Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

Old 04-13-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

Okay the BB actually had it out! I'm shocked!

Anyway, they had about 4 of them at $24.99. I had about $5 on my gift card and my $10 RZ certificate so I walked out of there with it for $11.44 after tax. Not bad, I think!

I took a look at the scene where Tina is dragged up the wall and it looks and sounds great. I'm very happy with this release.

Just a side note, it took a very long time to load. For a few minutes I thought it wasn't going to work
Old 04-13-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Adam Tyner,

I noticed on AV Maniacs, you mentioned that a sound effect was missing from the BD. I think this was the case with the Canadian BD, can you (or anyone else) confirm that certain sound effects/cues are missing from the U.S release?
I know the music in Glenn's headphones and the knives scratching when Freddy rounds the boiler looking for Nancy (right before she lights him on fire) were among some of the missing sound effects on the Infinifilm DVD. I haven't had a chance to check my Blu-ray out yet.

I went to Best Buy (Schaumburg, IL) and they had 5 copies in the "N" section. Nothing in the new releases section... nothing on an end cap... it made me sad. I guess I was hoping Freddy would get a little more love than that.

I used a printout from Walmart.com so I got it for $16.86. The cashier's only concern seemed to be that the Blu-ray didn't state "Widescreen" on it like the printout did. She actually called a manager over to ask about it. If she was going to decline the price match on those grounds, I pictured myself laughing and saying "That's the reason you won't price match this? Because it doesn't say 'Widescreen?' Wait 'til the guys on the internet hear about this." But the manager said it was widescreen and all was good.
Old 04-13-10, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes it even funnier, is that there is no fullscreen blu rays.Well, only old movies that were 1.33 academy ratio.I would of lmao right in front of that totally clueless cashier.
Old 04-13-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I went to Best Buy (Schaumburg, IL) and they had 5 copies in the "N" section. Nothing in the new releases section... nothing on an end cap... it made me sad. I guess I was hoping Freddy would get a little more love than that.
Yeah I was going to mention that too, they were in the N section not new releases, but again I believe that's how it was last year for Friday the 13th also, I think that was in the alphabetized section not the new releases.

Originally Posted by bammer
I would of lmao right in front of that totally clueless cashier.
It's stuff like this that drives me up the wall. I've been trying to get a job at BB for 2 years and even with help from a friend who worked there I couldn't even get in for a fucking interview! And yet that place is FILLED with people who don't know shit about the stuff in the place they work at!
Old 04-13-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Adam Tyner,

I noticed on AV Maniacs, you mentioned that a sound effect was missing from the BD. I think this was the case with the Canadian BD, can you (or anyone else) confirm that certain sound effects/cues are missing from the U.S release?
Yeah, I mentioned it in my review too. I'd seen a list of missing effects posted here, and when I checked one of them -- Tina ripping Freddy's face off leading up to her kill -- there's absolutely no sound there.
Old 04-13-10, 04:31 PM

Ive heard that all the sounds are on the mono track, on the blu ray.Any truth to that ????
Old 04-13-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Ive heard that all the sounds are on the mono track, on the blu ray.Any truth to that ????
The torn face is missing on the DTS-HD MA track and the mono track. I'd bet it's the exact same mono track that's on the DVD.
Old 04-13-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got the last copy from Best Buy for $16.86.
Old 04-13-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only checked the two sounds that I mentioned (see below) and they were both present on the mono track, but missing from the DTS track. I'll check the rest of it out later tonight after the kiddies head off to bed.

I know the music in Glenn's headphones and the knives scratching when Freddy rounds the boiler looking for Nancy (right before she lights him on fire) were among some of the missing sound effects on the Infinifilm DVD.
Old 04-14-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to BB, pricematched it to Fry's. Woo-hoo! Now I can listen to the commentaries while I do mind-numbing database work.
Old 04-14-10, 04:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watching it now. Looks fantastic. I love this movie.
Old 04-14-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I only checked the two sounds that I mentioned (see below) and they were both present on the mono track, but missing from the DTS track. I'll check the rest of it out later tonight after the kiddies head off to bed.
Aargh. I'm dumb. When I originally checked this, I clicked the 'Audio' button on my remote till I got to a mono track. I guess I assumed the first thing I hit was the English mono, but this is clearly not correct.

