Supposedly Amazon is/will be emailing everyone who bought SPR from them with instructions on doing an exchange in the next few days.
Thanks, just the information I was looking for.
Old 05-14-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They now have SPR back available for $19.99 with an expected ship date of 10-13 days. Interesting.
Old 05-15-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I bought SPR when it came out watched the scene where the dialogue is supposed to be out of sync and it plays just fine on my sony BDP-S360 player.
Old 05-15-10, 07:57 PM

I haven't played mine yet, but I figure that if there is a corrected copy available, why not get the fixed one so I won't have problems when I upgrade my system
Old 05-15-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Noticed it was still on the shelves today at BB and Target. At least 20 copies at BB. Guess they didnt get the memo. Still seemed to be the original release since nothing else seemed to be different in the UPC or cover.
Old 05-16-10, 01:26 AM

This is the email I got from Amazon a little while ago:

Hello,

We’re writing about your recent order for "Saving Private Ryan: Sapphire Series [Blu-ray]." The manufacturer recently recalled this Blu-ray disc due to a production error that intermittently affects the synchronization of the picture and audio. They’ve fixed the issue and will be sending us unaffected copies as soon as possible.

If you find your copy has this defect, please visit our Online Returns Center to print a return mailing label.

Be sure to choose "Defective/Does not work properly" as your return option. You won’t be charged for return shipping.

We’re very sorry about this. To help make up for having to return the item to us, we’ve applied a $5 promotional certificate to Your Account to help with the cost of purchasing the new unaffected copy of the movie. To place your new order, go to the URL below and add the item to your shopping cart, then proceed to checkout:

So, if I'm reading this correctly, they're expecting me to return the bad disc to them, and then BUY IT AGAIN???? And the $5 off is supposed to make that okay? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just crazy.
Old 05-16-10, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by idvd420
So, if I'm reading this correctly, they're expecting me to return the bad disc to them, and then BUY IT AGAIN???? And the $5 off is supposed to make that okay? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just crazy.
Perhaps you're not reading it correctly. They will accept the return of the old one and refund your order completely (including any shipping). Then, you'll also get $5 off the new one.

I haven't watched mine yet. I'm going to send it back though. The only question is how long will the new version be priced at $19.99...it probably won't be that price for too long.
Old 05-16-10, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Perhaps you're not reading it correctly. They will accept the return of the old one and refund your order completely (including any shipping). Then, you'll also get $5 off the new one.

You know, you're probably right. I didn't think about it that way. The email threw me off because it didn't mention a refund, just to send the disc back to them and re-order. I guess it's to be assumed that returning includes a refund for the original.
Old 05-16-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the email from Amazon. I checked my disc and it does seem to be off but I probably wouldn't have noticed it. It's very little. I got the return info, printed the shipping label and reordered it as they instructed. Of course I still had to buy something else to get free shipping for the new order but it's not too hard for me to find something. I save low priced items I don't need right away but do want on my wish list just for this. With the $5.00 off, not a bad offer. I don't think $10.00 would have been excessive because of the inconvenience but Amazon did OK to fix this mistake that wasn't their fault. I wonder if they're being reimbursed by Paramount.
Old 05-16-10, 08:44 AM

The email threw me off because it didn't mention a refund, just to send the disc back to them and re-order. I guess it's to be assumed that returning includes a refund for the original.

^ Following the steps outlined in the e-mail, when you choose "Defective/Does not work properly" as your return option it only triggers the refund field -- no replacement option is allowed. Your original order will be refunded through the return process.
Old 05-16-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up to Amazon, once again. The $5 discount was a very generous bonus.
Old 05-16-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Good idea - me too! Heh, I almost always switch out the less desirable cases when I trade in.
Old 05-16-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

That would have been the lamest exchange ever

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.