DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Miramax Dead (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/568656-miramax-dead.html)

E Unit 01-28-10 10:12 AM

Miramax Dead

Interesting. I hope the Weinsteins will sell off their entire catalog, especially the Asian films they've had a stranglehold on for so damn long. Maybe they'll get some proper releases now.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/rip-miramax-13606

Gizmo 01-28-10 10:17 AM

Re: Miramax Dead

Shocked! Nahh, not really. This has been coming for a long time, and with Pixar joining them, it was about time. Next will be them dumping the Dimension release.

What happens to Blu-rays in limbo though?

E Unit 01-28-10 10:18 AM

I'm most curious about those. I'm guessing Dragon Dynasty dies as well? Would that be the case?

Joe Molotov 01-28-10 10:27 AM

Dragon Dynasty is part of the The Weinstein Company. The Weinsteins don't have anything to do with Miramax anymore.

Gizmo 01-28-10 10:28 AM

Pulp Fiction has been delayed forever...so who knows what happens. It's possible the rights will be sold to Alliance (like all the other Mirimax titles). Or maybe it's just new titles? Will the current Blu-rays go Out of Print? Lots of unanswered questions. Don't forget - MGM is currently being sold off as well.

Joe Molotov 01-28-10 10:33 AM

I assume Disney will continue to release Miramax films on Blu-Ray unless they sell it, it sounds like this really only effects unreleased films.

Bob_Bobbson 01-28-10 10:42 AM

Anyone else have the feeling this will end up like what happened with New Line & Warner Bros?

Disney will close Miramax, but they will continue to release those movies themselves, with the Miramax name slapped on the box. Like a brand name of sorts.

Brandonct 01-28-10 11:02 AM

Is Disney's asking price for the Miramax catalog simply too high or are other studios simply looking to "pick and choose" more than take the whole shabang?

DonnachaOne 01-28-10 11:15 AM

Rob Iger of Disney said he was willing to part with Miramax for $1.5 Billion.

Yeah, with a "b".

It's funny to see how so many people still thought the Weinsteins were in charge even though they've been gone from the company for five years. Harvey's shadow still looms large, it seems.

I'm a little surprised to read that Miramax's upcoming flicks may not even be released this year, if at all. Come now, Sam Worthington's next two flicks, Last Night and The Debt, are Miramax films. Sure he's bland as a gloomy day, but surely they'll get some cash from slapping the star of Avatar's mug on a poster.

Drexl 01-28-10 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 9968370)
Anyone else have the feeling this will end up like what happened with New Line & Warner Bros?

Disney will close Miramax, but they will continue to release those movies themselves, with the Miramax name slapped on the box. Like a brand name of sorts.

I just hope they keep making the same kinds of movies. It's sad to see Miramax go down.

JayDerek 01-28-10 12:12 PM

*sigh* time to import the Pulp Fiction blu-ray now I think

Josh-da-man 01-28-10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 9968428)
Rob Iger of Disney said he was willing to part with Miramax for $1.5 Billion.

Yeah, with a "b".

$1.5 billion is a lot for Miramax; outside of a handful of cult films like Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Clerks, and Trainspotting, and Best Picture Winners like Shakespeare in Love and English Patient, their catalog is mostly foreign and art films with limited appeal.

Not sure, but does Miramax also include the Dimension films like The Crow and Scream?

At any rate, Disney seems very slow to dip into the Miramax catalog on Blu-ray.

Willh51 01-28-10 12:37 PM

The Weinstein Company is on the verge of closing too, which is a shame. I would think Disney will keep releasing the Blu-rays that they think will make them money. I'm not so sure how this bodes for new special features and such though. I guess Disney could do them.

At least Gangs' remaster made it out before the collapse. I think Doubt is the most recent Miramax film I own.

Gizmo 01-28-10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9968549)

At any rate, Disney seems very slow to dip into the Miramax catalog on Blu-ray.

They continue to sell off release rights to Alliance. It's not like all of those titles are bad movies either.

PopcornTreeCt 01-28-10 12:54 PM

Maybe this will mean somebody can give Malena a proper uncut release on Blu-ray.

Joe Molotov 01-28-10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9968549)
Not sure, but does Miramax also include the Dimension films like The Crow and Scream?

The Weinsteins have the Dimension label, but I'm not sure if that includes the back catalog.

Gizmo 01-28-10 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov (Post 9968722)
The Weinsteins have the Dimension label, but I'm not sure if that includes the back catalog.

No, I think they have the name and can slap it on any new title they release, but all other Dimension films belong to Disney. However, they retained the rights to sequels (i.e. Scream 4 will be a Weinstein release, but Disney still owns the rights to the first 3). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

critterdvd 01-28-10 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9968745)
No, I think they have the name and can slap it on any new title they release, but all other Dimension films belong to Disney. However, they retained the rights to sequels (i.e. Scream 4 will be a Weinstein release, but Disney still owns the rights to the first 3). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 99% that you are correct.

tylergfoster 01-28-10 04:50 PM

If you'd have told me a year ago that Miramax would go under before The Weinstein Company, I wouldn't have believed you.

Gizmo 01-28-10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9969179)
If you'd have told me a year ago that Miramax would go under before The Weinstein Company, I wouldn't have believed you.

Dumbasses keep on giving Weinsteins more money. Seriously, they must be great in the sack.

The Valeyard 01-28-10 06:28 PM

(Update Thursday: A Disney spokeswoman called to protest that Miramax is not 'dead.' "Miramax will consoldiate its operations within Walt Disney Studios, and will be releasing a smaller number of films than in previous years. But it will continue to operate within the Walt Disney Studios," she said.)

lamphorn 01-28-10 06:35 PM

This is sadder than the death of that one-hit-wonder novelist-recluse-pissdrinker who also died today.

BuckNaked2k 01-28-10 06:41 PM

I sure wish someone else would get the rights to the Dragon Dynasty films the W's currently have. They have done a terrible job with these releases to date.

A company with a better appreciation/understanding of the genre would presumptively do a much better job.

RocShemp 01-28-10 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 9969328)
This is sadder than the death of that one-hit-wonder novelist-recluse-pissdrinker who also died today.

I hated that over-rated piece of crap novel of his that I was forced to read in high school so I feel nothing regarding his passing.

GenPion 01-28-10 11:17 PM

That's interesting that Disney will still release films under the Miramax logo. Sweet!