When I set the English mono track through the menu, I absolutely am hearing these sound effects.
Old 04-14-10, 09:50 AM

I dont get it, on dvd beavers review, it says that greek subtitles are included on the blu ray.On igns review, it says english french and spanish only.So which sites is right ??????
Old 04-14-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone having audio-sync issues? My copy arrives tomorrow, but I've read several complaints on blu-ray.com about sync issues happening a few times in the film.
Old 04-14-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Watching it now. Looks fantastic. I love this movie.
I agree. The PQ is jaw droppingly outstanding. Was NOT expecting it to look that great. It looks like the film could have been made last year. Too bad everything else feels dated Seriously, I haven't seen this film since the mid 80's and I felt myself laughing out loud a few time. And for all the wrong reaons.
Old 04-14-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Anyone having audio-sync issues? My copy arrives tomorrow, but I've read several complaints on blu-ray.com about sync issues happening a few times in the film.
It's crappy ADR work. You can tell because the dialogue is ridiculously clear in those stretches too.

I dont get it, on dvd beavers review, it says that greek subtitles are included on the blu ray.On igns review, it says english french and spanish only.So which sites is right ??????
IGN is just rattling off the specs on the box. The disc has lots and lots of subtitles. Warner very frequently includes more subs than they promote on the packaging.
Old 04-14-10, 12:18 PM

Thanks for that, Adam.
Old 04-14-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
i thought the sync was a little odd when nancy goes to visit rod in jail but it wasn't anything major.
Old 04-14-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Aargh. I'm dumb. When I originally checked this, I clicked the 'Audio' button on my remote till I got to a mono track. I guess I assumed the first thing I hit was the English mono, but this is clearly not correct.

When I set the English mono track through the menu, I absolutely am hearing these sound effects.
Great to hear the effects are on the mono track. Thanks for all the info!

Like many here, I couldn't resist. Went ahead and bought the disc at Best Buy yesterday. Only 2 copies there which surprised me a little.
Old 04-14-10, 03:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree. The PQ is jaw droppingly outstanding. Was NOT expecting it to look that great. It looks like the film could have been made last year. Too bad everything else feels dated Seriously, I haven't seen this film since the mid 80's and I felt myself laughing out loud a few time. And for all the wrong reaons.
The only thing I felt that REALLY felt dated was the elongated arms in Tina's dream.
Old 04-14-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I felt that REALLY felt dated was the elongated arms in Tina's dream.
Well, the goofy dialogue didn't help. But yeah, I laughed at that scene too.

You know, I was about to say that New Line never disappoints on their BD releases but then "The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring" refreshed my memory.
Old 04-14-10, 04:12 PM

People need to realize, that New Line does not exist anymore.Its just Warner Bros in disguise, in a freaking costume disguise, lol !
Old 04-14-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Daytripper
You know, I was about to say that New Line never disappoints on their BD releases but then "The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring" refreshed my memory.
New Line had that nasty habit of hyper-DNR-ing pretty much everything they churned out. They disappointed me pretty regularly.
Old 04-14-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The scene itself or the bad special effect?

I remember seeing that scene in the commercial when the movie first came out and it freaked the hell out of me.

Also, I was at a Walmart today... ZERO copies. Not even a spot on the shelf for it.

I realize that NL is really WB, but Nightmare is a pretty lucrative franchise. You'd think they'd give it a little more love than this extremely underwhelming release. I'm referring to the promotion itself, not the PQ or AQ.
Old 04-14-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People need to realize, that New Line does not exist anymore.Its just Warner Bros in disguise, in a freaking costume disguise, lol !
D'OH! I keep doing that. That, and writing 2009 on my checks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.