Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

LOST - Season 6 and The Complete Collection -- 8/24/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

LOST - Season 6 and The Complete Collection -- 8/24/10

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 10:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: LOST - Season 6 and The Complete Collection -- 8/24/10

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Looks like another complete series box set that people will end up having to return due to scratched discs.
Only a very small percentage. Most know that scratches rarely affect playability and don't even notice them.
Old 08-21-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Maybe for the DVD version, but not the BD....the scratch-resistant coating is way too tough to allow any scratches just due to some measly cardboard...
I agree. If this were a DVD purchase, I'd be mad and really regretting that I sold my other seasons. Now, I'm mixed but it will be here in a few days and I'm sure I'll be fine with it. I do still want that bonus disc and I'm a sucker for the booklets with pictures and episode guides. The one that came with the Gilmore Girls was BEAUTIFUL, but I just couldn't buy that plastic doll house.

In the end, I wish we got the same packaging as the UK, with a bigger box that just included the booklet and not the other toys/crap.
Old 08-22-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I decided to cancel my pre-order of the complete set (I'll use my Amazon credit the following week for the Thriller set). I can't stand those sleeves the discs are in, they are such a pain in the ass, & the box itself is just to impractical, I would have no where to display it. I dig the way the hidden disc is packaged, but overall there is just too much junk in the set. I'll wait & hope they re-release the box set the way the Battlestar Gallactica set was re-released.
Old 08-22-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
Anyone seen the Best Buy version yet? According to the ad (seen here) it says "collectible packaging." Maybe there's hope that it's appropriately sized? It's really hard to tell from the ad, but the picture looks like it could be thicker.
Possibly, but I doubt it. Besides, I like the original cover more than Best Buy's exclusive version...
Old 08-22-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Looks like another complete series box set that people will end up having to return due to scratched discs.
Only for the anally impaired.
Old 08-22-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Only for the anally impaired.
People with colostomy bags??
Old 08-22-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I bit the bullet and bought the collectioon. For $160 that comes to about $25 for each season and $10 for all the bonus crap. I'm one of those anally impaired so I'll be picking up these:

http://www.amazon.com/STANDARD-Black...2495363&sr=8-2
Old 08-22-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
I I'm one of those anally impaired so I'll be picking up these:

http://www.amazon.com/STANDARD-Black...2495363&sr=8-2
Those cases are going to stick out like a sore thumb next to Blu-Ray cases.
Old 08-22-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Only a very small percentage. Most know that scratches rarely affect playability and don't even notice them.
It's always surprising that more people HERE don't know that. I've gotten tons of scratched/loose discs and have only ever had to return one or two for playability issues.

BTW, as soon as someone finds out what's on that bonus disc, let us know!
Old 08-22-10, 02:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's always surprising that more people HERE don't know that. I've gotten tons of scratched/loose discs and have only ever had to return one or two for playability issues.

But some of us still don't want scratches on our discs - especially when we pay $200 for a set. I know that the coat protects against most scratches, but reselling them can be a pain. Those cardboard cases are so freaking stupid. At least go the Digipack route where it's cardboard but the inside has a thin layer of plastic to protect the discs (instead of a slit in the cardboard).
Old 08-22-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Yeah, that complete packaging is pretty convoluted. (of course, that may be appropriate depending on one's opinion of the show) If I were to get the series I'd stick with individual seasons, or simply hold out if I hadn't gotten any of them yet. But, this is an example where I just don't see myself having or choosing to set aside 100+ hrs to rewatch it. As great as most of it was.. I just don't think it'd be as good the 2nd time around.
Old 08-22-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's Cuse and Lindoff admiting they made it up as they went along and what suckers we've been thinking we were actually going to get answers.
this..

what a bunch of garbage. I like the box that holds all the discs. they should have just left it at that (not that id be buying it either way considering how they wrapped up the show)
Old 08-22-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The paper folders the discs come in looks to be exactly like the ones in the complete West Wing set, and those didn't scratch or damage the discs in any way (and the discs were easily accessed), so I don't think it would be a problem here either. Unless you're so anal that you need everything uniform on your shelves - which is more of a personal problem rather than any problem with the set.
Old 08-22-10, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
The paper folders the discs come in looks to be exactly like the ones in the complete West Wing set, and those didn't scratch or damage the discs in any way (and the discs were easily accessed), so I don't think it would be a problem here either. Unless you're so anal that you need everything uniform on your shelves - which is more of a personal problem rather than any problem with the set.
As proof from this thread, many people do care about seasons not looking uniform on their shelves. Just about ever Blu-ray that had 3 or so Seasons released had an odd duck or two (Smallville is probably the worst). Looking at my shelf I have Chuck, Heroes, Lost, Pushing Daisies, Supernatural, South Park, Terminator, Weeds. Some others have minor issues with the text of a previous Season not lining up. But hey, whatever saves these studios a few pennies so they can drive in their expensive cars.
Old 08-22-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
But hey, whatever saves these studios a few pennies so they can drive in their expensive cars.
Pretty ignorant statement. These types of custom folders actually cost more to develop and produce than the regular mass-produced blu-ray cases. If they wanted to save a buck, then we'd just get a box of a few multi-disc blu-ray cases that would be perfectly uniform on your shelves.
Old 08-22-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is not some big secret...they already told us exactly what that disc contains three months ago in the press release:

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/13833#ixzz0xOBMpks7
  • A unique series of featurettes that takes viewers on very personal tours of Oahu where the series was created, with key cast and crew as they reflect.
  • Exploring the global phenomenon that is Lost, bonus showcases events ranging from the series cast and crew at San Diego's famed Comic-Con convention to international voice recordings, local events and even fan parties, all of which helped make the show into a worldwide favorite.
  • A closer look at some of the props with cast, writers and producers, exploring their significance, stories and emotional ties to the characters.
  • Humorous yet emotional look at every character who died on the series
  • 16 hilarious Lost "Slapdowns" featurettes, showcasing celebrity Lost fans who confront Executive Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse to ask press questions about the final season, including the Muppets and cast members Nestor Carbonell, Michael Emerson, Rebecca Mader and more.
Old 08-22-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Those cases are going to stick out like a sore thumb next to Blu-Ray cases.
Agreed. That's why i ended up picking up these instead:

They should be able to all fit in that big box once i toss out all that other bonus crap.

Speaking of, Is that Board game actually playable with a set of rules? I don't seem to recall any point in s6 where they show how to play it.
Old 08-22-10, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
Pretty ignorant statement. These types of custom folders actually cost more to develop and produce than the regular mass-produced blu-ray cases. If they wanted to save a buck, then we'd just get a box of a few multi-disc blu-ray cases that would be perfectly uniform on your shelves.
You mean to print some pretty pictures on? It's cardboard - thin cardboard at that. If they had tossed the normal cases inside I probably would have actually picked it up (but they can't, because that would mean making the actual case bigger and that would cost, yep, MONEY). As it stands, I don't want a tall book that won't fit on my shelves instead of the 6 Seasons (even if they all look dumb at least they fit). Gees, calm down, Blu-ray is still awesome, alright? Feel better? They could shit in a box and some Blu-ray fans would find a way to defend it.
Old 08-22-10, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhg83
Agreed. That's why i ended up picking up these instead:

They should be able to all fit in that big box once i toss out all that other bonus crap.

Speaking of, Is that Board game actually playable with a set of rules? I don't seem to recall any point in s6 where they show how to play it.
Even if you get the slimmest of slim cases (like what Lost S6 is currently packaged in), I don't think they will fit inside that case. I've seen the Complete Series in Person and it's not deep enough (but I didn't toss 6 empty cases inside). At best, you might find someone making Custom Cover art for the set (which is your best shot).
Old 08-23-10, 08:51 AM

I apologize if this has been answered already, but scrolling through these posts I didn't see an answer.

I've already watched season six, i'm just looking to watch the extra 20-30 minutes of bonus footage that I hear is going to be included on one of the discs. Anyone know which disc it is? Is it disc 5? Or is it that bonus disc that i've heard about.

The reason I ask is because I'm just going to queue up a single disc on netflix.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's closer to 6 minutes of extra footage, isn't it?
Old 08-23-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

The "New Man in Town" epilogue is 12 minutes long.
Old 08-23-10, 09:43 AM

Yeah, I'm probably wrong in the length.

Regardless, I am curious to see it and don't want to end up with the wrong disc.
Old 08-24-10, 10:06 AM

This makes me happy -- the bonus DVD that came with my Sixth Season Blu-ray set from Best Buy appears to be the same bonus disc included in the Complete Collection (and not the disc described on the outside of the packaging, which was supposed to have only 20 minutes of features including "Chicken Heaven" and "Sayid vs. Dogen").

The disc has the Letting Go, props, Planet Lost and Swan Song features, Lost Slapdowns, deleted scenes and more! Glad I got the disc without having to buy the complete series set!

Last edited by ASAPadam; 08-24-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
This makes me happy -- the bonus DVD that came with my Sixth Season Blu-ray set from Best Buy appears to be the same bonus disc included in the Complete Collection (and not the disc described on the outside of the packaging, which was supposed to have only 20 minutes of features including "Chicken Heaven" and "Sayid vs. Dogen").

The disc has the Letting Go, props, Planet Lost and Swan Song features, Lost Slapdowns, deleted scenes and more! Glad I got the disc without having to buy the complete series set!
Is the Best Buy version of Season 6 half the thickness of the other seasons? Or is it the same as previous seasons?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.